Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

AngryBooch posted:

Oh we're getting some really interesting Mounts now.

I love the snake horse

This seems kind of crazy if you get to attack with it even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like that you can saddle Mounts with other Mounts. Sure, it's funny to think about flavor wise but it avoids the issue with Vehicle decks where you can't just put 12 Vehicles in your deck wily nily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For real. Feels like they're letting loose.

I hope it pays off, playing opponents cards is really cool but you see it so rarely because it's not usually viable relative to playing your own consistent good cards. If there's a critical mass of it here, I'd love to try the archetype in standard.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

AngryBooch posted:

Oh we're getting some really interesting Mounts now.

I love the snake horse
Snorse

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Snake horse Bob

Snorb

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I don't know what I want to do with her but I'll be brainstorming something. Paradox Haze is already $10 lol

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Braid of Fire and Leyline Tyrant?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LifeLynx posted:

I don't know what I want to do with her but I'll be brainstorming something. Paradox Haze is already $10 lol

things that trigger on upkeep include suspend and the initiative

people also are eyeing descent into avernus which is really silly

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

I love this because it does literally nothing on its own and its entirely on the players to come up with ways to exploit it. That's old school magic design baby

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blue getting a 2/2 creature for 1U with a decent ability and no drawbacks?

Has that ever happened before?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

Blue getting a 2/2 creature for 1U with a decent ability and no drawbacks?

Has that ever happened before?

the Orb of Zot posted:

There’s our first 2/2 for 1U with no drawback

don't think so

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

+

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AngryBooch posted:

I like that you can saddle Mounts with other Mounts. Sure, it's funny to think about flavor wise but it avoids the issue with Vehicle decks where you can't just put 12 Vehicles in your deck wily nily.

Mounts can mutually saddle each other.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Some flavor counter to the new Obeka

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

I love this because it does literally nothing on its own and its entirely on the players to come up with ways to exploit it. That's old school magic design baby

yeah it almost feels like it might be a mistake. who left this baneslayer dogshit in the card file??

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IPvYOkRV20

Someone made a hilarious deck using all kinds of weird effects and Universes Beyond sets. Transformers, Warhammer, Unfinity, The Initiative, Day/Night, The Monarch, and The City's Blessing. I had wanted to do a similar deck, but my idea was green/black - this red/white Stompy build works surprisingly well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I want to see "Tilting BS" as a decklist name in tournament records

Edit: "I have another deck coming in where I can only use Universes Beyond cards. I am not looking forward to that."

game 1 you love to see a turn 0 concede against leyline lmao

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 29, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wow I hadn't seen these cards and each one was like "oh yeah that would be fun to make a deck for" and having them altogether in one deck would be even better.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's gonna be pretty wild having stoneforge mystic (set code spg) in standard, I wonder what cool decks will enable. it would have been nice to have torpor orb (set code big) in standard to counter any nonsense, although oko thief of crowns (set code otp) will be oppressive enough that it probably wouldn't even be played. in any case the extra set cards from the thunder junction packs will be exciting to bring from draft into standard, magic's premier format

:troll:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalel posted:

it's gonna be pretty wild having stoneforge mystic (set code spg) in standard, I wonder what cool decks will enable. it would have been nice to have torpor orb (set code big) in standard to counter any nonsense, although oko thief of crowns (set code otp) will be oppressive enough that it probably wouldn't even be played. in any case the extra set cards from the thunder junction packs will be exciting to bring from draft into standard, magic's premier format

i feel like you're trying to make a point with this post other than the obvious 'be as wrong as possible' but i'm not seeing it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kalel posted:

wait till you hear that WotC has been making sets where not a single card is legal in the standard format for decades...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've always wanted to make the original Obeka since she's so unique, but just "load up on cheap value and block the sacrifice" isn't really satisfying enough as the gameplan.

kalel posted:

None of this ever matters because nobody just shows up to play Standard.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The only thing I've seen from this set so far is new vraska and I love her card

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

More golgari cards I say
Edit: so this is a heist set with people from planes everywhere? I haven't been following for a while but I love a good heist. I am just confused why I see innistraad and ravnica peeps

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 30, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After the Phyrexian invasion there's just Omenpaths that connect all the planes now so non-walkers are able to visit other planes, kinda like Stargate SG-1

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After the Phyrexian invasion there's just Omenpaths that connect all the planes now so non-walkers are able to visit other planes, kinda like Stargate SG-1

Oh sick. And I see Jace is back to being a perfect Planeswalker again. Neat to have a set or 2 where Jace isn't mega Jesus

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RC Cola posted:

Oh sick. And I see Jace is back to being a perfect Planeswalker again. Neat to have a set or 2 where Jace isn't mega Jesus

the most we know about jace is about a paragraph when he gets found out to have been disguised as ashiok since wilds of eldraine, and according to annie flash at least he looks very hosed up and still phyrexianized. he's also there to steal a fomori baby for mysterious, presumably evil reasons

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wouldn't mind a story where Jace is the big bad and Emrakul ends up involved somehow considering their mind link back on Innistrad.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

flatluigi posted:

the most we know about jace is about a paragraph when he gets found out to have been disguised as ashiok since wilds of eldraine, and according to annie flash at least he looks very hosed up and still phyrexianized. he's also there to steal a fomori baby for mysterious, presumably evil reasons

I take it back that's cool. Evil Jace is interesting

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

More Fay Dalton...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Mike N Eich posted:

It's something that was used in the Doctor Who set, and in that one was basically designed to get more use out of Suspend. So there's at least that.

In a commander deck you can pair her with the Ninth Doctor and Clara Oswald to get at least five upkeeps in a turn.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if that Eriette will be good in Brawl, but by God I'm gonna give her a try.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/statement-on-trouble-in-pairs posted:

We've heard questions on the integrity of the art on the card Trouble in Pairs from the Murders at Karlov Manor Commander set, and we had questions, too. As we have looked into this further, we're now suspending future work with Fay Dalton.

I'm glad I didn't order that baseball card secret lair now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kalel posted:

It is a bummer to get cards and get excited to use them and not be able to. If someone only plays standard, Arena could easily accommodate and generate packs that only provide standard legal cards. Memorizing set codes most players don't even know where to look for isn't a good enough flag when you're on a deck building screen wondering why that sick card you just pulled isn't there.

Alternatively they could add a little sound effect and fart cloud when they give you a card for a format your account has literally never played.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Alternatively they could add a little sound effect and fart cloud when they give you a card for a format your account has literally never played.

lmao

can someone call an arena dev? we need this in the next release

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

More Fay Dalton...

lol, that's the literal first result for "Lion Portrait". Seems like Dalton's just gotten sloppy with her references. This feels less egregious than the other ones, the form is there, but it's not a carbon copy like the merfolk lady. Don't think I'd call this one plagiarism, though it's another person's oil painting, and that feels icky to do moreso than if you just traced a photo. You can probably do this for a lot of mtg art, particularly for the animals I'd wager.

She's probably piecing together in Photoshop multiple images, then drawing over those for the frame and going from there. The baseball player body is probably cobbled from a photo or other work too.

edit: Looking this up, first result is that freemagic subreddit. Man, worst people in this hobby really have conglomerated there eh? Top comments on the plagiarism post:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 30, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seb got canceled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tl;dr version is he was proudly and loudly anti-vax and also some photos surfaced of him with some Nationalist folks. Wizards cut ties.