Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

hey folks! it's been—*checks post history* :negative:

a while. it's been a while since I last posted in a SA Magic thread. let's leave it at that.

I recently got back into the game, which seems like a good excuse to stream, so I can actually interact with other people because I've been feeling a bit cooped up recently.

I'll be streaming some standard brewing / MID drafts if you're interested in that stuff, or even if you simply want to yell at a stranger for not being a particularly powerful wizard. Maybe reminisce about how much you miss type 1.5, or how once you earned a "pro point" at a "GP," or how Shandalar remains the best piece of M:tG software ever created.

For reference, I'll be testing out lists with an Esika's Chariot + Teleportation Circle + Glorious Protector core wrapped in either an Abzan or Bant shell, because I only like playing Yorion decks when nobody else is.

Edit: Done for the day—thanks for stopping by! I wound up not liking the Bant build a ton and the Junk list wound up looking like this:

rinski fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sealed is all the disappointment of cracking packs with all the frustration of tournaments play.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Played in the local prerelease and ended up going 1-2 with a black-white deck. My synergy came from Jadar, Dreadhound, the black adversary, and then some of the white creatures that care about creatures ETB or leaving the field. Also Adeline.

It was okay, but I didn’t have a ton of removal in my packs and I tended to get steamrolled but any opponent that ran any kinds of werewolves. Turns out playing cheap creatures and then having them transform into big beasts is pretty powerful.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Pulled a Wrenn & Seven and a Moonveil Regent in my Pre-Release kit but I'm currently in lock down so it's all for naught and I'm sad on the internet.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Pulled a Wrenn & Seven and a Moonveil Regent in my Pre-Release kit but I'm currently in lock down so it's all for naught and I'm sad on the internet.

Those are very sweet cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm gonna suspend ancestral visions and we can hopefully all be smarter in 3 pages

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

my prerelease kit had foil moonveil regent and the big demon; two mythics nice; shop got us set boosters as a bonus, opened a black commander rare in it
most people at the event ran Rx piles, turning creatures sideways works, who knew
tracking day/night in paper was easier than I thought

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fatherboxx posted:

my prerelease kit had foil moonveil regent and the big demon; two mythics nice; shop got us set boosters as a bonus, opened a black commander rare in it
most people at the event ran Rx piles, turning creatures sideways works, who knew
tracking day/night in paper was easier than I thought

I kept loving up and letting day turn to night while fighting werewolves. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson after the first time, but no.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

mikeraskol posted:

Those are very sweet cards.

Yeah I'm not mad about it but it would have been nice to beat face with them. Oh well time to build a G/R landfall commander deck I guess???

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TotalHell posted:

I kept loving up and letting day turn to night while fighting werewolves. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson after the first time, but no.

The Celestus is a great pickup no matter what you're doing in MIH draft, because it either enables your wolves or shuts off your opponent's

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
God I love drafting UB. This deck didn't come close to losing.

See the draft here as I switch out of Shipwreck Sifters disturb and hard in to decayed. T2 lord in to t3 Flip or Falcon, with something to do with the tokens afterwards is usually gg. With the tapper I got by without the black removal.
Remember to set a stop on the damage step or end of combat to be able to cast Cobble on your tokens before the decay triggers resolve.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Silhouette posted:

The Celestus is a great pickup no matter what you're doing in MIH draft, because it either enables your wolves or shuts off your opponent's

Yeah, I had one in my sealed prerelease packet and just totally ignored it since my deck barely interacted with the day/night cycle.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nothing good came in my two pre-release packs anyone else notice that the spin down die have the same red color pattern as previous packs? Was sort of hoping for like a Halloween orange this time around.

Or is it just the Fat Pack boxes that have a uniquely colored spin down?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

Nothing good came in my two pre-release packs anyone else notice that the spin down die have the same red color pattern as previous packs? Was sort of hoping for like a Halloween orange this time around.

Are the 20's not symbols any more?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Jiro posted:

Mine was off white with black numbers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone considering playing two headed giant: I would urge you to open 2x meathook massacres to win the game on the spot repeatedly.

Also learn the interaction for daybound/nightbound in 2hg

(It’s neither play can cast spells to make it night, but one player is to cast two spells for it to become day)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Legacy pit open getting towards the top 8

they just lost the stream though lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Anyone considering playing two headed giant: I would urge you to open 2x meathook massacres to win the game on the spot repeatedly.

Also learn the interaction for daybound/nightbound in 2hg

(It’s neither play can cast spells to make it night, but one player is to cast two spells for it to become day)

Magic: The Gathering: If Two Players Cast No Spells, It Becomes Night

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic: The Gathering: If Two Players Cast No Spells, It Becomes Night

Wizards isn’t made an official ruling on it but I ran it up the flagpole with the local L3

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I got absolutely housed yesterday playing standard vs a dude with a b/w control deck running 4xmeathook massacre and 4xwarlock class, and it made me realize that the Classes not being legendary is loving stupid

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silhouette posted:

I got absolutely housed yesterday playing standard vs a dude with a b/w control deck running 4xmeathook massacre and 4xwarlock class, and it made me realize that the Classes not being legendary is loving stupid

