Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

K that one has to be fake or at least the commander one. Brainstorm in modern?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
much like the canoneer that will be a commander card

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

there is no loving way brainstorm is going into modern

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's incredibly annoying that you can't look at a card from a set anymore and easily know what formats it'll be legal in

Do the commander decks have different set symbols or anything? I definitely can't imagine them putting brainstorm into modern, but it would be really funny if they did

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Do the commander decks have different set symbols or anything

Yeah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's incredibly annoying that you can't look at a card from a set anymore and easily know what formats it'll be legal in

Do the commander decks have different set symbols or anything? I definitely can't imagine them putting brainstorm into modern, but it would be really funny if they did

They're slightly different. The symbol on the stuff with brainstorm is different from the other spoiler cards

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ilmucche posted:

K that one has to be fake or at least the commander one. Brainstorm in modern?
I am assuming it is a list card, and there will be some insane list cards for MH3 Play boosters.

ilmucche posted:

Was safekeeper in one of the leaks?

If creature sacrifice is in mh3 then maybe it's veteran explorer's time to shine
Sylvan safekeeper yeah but just like these recent ones don't see the symbol.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

They're slightly different. The symbol on the stuff with brainstorm is different from the other spoiler cards

Ah ok, it looks like the visible symbol in the brainstorm picture is the same as the symbol on necrodominance, but I guess we can't see the other symbols

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ah ok, it looks like the visible symbol in the brainstorm picture is the same as the symbol on necrodominance, but I guess we can't see the other symbols

Ah, I was comparing to this card. As mentioned though the set symbol for bstorm isn't visible so who knows

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I survived my hill.

https://magic.gg/news/pro-tour-thunder-junction-standard-metagame-breakdown

Ancient Cornucopia: 8

Edit: i think that list is missing some cards. Temur Calamity should be playing Calamity no?

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where Jake Beardsley was talking about how he likes Cornucopia in the Spelunking slots in Domain because gaining four life when you land Atraxa insulates you so much against the aggressive decks that run removal like Convoke and UBx. All that discourse and the card ended up being fine!!!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

the guy who posted the picture of kappa cannoneer said "it was just on my desk, I didn't open it in the MH3 packs" so he was just trolling. Probably same with the Brainstorm without visible set symbol or set code.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A Moose posted:

the guy who posted the picture of kappa cannoneer said "it was just on my desk, I didn't open it in the MH3 packs" so he was just trolling. Probably same with the Brainstorm without visible set symbol or set code.

oh man that makes a lot more sense because cannoneer would be insanely dominant in modern, definitely the same with brainstorm I imagine

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Especially with Gavin putting a video out saying Cannoneer being powerful enough for non-commander formats was a serious mistake.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Commander set symbols have a shield motif and a patch of white in them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Commander set symbols have a shield motif and a patch of white in them

oh drat, I dunno how I never noticed that. That makes it way easier

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Pokemon has a nice feature where cards are marked with a letter in their bottom left, so instead of saying "standard is these 20 sets" they can say "Standard is EFG. After rotation it will be FGH."

Now, mtg has the additional caveat that old printings of cards can be played in standard, so it wouldn't be as simple as this, but it would be nice to be able to tell, for the most part, what formats a card is legal in by looking at it. And, the system could easily be adapted to accomodate nonrotating formats. A for vintage/legacy/commander, B for modern, then maybe leave a bunch of space so they can have direct to pioneer or whatever else they think up, and start standard at AA.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cool they made a blood token commander that is payoff that can play only 21 of the 39 extant blood token cards. Why isn't this red? Wotc has to know bloodtithe harvester is the best one, it's been x4 in every standard deck since VOW.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can play older printings in pokemon too, but only if the printed text is pretty much the same as the printed text of the current version.

(Contrast that with Magic, where it's totally fine to play copies of cards where the printed text is misleading or outright absent, and it's up to your opponent to ask a judge what the card actually does if they're not aware of the specifics of every single card in the format)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jabor posted:

You can play older printings in pokemon too, but only if the printed text is pretty much the same as the printed text of the current version.

