Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Two threads I'm posting in em both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Correction: The CC thread has been closed, I'm not "posting in em both"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Living in a world where people are being told to kindly go outside and stomp bugs for the good of us all. Lol. Lmao [stomps a bug] I'm helping lol. Lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

blatman posted:

if u dont want to watch all 69 hours of nature abhors a dome, here's a quick summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

I watch this in full whenever it's posted. Funnier every time lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Goddammit no no loving Malthusian chat it's page four of the thread omg please

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Microplastics making you sound like some ripper-esque paranoid shithead whenever you tell anyone about it because of how concerning it is for all life ftw

"You don't even notice them cause they're invisible to the naked eye! They are everywhere! Everywhere! They're in everything! You're breathing them in right now, probably. You're drinking them whenever you sip that water you have in your hand there! They're everywhere and they're invisible and they're making you fat and sterile and your kids autistic!!"
"It's been a long day for you huh, sport? Come on let's get you to bed. That's right, come with me. That's right. It's okay."

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this just put the biggest grin on my face. it won't go away. it's starting to hurt. this is probably normal

i'm seriously still laughing about the lanternflies. it finally happened, ive been Jokerfied. lol. lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

We're going to get to live through the lovely and miserable decline while missing out on the catharsis of total collapse, or being too old to care. Worst of all worlds imo

The worldwide labor shortage is at least partially caused by the "catharsis of total collapse".

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpTIrx6uAA

the way the host just spits out "during rush hour traffic" when talking about some protestors in this clip made me lol a bit

then i got to this bit and went full lol. lmao.

that is a motorist on the m25 hitting somebody and [...] that's a price you think is worth paying. to, not only for a life to be lost, but for the impact that would have on a driver trying to go about their normal business. can you imagine the impact of that?"

lol. lmao.

and then the hosts attack the guy for not having his own home insulated yet. lollllllll

This is a bad look. If you get invited on as the climate change believer and don't laugh uproariously at every question posed you're embarrassing yourself

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long until climate change activists start self immolating like buddhist monks? can't wait for shitlords to start making fun of them for that because even though i expect it in my lifetime it's still gonna be a crack ping for me.

3 Years ago Rest in Power David Buckel

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
He really is a coward though, he kept following them. Activism is pointless, let's get that out of the way. Anyhoo, who cares if his own protestors die? They are taking that risk. They will die prematurely, as their children will, and they had no choice in that. In this at least they get to exercise choice. Who cares if an old lady died cause she couldn't get to hospital cause of protests? How many seniors died in England in the heatwave two summers ago? How many will die when the roads split in half, and loving nobody can get to hospital? I think he's a little squeamish for activism. He invokes Churchill and war but doesn't see it as a war at all or else doesn't know what war is.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Climate and COVID are twins in the foreclosure of civil liberties and the enclosure of the working class into its transformation into serfs and lower castes. Policies which claim to be in place to remediate climate and COVID are farces, ineffective, outright lies, only effective in establishing, developing, entrenching fascism. None of the policies, mind you, solve either problem even a little bit. So don't laugh at your friend too much, he is at least resisting this unnecessity of enslavement, justified by these illusions of benediction, even if only a little.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Captain Gordon posted:

so how many pipelines/big oil execs have you blown up so far

Second sentence bozo. I was far too young when those things would've mattered and they wouldn't have mattered then either unless there was magically, somehow popular support for those actions. Which there never was because the media was captured and ManBearPig lol Al Gore

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are we at the "it's too late to do anything to stop it stage" or is there still hope?

There is no possibility of averting catastrophic climate change that renders the planet unrecognizable and the majority of the biosphere, from plants and animals to breathable and livable ecologies themselves, dead.

