Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A Moose posted:

What makes green so good this set anyway? This isn't the first set to have 6/6s. Is it the rare 4 mana 6/6 flash?

Trash the Town is a hell of a card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

3-0'd the prerelease (release, i guess?) that ran tonight. had gw mounts with ornery tumblewagg, wylie duke, some of the better uncommon mount pieces like the two drop hexproof giver and the lifelink heron, the overrun, and solid removal. splashed black for the 2 mana kill a non-outlaw and 6 mana reanimate+fight a guy.

game 1 i played a new player and i think i saw four of their cards all match, two of them were scarecrows
game 2 i played a really chill dude who was on like jeskai crimes/cast two spells and he was just screwing around doing stuff like tapping my wylie duke at the end to make the match go faster. we talked for like 20m after, nice guy.
game 3 was a guy who was on a solid red/black outlaws deck. he angle shot every single rule and mechanic he could which is obnoxious at a prerelease. at the end he was complaining about tumblewagg and just being a bad sport, and tbh i derive no greater pleasure than beating an angle shooter who whines the entire third game. lol

it was swiss and i got third on breakers, which is fine. was fun to play magic in person again. most expensive card i opened was pest control.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

WOTC Japan is doing an.. interesting collab with Cowboy Bebop (they disabled embeded videos so youll have to click through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcFKj14cYo

https://mtg-jp.com/otj/
Campaign 1: From April 26, 2024 to March 31, 2025 , purchase 3,000 yen (tax included) worth of " Magic: The Gathering unopened products
released after January 2021" at a WPN store. For every purchase, you will receive one of five types of special postcards featuring art inspired by the opening homage trailer ! Plus! A total of 1,000 people who win will receive special play mats and sleeves using this art !

Campaign 2: Unannounced

Campaign 3: At the Magic festival “Players Convention Aichi 2024” to be held in Tokoname City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan on May 25th and 26th , we will be distributing special playmats to commemorate the release of this opening homage trailer!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Also some MH3 "flipwalkers" got leaked?

edit: to be clear. don't know if these are real but they were posted

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 19, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Special postcards, so just a pure promo thing, no game pieces coming with cowboy bebop stuff on it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strong Sauce posted:

Campaign 1: From April 26, 2024 to March 31, 2025 , purchase 3,000 yen (tax included) worth of " Magic: The Gathering unopened products
released after January 2021" at a WPN store. For every purchase, you will receive one of five types of special postcards featuring art inspired by the opening homage trailer ! Plus! A total of 1,000 people who win will receive special play mats and sleeves using this art !

These picks read like the characters cast themselves as Cowboy Bebop equivalents, which is weirdly great. Oko, Rakdos and Vraska absolutely don't fit as Spike, Jet and Faye anywhere except in their own minds.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

Without looking into it very deeply, the unique looking art by the same artists is a decent indicator they could be authenticate. And that the designs are actually pretty fun. "Sorin, lifelink commander" is definitely playing to something they've been leaning into. They all slot well into specific deck builds, and come down early.

Fun!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tamiyo can be easily flipped on turn 2 in a Delver deck, and she wins the game on turn 5, but she's not doing much in the meantime. I'm sure we'll see a lot of decks trying Tamiyo, but I wonder how well it will slot into the usual URx shaman/wizard deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ral seems strong in a storm list yikes

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ilmucche posted:

Ral seems strong in a storm list yikes

On what planet does he survive for 7 turns as a Planeswalker in modern, plus however long it takes to actually flip him?

Edit 2: whoops, didn't read the static ability! Still, if you've stormed off already, you probably already won

Grist seems kinda cool though, it fits right into Hogaak :v:

Edit: Sorin could be a one-of in orzhov scam, he seems ok

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 19, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Silhouette posted:

On what planet does he survive for 7 turns as a Planeswalker in modern, plus however long it takes to actually flip him?

On what planet are you flipping him where he needs to be on the battlefield for 7 turns? Flip him at storm 6+?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The biggest downside of Ral is that you have to flip a coin potentially so many times. Makes an actual storm off turn take forever since the flip itself isn't optional

Otherwise seems like a solid upgrade to goblin electromancer for the deck since you never really need multiple reducers in play

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Silhouette posted:

Edit 2: whoops, didn't read the static ability! Still, if you've stormed off already, you probably already won

Admittedly I'm not a storm player mind's desire for 8 cards seems like it could help a lot in getting from 6/7 to 19 for grapeshot

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That Sorin -1 would have been a lot of fun to play with in Pioneer Amalia lol.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Khanstant posted:

Special postcards, so just a pure promo thing, no game pieces coming with cowboy bebop stuff on it?

There are cards apparently. No details on the distribution of them yet.

