Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

what about trigun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I would be very tempted to buy a bebop secret lair...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Full Super Robot Wars Universe Beyond.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I would be very tempted to buy a bebop secret lair...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fievel Goes West SL with Thunder Junction and Bloomburrow cards but would settle for a Best Western SL if they put a couple rats in it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I would attempt to buy a bebop secret lair before finding out scalpers beat me to it.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I would attempt to buy a bebop secret lair before finding out scalpers beat me to it.

I stand corrected lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Actually yeah it's this one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Neopets and Upper Deck are doing some thing where they sell 500 digital cards once a week, and if you collect em all or the right ones you unlock achievements or some poo poo that might unlock other cards. There is no game. There used to be no cards but now you can pay a little extra and they'll mail you a physical copy of the thing you bought already.

Sold out in literally the first two minutes they were made available. Super weird seeing someone else go lower than WotC secret lairs especially since neither Neopets or Upper Deck are the household names. I'd expect them to struggle to sell em all if anything.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Neopets is super popular among a thin slice of the population. My roomie and I still play it, albeit on a fanmade spinoff site that rebuilt all the old flash stuff so it looks like the old early 2000s site instead of the new hypermonetized crap.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I play it too, and almost bought some of the cards since I heard of them a few minutes before they were for sale and I mistook it for cards useable in the upcoming playable card game, but it's a different thing, basically an NFT (but now with a physical component bc Neopets players rejected NFT push by and large). I'm lucky it sold out else I'd be like wtf did I buy and what do I do with it now. Anyhow, brought it up here because WotCs least-playable digital offerings are still technically visible in Arena during a game you're playing. They can go lower!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

what about trigun

Trigun crossover for OTJ would've been :krad: and fits very well thematically since OTJ has a lot of Weird West influences in the aesthetic.

Plus the recent Trigun reboot/prequel was pretty drat good and well received, would've been great to capitalize on it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khanstant posted:

Neopets and Upper Deck are doing some thing where they sell 500 digital cards once a week, and if you collect em all or the right ones you unlock achievements or some poo poo that might unlock other cards. There is no game. There used to be no cards but now you can pay a little extra and they'll mail you a physical copy of the thing you bought already.

Sold out in literally the first two minutes they were made available. Super weird seeing someone else go lower than WotC secret lairs especially since neither Neopets or Upper Deck are the household names. I'd expect them to struggle to sell em all if anything.

Upper Deck is well known, just in the sports card industry. They were some of the earliest adopters of the hyper chase showcase poo poo that's dominated the hobby.

They also did the World of Warcraft card game that inserted chase cards for WoW in game items that still sell for a few thousand.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/27247/wow-loot-cards-spectral-tiger-loot

The redeemed cards even go for $100+

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

what about trigun

Original Trigun not the remake :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Upper Deck is well known, just in the sports card industry. They were some of the earliest adopters of the hyper chase showcase poo poo that's dominated the hobby.

They also did the World of Warcraft card game that inserted chase cards for WoW in game items that still sell for a few thousand.

Wow, I had no idea. I saw all the other stuff on the site but I am just too oblivious to sports and nonplayable card collection. So really they're old experts at this kind of chase product and I just happened to tune into it now. I hope the actual card game they're making is fun at least.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The WoW TCG was pretty good but iirc Blizz dropped their license because of some counterfeiting issue plus they wanted to keep it all in house. It's no surprise that the game was almost identical to Hearthstone in every way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

The WoW TCG was pretty good but iirc Blizz dropped their license because of some counterfeiting issue plus they wanted to keep it all in house. It's no surprise that the game was almost identical to Hearthstone in every way.

It really wasn't like hearthstone in any way whatsoever except for units being able to attack other units directly and damage on them being permanent, otherwise it was far more similar to Magic. You play the equivalent of lands, there are instant spells and abilities you can use on the opponent's turn and a stack that abilities go on for resolution order, etc.

The really cool unique thing it did was dungeon decks and raids, which were big coop vs one player group games similar to something like Descent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Upper Deck was the original distributors of YuGiOh in the Americas before Konami snatched the rights back in 2008 after their big legal slap-fight. I used to be one of their regional judges back in college. :v:

They're no stranger to TCGs/CCGs.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

if you ever watch/listen to the resleeveables patrick constantly has stories about all the incredibly shady/illegal/unethical stuff upper deck was doing

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 21, 2024

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fajita Queen posted:

It really wasn't like hearthstone in any way whatsoever except for units being able to attack other units directly and damage on them being permanent, otherwise it was far more similar to Magic. You play the equivalent of lands, there are instant spells and abilities you can use on the opponent's turn and a stack that abilities go on for resolution order, etc.

