Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

On one hand this is cool, on the other hand this sucks because the Analyst deck is so slow and annoying to play against on Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I had an Outlaws of Thunder Junction draft at my local store and here's what I came up with and went 2-1

White/Green
8 Forests
8 Plains
1 Lonely Arroyo
1 Festering Gulch

Green
Giant Beaver
Spinewoods Paladin
Map the Frontier
2 Snakeskin Veil
Aloe Alchemist
Drover Grizzly
Ankle Biter
Throw from the Saddle
Voracious Varmint
Dance of the Tumbleweeds

White
2 Vengeful Townsfolk
Sterling Keykeeper
Thunder Lasso
Sheriff of Safe Passage
Rustler Rampage
Take Up the Shield
Prairie Dog
Journey to Nowhere
Omenport Vigilante
Outlaw Medic

Colorless
Luxurious Locomotive
Oasis Gardener

Gold
Wylie Duke, Atiin Hero
Miriam, Herd Whisperer
Seraphic Steed

what do you think?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what do you think?

Assuming you cut that down to 40 cards it's a solid pool to work with. Maybe could have used another 2 drop mount or a Mobile Homestead but otherwise looks really good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what should I have cut? that was 45

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I'd probably cut 1 of the lands, Map the Frontier, Rustler Rampage, Outlaw Medic, and Oasis Gardener. Curve is low and only 2 colors so you don't need 18 lands, ramp, or fixing. Rustler Rampage seems pretty limited in usefulness and you don't have any ways to get value out of Outlaw Medic. Not sure if Omenport is enough reason to run the 2nd desert for an extra trigger but it probably doesn't hurt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fajita Queen posted:

Modern Horizons 3 gets a commander product because there are orders of magnitude more people who play Commander than who play Modern, this is not complicated lol

Ok so call it commander 2024.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
When I first got back in around ONE I did this same exact poo poo. I bought the poison commander precon, learned the reaction you get bringing poison to a multiplayer table, and decided to make a “standard deck” out of it + some other ONE packs I opened.

I brought it to a casual standard table and got the “bless your heart” treatment (nice folks) and we ran it anyway because 1) it still wasn’t that good and 2) gently caress it it’s casual. So now I know, but I can definitely feel the new player confusion.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

freeman posted:

I'd probably cut 1 of the lands, Map the Frontier, Rustler Rampage, Outlaw Medic, and Oasis Gardener. Curve is low and only 2 colors so you don't need 18 lands, ramp, or fixing. Rustler Rampage seems pretty limited in usefulness and you don't have any ways to get value out of Outlaw Medic. Not sure if Omenport is enough reason to run the 2nd desert for an extra trigger but it probably doesn't hurt.

Rustler Rampage is how I did 14 damage with Seraphic Steed during one of the matches, lol

I actually had problems with mana during every single match, either oops all forests or oops all plains

i usually play commander but these matches are often over before you've had time to cook with anything fun

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 27, 2024

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Got my secret lair today and because I’m S.P.E.C.I.A.L. I got a mana vault. Far and away most valuable card I own. Are the current ebay prices real? Do I need to get this thing graded?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Poison commander decks seem like theyd make the games pleasantly short so idk why people wouldn't like them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's not liking a deck archetype and there's agreeing that a deck archetype gets out of hand quickly and needs to get off the table first. not exactly the most fun experience even if everyone is in the right (even if it's just a precon)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ulta posted:

Got my secret lair today and because I’m S.P.E.C.I.A.L. I got a mana vault. Far and away most valuable card I own. Are the current ebay prices real? Do I need to get this thing graded?

get it graded if you want to waste your money. if you don't want it you should just sell it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah, it's "only" a card in the upper mid 100s

which is a lot for a tiny piece of cardboard, but is in the range of random revised duals in middling condition

get it graded if it makes you happy/you want to collect all the Fallout cards or w/e, but it's a recent printing and it's not some sort of irreplaceable or particularly important card (in that printing)

personally, if I wasn't overly interested in collecting all the fallout cards or particularly enamored of the art (and I'm not) I'd definitely be looking to sell it, you can buy a lot of official game pieces to actually play games of magic with that money (including other printings of mana vault, which currently run like $60 retail right now - you're not generally playing games with graded cards, and I'd much rather have the option of playing with a nearly-full set of the busted cEDH mana artifacts like mana crypt/white border mana vault/assorted non-diamond moxen/etc. than just a vault with a deliberately small print run)