Ossification, Disdainful Stroke, Go for the Throat, Lightning Strike, Snakeskin Veil.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
With Ral, taking half a damage every time you cast a spell is going to cost you games IMO. He's a nice slot saver in that he's a cost reducer and also a way to draw a bunch of cards when comboing off, but I don't think he meaningfully replaces Electromancer.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
when did they introduce half damage?

the ral only does damage if you don't flip it, if you still want the cost reducer just flip and +1 and stop taking damage

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

uggy posted:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

uggy posted:

the ral only does damage if you don't flip it, if you still want the cost reducer just flip and +1 and stop taking damage

"Just win a coin flip" isn't something you can rely on.

If this goes into a storm deck, there will definitely be turns where you turn down a flip early on and then don't win another coin toss despite casting half a dozen more spells

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

With Ral, taking half a damage every time you cast a spell is going to cost you games IMO. He's a nice slot saver in that he's a cost reducer and also a way to draw a bunch of cards when comboing off, but I don't think he meaningfully replaces Electromancer.

The question is really whether taking some amount of damage is worth flipping him to have a potential upside. The hard part is that if you're able to cast all your spells then it's probably a deterministic kill anyway for current gifts storms lists even without planeswalker ult. The planeswalker ult only really helps when you're trying to go off without using the graveyard (i.e you can't use past in flames) imo, otherwise it's pretty win more in most situations unless you don't have gifts or something.

Really the the bigger deal is that it still doesn't fix gifts storm's real problem: that it has to stick a mana bear to be able to really combo. He's still going to just get removed and leave you mostly spinning your wheels.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Just win a coin flip" isn't something you can rely on.

Time for the Krark's Thumb Meta

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Ral appeals to me as another cost reducer that can go into non blue storm decks, but anarchomancer working on the actual card underworld breach might still give it the edge, idk. And neither might show up if the slickshot versions remain the dominant option.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Thanks for all the responses about why green is good this set. I've only drafted it a couple times and I guess people are scooping up all the good green stuff so I never really saw it, or noticed how much of it there is.

This has to be the first time in a long time where "I play a larger man!" was a viable strategy in limited. Usually its "I play a better 2-drop than you so I win" or "I have all the flyers"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

Thanks for all the responses about why green is good this set. I've only drafted it a couple times and I guess people are scooping up all the good green stuff so I never really saw it, or noticed how much of it there is.

This has to be the first time in a long time where "I play a larger man!" was a viable strategy in limited. Usually its "I play a better 2-drop than you so I win" or "I have all the flyers"

it ended up being one of the best things to do in WOE earlier this year. it happens regularly, just not every set

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

every time i type cactarantula i want to spell it like the final fantasy enemy

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Not sure how I feel about the format after two sealeds and a draft all not going my way. Seems to just be open 3 bombs > hope you draw them > win.

Maybe I just don't like the modern meta of red getting 7/7 fliers for 3 and blue getting 5/3 flying hexproof flash for 4.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Southern Cassowary posted:

every time i type cactarantula i want to spell it like the final fantasy enemy

:same:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Time for the Krark's Thumb Meta

It's Tavern Scoundrel's time to shine!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

AngryBooch posted:

Simulacrum Synthesizer an early brew around in Modern Affinity:

Turn 3:

Just cast Vandalblast? EZ

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Young Ral looks dorky as gently caress.:allears:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

AlternateNu posted:

Young Ral looks dorky as gently caress.:allears:

rocking the faded old navy relaxed fit jeans

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i think these green men are getting too big, we need to board wipe. thank god they don't have regeneration.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why is he a red card and a monsoon mage?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Strong Sauce posted:

WOTC Japan is doing an.. interesting collab with Cowboy Bebop (they disabled embeded videos so youll have to click through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcFKj14cYo

Campaign 2: Unannounced

Campaign 3: At the Magic festival “Players Convention Aichi 2024” to be held in Tokoname City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan on May 25th and 26th , we will be distributing special playmats to commemorate the release of this opening homage trailer!

These look cool as hell, sucks that it isn't coming to the US.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowboy Bebop has been destroyed for a generation in the US thanks to Netflix

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

failed live action adaptations are commonplace these days and forgotten about as soon as they come out. saying nobody gives a poo poo anymore about cowboy bebop because of that is like saying nobody gives a poo poo about dragonball or avatar the last airbender

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

get a load of this jokester

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

These are cool, if not only because they're very cheap to cast and have easy flip conditions.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cowboy Bebop owns and all but this set should've had a Borderlands crossover goddamn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Cowboy Bebop owns and all but this set should've had a Borderlands crossover goddamn it

no because cowboy bebop is cool and borderlands loving stinks