Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm guessing they'd rather be wordier than more elegant but use idioms, when a lot of people playing aren't native English speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Tom Clancy's “simplest MTG example” is a deck of sixty cards, with four each of ten different cards, plus twenty lands. I think a more common arrangement would be four each of nine different cards plus 24 lands, which would be 60!/(20!*4!9). If I've understood this right. Maybe I didn't. I'm not actually good at math lol.

I'm also assuming all those lands are basics. With 24 basics and 9 playsets of other cards, it would be: 60!/(24!*4!9)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I do take issue with one thing he says in it, though:

What is worth realizing is that adding a 15% chance of drawing artifact hate by t3 vs. an opponent's artifact-ability deck, plus having the versatility in your board to go after graveyard stuff at a 15% draw rate by t3, is better than the option of 28% chance of artifact hate by t3, and no option to go after graveyard stuff.

That's exactly what he meant and it's pretty clear to me. He's spelling out the assumption that Stony SIlence vs. Affinity, Rest in Peace vs. Dredge, and Rule of Law vs. Storm have to be (very nearly) equally good for that math to work, or the difference in draw rates of the first copy would be outweighed by the difference in win rate when drawn.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think if you went back to 2010 with modern MTG knowledge you'd end up with a very different metagame and a lot more time warps.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fadam posted:

You might be right, but like someone earlier in the thread said (TCID?) there’s a good chance that if modern (not the format, but like, how Magic is developed and played now versus ten years ago) MTG play went back in time, Time Warp would have needed a ban.

I don't know that's true, but I do think it would've seen a lot more play than it did. It was really a different time. Fetches + Ponder + Jace TMS + Time Warp were all legal but not played together except by LSV.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Time Warp by itself kinda sucks unless you can really get on top of the extra turn. Otherwise it's explore at 5.

At absolute minimum it's an explore that untaps your mana for 5. With a reasonable game plan it's often going to generate a bunch of mana, provide an extra attack step, and/or give a bunch of once a turn value on top of that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Alrund's didn't see action before MID

Um. It did, though. Quite a lot, in often the best deck in the format.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Uhhh that red dragon doesn't seem all that good. It does some extra damage, dependent on both untapping with it (or having a bunch of extra mana) and satisfying the condition of having non-creature spells to cast afterwards. It does not create any lasting, compounding advantage, unlike Moonveil Regent.

There could be some ramp/mana generation combo kill that it creates, but I don't think it finds an easy home in the dragons, timewalk, or aggro decks.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dias posted:

It could be a finisher for Turns decks but I don't know if they need it.

The creatureless Turns deck is not going to run a 4 drop creature that only does damage.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fadam posted:

What was the last 4CMC+ creature that was playable in Standard that didn’t generate some amount of value ETB/was hard to remove/had haste?

Technically, Moonveil Regent. It does have a death trigger that sometimes does something, though. And like Gargaroth, it's fast compounding advantage.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Now that's a card.

Edit: the Ulvenwald Oddity.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Regular forums user Yawgmoth has passed away. Found out via a post in the Minneapolis thread after he missed D&D one night. I know he was a regular poster in this thread so I figured anyone who knew him has a right to know.

Awful. Thanks for letting us know.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

In my first game of MTG, as a kid in 95 or 96, I killed my dad with some Vampire Bats while we battled back and forth on the ground.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cultivator Colossus is very cool. I could see it being playable, that's a hell of an effect.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Memory Deluge is 2UU and puts the remaining cards at the bottom.
Scattered Thoughts only has one colored pip, doesn’t get worse with cost reducers, and dumps the remainders in the grave.

Unless you routinely get to a point where you’re flashing back Deluge for 7, Scattered Thoughts is the better card.

Most decks that want a 4 mana draw 2 will be flashing back Deluge fairly often. Having a flashback on your draw card is incredibly powerful, because the second time around you're not paying a card for the effect and the first time around the draw card can draw you lands or cards to extend the game to get you there.

Scattered Thoughts could still see a bit of play, due to the easier mana cost and potentially some specific synergies, but Deluge is a much more powerful card. Even for GY decks, which one you want is going to depend on the deck - Scattered Thoughts is an enabler, but Deluge is a mill/discard payoff.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't see any cards that will effect that or even spawn new tier 1 decks.

Here's 5 cards with a chance to do just that:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Along with the lands, we have, in no particular order

Power cards:
Olivia, Cultivator Colossus, Ascendant Packleader, Dig Up, Thalia, Overcharged Amalgam, Voldaren Bloodcaster, WW ajani's pridemate spirit cleric, Ulvenwald Oddity, Abrade

Meta dependent or unsure of if they are power cards:
Sorin, Chandra, Cemetery Prowler, Falkenwrath Forebear, Alchemist's Gambit (if bans), Dread Fugue, Runo Stromkirk, Archghoul of Thraben, Vampire's Vengeance, Dominating Vampire, Inspired Idea

Ascendant Packleader and Thalia are the only cards guaranteed to see a lot of play. Abrade and the pridemate both are pretty likely to.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty bad actually. I don't think it's playable at all. Doesn't protect itself and only good if you have 7 mana PLUS a few lands in hand? That never happens.

It's obviously not generically good, but I could see a deck cheating it into play, comboing with it, and/or being an over 30 land ramp deck. The effect is extremely powerful, even if it's very hard to use on a 7 drop.

quote:

I actually don't like this card..... I mean it's FINE as a 2/1 for 1 but you also play it on T1 and it doesn't trigger till T4? Meh.

