Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sealed is all the disappointment of cracking packs with all the frustration of tournaments play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

Nothing good came in my two pre-release packs anyone else notice that the spin down die have the same red color pattern as previous packs? Was sort of hoping for like a Halloween orange this time around.

Or is it just the Fat Pack boxes that have a uniquely colored spin down?

Are the 20's not symbols any more?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goferchan posted:

I don't think anyone's come straight out and said Crimson Vow won't have double faced/transform cards but I also don't really get the impression it will. I hope daybound/nightbound sticks around though; it's got some legs on it.

Wouldn't daybound necessitate DFC transform cards? I'm under the idea that a daybound card is required to have a night side.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sit on my Facebook posted:

I genuinely don't understand what people itt find so objectionable about the day/night template.

It's wordy and I think you could have come up with singular game words for the actions of turning day into night and night into day and made cleaner cards.
Also they were (for maybe good reason I don't know I haven't played with them yet) very conservative with the non-transforming day/night cards that only turn it into day if it's neither night/day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's because everything that starts the process starts it in day (because Night is when all the Werewolves are extra strong and under-costed so if you could trivially make it night the person with the werewolves just gets to play one over-statted card a turn instead of taking the tempo loss to do so).

Turning Day into Night needs a cost because all the Werewolves Night Forms are (as usual) big under-costed monsters. Plus it makes the mechanic a bit simpler to understand when it starts, because it's day and the only way to turn day into night is the no cards cast, or very specific cards. Plus those cards like seeing it switch, so if you could do it by say. Casting it's day it's night it's day in a row you'd get a lot stronger synergy instead of at least needing to naturally perform the 2-spells no spells thing for effects like discard 2 draw 2 (for no mana), draw a card and heal 1 (for no mana), deal 1 damage (for no cost) so on and so forth.

I don't think you understood what I said. I'm saying the Celestus only makes it day if it is not night or day, what real difference does it make if the Celestus always made it day on ETB? Sure it makes the werewolves a little weaker, but ... ok?
Like I said, I haven't tried the cards yet so maybe it is a huge deal that 10 cards in a set of 277 are a little better.

Lone Goat posted:

So you make these supposed "singular words", then have to put reminder text on everything so that they're all longer and wordier anyway. I don't think this solves any problems here.
I think if you say "When X comes into play, daybreaks/nightfalls" you don't need any reminder text. The Celestus has no reminder text.
Currently

quote:

If it's neither day nor night, it becomes day as The Celestus enters the battlefield.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.
{3}, {T}: If it's night, it becomes day. Otherwise, it becomes night. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever day becomes night or night becomes day, you gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
But I think you could do:

quote:

As The Celestus enters the battlefield, daybreaks.
{T}: Add one mana of any color.
{3}, {T}: If it's night, daybreaks. Otherwise, nightfalls. Activate only as a sorcery.
Whenever daybreaks or nightfalls, you gain 1 life. You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah making two new words to save like 9 characters seems like a horrendous idea.
58 on the Celestus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

On keywords, I'm kind of surprised they never keyworded "When ~ enters the battlefield".
"Comes into play"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok but when the star craft crossover happens at could have lines where we say "Carrier has arrived, trigger"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Darkoni posted:

They kind of have that for death triggers. Isn't 'death' just 'a creature is destroyed and is moved to the graveyard'? It more or less works because of people's understanding of the relationship between living things, death, and graveyards. But despite the mechanics of the game working the same way other permanents can't die. Artifacts and enchantments aren't living things and planeswalkers just gtfo. So it's easy to understand what dies means in the context of the rules, I think.

I think why they don't keyword ETB is that there is a benefit to bluntly state the rules and context for such a common and simple trigger. Does etb go back to alpha? If it does it's probably a hold over from that. They also recently keyworded mill so it could be just a matter of time too.
"Dies", yes is just rules shorthand for "when this is put into the graveyard from the battlefield" which is a little longer than ETB (three words)
But also only happened mostly because Innistrad the first was going to introduce Morbid, and as an ability word Morbid has to explain itself every time
ETB comes from m10 When they made a significant change and renamed "in play" to "the battlefield". Before that the term was "comes into play"

E:yes, it was m10

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 22, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

say no to scurvy posted:

They still use "play" as a verb to mean put a land card onto the battlefield or cast a spell, eg

Yup, play is used for both:

quote:

701.14b To play a card means to play that card as a land or to cast that card as a spell, whichever is appropriate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

want to flex at your LGS's Innistrad draft? Well why don't you buy the original paintings for the Day/Night token?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtgartmarket/posts/3142692999294231/

Get an easel and switch the art everytime the Day/Night cycle switches. Now you'll be able to tell when it is Day or Night!

