Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm gonna make a set called Commander Legends that isn't legal in commander. then I'm gonna make a set called Not Legal In Pioneer that is legal in pioneer. but not modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
If you're warching the pt just turn of chat if you can. Its about what you would expect. I also learned that char can't be turned on on mobile...

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Elblanco posted:

If you're warching the pt just turn of chat if you can. Its about what you would expect. I also learned that char can't be turned on on mobile...

I have it full screened without chat right now?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

This mf's name is Cain

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lmfao at the commentators not understanding the once per turn rider on the ravens. That game ended up being really tight and tense with a backbreaking consume the ashes

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

These limited games have been ha blast.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely wild that Tarmogoyf has been so power crept out of relevance that it's a sub $10 card and they're making a card that just makes Tarmogoys :lol:

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i think this thread needs to calm down and cast progressively larger and greener men

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

Absolutely wild that Tarmogoyf has been so power crept out of relevance that it's a sub $10 card and they're making a card that just makes Tarmogoys :lol:

I'm wondering if Tarmogoyf has been bad for longer than it's been good in Modern. Modern was introduced in May 2011, so it's basically 13 years old. When would we say the beginning of the end was for Tarmogoyf? I remember thinking Jund was going to go crazy after the BBE unban, but the deck just ended up being kind of medium.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

fadam posted:

I'm wondering if Tarmogoyf has been bad for longer than it's been good in Modern. Modern was introduced in May 2011, so it's basically 13 years old. When would we say the beginning of the end was for Tarmogoyf? I remember thinking Jund was going to go crazy after the BBE unban, but the deck just ended up being kind of medium.

The more a non rotating format gets old, the more midrange strategies in it end to kinda suck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Rip nimble mongoose.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm gonna make a set called Commander Legends that isn't legal in commander. then I'm gonna make a set called Not Legal In Pioneer that is legal in pioneer. but not modern

Go for it, just gotta set the deck mode to whichever format on Moxfield or Arena and it really doesn't matter what they call anything.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's very weird that tarmogoyf is a playable magic card in timeless

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's a self-mill in standard that has those 2 bettergoyfs. Souls of the Lost and Urban Lurgoyf, something like that. It's not super high tier but its fun to self mill and make some crazy beasts. It's also rare enough people don't know to expect it and I've had people mill me which can only help me, plus they spend a card doing it lol.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kalel posted:

it's very weird that tarmogoyf is a playable magic card in timeless

It’s playable in modern and legacy too, it’s death is overstated

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

fadam posted:

Probably around Fatal Push being printed. Combination of removal being too efficient and favorable matchups like Twin or Affinity getting banned.

Crazy to think it's likely the worst card in any deck that still plays it and it was once a $200 card.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Jesus Christ.

I’ve found this limited format to be not exactly skill intensive. It’s true of any format, but this especially is a ‘does your top 15 cards contain a game warping bomb?’ format.

It was hilarious to see multiple PT winner Seth Mansfield open up a top 5 in the format card p2p1 only to pass it and draft mono 2 drops like it’s 2018, and then get beat down by it in his second round.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Help me with a question I cant seem to find an answer for online, can Rakdos the Muscle use his ability to sac a creature and become indestructible if hes already tapped?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AcidCat posted:

Help me with a question I cant seem to find an answer for online, can Rakdos the Muscle use his ability to sac a creature and become indestructible if hes already tapped?

Yup!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AcidCat posted:

Yes.

Here's the text of the ability:

quote:

Sacrifice another creature: Rakdos, the Muscle gains indestructible until end of turn. Tap it. Activate only once each turn.

When you activate an ability, you only need to pay the cost (the bit before the ":"). It doesn't care what's going to happen when the ability resolves. When it resolves, since it's not a targeted ability, it does as much as it can. So if he's not indestructible but is tapped, it'll just make him indestructible - while if he's indestructible but not tapped, it'll just tap him.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Excellent, thanks.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Another thing is that abilities that want you to "Tap Three elves you control" as part of the cost don't care about summoning sickness on those permanents, even if you're tapping whatever activated the ability. Only abilities with the tap symbol care, usually - re:Enlist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Modern Horizons 3 gets a commander product because there are orders of magnitude more people who play Commander than who play Modern, this is not complicated lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
someone linked a maro blog post elsewhere that essentially said that they shouldn't have named the sets with the format in their name because they're not meant to be just for that single format

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Fajita Queen posted:

Modern Horizons 3 gets a commander product because there are orders of magnitude more people who play Commander than who play Modern, this is not complicated lol