Green doesn't have any one drops as aggressive as a savannah lions with some later upside. I agree it's not incredible, but I think that's enough.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It's probably a very good thing that putting one of them into play with a bounceland in hand doesn't let the player draw their whole deck if they want to.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Voltaic Visionary 1R
Creature - Human Wizard
T: Voltaic Visionary deals 2 damage to you. Exile the top card of your library. You can play that card in this turn. Activate only whenever you could cast a sorcery. When you play an exiled card with Voltaic missionary, transform Voltaic visionary.
3/1
//
Voltaic Berserker
Creature - Human Berserker
Voltaic Berserker can't block
4/3

th3t00t posted:

Bloodvial Purveyor seems insane even with the errata. Is there something I'm missing?

It's a 4 mana creature with negative value? It might see some play, if it's got both a good home and lines up well against G and/or R decks in the format, but it looks maybe playable not insane to me.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Crackbone posted:

On that note, would it be too much to ask people to actually link a card image vs. Twitter? It’s just annoying to get redirected to a site where you have to click AGAIN just to see the mana.

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah, probably

It's far more work than for them to take the image, upload it to imgur/whatever, and link that, then it is for you to click twice.

Conversely do what I do and just refresh http://www.mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html every 15 minutes, since sometimes people reposting here miss stuff

I would strongly prefer a thread norm of no spoiler tweets. Rightclick copy image address works for Twitter too.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I'd hesitate to enforce a "no spoiler tweet embeds" rule without a more clear mandate for one

I don't think it needs to be enforced if a norm is set.

LifeLynx posted:

Just post the mana cost along with any tweeted spoilers, it's the easiest solution.

Right click the image in the tweet, select copy image address, and post that. It's trivial.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Optimistic Initiate
W
Creature - Human Warlock
Training
2W, Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
1/2

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Panicked Spectator
1W
Creature - Human Peasant
Whenever Panicked Spectator or another creature you control dies, you gain 1 life.
At the beginning of your end step, if you have gained 3 or more life this turn, transform Panicked Spectator.
2/2
//
Giggling Culprit
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever Giggling Culprit or another creature you control dies, you gain 1 life.
1B: Giggling Culprit gains deathtouch until end of turn.
3/5

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Am I wrong or does template switch between "choose one" and "choose up to one"?

Is there a significant difference there?

Choose one forces a choice, choose up to one means you don't have to choose anything if you don't want to.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the value of a blood token.

It's way worse than a draw, or a loot. It's way worse than a rummage because you have to pay the mana, but you do get to choose to rummage later if you don't have anything you currently want to discard. Rummage is better than a scry 1, though it doesn't stack as well as scry X. Without synergy, maybe the blood token is a bit worse than scry 1, ~1/4th to 1/5th the value of "draw a card"? It's influenced by the spread of value of the cards within a game state, which can be aggregated to the spread of values between cards for a matchup, and aggregated again to a metagame.

Rummage for 1 takes Thrill of Possibility from a bad but probably sometimes playable card (R - instant - draw 1) to a mediocre and played one (1R - instant - ~rummage 1 draw 1). Getting that without having to pay for the cycling is good. Getting it without casting a spell is can be quite bad - you lose cast triggers and most of the ways to copy it for CA. Being a token permanent and artifact is good.

GY synergies have mostly moved from "you want this in your GY" to "it's not so bad to have this in your GY" in current Standard. This means that you're generally getting maybe ~1/2 "draw a card" for discarding the right cards instead of >1 "draw a card". Dead cards in a matchup still give a full card, but there's probably less of them these days.

The meaningful blood token synergies are Bloodtithe Harvester, Voldaren Bloodcaster, and Falkenwrath Forebear. Maaaaaybe Sanguine Statuette.

If you lean into the synergies, maybe you can get a blood token up to ~1/3 to 1/2 a "draw a card" of value?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the value of a blood token.

Hmm but Deliberate is probably worse than Thrill of Possibility, despite being scry 2 which is better than 2x scry 1. Thrill of Possibility is probably more on par with Curate and maybe even better than that?

I'm still confused.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Golgari butts traces all the way back to Doran Rock in Lorwyn

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think the set has improved a lot as spoilers have continued. I don't think it'll be the meta shakeup everyone wants as I doubt any of the pillars of the format are going away without a ban, but I think it's pretty likely there will be a good bit of movement in what's competitive or T1.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I haven't looked at Sealed on Arena in a long time, but last time I did it was bo1 which removes the one good part of Sealed: being able to dramatically change decks during sideboarding, sometimes up to the point where you're playing different colors with a different strategy.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Some interesting commons

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MTGGoldfish has Living End just hitting the top 10 modern meta

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blue-living-end

Goldfish is not a good representation of metagames because they use the 5-0/6-0 results WOTC publishes, which are designed to show artificial diversity.

http://mtgtop8.com/index and https://mtgmeta.io/ are better.

That said, in this case Living End is still around #10 in popularity in tournaments

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

WOTC did a thing with Pioneer where they left the meta dominated by combos for long enough that everyone who wasn't interested in that left, and then banned combos repeatedly so everyone who was interested in that also left. The experiment with letting the format evolve organically but with aggressive bans showed why having a concept of who and what formats are for is valuable.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Honestly I think their experiment was a success and then they stopped running it and it wasn't until then the format got really awful.

The format went to poo poo when they paused with the aggressive bans, but they paused with the aggressive bans because they didn't have a concept of audience or purpose for the format.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

As someone who played a LOT of Anointed Procession, Kaya seems extremely underwhelming to me. Maybe you can do something cool with non-creature tokens, but I don't think I'd ever play her to double creature tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

Flooding out with a suspicious stowaway in your deck is a bummer. I keep looking at that card and wondering if it had constructed implications, it seems... so good to me, on its face

I think it might see some play with VOW, tempo looks like one of the things that potentially got a good bit better.