($3K+ per side)

edit: someone just bid $6K for each.

They strike me as being a little unwieldy as game pieces.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

teppichporsche posted:

Really? That’s not how cards get shipped in Europe. Here most sellers use old booster packs and use commons to shield the sold cards. Then the whole package is wrapped in bubble wrap.

Usually I get a toploader but the pandemic hasdriven up the price of them.
TCG player actually has some custom things for cards I've noticed. Like a piece of envelope sized cardboard, with a fitted sleeve over it and the cards grouped and in penny-slips affixed via double sided tape/gel

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

I need to do some checks, but aren't a lot of them doing that?

Some are. I know NRG (the big Chicago tournament people since SCG only came to Milwaukee) has mandated for their next 3 large inperson events: 100% masks, and Either proof of vaccination or a negative covid test less than 72 hours old.
They're doing Modern in October and I'm hyped.
And a team event in November and I'm double Hyped because I managed to get a team together. (Legacy, Modern, Limited) Our Limited player has only played on Arena so I'm expecting a lot of fun when we have to explain the nuance of timing and priority in tournament paper magic.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leperflesh posted:

What, historically, has been the strategic approach to counter or deal with or beat blue decks that just counter everything you do, draw shitloads of cards, and eventually win by not letting you play?

Counter spell costs 2 and a 2/1 costs 1.
Some creatures can come back from the GY.
Leyline of Lifeforce if you're desperate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I want to win with Oracle but not a combo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

What do people feel about the soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored? Think only the double strike one saw some constructed play, it's hard to think of it outside a bad format. Just seems like it's a mechanic previously seen on Innisrad that could work with the wedding theme of Crimson Vow. Maybe a different implementation beyond both bonded cards getting a keyword for the most part.

Wolfir Silverheart saw play too.
Deadeye I know is/was a staple of EDH.

It fits the marriage theme, but only if you believe in monogamy, and in innistrad sexy vampires have harems.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

A given creature could be bonded more than once, you can form a polycule!

Yeah, if one of them runs off or dies.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gramps posted:

Once it transforms there's no longer a creature called bereaved survivor in play. It's dauntless avenger so if there were two triggers on the stack the second trigger would do nothing

That's not accurate, unless it says "a card named" then the card name in the ability just means itself.
Think of it this way: if she died herself before transforming while the trigger was on the stack, and you flashed in another copy, it wouldn't resolve and transform.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 25, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?

Any belcher variant should work. By which I mean any deck that wins on t1 and only loses when you ask your opponent if they have a force of will
Or just build legacy deliver but with mox and lotus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

How does delver work?
Rragavan, Delver, a thousand cantrips, and wasteland stifle daze to prevent them from getting any counterplay online

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

Oh right. So what exactly are the Misty Rainforest and Polluted Delta for then?
Over time it's been proven that fetches +brainstorm is basically the most powerful thing a deck can do.
In vintage you only get one copy of ancestral, but the card selection of 4 ponder 4 brainstorm + fetch means you'll always have exactly what you need when you need it and always just enough lands.
A few pages back in the old thread that's how P Sully chided historic for having brainstorm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cactrot posted:

You only get one brainstorm and one ponder in vintage, they're restricted too.
That's good, and also lol that vintage has more sense than legacy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Spin top. Fetch. Spin top.
And if you respond to any of that: spin top again.
Also you can't destroy it because: response, tap top hold priority spin top.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kjermzs posted:

Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.
Because tribal payoffs are so varied there's going to be no singular search for this. Unless you search for every creature type at once. Which I supposev you could do by looking up the rule that defines all the legal creature types, paste them into your favorite text editor, and then doing a find/replace for ", " with " o:" which will look for any card that references a specific a specific creature type.
Then OR that condition with the phrase "choose a creature type" and that should cover just about everything

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tulul posted:

As others have said, there's not really a good way to do this. The easiest way is to just take a line (Scryfall has a character limit on its search, so you need to break it up) from the following (every creature type that's mentioned in oracle text) and paste it into a set of parentheses, then add "year>2017 not:reprint" without the quotation marks. You can try looking for phrases common to tribal cards to narrow it down, like o:"you control" or o:"you cast" or what not, but that will miss certain things.