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

LGD posted:

yeah, it's "only" a card in the upper mid 100s

which is a lot for a tiny piece of cardboard, but is in the range of random revised duals in middling condition

get it graded if it makes you happy/you want to collect all the Fallout cards or w/e, but it's a recent printing and it's not some sort of irreplaceable or particularly important card (in that printing)

personally, if I wasn't overly interested in collecting all the fallout cards or particularly enamored of the art (and I'm not) I'd definitely be looking to sell it, you can buy a lot of official game pieces to actually play games of magic with that money (including other printings of mana vault, which currently run like $60 retail right now - you're not generally playing games with graded cards, and I'd much rather have the option of playing with a nearly-full set of the busted cEDH mana artifacts like mana crypt/white border mana vault/assorted non-diamond moxen/etc. than just a vault with a deliberately small print run)
Thanks for the perspective. Probably just put it on eBay. It’s too expensive to play with, and I generally screw around with casual commander which doesn’t truck with a lot of mana vaults. I also don’t have a place in my home to display a piece of cardboard that’s worth as much as my PS5.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ulta posted:

The sets have been trickling out so there’s very few on the market still.

Check sold listings to see if anyone is actually buying at what people are asking.

If they are, sell that thing now for sure.

a dangerous thot
Dec 19, 2016
I suspect Antoine at PrintingProxies either sucks at or hates doing his job. He initially reached out to me after I failed to order through them with a Vanilla Gift Card. I eventually got my Dad to complete the order over the phone by importing a card list as it was a gift.

Fast forward a few months and my dad had his card stolen and he mistakingly lumped this 30$ or so transaction with the fraudulant ones and had them unauthorized.

I received this rather pompous email from Printing Proxies

quote:

So.
I see that you've CLAIMED the payment as UNAUTHORIZED this morning.
Can you please explain to me how you intend to prove that this payment was unauthorized, when you literally emailed up back and forward about paying your order?
I found it hard to believe.

I will forward our conversation to the bank, and report your claim as bank fraud (based on the evidence that, you, indeed, place this order due to our conversation, billing and shipping address all matching).
Bank fraud is a crime.

Get back to me, you have until the end of the day.
Antoine
I immediately knew what happened but I called my dad to see what he wanted to do. He said that since the card was no longer that he wanted them to call him. So I emailed Printing Proxies about them calling my dad, this was the response:

quote:

Hello,

Absolutely won’t call. The bank is handling this.

I suggest he contact his bank and accept this transaction.

Whether this was done on purpose or not, this is a fraudulent claim.

You have until the end of the day to get that fixed and cancelled or we will file the report.

We were able to contact the bank the next day but I just want to make their pushiness and unproffesionalism known (treating me like a criminal and then stonewalling and changing rhetoric that its "a matter for the banks" when i dragged the drama into reddit lol)

Am I wrong for taking offense to the language? MTG is big with a few people where I am at and I feel bad for recommending this proxy service.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

a dangerous thot posted:

I suspect Antoine at PrintingProxies either sucks at or hates doing his job. He initially reached out to me after I failed to order through them with a Vanilla Gift Card. I eventually got my Dad to complete the order over the phone by importing a card list as it was a gift.

Fast forward a few months and my dad had his card stolen and he mistakingly lumped this 30$ or so transaction with the fraudulant ones and had them unauthorized.

I received this rather pompous email from Printing Proxies

I immediately knew what happened but I called my dad to see what he wanted to do. He said that since the card was no longer that he wanted them to call him. So I emailed Printing Proxies about them calling my dad, this was the response:

We were able to contact the bank the next day but I just want to make their pushiness and unproffesionalism known (treating me like a criminal and then stonewalling and changing rhetoric that its "a matter for the banks" when i dragged the drama into reddit lol)

Am I wrong for taking offense to the language? MTG is big with a few people where I am at and I feel bad for recommending this proxy service.

Sounds like shitlord behavior to me. Just wash your hands off it and never do business with them again (and tell your friends not to either)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

djfooboo posted:

EVERY game in my LOTR prerelease had an illegal card in their deck. Every game…. loving dumb.

outlaws pre-release was probably even worse on average. you had

- standard legal cards (otj)
- mythic only cards that are legal in standard but not part of the main set (big)
- mythic only cards that are not legal in standard and not part of the main set (spg)
- reprints of uncommon+ rarity that did not go into standard (otp)
- promos that are not legal in limited
- not to mention outlaws commander cards (otc) which were not available or legal at pre-release but you could feasibly get your hands on them to cause even more confusion

granted, I think this might be a special case because of the failed aftermath-for-outlaws product being incorporated into the draft packs for otj.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The intent is obviously to copy the cast triggers on eldrazi that have those, but the fact that you can sneak other abilities in there to get a free ride on the copy is really neat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like how it looks like a guy got hit in the face with a pie.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

a dangerous thot posted:

Generously maybe that guy has been burned a lot before, but yeah it's pretty lovely behavior over a $30 translation, particularly if you got back to them quickly and explained it.

