Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

scary ghost dog posted:

you can buy a premodded gb/gba for only slight markup but i did a bunch of shopping with the same intent and came to the conclusion that buying a ds lite is cheaper and smarter because its backlit already and can play gb, gba and ds games

Yea true good point On both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
counter point the ds lite is a piece of poo poo with the worst feeling dpad and buttons in the world and a lovely ghosty screen

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FastestGunAlive posted:

I still have a decent amount of my gb, gba, and ngpc games so I’ve been thinking bout becoming a handheld gaming collector. I’ve been peeping gameboy mods for a few months and there’s a lot of cool ones but I don’t know if i have the patience or talent for that

Most of the mods for the Gameboy these days can be done with zero soldering. Even the ones that do require it, it ends up being like one wire.

My favorite of all the mods I've done is the Gameboy Color, modded with the FreckleShack screen and a speaker amp. The speaker amp requires a little soldering but it's not necessary. It makes the GBC so loud you can hear it on another floor of your house.

absolutely anything posted:

counter point the ds lite is a piece of poo poo with the worst feeling dpad and buttons in the world and a lovely ghosty screen

yeah the DS Lite screen is pretty bad.

After years of research I have come to the conclusion that visually speaking, the best way to play GB, GBC, and GBA games is a modded DSi XL.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

Why are 2 and 3 switched around.

I don’t know.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Most of the mods for the Gameboy these days can be done with zero soldering. Even the ones that do require it, it ends up being like one wire.

My favorite of all the mods I've done is the Gameboy Color, modded with the FreckleShack screen and a speaker amp. The speaker amp requires a little soldering but it's not necessary. It makes the GBC so loud you can hear it on another floor of your house.

yeah the DS Lite screen is pretty bad.

After years of research I have come to the conclusion that visually speaking, the best way to play GB, GBC, and GBA games is a modded DSi XL.

if youre going to be modding the console you might as well mod a 3DS so you can play Every Nintendo Handheld

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

if youre going to be modding the console you might as well mod a 3DS so you can play Every Nintendo Handheld

yeah, having both is ideal; I just really like the DSi XL for the dual IPS screens (they all have them) and the 1:1 pixel ratio for DS, GBA, and GB games look amazing

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
the best way to play gameboy games is the analouge pocket coming out in 2050 when they finally finish producing their 100 preorder units

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Use the pirated version of the soulja boy porate consile avaipble now on aliexpress

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

yeah, having both is ideal; I just really like the DSi XL for the dual IPS screens (they all have them) and the 1:1 pixel ratio for DS, GBA, and GB games look amazing

i think i just got a bingo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fartlancer posted:

the best way to play gameboy games is the analouge pocket coming out in 2050 when they finally finish producing their 100 preorder units

I got in on a black one, a white one, and a dock :cool:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the best way to play gameboy games is to throw the game boy in the garbage and boot up a lynx

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lynx is one of the rare consoles I don't own, and have never even played. I never even knew anyone who had one, and I knew people who had a 3do, Neo Geo, and CDi

I always thought the flip screen button was awesome though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
was fantasizing about the chrome panasonic gamecube today

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lynx is one of the rare consoles I don't own, and have never even played. I never even knew anyone who had one, and I knew people who had a 3do, Neo Geo, and CDi

my brother had one and i thought it ws the coolest poo poo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my cousin had one because his parents were on speed all the time and getting a divorce so they didn't have time to pick out a good handheld between all the meth and divorcing

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

it's a shame Atari didn't make more consoles to go with their naming scheme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItRcMuraCI

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

my friend lent me an atari jaguar for a while once. i thought it was cool but i think i played maybe an hour of flashback on it. he probably had some other games but i'm looking at the list of all jaguar games and i don't recognize any of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
which is funny because they also had so few games

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

My local rental store had a Jaguar to rent and I rented it a couple of times. The only game I remember playing was Alien vs Predator and it kicked rear end. Don’t know if it holds up

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

My local rental store had a Jaguar to rent and I rented it a couple of times. The only game I remember playing was Alien vs Predator and it kicked rear end. Don’t know if it holds up

its literally the only reason to own the drat console

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

my brother had one of these too nd to this day i dont know why he was such an atari fanboy. alien vs predator kicked rear end though

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i thought alien vs predator was one of them but apparently it's an fps and i don't remember that at all. i thought it was a side scroller.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

b_d posted:

i thought alien vs predator was one of them but apparently it's an fps and i don't remember that at all. i thought it was a side scroller.

the SNES and Gameboy versions of AvP are sidescrolling beat em ups. the Atari Jaquar version was a FPS

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
One day my dad came home from work and for whatever reason he had a used jaguar and a bunch of games probably a year or two after it was released. I played the poo poo out of avp, doom, and flip out but everything else was not great

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Missed the boat a bit now, but if I was gonna do this kind of thing I reckon I'd slowly build up a collection of old Amiga games.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
anyone ever have one of these i thought it was a hoax the first time i saw a picture of one

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

anyone ever have one of these i thought it was a hoax the first time i saw a picture of one

that is VERY obviously NOT a cube

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

scary ghost dog posted:

i have one but i need to fix the disc drive

Bicyclops posted:

like it even needs to be said

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
There's a cube inside it

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

desperately holding dialogue enhancer while playing sonic adventure dx.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

It is when you add the $1,300 Gameboy Player to the bottom

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

these were only released in japan and didn't sell all that well. When i first learned about them from a retro gaming youtube channel and wanted one really bad. Not because it can play dvds or gamecube games but because it looks cool as hell and limited edition consoles own but it also costs a bunch of money and that doesnt own.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I still feel like an idiot for not buying it from Lik Sang back in like 2002 or whenever it came out. I couldn't justify the $300 price tag for it and now if you want a working one you're looking in the $800 range. Also the front reflective part is ridiculously scratch prone so any you find on eBay most likely will look like poo poo.

There's a lot of stupid things about it though like the spdif port doesn't work for gamecube games and the component port doesn't work for DVDs lol

Still can't believe they actually bothered to make a Gameboy player for it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Gamcube stove to go with my PS3 grill

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roth posted:

A Gamcube stove to go with my PS3 grill

a gamer has to eat too

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

*nervously* going to rgb mod my n64

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

It's definitely one of the easier mods as long as you're somewhat comfortable with soldering. Just make sure your motherboard is one of the earlier revisions or else it won't work.

Let me know if you need any help

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely one of the easier mods as long as you're somewhat comfortable with soldering. Just make sure your motherboard is one of the earlier revisions or else it won't work.

lol, like clockwork.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

i've thought about doing this but sending it to a "professional" costs too much money and i dont trust myself to solder anything more complicated than a save battery lol. good luck on the console modding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its say works on all models https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209&rn=548&action=show_detail, looks like the master has become the student