code:
o:"Advisor" or o:"Aetherborn" or o:"Ally" or o:"Angel" or o:"Antelope" or o:"Ape" or o:"Archer" or o:"Archon" or o:"Army" or o:"Artificer" or o:"Assassin" or o:"Assembly-Worker" or o:"Atog" or o:"Aurochs" or o:"Avatar" or o:"Azra" or o:"Badger" or o:"Barbarian" or o:"Bard" or o:"Basilisk" or o:"Bat" or o:"Bear" or o:"Beast" or o:"Beeble" or o:"Beholder" or o:"Berserker" or o:"Bird" or o:"Blinkmoth" or o:"Boar" or o:"Bringer" or o:"Brushwagg" or o:"Camarid" or o:"Camel" or o:"Caribou" or o:"Carrier" or o:"Cat" or o:"Centaur" or o:"Cephalid" or o:"Chimera" or o:"Citizen" or o:"Cleric" or o:"Cockatrice" or o:"Construct" or o:"Coward" or o:"Crab" or o:"Crocodile" or o:"Cyclops" 

o:"Dauthi" or o:"Demigod" or o:"Demon" or o:"Deserter" or o:"Devil" or o:"Dinosaur" or o:"Djinn" or o:"Dog" or o:"Dragon" or o:"Drake" or o:"Dreadnought" or o:"Drone" or o:"Druid" or o:"Dryad" or o:"Dwarf" or o:"Efreet" or o:"Egg" or o:"Elder" or o:"Eldrazi" or o:"Elemental" or o:"Elephant" or o:"Elf" or o:"Elk" or o:"Eye" or o:"Faerie" or o:"Ferret" or o:"Fish" or o:"Flagbearer" or o:"Fox" or o:"Fractal" or o:"Frog" or o:"Fungus" or o:"Gargoyle" or o:"Germ" or o:"Giant" or o:"Gnoll" or o:"Gnome" or o:"Goat" or o:"Goblin" or o:"God" or o:"Golem" or o:"Gorgon" or o:"Graveborn" or o:"Gremlin" or o:"Griffin" or o:"Hag" or o:"Halfling" or o:"Hamster" or o:"Harpy" or o:"Hellion" or o:"Hippo" or o:"Hippogriff" or o:"Homarid" or o:"Homunculus" or o:"Horror" or o:"Horse" or o:"Human" or o:"Hydra" or o:"Hyena" or o:"Illusion" or o:"Imp" or o:"Incarnation" or o:"Inkling" or o:"Insect" or o:"Jackal" or o:"Jellyfish" or o:"Juggernaut" 

o:"Kavu" or o:"Kirin" or o:"Kithkin" or o:"Knight" or o:"Kobold" or o:"Kor" or o:"Kraken" or o:"Lamia" or o:"Lammasu" or o:"Leech" or o:"Leviathan" or o:"Lhurgoyf" or o:"Licid" or o:"Lizard" or o:"Manticore" or o:"Masticore" or o:"Mercenary" or o:"Merfolk" or o:"Metathran" or o:"Minion" or o:"Minotaur" or o:"Mole" or o:"Monger" or o:"Mongoose" or o:"Monk" or o:"Monkey" or o:"Moonfolk" or o:"Mouse" or o:"Mutant" or o:"Myr" or o:"Mystic"or o:"Naga" or o:"Nautilus" or o:"Nephilim" or o:"Nightmare" or o:"Nightstalker" or o:"Ninja" or o:"Noble" or o:"Noggle" or o:"Nomad" or o:"Nymph" or o:"Octopus" or o:"Ogre" or o:"Ooze" or o:"Orb" or o:"Orc" or o:"Orgg" or o:"Otter" or o:"Ouphe" or o:"Ox" or o:"Oyster" 

o:"Pangolin" or o:"Peasant" or o:"Pegasus" or o:"Pentavite" or o:"Pest" or o:"Phelddagrif" or o:"Phoenix" or o:"Phyrexian" or o:"Pilot" or o:"Pincher" or o:"Pirate" or o:"Plant" or o:"Praetor" or o:"Prism" or o:"Processor" or o:"Rabbit" or o:"Ranger" or o:"Rat" or o:"Rebel" or o:"Reflection" or o:"Rhino" or o:"Rigger" or o:"Rogue" or o:"Sable" or o:"Salamander" or o:"Samurai" or o:"Sand" or o:"Saproling" or o:"Satyr" or o:"Scarecrow" or o:"Scion" or o:"Scorpion" or o:"Scout" or o:"Sculpture" or o:"Serf" or o:"Serpent" or o:"Servo" or o:"Shade" or o:"Shaman" or o:"Shapeshifter" or o:"Shark" or o:"Sheep" 