Looking at their site, surprised they haven't been shut down / that they can print large sets. Given the description of the cards, seems incredibly likely they're just printing through MakePlayingCards, making a profit of like ~60 cents on each card. It's a weird unnecessary middle man, though I guess their interface is a little better than MPC. Pretty bad practice not altering the front-face to note the cards are proxies.

Also gross that they're selling holofoil stickers that mimic the rare/mythic stamp. Obvious enough that no one should be fooled by it, but that still feels kind of shady.

edit: huh they claim they're printing these in the USA. That seems... pretty legally treacherous?

Hah. They got blacklisted from the bootleg mtg reddits. Rest assured, you aren't the rear end in a top hat here. https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcproxies/comments/11ijoyh/printingproxiescom_is_now_banned_from_rmpcproxies/

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 28, 2024

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6rQ_7ng_jk5bsWsaApJFZsiUyGL39rkbXU-e4A8q8g/edit#heading=h.qnrbgz40dxff

IDK how trustworthy this is, but people seem to be collecting MH3 leaks here. Some stuff that caught my eye:

Flare of Malice† 2BB
Instant (R)
You may sacrifice a nontoken black creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
Each opponent sacrifices a creature or planeswalker with the greatest mana value among creatures and planeswalkers they control.

Flare of Duplication† 1RR
Instant (R)
You may sacrifice a nontoken red creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Goodbye 4BB
Sorcery (R)
Choose one or more–
• Destroy all creatures.
• Destroy all planeswalkers.
• Destroy all battles.
• Exile all graveyards.
• Each opponent loses all counters.

The red flare seems very strong in Rograkh EDH decks at least, and maybe has applications in some 60-card combo decks. Black Flare seems kind of bad. I think it is pretty hard to evaluate these straight up just because of how extreme the condition for the free effect is. Maybe with some tinkering they'll be insane, idk.

Goodbye is hilarious because if you're a Twitter user and engage in Magic discourse at all, half the time you open the app and it defaults to the "For You" page it's showing some post from a EDH content creator being sad about either Farewell or Ward. Kind of a funny move to print a slightly different second version.

fadam fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 28, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The edict seems good but also really loving strange at 4 cmc. The counterspell gets to be 3 cmc so why wouldn't the edict?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

fadam posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6rQ_7ng_jk5bsWsaApJFZsiUyGL39rkbXU-e4A8q8g/edit#heading=h.qnrbgz40dxff

IDK how trustworthy this is, but people seem to be collecting MH3 leaks here. Some stuff that caught my eye:

Flare of Malice† 2BB
Instant (R)
You may sacrifice a nontoken black creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
Each opponent sacrifices a creature or planeswalker with the greatest mana value among creatures and planeswalkers they control.

Flare of Duplication† 1RR
Instant (R)
You may sacrifice a nontoken red creature rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Goodbye 4BB
Sorcery (R)
Choose one or more–
• Destroy all creatures.
• Destroy all battles.
• Exile all graveyards.

The red flare seems very strong in Rograkh EDH decks at least, and maybe has applications in some 60-card combo decks. Black Flare seems kind of bad. I think it is pretty hard to evaluate these straight up just because of how extreme the condition for the free effect is. Maybe with some tinkering they'll be insane, idk.

Goodbye is hilarious because if you're a Twitter user and engage in Magic discourse at all, half the time you open the app and it defaults to the "For You" page it's showing some post from a EDH content creator being sad about either Farewell or Ward. Kind of a funny move to print a slightly different second version.

The Goodbye card has an image associated with it that looks like the commander set, and not MH3. Which if true, makes what you say even funnier.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

The edict seems good but also really loving strange at 4 cmc. The counterspell gets to be 3 cmc so why wouldn't the edict?

That’s a good point. Cultivate and Cancel are 3 CMC and that’s how much their flare equivalents are, right? Idk what the red non-flare equivalent is, but 3 CMC feels right. Odd that the black one costs so much to hard cast.

Where do you see the black edict fitting in? I like it the least because (other than green) it seems the least likely to matter on a turn when you’re cashing in and trying to win.

Yoked posted:

The Goodbye card has an image associated with it that looks like the commander set, and not MH3. Which if true, makes what you say even funnier.