But if you're looking for a fight the ruling class is right now transforming you into a serf and the globe into their plantation. We are not too far from a world where only the privileged will be able to go to the beach, say. So if there's a fight you're looking for there's a worthy one to be had - however it only secures a better, more free, more comfortable dying. loving worth it to me. If I got like twenty years left (I believe I have far far less but nevertheless) I'd sooner be shot dead in 5 than spend the remaining 15 a slave.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's a little weird how every time someone pops into the thread to ask if there's hope to do something about this everyone trips over each other to say "no" in their own way. You'd think once is enough but people really feel compelled to be the bearers of this bad news. I know I've done it but I'm not really sure why. It almost feels good to do it. Something's going on but maybe it's just that misery loves company.:shrug:

I correctly pointed out there's worthwhile work to be done, despite "no" and the futility of climate change efforts it's still important to rally the good people to become active participants (fighters, rather than victims) in the ongoing class war - which the working class finds itself on the precipice of losing totally. :mad:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Really? The working class lost decades ago? You're a slave now? If your boss tells you to suck his dick you have to do it, under threat of death?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You can go to the park, to the beach, you can use a road, you can receive pre-collegiate education, firefighters will douse your home, all for free! For free! Right now. Yes right now there are still public programs. Right now there are still public spaces. This is coming to an end. They will steal the world from you, your birthright, and charge you to rent a slice of it for an hour at a time.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What have we done? :negative:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Here we go! Get ready for the fascism, baby! I forget which country recently put in a proposal to limit driving to 3,000km per year and then you need to pay for every mile above that. It's a farce, dummies. Money will buy you out of any responsibility and the ruling class will do nothing whatsoever to curb emissions while they demand and force you to tamp down your pathetically small contributions to the crisis (relative to the policies and industries and war they maintain and create). They don't really give a gently caress about your emissions but it's useful to make you a slave, eh?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

tiberion02 posted:

This thread will accept people who are in stages 1 (denial-though, stay in the thread and you wont be there long), 2 (anger), 4 (depression), 5 (acceptance) or 6 (meaning)...... but absolutely will not entertain the bullshit involved in stage 3 (bargaining).

Nature Abhors a Dome

What? Yes we will entertain it. I mean we don't tell people to gently caress off when they bring bargaining in we just point by point tell them why there is no bargain.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Anger is just a manifestation of depression and it was silly to split them into distinct categories. Well I mean generally grief doesn't work in those stages in that order or anything, but they're all in the mix.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hope was oppressive for me, when I cast it off I became better.

If a miracle occurs I will sing but I don't sit around waiting for miracles to happen so that I may sing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

lol. lmao

This is not even new, just more obvious today. It was immediately obvious when the GND (the Dem one, not the Green one that they vitiated (which also sucks, by the way!)) was inked but not so difficult to figure out before then either. Anyway make sure you fight back, you have a duty to yourself and your community! Good luck!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bill Maher had a "New Rule" about 2-3 weeks ago where he advocated for moving water from the East to the West.

"Don't tell me it can't be done, there've been studies and we have oil pipelines all over the place!"

Yeah, except those tend to travel over flat plains, not over continental divides. And he never brings up *volume*. The pipe width that would be needed would be...Brobdingnagian.

The general message was "*I* personally don't want to have to move from where I'm comfortable because of the consequences of climate change, so literally move heaven and hundreds of trillions of tons of earth so I don't have to." :colbert:

Here's the clip if you can stand seven minutes of near-LD50 levels of :colbert: and :smug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsExSNfNXQ

Loving this post. Good posting here folks, jot this down.

Anyway, who had East Coast/West Coast Civil Water War on their bingo card?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
[Hacking Pepsi's Night Sky Disc Array Advertising (NSDAA) to read "Give Up Hope"]

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sedisp posted:

Ehhh not really. Depression isn't really :( it's more of I just do not have the energy to do anything and everything that once brought me joy is empty.

Suffered it for 20 years friend. But you didn't define anger.