No one's even asking that question.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Why are they doing reprints from previous MH''s as Special Guests? Those cards are already in the format. Like is it just to put them in draft packs at a higher than mythic rarity?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Why are they doing reprints from previous MH''s as Special Guests? Those cards are already in the format. Like is it just to put them in draft packs at a higher than mythic rarity?

money

hey you could get one of the good MH2 cards with full art, buy more packs!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK so Meltdown is coming to Arena but not Grief or Fury right

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

lady gaga is in the set

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK so Meltdown is coming to Arena but not Grief or Fury right

Traditionally Arena receives the Special Guests.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Glimpse the Impossible {2}{R}

Sorcery

Exile the top three cards of your library. You may play those cards this turn. At the beginning of the next end step, if any of those cards remain exiled, put them into your graveyard, then create a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature token for each card put into your graveyard this way. Those tokens have "Sacrifice this creature: Add {C}."

this is printed at common... seems pretty crazy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how many decades of leaks do we have to get through until people learn how to hold a camera

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
barbarian ring confirmed

wew

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

meanolmrcloud posted:

Jesus Christ.

I’ve found this limited format to be not exactly skill intensive. It’s true of any format, but this especially is a ‘does your top 15 cards contain a game warping bomb?’ format.

It was hilarious to see multiple PT winner Seth Mansfield open up a top 5 in the format card p2p1 only to pass it and draft mono 2 drops like it’s 2018, and then get beat down by it in his second round.

This is the opposite of my experience and the opposite of people like Sam black who have described it as one of the highest player agency sets in a long time. The power level is high but the format has evolved a lot and wedge decks that see 30 of your 40 cards are pulling ahead, with games being quite long. It’s pretty rare for my opponents to drop something I truly can’t beat. Removal is very good across the board, card selection is great, the uncommons are more powerful than a lot of the “bombs” due to the synergistic archetypes. Format is great and despite the thread title is way more complex than people thought in the first few days

A thing that happens a bunch though is because of the bonus sheet cards, the cards that were supposed to be aftermath cards, the normal set rares being high powered, there are people who draft a deck that in their mind is absolutely a heater. And it is, except everyone is playing a deck that is constructed quality. I played my draft deck against my brother on a still sleeved up deck I played in 2019 and it held its own. People feel bad when they feel like they lose with insane bombs but, like we were talking about in the arena thread, Jasper Flynn is like the 30th best card in the set even though it reads like a classic p1p1.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is this format is less about what you open or what you see in your opening hand, and more about navigating really complex turns and board states

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you can absolutely just turn your brain off, draft a bunch of bombs, and go 50-50 if that's more to your liking than putting a ton of thought in would be

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah it's really good and I am a bit confused about the "bombs" complaints. There's a few that are an insane beating and if you don't have removal you lose, but even many of those can be handled by said removal.

MKM was much worse about it, I loved crafting cool Graveyard decks there making lots of Roots tokens but then the opp slams Ezrim and that card is literally unbeatable because it can hard protect itself. That was balanced a little by the presence of aggro decks that would just win before opp could assemble the mana for Ezrim but it was a real bummer for a deck that was built around grinding value.

In OTJ, let's consider two green superbombs: Bristly Bill and Railway Brawler. For both, opp is probably tapping out asap because BB on T3 with a land played after is great value immediately. However, then you can untap and just shoot the 3/3 down. Railway Brawler, they'll plot it and thus you know it's coming and have a turn to plan ahead, that's great! You can save an instant removal for it, or pressure an attack right away so they are low when they play it + another creature and you can win in the air, or you widen your board instead of removing their 3drop like you tentatively planned, then remove what they pumped and run them over.

All of this presupposes that you built your deck well and have good interaction, can play to the board etc. but that's a prerequisite you just have to fulfil if you want to be doing well in current day Limited. You might as well be saying "fliers are unbeatable" if your deck is low on removal and good efficient creatures that can counterpressure. Make a good deck and many of the "bombs" you see aren't remotely as scary as they seem on first glance.

EDIT:

Jabor posted:

you can absolutely just turn your brain off, draft a bunch of bombs, and go 50-50 if that's more to your liking than putting a ton of thought in would be
How do you do this and not have a manabase that relies on luck more than anything else? If you answer "well, there's plenty of fixing" then you already put thought in it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thundergun Express is the best draft format since Neon Dynasty, hands down

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jabor posted:

no more than any other set, in fact probably less. every deck is full of good cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://x.com/karsten_frank/status/1784213459338682545?s=46