Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I didn’t play with the original werewolves but I definitely think the current ones are a miserable design— you have to give up so much to get them to flip, but then your opponent has all the agency to react before you can do anything with them.

It feels like it disincentivises you from doing the fun things – playing the cool werewolves, getting to attack with the cool werewolves! – while often giving you no reward at all for doing so. It reminds me of the criticisms of Saviours of Kamigawa and its “don’t play spells” designs, which is a bad place for a mechanic to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

vegetables posted:

I didn’t play with the original werewolves but I definitely think the current ones are a miserable design— you have to give up so much to get them to flip, but then your opponent has all the agency to react before you can do anything with them.

It feels like it disincentivises you from doing the fun things – playing the cool werewolves, getting to attack with the cool werewolves! – while often giving you no reward at all for doing so. It reminds me of the criticisms of Saviours of Kamigawa and its “don’t play spells” designs, which is a bad place for a mechanic to be

You can also play it as a punishment for the sort of decks that want to draw go, control decks that don't want to play on their own turn now have to spend mana or get run over with little ability to respond, plus they can't gently caress up your turns either by casting on your turns.

The fun thing is building up a horde and then unleashing them when your opponent messes up, either by letting you take a turn off to transform, or by missing a turn themselves. It's an interesting balancing act that lets them make Werewolves much stronger than their mana cost suggests they should be on the backside (and they are much stronger than they should be, 4 mana 6/5 etc).

Plus it gives value to cards that let you forcibly flip, and the original Werewolf design was much worse because you basically never got to see them flip at all if your opponent was being a jerk about it.

During sealed I was absolutely adoring the tension of working out when to flip my wolves, or my opponent having to work out how to stop the flip happening by making sub-optimal plays that let me continue to board build without worrying about instants/flash creatures.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

You can also play it as a punishment for the sort of decks that want to draw go, control decks that don't want to play on their own turn now have to spend mana or get run over with little ability to respond, plus they can't gently caress up your turns either by casting on your turns.

The fun thing is building up a horde and then unleashing them when your opponent messes up, either by letting you take a turn off to transform, or by missing a turn themselves. It's an interesting balancing act that lets them make Werewolves much stronger than their mana cost suggests they should be on the backside (and they are much stronger than they should be, 4 mana 6/5 etc).

Plus it gives value to cards that let you forcibly flip, and the original Werewolf design was much worse because you basically never got to see them flip at all if your opponent was being a jerk about it.

During sealed I was absolutely adoring the tension of working out when to flip my wolves, or my opponent having to work out how to stop the flip happening by making sub-optimal plays that let me continue to board build without worrying about instants/flash creatures.

But it rarely plays out like this in practice in this Limited environment because the stronger decks have a lot of card draw/card flashback/card disturb and a lot of power at Sorcery speed anyway. The level of sub-optimality you create for your opponents is not close to what you’ve created for your opponents.

Having a 6/5 for 4 that is almost never actually a 6/5 for 4 is also really bad I think. R&D generally moved away from downside mechanics because new players couldn’t understand they were good, but I think it’s much worse to have something that looks amazing – and in a way that’s really appealing to new players! – but then you never actually get it, and can’t control when you do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

vegetables posted:

But it rarely plays out like this in practice in this Limited environment because the stronger decks have a lot of card draw/card flashback/card disturb and a lot of power at Sorcery speed anyway. The level of sub-optimality you create for your opponents is not close to what you’ve created for your opponents.

Having a 6/5 for 4 that is almost never actually a 6/5 for 4 is also really bad I think. R&D generally moved away from downside mechanics because new players couldn’t understand they were good, but I think it’s much worse to have something that looks amazing – and in a way that’s really appealing to new players! – but then you never actually get it, and can’t control when you do.

That's the point, you can control it now (you couldn't in the past) you just sacrifice tempo for power. Then your opponent in turn has to potentially overspend options to undo what you've done. As it was before you didn't get to do Werewolf things at all because it was any player playing cards could mess it up. Now to turn it back people need to cast two of their own cards (which whilst doable, is still spending all their mana) and often as the Werewolf player I didn't have anything to play on my turn anyway, so I swung if I thought I could get favourable trades and then sat and let the flip happen.

If your opponent is constantly making you flip back, you can also play the red cards that respond to when the time of day swaps and get benefit whilst still threatening with the werewolves, who even on the front sides are still plenty playable stat-lines for the most part.

If both sides are good, then the opponent just doesn't have any options at all for dealing with werewolves, and if the day sides are stronger there's no incentive for the werewolf player to take the turn off and flip them.

