Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

This extremely dire ad should not be missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

the low opportunity cost (U) is certainly there and having 1 mana interaction for the admittedly narrow "on the draw, vs monogreen curving out with ranger class on 2" is the specific spot where It might win the match on its own that makes it so appealing that I even posted.

sniping showdown and chariot are just bonuses at that point

The opportunity cost isn’t U, it’s “a card”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Part of the reason black is so strong is that the C/U black werewolves are very very good (the 4/3 that shrinks blockers and the 2/3 menace) while the C/U red and green werewolves are kinda derpy (though the green uncommon with Ward is pretty good)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The more I read about the reserved list the more it seems that the problem isn’t legal liability so much as one extremely senior WOTC or Hasbro person who really likes that it exists

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Balduvian Shaman looks bizarre but the actual use case is fairly straightforward: switch the color of your circle of protection to the color opponent is playing. You can’t switch any circle more than once. It’s not a good card by any means, but in the context of kitchen table deck building at that time it’s a card that makes sense.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

I read literally the entire Maro article about the color pie and there were two interesting things I noticed:

Maro said that Greens "put a land card into play" ability is one they don't do much anymore but....they seem to have at least one of these a set and they're often problem cards. (Growth Spiral being a pretty hilarious example)

The other thing is that Maro said a lot of planeswalker interaction (tutoring, reanimating, putting into play) is under White's rubric which I...guess? It doesn't seem super prominent though. Would be an interesting way to really flesh out White's identity though. (They've been doing a lot better with that in recent sets)

I think the big thing he said they’re not doing anymore in green is putting any type of card directly out there, like with Hypergenesis or Eureka. Tutoring lands into play is still fine and so presumably so is putting them from your hand into play.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Guessing that Odric returns as a vampire and he and Olivia get a card together as they are getting married

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Apparently they’ve confirmed that it’s a union of the Markov and Voldaren bloodlines, so maybe it’s not Odric, but the cowards at WOTC will never give us the Olivia/Thalia wedding we deserve.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

alena and halana are gal pals

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

off top of head things that I can’t remember being removed:
-emblems (I don’t think it’s this)
-legendary supertype (it might be this)
-card name, artist, collector number, expansion symbol, flavor text (these are all silver border only)
-certain keyword abilities (there are cards that remove all abilities but I think that’s distinct from cards like the Archetype cycle) (I actually think it’s this)

Like it could be “cards in graveyards lose flashback” or “creatures you control lose Decayed”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Just reupping this classic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Devor posted:

If you make a copy of a spell cast with cleave, is the copy cleaved?

no, copies of objects have the printed characteristics of the object. cleave only removes text if you paid the cleave cost for the spell, which if you copied it, you didn't

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm about 90% certain this is incorrect.

Copying a kicked spell gives you a copy with the kick clause, I don't see why this would be different.

you're right about kicker, so it's possible cleave doesn't work this way. i was thinking about it in terms of layers, where copy effects are upstream of text-changing effects, but that's continuous effects only. so who knows.

e: yeah, you're right. "A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs." i let my l2 lapse years ago, so apparently i've forgotten it all

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gal Pals

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I won’t be satisfied until there’s a uhaul truck in the background and halana’s hair looks like she cut it herself.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

little munchkin posted:

there's lots of non-sexual reasons that a man and a woman could both be pensively staring at the same thing

they're just friends, but the thing they're staring at is a heterosexual wedding

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

RIP.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The theoretical use case for the rare is, in a deck that already generates lots of mana, casting it and wheeling into another one which draws twice as much to keep the chain going. I don’t think that’s a very powerful effect at that cost but I can at least theoretically see the point of it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Arivia posted:

Do you exile them face down or face up? I feel like there's a big difference in value if your opponent knows what you've got so they can play around it.

Exile face up by default

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmao

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That giant butt zombie rules

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmao @ that mythic. every couple sets WOTC prints a mythic that just has the card text “win target limited game”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I actually really love how they’re going all in on the Vampire Wedding thematics this set. Much tighter focus than MID, which was just “nighttime in scarytown.” The bridesmaids kick rear end.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The omen counter card a forgettable blue uncommon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Maro (tied to chair): no! White doesn’t get repeatable card draw! Someone, stop him!
Me (dancing around him like in Reservoir Dogs): and it’s a mono-white… vampire!
Maro: Noooooooooo!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

pioneer didn’t die because of specific ban decisions, it died because it was always a bad idea for a format. the combination of set cutoff and banning fetches meant that it explicitly excluded most of the cool things people like to do in eternal formats and it didn’t actually create an affordable format because magic cards keep getting less affordable every day.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Pioneer was getting extremely big where I was at, but then COVID happened.

ah poo poo I guess I’m wrong about pioneer being dead while other non rotating formats you can’t play on arena thrive

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

You don't think it possibly has anything to do with, I dunno, those other formats having a chance to exist for more than mere months before a world pandemic obliterated it?

People had to time to be invested in those other formats before the world came to a halt, and the only thing Wizards has done since the pandemic to even mention the format's existence was to create pre-cons for it.
It's not rocket science to see why a format, good or bad, would die under these circumstance. Modern would have gone the exact same way if it had to live through Covid right after its inception.

You didn't like it, because it didn't fetches, but looots of people did for that very reason. Sorry you can't fondle your deck 10 times a game.

sorry your format died :(

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

people who truly hate fetches (weirdos) go to astonishing lengths to make every pioneer discussion a referendum on fetches. it’s very sad actually; they were emotionally invested in pioneer succeeding as a way to “prove” fun nonrotating formats don’t need fetches.

my own personal favorite format is draft, notably fetch free. but when pioneer was launched I said that it would die and pointed to the lack of fetches as one (but only one!) reason why. the fetches are a subset of the larger problem with pioneer, which is that by its timing (and yes, its preban of fetches) it cut itself off from one of the chief draws of eternal formats: playing all-star powerful cards from different eras.

the pioneer era is, by and large, the era of generic value. generic midrange value creatures. generic efficient aggro beaters. generic grindy control finishers. more specifically, it’s from the era of magic when threats were so much more powerful than answers that good standard decks just look like a pile of efficient threats and value generators. by cutting off access to cards like delver, vial and snapcaster, which let you play under the big haymakers, or chalice and blood moon, which let you lock them out, pioneer committed to the proactive decks only gameplan. of course, in such a format, the one truly powerful cross-block synergy you can build is a combo deck, and without an efficient way to lock combo out or disrupt it, of course combo ruled.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

The Goatse Secret Lair would have an excellent Sol Ring, and I like the it's for a good cause. It's about time hemorrhoid's issues got the attention it deserves.

Sol Ring
Mudhole
Blood Moon
Doomgape

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

historic is probably the best format at the moment and wotc putting a bullet in its head is unforgivable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

I would say standard has been some degree of bad since khans rotated, and hasn't really been GOOD good since like Ravnica 1 through Innistrad/RTR

yeah this is correct. I hated THS standard as it was dominated by two incredibly linear mono color decks and Stan Cifka’s Elixir of Immortality win con deck. Khans made standard very briefly fun until everyone figured out siege rhino was the best thing you could be doing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

To be clear, RTR/THS standard was better than any standard since WAR. It was just much worse than historic, modern, legacy, draft, judge stack etc. is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

foreverially alchemized and loving it