Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Weird Pumpkin posted:

oh I didn't realize post was actually unbanned at one point. I assumed it was one of those things that just kind of started banned

post was banned along with ponder and preordain immediately after the first major modern tournament in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm just psyched that they remember that Lairs exist

Finish the cycle you cowards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

It's all moot since the Nexus makes Tron the better one by default

Not really I don't think? The current modern green Tron deck doesn't have room for it and is already able to extremely consistently hit t3 tron unless it's facing a lot of disruption which I don't think nexus would make better anyways.

It would make eldrazi/colorless tron less worse than the green tron deck but idk if that's enough to push it over or even get close.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fajita Queen posted:

Not really I don't think? The current modern green Tron deck doesn't have room for it and is already able to extremely consistently hit t3 tron unless it's facing a lot of disruption which I don't think nexus would make better anyways.

It makes eldrazi/colorless tron less worse than the green tron deck but idk if that's enough to push it over or even get close.

4 mana on t2 is better than 3. It makes every tower tap for 3 and the other two into sol lands, while none of them enter tapped. Posts advantagers were the lifegain and exponential growth but the threshold costs are lower now.
TKS only needs 4 mana. You don't need to get to 15 anymore.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
some cool and powerful looking cards so far. getting hyped

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Nexus IS another post in legacy, but idk how much those post decks are balancing their color requirements right now. A post that can cast crop rotation and elvish reclaimer seems kinda sweet though

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A look at another SL they're releasing. yes the text is on purpose

moNdAy, mAy 13
HaPpY MaYpRiL FoOlS To aLl tHoSe wHo cElEbRaTe! ThIs iS DeFiNiTeLy wHeN ThIs dRoP WaS MeAnT To bE ReVeAlEd!

cAn't wAiT To gEt a hOLd oF tHeSe tOtAlLy nOrMaL CaRdS? sPrInG SuPeR DrOp 2024 LaUnChEs mAy 13 At 9 a.m. Pt uNtiL jUnE 2 At 11:59 p.m. Pt (WhiLE SuPpLiEs lAsT).

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 1, 2024

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why would you do this

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

T'ha is so strange, it's not even random, the letters that are un upper case are always the same ones.

Edit: nah, i was wrong. But it seems like there is a pattern? I don't understand...

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
every day we stray further from god

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's the spongebob mocking text meme

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flatluigi posted:

it's the spongebob mocking text meme

No this is early 2000s internet. Like this site.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Comic Sans is a nice touch.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i would think maybe its a late april fools joke, with the joke being a reverse trick thing where the cards aren't like that but they also posted a short clip on youtube of them opening the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdfBeY-VN1w

unless the cards are also 1-offs.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Strong Sauce posted:

moNdAy, mAy 13
HaPpY MaYpRiL FoOlS To aLl tHoSe wHo cElEbRaTe! ThIs iS DeFiNiTeLy wHeN ThIs dRoP WaS MeAnT To bE ReVeAlEd!

cAn't wAiT To gEt a hOLd oF tHeSe tOtAlLy nOrMaL CaRdS? sPrInG SuPeR DrOp 2024 LaUnChEs mAy 13 At 9 a.m. Pt uNtiL jUnE 2 At 11:59 p.m. Pt (WhiLE SuPpLiEs lAsT).

finally jeff k is playing mtg

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
This is not how I wanted Wizards working on their fomo problem

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No fomo no problem

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
anyone know why eon hub is suddenly 35 dollars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A big flaming stink posted:

anyone know why eon hub is suddenly 35 dollars

Still pennies on cardmarket (and it was cheap on tcgplayer last week), so I'd guess some American mtgfinance dumbass. Either that or someone has a soul read on some new format-breaking combo, but dumbshittery is far more likely.