The really cool unique thing it did was dungeon decks and raids, which were big coop vs one player group games similar to something like Descent.

Decks were built according to class, which had a hero character card associated with them, equipment played on your hero, pretty much all the creature abilities directly carried over, resources were effectively "colorless". They simplified resources and timing for Hearthstone for sure, but very early Hearthstone was *extremely* similar to paper, before Hearthstone turned into what it is now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

Decks were built according to class, which had a hero character card associated with them, equipment played on your hero, pretty much all the creature abilities directly carried over, resources were effectively "colorless". They simplified resources and timing for Hearthstone for sure, but very early Hearthstone was *extremely* similar to paper, before Hearthstone turned into what it is now.

..an autochess clone?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

These look cool as hell, sucks that it isn't coming to the US.

Turns out they are, in fact, coming to the US, as rewards for Standard Showdown.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They're in English, we're hosed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All are playable cards too. They could have reprinted ante cards and people would've bought it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I wish I could be nice, but these look like a loving joke.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I like the art a lot better in Playmat form and those are currently only JP exclusive so :negative:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
To me the only one that's actually bad in card form is Lightning Strike, because that three-slice format clashes with the actual structure of a Magic card.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Lightning strike is a cube card!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

uggy posted:

Lightning strike is a cube card!!

But there are so many better or more interesting variants of it, it feels kinda boring unless you're including it just for that art

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This card has been good.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

OneDeadman posted:

I like the art a lot better in Playmat form and those are currently only JP exclusive so :negative:

Well if you want cool playmats, Richard Kane Ferguson is running a Kickstarter for playmats with his art. Looks like it just started, too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

This card has been good.

Card seems pretty crazy. 2 3/3s a turn with some evasion, and she's got ward on top of that? That's great.

Seems like it'd scale real good to commander as well so long as you've got enough ways to commit crimes. You could cast Gisa on your turn, and by the next time you untap you could potentially have 8 3/3s with menace ready to go.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She and her brother will do a lot of good work in a Wilhelt shell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Framboise posted:

Card seems pretty crazy. 2 3/3s a turn with some evasion, and she's got ward on top of that? That's great.

Seems like it'd scale real good to commander as well so long as you've got enough ways to commit crimes. You could cast Gisa on your turn, and by the next time you untap you could potentially have 8 3/3s with menace ready to go.

Tonybones is as good as people thought it would be. TInybones, Gisa, and Kaervek all work together in this very awesome way. Kaervek especially being undervalued in being able to cast any spell or permanent at any speed you can commit a crime. I am currently running all 3 in pioneer wastenot and its very fun and at times very good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe the only completely free, repeatable crime card is Soltari Guerrillas in Boros, but there's a few options in Dimir colors that costs only 1 to crime.

Would you be able to choose 0 for X on a card like Retribution of the Ancients to just Indicate?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I believe the only completely free, repeatable crime card is Soltari Guerrillas in Boros, but there's a few options in Dimir colors that costs only 1 to crime.

Would you be able to choose 0 for X on a card like Retribution of the Ancients to just Indicate?

I don't think a free or repeatable crime is required to make the card good. I think a deck with a lot of crime is enough to make it a very value oriented card. Field of Ruin, hive of the eye tyrant, cling to dust, liliana, any removal, all discard, etc. Tinybones doing its thing too.

I first thought it would be this bonkers combo only card, but then you can just get back waste nots or recast virtually any black card in your graveyard at crime speed and its awesome. Nothing cooler than field of ruining on your opponents turn and casting a waste not at the end of their turn.

The only pain in the rear end is the copy and how you represent that.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 23, 2024

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think we're going to see some real innovation for the PT. The challenges etc. have been pretty tame but this set has a whole lot of power that hasn't been adopted in tournament play yet. Sunfall, Convoke, and Dennick police a lot of the nonsense but there's enough going on something will slip through.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think we're going to see some real innovation for the PT. The challenges etc. have been pretty tame but this set has a whole lot of power that hasn't been adopted in tournament play yet. Sunfall, Convoke, and Dennick police a lot of the nonsense but there's enough going on something will slip through.

I know about a local brew that I'm excited to see the results of. Hopefully it'll be a fun pt.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sickening posted:

This card has been good.

I love how "decay" hasn't come back whatsoever. Not even on the newest Gisa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
decay was a thing in its set because the set had synergy about things dying and they also have said they actively want to not make tokens that can block if a set is going to generate a lot of them, to keep things from clogging up too hard