As it is now, the Werewolf Player has an option to flip them, and gets total control of if they flip them, which also of course keeps resources in hand. It also makes the Artifact and Torovald very valuable options for the Werewolf Player as well.

The original werewolves are straight up if your opponent has instants at all you're not likely to get to flip them ever, because it is trivially easy between two players to have 2 spells cast every turn. Now your opponent has to do stuff on their own turn to stop you, instead of smugly messing with you on your turn.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 21, 2021

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
You still have to announce all DFCs when drafting in person, right? I never did original innistrad or the recent Zen, and I’m afraid it being awkward going around the table saying our two flippy cards each

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A 6/5 for 4 at common is loving ridiculous though, so yes, you should have to work for it, and yes, sometimes the effort isn't worth it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TacoNight posted:

You still have to announce all DFCs when drafting in person, right? I never did original innistrad or the recent Zen, and I’m afraid it being awkward going around the table saying our two flippy cards each

To can't hide them, but you don't need to say anything. Just put them on the top of your pile so the back is visible, and cover them with your next pick as usual.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

To can't hide them, but you don't need to say anything. Just put them on the top of your pile so the back is visible, and cover them with your next pick as usual.

I’ve always heard you need to announce them on opening but you don’t need to announce if you’re taking it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look Around You posted:

I’ve always heard you need to announce them on opening but you don’t need to announce if you’re taking it.

It's to basically even the playing field for everyone involved, so that people next to you who see you open it but people down the table who don't see you open it have the same knowledge.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I looked it up. The tournament rules don't actually have that much to say

tourney rules posted:

Players may not reveal the front face of their card selections or the contents of their current packs to other
participants in the draft and must make a reasonable effort to keep that information from the sight of other
players. Players are not permitted to reveal hidden information of any kind to other participants in the draft
regarding their own picks or what they want others to pick. (Exception: This does not apply to double-faced cards,
both faces of which may be revealed at any time during a draft.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sit on my Facebook posted:

I genuinely don't understand what people itt find so objectionable about the day/night template.

It's wordy and I think you could have come up with singular game words for the actions of turning day into night and night into day and made cleaner cards.
Also they were (for maybe good reason I don't know I haven't played with them yet) very conservative with the non-transforming day/night cards that only turn it into day if it's neither night/day.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

It's wordy and I think you could have come up with singular game words for the actions of turning day into night and night into day and made cleaner cards.
Also they were (for maybe good reason I don't know I haven't played with them yet) very conservative with the non-transforming day/night cards that only turn it into day if it's neither night/day.

It's because everything that starts the process starts it in day (because Night is when all the Werewolves are extra strong and under-costed so if you could trivially make it night the person with the werewolves just gets to play one over-statted card a turn instead of taking the tempo loss to do so).

Turning Day into Night needs a cost because all the Werewolves Night Forms are (as usual) big under-costed monsters. Plus it makes the mechanic a bit simpler to understand when it starts, because it's day and the only way to turn day into night is the no cards cast, or very specific cards. Plus those cards like seeing it switch, so if you could do it by say. Casting it's day it's night it's day in a row you'd get a lot stronger synergy instead of at least needing to naturally perform the 2-spells no spells thing for effects like discard 2 draw 2 (for no mana), draw a card and heal 1 (for no mana), deal 1 damage (for no cost) so on and so forth.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

So you make these supposed "singular words", then have to put reminder text on everything so that they're all longer and wordier anyway. I don't think this solves any problems here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The World Inferno posted:

Well for one there's no 'golden hour' time of day which is the best time of day.

What do you think it is by default before it becomes day or night?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's twilight, c'mon! Vampires vs werewolves.

Sure, it becomes day first, but that's just because of Teferi mucking around.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Lunch imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
W7 is so good lol. It's going to be Gideon AOZ annoying after a few months but right now I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Mike N Eich posted:

Man, I'm extremely bad at this format but I enjoy it so much more than AFR.

You can draft any color pair as long as it has Black in it.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 21, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

So you make these supposed "singular words", then have to put reminder text on everything so that they're all longer and wordier anyway. I don't think this solves any problems here.

I don't know why you think this is any different from Magic in general.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

black isn't even the best colour in MID limited

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't know why you think this is any different from Magic in general.

My point was the current wording is fine, and adding more words isn't better.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

the best colour is bREaD

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lone Goat posted:

:bigwhat:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I'm not sure what the best color is in MID draft, I think blue has really been impressive and any of the Esper colors is pretty strong. The one thing I think we can all agree on is that RG is very bad.