The Lands deck some goon posted a while ago occasionally gets multiple Druid Classes in play in a single turn, with enough mana to power them all up. That is the turn when you win.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking of MTG advertising I remember back around like the M10 release every poster and piece of ad copy was like "YOU are a PLANESWALKER." and I wonder if that ever confused people about the rules and made them think stuff that targets planeswalkers can go face

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

goferchan posted:

Speaking of MTG advertising I remember back around like the M10 release every poster and piece of ad copy was like "YOU are a PLANESWALKER." and I wonder if that ever confused people about the rules and made them think stuff that targets planeswalkers can go face

Honestly that still fucks with me. I don't think I've ever actually misplayed because of that, but I end up doing a double take while reading cards sometimes because of that kind of flavor stuff before there were planeswalker cards.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

wait, you guys are saying I can't exile my opponent, instantly ending the match as they get banished to the shadow realm?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Huh, now that I'm looking at scryfall, I didn't realize that they just went with the "anything that damages target player can also damage target planeswalker" thing for several sets; I thought that was just a way to errata pre-PW cards to give more avenues of interaction. Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Playing a durdly UB deck with a few of the fun "exile your opponent's cards to steal them" like Rogue Class and Siphon Insight and went up against a RW burn deck that I had zero chance against for how slow I was. But then my Siphon Insight pulled his Rem Karolus while I was at 4 life with an ~okay~ board to his poor one.

I cast it, because hey at least it gives me a turn while he shoots it down, before he resumes hitting me in the dome to finish the game. But it turns out he doesn't know how his own cards work, because he just kept sending his burn upstairs (to no effect) instead of killing the Rem, then I finished him off with Grazilaxx card advantage. I also got to live the dream of returning the discard 1B creature with Grazilaxx's ability.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

goferchan posted:

Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

I think it was dreadbore.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I think it was dreadbore.

You're right, that beats it, not sure what I messed up in my search.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It’s funny to think how much better the early planeswalker era would have been if the rules had allowed you to target planeswalkers with damage based spells with simple templating like they do now. Being forced to balance around burn decks really neutered red’s response to walkers.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

goferchan posted:

Huh, now that I'm looking at scryfall, I didn't realize that they just went with the "anything that damages target player can also damage target planeswalker" thing for several sets; I thought that was just a way to errata pre-PW cards to give more avenues of interaction. Looks like good old Hero's Downfall was the first "target creature or planeswalker" card.

It was slightly more complicated than that in a way that created highly unintuitive edge cases. The Planeswalker Redirection Rule made it so whenever you targeted a player with something that would deal damage you had the option to, on resolution, have it deal damage to a Planeswalker they controlled instead. This meant you couldn't bolt a walker if they had a leyline, and that you didn't know what they were going to hit before you responded.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

and that you didn't know what they were going to hit before you responded.

I did enjoy when someone would get 'caught' on tournament streams not understanding that interaction, and letting a bolt targeting the player resolve because they didn't understand the planeswalker redirection rule.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One time I had a Jace, the Mind Sculptor at 12 and I let a Lightning Bolt resolve because I forgot my life total was 3.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rinski posted:

a while. it's been a while since I last posted in a SA Magic thread. let's leave it at that.

I recently got back into the game, which seems like a good excuse to stream, so I can actually interact with other people because I've been feeling a bit cooped up recently.

I'll be streaming some standard brewing / MID drafts if you're interested in that stuff, or even if you simply want to yell at a stranger for not being a particularly powerful wizard. Maybe reminisce about how much you miss type 1.5, or how once you earned a "pro point" at a "GP," or how Shandalar remains the best piece of M:tG software ever created.

For reference, I'll be testing out lists with an Esika's Chariot + Teleportation Circle + Glorious Protector core wrapped in either an Abzan or Bant shell, because I only like playing Yorion decks when nobody else is.

Edit: Done for the day—thanks for stopping by! I wound up not liking the Bant build a ton and the Junk list wound up looking like this:

Heck yeah been forever. I’ll have to check the vods.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alternate art version

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I would buy secret lair: gargoyle cards but it's a picture of ron paul

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My sealed pool was very nice for pre-release. And I ended up going 3:1 wins losses for my matches. Red/Green/White Werewolf Coven felt really fun, although obviously I played it more because that was what my pool had for creatures that were good and synergestic, not because three-colour will be powerful in limited.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Edit; Sealed is the People's Format, truly egalitarian

Sealed is the closest limited gets to mimicking Capitalism. If you’re smart and skilled, you can maybe win with a lovely pool, but the odds are against you. And anyone starting with all the bombs/removal/synergy in the world can coast to victory thinking they’re the best player in the room. ( :haw: )

But every once in a while, you get the classic failson who opens the perfect pool but still scrubs out blaming everyone else for “just drawing better.”

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

rinski posted:

Oh drat, welcome back! I hope I get to catch one of your Cat Car blink deck streams.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

LifeLynx posted:

Oh drat, welcome back! I hope I get to catch one of your Cat Car blink deck streams.

if you think anyone with that AV isn't awesome I can't help you, welcome back Rinski!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is Annul maindeckable yet? Esika's Chariot is everywhere and I think there might be enough splash damage (Ranger Class, Portable Hole) to make interaction that's that cheap playable. obviously you're over the moon if you snag some big dumb artifact like Maul of the Skyclaves