Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I doubt they'd make a keyword for "enters the battlefield, if it was cast from your hand" unless they change how they design creatures and make that the normal case. Right now it's only on a couple of things where they decided it would be too OP if you could get it from flicker/reanimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wizards have got a lot better at templating over the years too. Remember the jank of early cards?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah I conflated bad templating and "oddly specific and verbose rules text"

Illusionary Mask is a great one, I should have put that instead. Did the face-down creature's static abilities somehow secretly apply back in 1993?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

Currently, we are restricting these changes to digital-only cards, where there will be no conflict between a digital and printed version of a card. We would like to expand beyond this (for example, by rebalancing previously banned cards so they can be safely returned to play in digital formats only). There are multiple clarity and communication problems we will need to solve before we can consider those types of changes. This is something we plan to work on in the coming months and, since it bears repeating, would only affect digital formats.

Currently only rebalancing the digital-only cards, but they want to do it to more cards later.

And unlike the past eras of power level errata, the current rebalances include random tweaks rather than "this thing is way too good in a way we didn't intend"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Mike/Eleven are a worse 5c commander than like half a a dozen existing ones. They are both low-medium power on their own and don't synergies at all.

I expect some unrevealed cards will have more synergy

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah it has a bad name and feels out of place for Innistrad.

Like if they called it REDACT and had it be a Dimir card, or on Kaladesh, or the setting that Conspiracy is on, it'd be a much better fit.

If I was in charge, and wanted to make it vaguely fit Innistrad, what with the ones we've seen being paying more to remove a [limitation], something like "Unseal" could work, flavoured as people ripping the protective wards off of ancient powerful magic. Although that works better for vaguely-lovecraft Innistrad than for vampire Innistrad

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's probably Cleave because

The Bible posted:

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh

So related to weddings except not in any way that makes sense for the mechanic

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I mentally put Dominaria as the point they started making interesting art again, probably because the sagas are cool.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Could you hexmage this

Yes but you still have to wait until your upkeep for it to trigger

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like how that Odric preview dropped into the thread during a discussion about how cards were turning into giant walls of uninteresting words

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Were they demanding a properly done negative test, or was it the self-adminstered thing where you can just lie and say you did it (or do it honestly but not stick the thing far enough up your nose)?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Don’t worry I cast Snakeskin Veil on myself so I can’t be targeted by covid

Sorry, Covid doesn't target, it's "all creatures"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Is there a reason on an otherwise empty board I wouldn’t be able to Vanishing Verse a Rahilda?

It should work fine. Was it something dumb like not having the mana?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Every rare PERMANENT was Legendary.

nah just the creatures (although there legendary cards of the other types, they weren't all legendary)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The neon borders thing looks cool, but lol at <1% rates. Also I'm not big on cards with a prominent coloured border that doesn't match the colour of the card.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Isn't Jukai Trainee's ability just Bushido? Wonder why that's not Keyworded.

Probably not enough creatures have it in the set for it to be a Real Set Keyword

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This way, :corsair: can recognise that it's bushido and feel nostalgic for old Kamigawa and everyone else doesn't have to wonder why they bothered keywording a lame-rear end mechanic

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

The Kami War should be an unplayable timmy mythic but something makes me think that I'm gonna be sitting across from at least one opponent in draft who gets the stars to align to make it work and they'll kick my rear end.

At least you'll win the other two games when their mana base kills them

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Young me loved Kjeldoran Outpost. It just sat there very slowly making GBS threads out an endless stream of soldiers

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not mad, look at this 800 word essay I wrote about how not mad I am

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, somehow it's grosser than what I suggested.

3. Mechanical overview summarized as "violating" and "win more." Likely manifests to fun game-play experience playing Phyrexians, unfun game-play experience fighting against Phyrexians.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Has there been anything shown yet which makes the second ability relevant?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

People can still satisfy their lust for vehicle crew cycles by having Vehicle A crew Vehicle B, and Vehicle B then re-crew Vehicle A.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That would have to read "Whenever you pay life add as many counters as life lost" or something. There are three instances of payment.

If it was one counter per payment, it would be worded "Whenever you pay life, put a blood counter on Font of Agonies"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder what logic that guy had to think that an illegal play would get a lesser penalty than failing to notice an opponent's illegal play

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

As I understand it, with the current tournament rules it's cheating to intentionally ignore your own triggered abilities, but if you accidentally forget it the opponent doesn't have to point it out.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

So what's the real ending to this story? Did OP get DQ'ed? Did the opponent?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think they're unfixable without vastly changing the concept. Either they're bad and don't get played, or they're good and show up on curve every game until you're sick of them

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

After the tourmanent, it'll turn out that they only consider you negatively affected by it if you actually triggered the bug, but not if you held back from casting the spell because your opponent could nullify it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There are like half a dozen people who want the reserved list, but they have a lot of money

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Quick check: Madness cost is 4CMC or 6CMC?

"CMC" (or MV these days) refers to the spell/card itself, not abilities that it has. The spell has a CMC of 3 regardless of how you cast it.

If you want to cycle it and then cast it with madness, it'll cost you six mana in total, spread across two separate payments. If you discard it for some other reason (maybe an opponent cast a discard spell at you) you can cast it with madness for four mana.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My guess is that they'll be conspiracy like things that sit in your command zone giving your commander some extra ability and/or extra colour identity, and that like conspiracies they'll only be allowed in draft.

Lets them apply to any commander in a draft without cluttering up the text of every commander and without completely breaking the wider non-draft game.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kalel posted:

if there was a "exiled this way" clause it would pretty cut and dry. as it stands we'll know for sure when the arena devs come out and say the game engine let you cast it (or didn't let you cast it) the way they intended, kind of like when alrund, god of the cosmos' ability was templated wrong and they only caught it during implementation

It looks pretty cut and dried to me? The permission to cast from exile is part of the ability that exiles it as a cost, so if you exiled it some other way you didn't activate the ability so you don't get to cast it from exile.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It can be hard to keep track of everything that exists, but at least it's not the era where every single card was generic fantasy in exactly the same style

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's a bit of a dodgy comparison since the sets are different ages and were printed different amounts and reprints affect things etc etc etc, but Saviors has seven cards scryfall lists at >$10 for their native printing, compared to two for Prophecy.

And in terms of the sets as a whole rather than a few top cards, "If you have seven cards in your hand do something unexciting" might be a bad mechanic but it's better than "sacrifice a land: do something unexciting" and "do something unexciting unless your opponent pays 1"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, if you remove the creature the caster targeted the second clause fizzles, right?

The spell doesn't target, you choose the creature on resolution and the opponent can't kill it in response.

The effect of the odd clause is to make it so that if you have no creatures on the board you don't get to wrath.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Does the phrasing mean you could choose to only count Oozes if you want to?

No, you don't have a choice

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's nothing in the main rules about freely untapping your lands before you spend the mana. The tournament rules allow takebacks at the judge's discretion provided that you gained no information (including no fishing for opponent's reactions), which I think has been semi-formalised as you're allowed to undo tapping your lands if you haven't done anything since you tapped them. But this case clearly isn't covered there since rolling the d20 gives you information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Choose your own dual land for commander but you can only have one is a weird design, four of these in normal decks but you have to choose which colour pair is also kinda funky.

This thing is the weirdest idea for a land I have ever seen and I don’t get why this is the only non-reprint. They’d have been better having zero new cards possibly.

Nobody will use this land except in Limited. ETB tapped and get one of two colours is pretty marginal (at common you'd expect an extra perk like scry or a sac ability or something, and at rare you'd expect a conditional way for it not to ETB tapped), and there are multiple better cycles in Standard right now.