Which is funny because it's supposed to be the Werewolf set, which is base in RG. I don't know if that's due to the awkwardness of the Day-Night mechanic or if the overall card quality is just low in those colors. I have noticed that the removal in Green is a bit weaker than it typically is, only one bite effect and the common fight card is just not that strong and more difficult to turn on (The 2 mana fight that needs coven to just add a counter).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I went to six wins with white/green in draft, so my sample size of one says thats the best combo. Thank you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's because everything that starts the process starts it in day (because Night is when all the Werewolves are extra strong and under-costed so if you could trivially make it night the person with the werewolves just gets to play one over-statted card a turn instead of taking the tempo loss to do so).

Turning Day into Night needs a cost because all the Werewolves Night Forms are (as usual) big under-costed monsters. Plus it makes the mechanic a bit simpler to understand when it starts, because it's day and the only way to turn day into night is the no cards cast, or very specific cards. Plus those cards like seeing it switch, so if you could do it by say. Casting it's day it's night it's day in a row you'd get a lot stronger synergy instead of at least needing to naturally perform the 2-spells no spells thing for effects like discard 2 draw 2 (for no mana), draw a card and heal 1 (for no mana), deal 1 damage (for no cost) so on and so forth.

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm saying the Celestus only makes it day if it is not night or day, what real difference does it make if the Celestus always made it day on ETB? Sure it makes the werewolves a little weaker, but ... ok?
Like I said, I haven't tried the cards yet so maybe it is a huge deal that 10 cards in a set of 277 are a little better.

Lone Goat posted:

I think if you say "When X comes into play, daybreaks/nightfalls" you don't need any reminder text. The Celestus has no reminder text.
Currently

quote:

If it's neither day nor night, it becomes day as The Celestus enters the battlefield.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.
{3}, {T}: If it's night, it becomes day. Otherwise, it becomes night. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever day becomes night or night becomes day, you gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
But I think you could do:

quote:

As The Celestus enters the battlefield, daybreaks.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.
{3}, {T}: If it's night, daybreaks. Otherwise, nightfalls. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever daybreaks or nightfalls, you gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's blue

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I don't get why they didn't go with "whenever the time of day changes" instead of "when night becomes day or day becomes night".

I do like "daybreak" and "nightfall" as trigger words, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm absolutely certain they just didn't want to add more vocab words. Personally I'd say it's intuitive enough, but I've taught enough people to play to know that the vocab is a huge barrier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'm absolutely certain they just didn't want to add more vocab words. Personally I'd say it's intuitive enough, but I've taught enough people to play to know that the vocab is a huge barrier.

Yeah making two new words to save like 9 characters seems like a horrendous idea.

Given all the keywords we already have, which one saves the least amount of space in the text box? Off the top of my head Defender is just "this creature can't attack", though also gives the game a cleaner way to ignore defender like on High Alert.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah making two new words to save like 9 characters seems like a horrendous idea.
58 on the Celestus

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Day breaks and night falls. Daybreak and nightfall are nouns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Blue is the best support color but all the best commons and uncommons in the set are in black. (I actually think that White is the second best.)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm guessing they'd rather be wordier than more elegant but use idioms, when a lot of people playing aren't native English speakers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

W7 is so good lol. It's going to be Gideon AOZ annoying after a few months but right now I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Cat car into wren make a tree attack with car get a second tree is real strong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Yeah it's pretty dumb. Chariot is also kind of a littler Gideon AOZ too.

I do think a standard format where a card as cool as W7 is the best thing to be doing is probably going to be a fun format.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bugsy posted:

I did this last night and it whipped rear end

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

vegetables posted:

IDK I've been playing a ton of MID limited and it's very possible for *the variance* to gift you 6 lands in a row while your opponent clogs up the board with a bunch of Werewolves. Alternatively you can get forced into playing out multiple spells on your turn just to flip the switch, even if the outcome is suboptimal, leaving you in a vulnerable position to once again get run over by burly lycanthropes.

The Day/Night mechanic is much better than OG Werewolves, it feels intuitive and strong without being overpowering and adds some nice complexity to games.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Blue is the best support color but all the best commons and uncommons in the set are in black. (I actually think that White is the second best.)

nah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Surprised that shipwreck sifters is so high. I never seem to get enough spirits or disturb cards to make it worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hadn't seen this but it's interesting that the community pick order is way higher on the black commons than their metrics. I guess i'm in the middle of that group think lol