Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQU9VRWdn4
I'm sure you're aware of this sort of place but just in case people are curious where their yummy animal products come from. This is in the UK. The sound alone, eeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Sometimes I'll buy weed on the street and it'll be dimed out in the small ziploc bags. I always bring my empty little baggies back to my guy when I get more and we joke about saving the planet.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Hubbert posted:

I will say how much I enjoy seeing "collapse" as a mainstream topic now.

Ten years ago, we were all lone loonies.

These days, we're just doomers.

I bag groceries at a co-op in Minneapolis sometimes, so I interact with pretty left people, and lots of NPR Liberals. Weather and climate stuff comes up in the bagging small talk and I'll say something like "The climate is ruined, we're all going to die soon lol." People almost never disagree, usually they'll laugh and say yeah, maybe give out about some hopeful carbon sequester thing. Subaru driving grey hairs with Wellstone stickers get wistful, still think we can vote our way out. We'll lament humanity and its greed, the state of USA politics, joke about roving gangs of water bandits. poo poo is wild. Although I think a lot of people are resigned to the fate of the planet kicking us off it sooner than we'd hoped, most people are still in the coping phase of 'we have 100+ years to go, humanity will find a way, not life as we know it BUT bla bla bla.'

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

munce posted:

https://twitter.com/Roolockwood/status/1395595298559315971
"Economists have made-up their own numbers on climate change" based on a "crazy-bad assumption" says Australian economist @ProfSteveKeen
And if they are wrong, "we are screwed."

This is great. He mentions Paul Beckwith who is a Canadian professor with a Youtube channel. I'm sure a lot of you are aware but if not, good channel to poke around, lots of good knowledge amidst the rambling especially for jetstream breakdown info. I watch at 1.5x speed because life is getting too shorter every new study released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXLljrJK1ks

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Dont look up was trash. happy ending though.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Ever since i started watching Alone ive been carving my own spoons out of wood... great gifts.

Bought a sewing machine a few years ago, paid for itself many times over in sock repair and restoration alone.

All the plastic talk in the thread is my latest crack. I knew it was plastic world but never stopped and took account of all the plastic im looking at and touching at all times. Creeps me out! Everything on earth was biodegradable until what 1900? Lol lmao

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Rime posted:

Until 1960-ish. We've set that demon free in a single lifespan.

I know thats industrial scale and whats fifty years in humanity but bakelite/polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride fully synthetic material was made in 1907.

Appreciate that plastic post it definitely made me feel warm when i first read it.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Nothing like living in a city with a large state university. Every June you can drive around student housing dumpsters/alleys mix and match beer soaked ikea parts and make something useful. Or throw things off the bridge into the river and skip the middleman.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Hello??? The planet is going to kick us off of it soon, you think I have time to watch Network for the 50th time at regular speed?

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Alobar posted:

lol carjackings will make a big comeback, i think

i've seen someone get carjacked, it doesn't look that hard

Bullets can be exchanged for goods and services.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

My plan is to live somewhere as comfortable and affordable as possible until something kills me.

loving same. I'll be praying for an asteroid with an arrival date when I can't find the guts to kill myself.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Let's stop all c02 emissions overnight and see what happens

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Hopefully there is an investment opportunity somewhere in all this tragedy. maybe Sri Lankans could gather the S tier primo plastic and we could formulate a super plastic 'ivory' in some wasteful process.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
speaking of addictions I just want to live long enough to see the internet go away. I will miss you all but that's the final frontier.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Alcohol?

I don't even like tobacco or alcohol but I'm considering keeping a little stash of it around for trading.

Anyone who has been in lockup can make you some alcohol.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Torpor posted:

the word doom comes from an old-Germanic word for judgment so that is pretty funny in this context.

german has over 100 words for judgment.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

coma guy is right insofar as the models aren't right, which we can observe by how each time they become more accurate it turns out were hosed harder and faster than previously thought possible lmao

hehe i thought the exact same thing

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
like blanche dubois said i have always depended on the climate crisis solutions of federal policy and investment

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
posting on page 420 of my favorite thread.

i think about every month as something like .5 - 1% of my remaining life these days. lol. what's the worst that happens? i'm wrong and humanity lives and i don't have any savings. lmao.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

yeah i was looking forward to retiring at age 85 now i don't have to worry

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I think predictions of complete global collapse in the next 5-10 years aren’t supported by evidence yet. While things are fragile, and America in particular is closer to a breaking point politically, global collapse seems likely to take longer than that.

15-20 work for you?

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

It looks like you're writing a manifesto! Would you like help formatting your kill list?

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
imagine having the patience to wait for lil juicers to freeze. what are you all monks. the floor of mom's 92 mazda would look like the pacific trash gyre on the way home from kmart.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I don’t find the argument that climate change means immoral things no longer are immoral very relevant because i never based my morality on a prerequisite that human civilization lasts forever.

It is still possible for one to do something immoral even if you’re on a life boat that’s stranded in the sargasso and everyone is doomed to die.

agreed.

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Dec 9, 2022

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
covid made me a lot dumber and post more. even posting 'your actions matter' cringe in this holy place. i'm sorry. humans are going bye bye real soon glad to be loling with ya'll

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
you thought the next election might be the most important of your life? let's go ahead and confirm, most important election of your life is coming up. vote.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

Lmfao peep this headline

Historic Senate Climate Deal Would Reduce Emissions 40% By 2030
https://www.ecowatch.com/senate-climate-deal.html

Guess things aren't that bad, yet, afterall

compared to 2005 levels lmao

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
always bet on blackwater

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

I don't think people around me in real life realise how quickly I am to abandon all sense of morality in order just to survive another day in the hellscape that's to come.

way ahead of you. i already live in a hellscape where my morality was abandoned in order just to survive.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just start smoking.

You have some catching up to do, I suggest nonfilters.

22 year old co worker said she was waiting 3 years to see if the planet was habitable before she quits. then we joked about the miserable ways we would die when society collapses lmao

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

looks like half hot half cold to me, nature knows what its doing

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

New pepsi ad is confusing.

generation nixed

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Your vision is cope too. It's all cope.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

ArfJason posted:

We have overloaded the planet with cringe. And now, we're paying the price.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
~100 years of unlimited cheese was totally worth it
https://twitter.com/UberFacts/status/1541834569049116673?s=20&t=itaVqawf3yrZcLRyXOzcuQ

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
faster than expected

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

cO2 cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

i'm convinced, someone should do something