FWIW, it is a pretty unique effect.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

saw this on mtg art market:

largest original painting for a mtg card

quote:

Winter Moon by Drew Baker
hearing offers - Offers will be heard until Friday night, 11:59pm eastern time, May 3, 2024
oil on panel (lightweight ACM), 4’ x 6’ (1.22m x 1.83m)
An offer may be accepted early.
Payment through nearly any processing, as long as you cover the fees.
Please message me if you wish to put in an offer.
There are color studies, which will be auctioned.
Payment plans can be arranged for short time periods. Shipping will be determined based on location and at cost with full insurance coverage included. Will use FedEx or UPS, and estimated cost with crating (required) is roughly $800 in the USA.
--
As for the card itself, it’s Winter Orb made for 2024. Monocolored decks have never been so lucky.
Will it be used to shut off urzatron decks? You betcha. Do greedy mana bases need to be punished? Of course. Is this about as cheap costed and templated as you can get for any monocolored sideboard? Definitely.

Some words from Drew
“When I talk about learning oil painting I often say it took about 5 years for me to be able to do my illustrations in oils, and then I decided I wanted to learn to make paintings. Now, to clarify, when I started doing game illustrations the standard was to do original art about 1.5 to 2 times publication size. This was not the golden age of illustration, and working with those size constraints and the generally tighter stylistic preferences of game art really doesn't allow for a lot of physicality with the paint. There just isn't space to play and explore and develop a painting that way, photographing it can be very difficult, and so on.
Over the years I got to enjoy doing more of that kind of painting, and when I did some life-size paintings for Star Wars I finally had the chance to bring those skills to bear on work for publication. Now, this isn't the sort of thing I like to say, but if I'm honest, I'm proud of those paintings. I like what I accomplished with those. And I wanted to do more work like that. Unfortunately, making a large painting does have complications, and publishing schedules make it even more difficult. I wanted to do Magic art with some of my new (new-ish? newer?) skills for a long time, but it just never worked out.
Enter: mortality.
Bluntly, I'm getting older. My opportunities to do things are running out. So I stopped waiting for a good time to do it, and just did it.
Of course, one person never does anything on their own, and I got very lucky working with Deborah Garcia on MH3. When the workload was causing problems and deadlines were looming, she slotted one of the pieces into the next art wave's time table and took all the pressure off me. I tell myself it also wasn't a big hassle for her -- I hope that's true!
I've been doing outdoor landscape painting as a hobby for 7 or 8 years, and that really informed my approach to this piece -- varying the handling of the different materials to give them their own characters and interests, breaking colors, building textures, all that. Obviously I researched moon and space and aurora reference, but I tried to avoid looking at space-related paintings. I've never painted space before, and I thought there would be too much danger of my ending up doing a large-scale pastiche of someone else's work.”

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

moNdAy, mAy 13

secret lair: minmo

I wonder if they'll do a secret lair with all text in wingdings, they've done poo poo in all phyrexian so it wouldn't be a stretch

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

that's cool as hell

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

That's awesome. I have some original Drew Baker art from another game (he drew & painted a character that basically became my self insert after I started working on the game) and he is a class act. Great to see he is still able to flex his skills now in the tabletop space.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

It's kind of wild to me he was ever working at near-size. Even when working purely digitally, the printed resolution of a card is so small it feels weird to work at that scale of going for a painterly look. Even though the art will be shrunk for print, you get compressed details you couldn't paint by hand the same natural way that comes with burshstrokes with visible texture digital or physical.

I figured most folks painted at an average size, if not larger to get more details. Somehow I don't imagine there's a good repository of MtG physical paintings out there, only seen a few as they've popped up through the artists themselves. Thanks for sharing, love to hear and see the art process.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

I figured most folks painted at an average size, if not larger to get more details. Somehow I don't imagine there's a good repository of MtG physical paintings out there, only seen a few as they've popped up through the artists themselves. Thanks for sharing, love to hear and see the art process.

https://twitter.com/CarlyLady/status/1376277773036220420?lang=en

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Friend's have bullied me into playing commander with them, which has caused some rules questions I don't know (more than one opponent is confusing!)

