Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hey guys this game is still fun after almost 30 years what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I love some of the experimental decks appearing with the new standard. Just people throwing poo poo together and trying to make something stick. Still tons of optimized stuff but way more wacky bullshit for now.

I much prefer this chaotic and unknown form of magic rather than the one where you try to do something creative but instead get your face caved in by embercleave on turn 3. That fucker, anax, bonecrusher and torbran are gone now, thankfully, but I'm sure something will rise to claim the aggro throne soon enough.

Bant Party is absolutely bonkers right now

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ShaneB posted:

how can anyone tell what the cards in that deck are?

It's probably this list

Deck
3 Fading Hope
1 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jwari Disruption
2 Negate
3 Cathartic Pyre
2 Cinderclasm
2 Galvanic Iteration
4 Divide by Zero
4 Memory Deluge
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Alrund's Epiphany
3 Battle of Frost and Fire
8 Island
8 Mountain
3 Hall of Storm Giants
1 Frostboil Snarl
4 Riverglide Pathway

Sideboard
1 Suspicious Stowaway
2 Malevolent Hermit
3 Mind Flayer
1 Disdainful Stroke
2 Burning Hands
1 Cinderclasm
2 Environmental Sciences
1 Teachings of the Archaics
2 Mascot Exhibition

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Whats the wincon of this deck, just beating people to death with the birds from Alrund's Epiphany when you get a bunch of turns?

manland beats with Hall of Storm Giants mostly. It's SUPER loving frustrating to play against cause they just counter/bounce/nuke your threats and durdle forever.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

What, historically, has been the strategic approach to counter or deal with or beat blue decks that just counter everything you do, draw shitloads of cards, and eventually win by not letting you play?

Get off to a real fast start and mudhole stomp em, put out more threats than they can answer

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Chamale posted:

Read Bereaved Survivor. "When another creature you control dies, transform Bereaved Survivor." By the rules, if two creatures die, there should be two triggers - one would transform Bereaved Survivor into Dauntless Avenger, and then the second would transform it back. That's clearly not how the card is meant to work, but is there any text or rule that says that's not how it works? Are we back to using intuition over rules when the card text doesn't seem to make sense?

Once it transforms there's no longer a creature called bereaved survivor in play. It's dauntless avenger so if there were two triggers on the stack the second trigger would do nothing

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

kalvanoo posted:

counterpoint: there are a good mix of very good decks right now and standard is actually good

I tend to share this sentiment. Yes, there are some very strong cards that are in a wide variety of decks that you need answers to, but there are a ton of different decks that use them. It's not like one or two decks dominate and there's nothing else. It's a pretty good mix right now. Yes, getting housed by super powerful cards sucks, but I can't name a single format ever that didn't have prevalent strong cards that you would roll your eyes at and you had to pack answers for.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I just miss drafting full blocks. OG Ravnica block limited was absolutely bonkers. I know that's a high watermark but if they do it once they could do it again.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

There’s actually a really fun and somewhat competitive bant party deck for standard right now. It does a good job of showcasing how the mechanic could be very powerful. It also showcases how bullshit meathook massacre is.

Bant Party absolutely shreds, and teabagging your opponent with linvala when they try to blood on the snow you is awesome, but you're right about Meathook. That card makes that deck cry blood

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

babypolis posted:

how the hell did drafting work with those blocks? you had different guilds in every set right?

i guess you either pick something early on and stick with that, or do some weird wedge staff. i remember hearing that invasion block was fun because there was lot of tension between sticking with the allied colors early or holding out until apocalypse so you could grab all the super strong enemy color stuff

Oh man it was so awesome. Ideally you'd end up in 3 colors which would put you in 3 guilds, but with all the mana fixing you could play a 4th. Rav you could take Golgari, Guildpact you could take Gruul, and Dissension you could take Rakdos and end up in BRG and with enough signets the mana was even pretty smooth. Absolutely my favorite limited format ever.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Toshimo posted:

This ain't the thread for that, but I encourage you to PM me your treatise "In the Defense of Selling Bootleg DVDs".

Nothing goes better with a Torta and a nice Jarritos than a buttcam copy of Amazing Spiderman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

babypolis posted:

pretty crazy that LSV makes such a meager amount of twitch considering he usually has over 2k viewers. much smallers channels make a lot more money than he does. althought now that i think about it, its probably because he streams a lot less than other people and twitch only represents a small slice of the pie for him.

twitch payouts aint poo poo- it's all about the donos