Lmao outstanding.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
iirc, Edict is 3cmc, Edict with a downside is 2cmc, and getting their biggest dude feels like an upside, so this is 4 ?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Edict with upside is 2. In Standard.

A "greatest mana value" edict hasn't shown up before, but "greatest power" has (Crackling Doom, Extract a Confession), and doesn't seem like it justifies costing 4.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

iirc, Edict is 3cmc, Edict with a downside is 2cmc, and getting their biggest dude feels like an upside, so this is 4 ?

I mean the cmc part is def on rate at 3, but its also a very old rate IMO. It being 4 cmc seems a bit brutal. I feel like the point of these were to be playable even if you have to hard cost them and I don't think 4 is the rate that works for this effect in modern.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Oh, you can conveniently get this effect at instant speed using Crib Swap or Nameless Inversion.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

fadam posted:

Goodbye 4BB
Sorcery (R)
Choose one or more–
• Destroy all creatures.
• Destroy all battles.
• Exile all graveyards.

So would the blue version be "So Long" and the red one "Auf Wiedersehen"?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Oh, you can conveniently get this effect at instant speed using Crib Swap or Nameless Inversion.

If you have a ton of mana, an Eldrazi spell and an instant speed Eldrazi spell, I think you can get as many copy effects as you can pay the mana for, doubling every time:
Cast spell 1
Trigger 1 on stack
Cast instant spell 2
Trigger 2 on stack
Pay for trigger 2, copy spell 1, spell 2 and trigger 1, putting the copy trigger 1 on top
Pay for the copy of trigger 1, copying spell 1, spell 2, trigger 1, copy of spell 1 and copy of spell 2
etc

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

They already printed biggest creature or planeswalker edict at 3. It's called Soul Shatter. They're making you pay an extra mana for the "flexibility".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you have a ton of mana, an Eldrazi spell and an instant speed Eldrazi spell, I think you can get as many copy effects as you can pay the mana for, doubling every time:
Cast spell 1
Trigger 1 on stack
Cast instant spell 2
Trigger 2 on stack
Pay for trigger 2, copy spell 1, spell 2 and trigger 1, putting the copy trigger 1 on top
Pay for the copy of trigger 1, copying spell 1, spell 2, trigger 1, copy of spell 1 and copy of spell 2
etc

Throw Karn Reforged in there (or some other triggered ability that makes colourless mana when it resolves) and you got a stew going.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you use Brood Monitor to start it off, you can put the copy of it on top, then the copy of the copy trigger, so you just generate infinite tokens that can sac for infinite mana. Use Dimensional Infiltrator as the flash Eldrazi, and you can use that infinite mana to exile everyone's entire deck. And you "only" need 10 mana to start it off!

You can also use the cheaper eldrazi that generate fewer tokens, but then you need to pay the copy cost multiple times before you can go mana-positive, so it's not any cheaper overall.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Of course if you're using Ashnod's Altar as a mana source then it's much easier - you can go off with just Blisterpod+Infiltrator for a total of 5 mana.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

never mind

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Archenteron posted:

So would the blue version be "So Long" and the red one "Auf Wiedersehen"?

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Generously maybe that guy has been burned a lot before, but yeah it's pretty lovely behavior over a $30 translation, particularly if you got back to them quickly and explained it.

Looking at their site, surprised they haven't been shut down / that they can print large sets. Given the description of the cards, seems incredibly likely they're just printing through MakePlayingCards, making a profit of like ~60 cents on each card. It's a weird unnecessary middle man, though I guess their interface is a little better than MPC. Pretty bad practice not altering the front-face to note the cards are proxies.

Also gross that they're selling holofoil stickers that mimic the rare/mythic stamp. Obvious enough that no one should be fooled by it, but that still feels kind of shady.

edit: huh they claim they're printing these in the USA. That seems... pretty legally treacherous?

Hah. They got blacklisted from the bootleg mtg reddits. Rest assured, you aren't the rear end in a top hat here. https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcproxies/comments/11ijoyh/printingproxiescom_is_now_banned_from_rmpcproxies/

Lol that website is selling 100 sleeves for $4... you can buy the exact sleeves from cramazon, 1000 for $20. They're absolutely just dropshipping MPC proxies and other poo poo, gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Cast spell 1
Trigger 1 on stack
Cast instant spell 2
Trigger 2 on stack
etc

The copies are not cast.
Now, if you had a way to copy the initial trigger, then you could go as far as you could afford since paying CC would copy the one not resolved yet