First, let's say Steve plays Mass Manipulation and steals Bob's Niv-Mizzet, who is his commander, then on her turn Amy plays Act of Treason on said Niv-Mizzet. When act of treason's effect ends, does it go back to Steve who last had control of the creature, or does it go back to Bob who is the original owner?

Second, in the case above, Amy swings for damage on Steve with the Niv-Mizzet. Since this is Bob's commander, commander damage apply towards Steve's total?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Khanstant posted:

It's kind of wild to me he was ever working at near-size. Even when working purely digitally, the printed resolution of a card is so small it feels weird to work at that scale of going for a painterly look. Even though the art will be shrunk for print, you get compressed details you couldn't paint by hand the same natural way that comes with burshstrokes with visible texture digital or physical.

its a way for artists to make some extra money since they can sell the painting, the color roughs and the sketches. original paintings go for the most and if certain artists painted it, it goes for a lot more. ryan pancoast easily gets over 10k for his and they're about average painting size. its usually not drawn this huge. some people sell 1/1 "repaintings" where they put something they drew on digital onto canvas.

short of the painting being of something popular in itself (for example the AFR set had some D&D paintings that went for crazy amounts), some artists have premiums b/c they're so popular. ryan pancoast can easily get $10K for his paintings. i think the obeka he did for OTJ went over that. it was pretty decent size.

this one though is huge. this feels like a museum piece and i wouldn't be surprised if it fetches well above $10k

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Friend's have bullied me into playing commander with them, which has caused some rules questions I don't know (more than one opponent is confusing!)

First, let's say Steve plays Mass Manipulation and steals Bob's Niv-Mizzet, who is his commander, then on her turn Amy plays Act of Treason on said Niv-Mizzet. When act of treason's effect ends, does it go back to Steve who last had control of the creature, or does it go back to Bob who is the original owner?

Second, in the case above, Amy swings for damage on Steve with the Niv-Mizzet. Since this is Bob's commander, commander damage apply towards Steve's total?

Control effects are applied in timestamp order, so after the Act, it'll go back to whoever had it last as that Control effect is now the most recent.

Commander damage is tracked per commander. So Steve loses if Niv does 21 combat damage to him, regardless of who controls him when Niv does the damage.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Abhorrence posted:

Control effects are applied in timestamp order, so after the Act, it'll go back to whoever had it last as that Control effect is now the most recent.

Commander damage is tracked per commander. So Steve loses if Niv does 21 combat damage to him, regardless of who controls him when Niv does the damage.

Okay, I had a feeling both of those were the case. Thank you very much for confirming!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Fashionable Jorts posted:

In the first example, it would go back to Steve. I’m not sure about the exact explanation but I assume it has to do with Layers?

And in the Second Example: Niv Mizzet hitting an opponent would give Steve 6 damage from Bob’s commander. So if Bob swung at Steve for 18 damage across past turns and Amy, Act of Treasons and swings in with bobs commander it would Kill Steve from Bob’s Commander Damage.

It is in fact possible to die to your own Commander Damage if they take control of it. :eng101:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

It is in fact possible to die to your own Commander Damage if they take control of it. :eng101:

New deck idea :unsmigghh:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Or play Jon Irenicus, steal commanders and give them to other people

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

or play Slicer and just give everyone a helpful robot friend every turn

who could object to that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Strong Sauce posted:

moNdAy, mAy 13

Apparently the artists didn't know that their art was going to be used for a "comedy" printing of the cards

https://twitter.com/vorthosmike/status/1786121518394528000

[edit]

Vorthosmike retracted the tweet

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 2, 2024

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Apparently the artists didn't know that their art was going to be used for a "comedy" printing of the cards

https://twitter.com/vorthosmike/status/1786121518394528000

That's annoying.

The Doom Blade is incredible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1786142874700001339

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

interesting stories about the origin of some cards cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiSCGu7Q7mc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Doom blade didn’t spell target correctly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Deestroy targeet Creeature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One step closer to a Homestuck secret lair.