Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

I genuinely don't understand what people itt find so objectionable about the day/night template.

Day/night works really well and I wish that they had done it this way from the beginning, because the main confusion I have from it is due to the differences that it has from the original way werewolves were done. I definitely got my opponent once during the prerelease because they changed it from any player casting zero/2+ spells per turn to only the active player casting zero/2+ spells per turn; and the only reason I knew that change was from playing Arena. I do think that it's better this way because it gives a player much more control over whether it becomes night, but it can be unintuitive, as my opponent found out.

The other... I don't know if problem is quite the correct word to use, but at least issue, is the fact that almost all werewolves are all objectively better at night than at day, while the new day/night templating allows for designing cards that gain benefits whenever the environment changes. Mostly I wish that meant there were more werewolves that gained benefits from it becoming daytime, or at least weren't just "here's the same creature, but bigger" at night, because the only ones that come to mind that don't fall into that latter category are Brutal Cathar and Huntmaster of the Fells, so one rare and one mythic. It was pointed out in one of the threads that a mechanic based around "I don't do anything during my turn" can be pretty double-sided, so having some sort of punishment if you pass your turn and your opponent just plays two spells would be nice, especially if they can gain double benefits from their own cards in that scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also thematically appropriate that the werewolves get better at night, because well, they become giant wolf monsters instead of normal humans.

I mean, I guess? I thought of it more like the werewolves were mindless beasts - stronger, sure, but less intelligent. Ironically enough there was a card in Innistrad that captured that idea well, but it was a blue/red DFC that was meant to be Jekyll and Hyde as opposed to a werewolf. And either way, even if it's thematically appropriate, it leads to less fun gameplay. Like, let's say I play a 3CMC werewolf on T3 and pass, and my opponent plays a Celestus Sanctifier or a Brimstone Vandal or a Firmament Sage and passes. Now I'm kinda stuck, because if I pass my turn so my werewolf gets bigger, not only does my opponent also benefit, but I run the risk of them playing two spells, turning my werewolf back off, and double-dipping with their guy; and if I do play a spell during my turn, well, then my werewolf doesn't flip and it's just generally not as good. It creates a scenario where the only way that I win is if my opponent has nothing to play, which is something I can't really rely on.

Chamale posted:

The original Werewolves had the serious problem that if you passed the turn to transform everything, your opponent could cast a one-mana instant on your end step to ruin your plans. It was impossible to make a good tribal werewolf deck, although Mayor of Avabruck and Huntmaster of the Fells were good on their own.

Yeah, this is what I mean. The new templating is good, but there should be more werewolves that have distinct, different benefits on either side.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I went 1-2 with Maestros last night; had the classic issue of almost all of my rares being off color or, in the case of the big dumb red mythic enchantment, completely useless. I ended up UBR splashing white for Oscura Ascendancy, which was an absolute bomb when I got to go off with it, but otherwise my pool was pretty weak with not much of a top end. It seemed like a lot of games were very long and grindy, and I can't tell if that was just because that's how sealed goes, if the format itself is slow, or if my pool was just terrible. MVPs were definitely Corpse Appraiser and the Expendable Lackey/Grisly Sigil combo, which I had to explain to every opponent. On the bright side, my store gave out set boosters as prize packs (is that the norm now?) and I pulled a Sensei's Divining Top from The List, so between that and pulling a promo GWU triome and a regular GWU triome in my pool, I more than made my money back.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

I'm on the east coast for a while and at a Commander night in TN there was a cop wearing his badge playing in a pod. Haven't seen that on the west coast.

I moved to TN from CA about five years ago and there was a dude open carrying at the Dominaria prerelease. That was certainly a bit of a culture shock.

There was also a second guy who was talking about getting his open carry license. He got real mad during a casual Commander game and slammed his deck on the table before storming out.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I've lived in Tennessee for five years now and haven't had a nervous breakdown so I guess I must've adapted. Also, I dropped that store and went to one with a better weapon policy.

Also "if you don't like it you should just move" isn't quite the argument you think it is.