Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Like I guess it's cool that the format is slow enough to turns off from affecting the board for once, but skipping turn 3 and 4 to play 15/15 worth of French vanilla stats on turn 5 isn't exactly thrilling gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feelix posted:

Like I guess it's cool that the format is slow enough to turns off from affecting the board for once, but skipping turn 3 and 4 to play 15/15 worth of French vanilla stats on turn 5 isn't exactly thrilling gameplay

:wrong:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Playing bigger creatures than your opp can handle is the purest and best Magic sorry

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I play a larger and larger green man.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

new thread title please

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Silhouette posted:

new thread title please

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Silhouette posted:

new thread title please

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Magic the Gathering as Richard Garfield intended.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I drafting W/B and with 17 lands I still managed to get stuck on 3 lands in 4 different games. There was 1 game where I played that 2-drop that gets a mount or plains from the top 5 cards of my deck, and I missed with that, and then realized that the 3 lands in my opening hand were the only lands in the top half of my deck... I won that game though lol. Just kept playing 2 drops or removal and eventually blew my opponent out with Skulduggery and the double strike on crime guy.

also, weirdly enough, one of my losses was to someone playing the exact same deck as me. Both running Humiliate, Kambal, Baron Greywater, the same removal spells, and finished me off with Rush of Dread, which I also had.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

feelix posted:

you sound like you don't even know how to play magic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Khanstant posted:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I predict that by the end of the format, black and white and maybe blue will be ok, but red will be in the gutter unless paired with green, because every deck that isn't playing huge green creatures needs to be able to beat the huge green creatures, so damage based removal is useless

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
skill issue

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
get a load of this guy

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Simulacrum Synthesizer an early brew around in Modern Affinity:

Turn 3:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I already made that joke on the last page

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Simulacrum Synthesizer an early brew around in Modern Affinity:

Turn 3:

As if affinity needed help :aaaaa:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

djfooboo posted:

As if affinity needed help :aaaaa:

It kinda did, honestly

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

It kinda did, honestly

it really did, it had 7 results this year mostly in tiny tournaments

https://mtgtop8.com/archetype?f=MO&meta=276&a=189

edit: and one of those is with synthesizer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

feelix posted:

I already made that joke on the last page

which allowed me to later on summon an even larger man

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are they gonna errata this dude who is not an Outlaw type lmao

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogged Detective isn't a Detective (or a dog) so probably not.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

we can summon a man even larger and greener and no one can stop us

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Khanstant posted:

:golfclap:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What makes green so good this set anyway? This isn't the first set to have 6/6s. Is it the rare 4 mana 6/6 flash?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A Moose posted:

What makes green so good this set anyway? This isn't the first set to have 6/6s. Is it the rare 4 mana 6/6 flash?

If I had to guess I'd say it's having a decent amount of ramp for a limited format. But also cheap fat and the other bonuses for playing stompy dudes.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'm a little bit wondering if it isn't really about the commons at all, and it might be mainly about there being so many rares available combined with like literally every green rare being outstanding.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
There's a common (or uncommon, don't remember, there isn't a difference anymore with play boosters) 2 mana/plot 3 that copies your biggest power, and a common (and seemingly underrated) 3 mana 4/2 that gives your whole team trample

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't even search by outlaw in arena, gotta search by the different types.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Paul Cheon was talking about this on his Discord earlier too, why Green Is Good:
"i'm not really sure how there's a 4 mana 4/4 vigilance, 5 mana 5/4 trample life link, 5 mana 6/5 reach, and a 4 mana plot 5/5 all in the same color"
"to go with a great ramp creature and a premium bite spell"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't even search by outlaw in arena, gotta search by the different types.

just remember the mnemonic: MR. WAP

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Warm P

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

just remember the mnemonic: MR. WAP

or WARM P. I think Lords of Limited started that one. Though that one doesn't remind me of ben shapiro having a mental breakdown and blurting out that his wife has never had an orgasm

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

A Moose posted:

Their commons are just crazy in practice, and play really well with everything you can splash Green into. A lot of their creatures are big which helps with Saddle, obviously 4 power creatures are a whole archetype, a bunch of them have plot, and stuff like Cactarantula is really good to reanimate.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are they gonna errata this dude who is not an Outlaw type lmao

Goblin Rock Sled 2.0

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:hehe:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maw PR. Advertise the jaws.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maw PR. Advertise the jaws.

secret lair corporations beyond. brought to you by crest toothpaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I was thinking Joji, Magmaw Worshipper, could be a Warlock.

I want Joji so I can have Magmaw as a commander indirectly.