(Contrast that with Magic, where it's totally fine to play copies of cards where the printed text is misleading or outright absent, and it's up to your opponent to ask a judge what the card actually does if they're not aware of the specifics of every single card in the format)

I love the old vs new Oubliette

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

I saw an player play old impulse at a tournament. He shuffled and got a judge call lol.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Fritzler posted:

I saw an player play old impulse at a tournament. He shuffled and got a judge call lol.

Had they just brainstormed? If they honestly didn't know that's hilarious but yeah I'd definitely call a judge. What a weird errata, wouldn't it have been easier to just leave it as written?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

Had they just brainstormed? If they honestly didn't know that's hilarious but yeah I'd definitely call a judge. What a weird errata, wouldn't it have been easier to just leave it as written?

I think the inclusion of shuffle was a typo originally, I don't think the card ever functioned in tournament play the way it says.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Need more Magic cards to use "hence"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fadam posted:

I think the inclusion of shuffle was a typo originally, I don't think the card ever functioned in tournament play the way it says.

Yeah, but this isn't like, a creature having the wrong power/toughness, or hostage taker looping itself infinitely. Like it wouldn't be super broken if WotC was like, "you know what fine it shuffles now". either way you're probably not seeing the cards you didn't take in the next few draws. Idk, it seems like this way people can use the original printing to shuffle and be all like "how was I supposed to know?"

Like with other functional erata, you look at it and go "wait that doesn't seem right" like the izzet split card that permanently swaps power and toughness as printed so you'd call a judge for that, but old cards are weird so having you put them on the bottom and then shuffle isn't that weird.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 26, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I enjoyed how they had to go the other way with Animate Dead

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed how they had to go the other way with Animate Dead

The way the -1/-0 is tacked on at the end really drives home the templating mess

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

No this was in pioneer lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Haha I have never read "hence" on a magic card before but I really like it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Grist is being reprinted in the "Commander" series of Modern. LMAO god drat WOTC is so dumb. I think this tops last years, "This is a Masters set, which historically has only been reprints.. but this year... new cards in a Masters set!!!!"

Don't worry, this isn't coming to Modern even though its in the Modern Horizons 3. It's actually Modern Horizon 3's Commander Set.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it says in the corner.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nothing means anything anymore. Increasingly my favorite thing about Arena is not needing to keep up with legality stuff. I just find out on launch day which set logos turn up in packs.

The knock-on effect is I've basically stopped even looking at previews. Round about the 10th card that looked like a lot of fun but wasn't a real card for one reason or another, I just gave up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it says in the corner.

i know. i'm saying it's dumb.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I was reading a thing about how balatro was programmed and why games with "rule bending" mechanics are so hard to code (basically you have to check how the new mechanic interacts with every previously existing rule bending mechanic before it, so the game logic complexity scales quadratically)

and it's honestly impressive that arena (and on the flip side, mtgo) has been able to keep up with all the new set releases without keeling over and breaking horribly

I don't really play other tcgs but have they had weird game breaking issues with their digital clients?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We can't let the modern set just be about modern, gotta make it commanders set too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strong Sauce posted:

Grist is being reprinted in the "Commander" series of Modern. LMAO god drat WOTC is so dumb. I think this tops last years, "This is a Masters set, which historically has only been reprints.. but this year... new cards in a Masters

Not really sure what's dumb or offensive about reprinting him in a precon?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really sure what's dumb or offensive about reprinting him in a precon?

I'm just harping on how dumb it is that there's an attached commander series, not specifically anything about Grist.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

edit: nvm

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I might be inclined to agree that it's silly that Modern Horizons 3 is getting commander decks, but not modern decks.

But now that they are doing it, it isn't hard to figure out. Because it's the exact same as every other set: There are commander decks, they have new cards that are for Commander and not for the format(s) of the main set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/UltimateGuard/status/1783511291866542420

The best deck boxes made now get wotc licensing. It is a big deal.