Depression is defined by an inward focused rage. Something, whatever it may be, overwhelms your capacity to tolerate the stimuli. Now at that point you can either resolve the issue or continue to suffer. However, when the capacity to resolve the issue is beyond your capabilities this abundance of energy (overwhelmed) has no expression. Because it is now trapped, as it were, something's gotta give. So rage becomes manifest. It can go inward, into the self as the object of focus (dimming of what is outside the self) - depression. Or it can go outward, into others as the object of focus (dimming what is inside the self) - anger.

A common thought of the depressive is "I hate the world, I hate everyone, I hate myself"; it's the same for the perpetually angry, but one clause shorter.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sedisp posted:

Unless are you like saying anger is more of a misunderstood concept and what we call depression is inward focused anger that just obviously can't be productive?

That's correct. It can be productive, however the production is self-destruction.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'll eat any edible bug. I'm still pissed that Andrew Zimmern visited a ranch in my state that served him up roasted tarantula but when I tried to track the place down I couldn't find any contact information whatsoever. Gimme da tarantula!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
How much food do you really need to eat? How much water do you really need to drink? How warm do you really need to be? How much air do you really need to breath? How much smoke is bad for you, really? Do you really need shoes with soles? Do you really need sweaters with sleeves? Do you really need to see your dying relatives? Do you really need to choose where you live? Do you really need to travel? Do you really need an education? Do you really need a pet? Do you really need to hike? Do you really need to be compensated for socially useful labor? Do you really need sunlight? Do you really need more living space than a bedroom?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Car Hater posted:

Lmao if Guy McPherson ends up validated after all

:)

Now watch this drive!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chevron just put a man under house arrest for two years and then imprisoned him for an additional six months. And scarcely anyone knows about it. Think about that. Has a private corporation ever previously managed to imprison a US citizen in the US?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rapacity posted:

I care less about the “domes” or whatever weird techno fantasies you have than I care about the fact that our natural world is already immeasurably poorer than it was even when I was born less than 50 years ago. Millions of years of diversity and interdependence crushed into the polluted dirt.

I'm sorry these dumb people have upset you. Come, come let us rejoice and forget. Yea, join us here and sing: lol. Lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Privatization stopped technology. You can't progress technologically funding exclusively consumer facing products or otherwise products required to produce a profit.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Intercity bus lines are surprisingly robust in the US although can be expensive too and always uncomfortable. Trains are more expensive than flying in most cases.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rime posted:

This is not rational. The rational thing is to organize and take control of political systems to enact the changes we need.

Depression is a natural response, but that doesn't make it a rational response. The media forces that stoke and promote a depressive response are extremely dangerous. Don't give in to that poo poo. Have some fight in you.

Better things are possible. They're happening right now. For example, just think of how much worse we'd be if Trump was still in office.

As long as people are doing something, anything, then it means we can hold out hope just a little longer.

:downs:

Actually that is the rational thing but not to prevent climate disaster or anything, just to not suffer needlessly as we die. Not everything is written in stone, we can at least make the hospice beds nicer.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

hahahaha oh my god we're so loving dead

They only print that stuff to make me want to kill myself. Hang in there.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You can't hold politicians accountable because they're not accountable to you. Everyone doing lesser evil voting for decades now has made that only more true but it's always been the case. How in the world can someone hold Joe Biden accountable? How? Through what mechanism? Who?

There are only three effective methods of accountability in human history that we know of: bullets, nooses, and guillotines.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rutibex posted:

thats not true at all
:eng101:
Phalaris was roasted alive in a bronze bull
Aristomachos of Argos was tortured to death
Amastris was drowned by her own sons
Crassis was fed molten gold
Coes of Mytilene was stoned to death...

In Prague there were windows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rime posted:

Just to be clear I've been doing a bit all day, I haven't spontaneously developed Lib-brain.

I just wrote a serious post and scrolled and saw this. Close call.

If anyone seriously doesn't understand why people in a doomed world post doom commiserate with other people posting doom feel free to ask or just think about it for five or ten minutes instead