o:"Siren" or o:"Skeleton" or o:"Slith" or o:"Sliver" or o:"Slug" or o:"Snake" or o:"Soldier" or o:"Soltari" or o:"Spawn" or o:"Specter" or o:"Spellshaper" or o:"Sphinx" or o:"Spider" or o:"Spike" or o:"Spirit" or o:"Splinter" or o:"Sponge" or o:"Squid" or o:"Squirrel" or o:"Starfish" or o:"Surrakar" or o:"Survivor" or o:"Tentacle" or o:"Tetravite" or o:"Thalakos" or o:"Thopter" or o:"Thrull" or o:"Tiefling" or o:"Treefolk" or o:"Trilobite" or o:"Triskelavite" or o:"Troll" or o:"Turtle" or o:"Unicorn" or o:"Vampire" or o:"Vedalken" or o:"Viashino" or o:"Volver" or o:"Wall" or o:"Warlock" or o:"Warrior" or o:"Weird" or o:"Werewolf" or o:"Whale" or o:"Wizard" or o:"Wolf" or o:"Wolverine" or o:"Wombat" or o:"Worm" or o:"Wraith" or o:"Wurm" or o:"Yeti" or o:"Zombie" or o:"Zubera
e: Actually wait, crap, I forgot Scryfall doesn't match case by default. You're going to need to dig into regex or searching for "Ally" will get every card with "perpetually" and similar.

Does " ally " preserve the whitespace?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thetoughestbean posted:

So what are the odds “Director of Game Design” just means he consulted on AFR vs it meaning he actually helps make MtG cards in general?

For the folks not in the know, Mearls has some serious baggage better asked about in the general industry thread.

I assume it's like VP where you have a room full of directors and the all compare their playtest cards and he's the one with the tasteful Bone Shards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The World Inferno posted:

If they want to reprint reserved list cards they can just add an extra line of text to any of those cards. It's a bummer for those who want to play Vintage, but it's not like there's actual creative blockers from them reprinting em'. They could, tomorrow, print:

or

But the spirit of the reserved list!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they start printing Reserve List cards (or functional reprints with slight tweaks) that opens to the door to the conversation of why can't WOTC just reprint enough of every expensive card to bring costs down and make the game more accessible to new players, or even just shift to direct sales and custom ordering through whatever subsidiary or partner.

I think that happens eventually, but they're not there yet. Including Tropical Island as a conjure effect in the digital only cards feels like a pretty significant trial balloon though.

Eh, they've had plenty of reserved list cards reprinted plenty on mtgo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Who remembers that old post where someone got their misty rainforest ripped in half by someone claiming they knew what they were doing?

Ah, the infamous bend test.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So quick poll, who is feeling brave safe enough to go to the Vegas gp in November?

I'd really like to go, but I am doubtful I will. Then again, I will have attended plenty of Kraken games by then...

I'm going to try and stomarch FNM at a place with a mask mandate and move from there.

My local place told me "we're leaving it up to our players" why holding 30+ person events in their tiny space.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good way to get up to date on Modern? I'm thinking of going to the Vegas GP (or whatever it's called now) and whilst I might do the Crimson Vow sealed (sealed's not the best but I'd be playing the set a week early) I think I'm going to at least try the Modern event. Is Griefblade a Thing? I got some of the MH2 cards but I'd need to get Stoneforges. I can also do Vampires which might not be top tier but I have affinity for the tribe and enjoy it, plus it can sometimes just be so explosive as to be unbeatable.

I should probably hop back to MTGO (I've played Arena pretty exclusively over the pandemic) and rent decks for leagues but I'd then need to source the cards in paper PDQ.

To get up to date I would watch some streamers. During the day (american time) Aspiring Spike exclusively plays modern and he's pretty good at it. He's a brewer, and because he's got 1500 viewers the MTGO meta tends to follow him. He streams from 9-2 CST. Then I would find another streamer streaming modern and watch them a bit in the evening. You could also just go to twitch and search for the deck you plan to play and watch someone else playing it and see what they encountered.
Griefblade is commonly called "Sewer", which refers to all these BW grief/efemerate archetypes. I think right now they're on a persist/reanimator package along with the SFM. They're OK.
Since you're playing a paper event I would recommend finding a paper venue. MTGO handles a lot of the nuance and timing (like setting stops) that you can only remember in paper by playing paper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As noted it doesn't apply, but I would be more concerned about the art of the older cards. If I recall WotC had some lovely deals with art for older stuf like the Black Lotus and such?

Yes, and this is why m25 didn't use any classic art for some of the ancient reprints because they'd still have to pay the artists. Their original art deals are like by-the-card in perpetuity. They were really favorable to the artists and that's why they tried hard to change them all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PlasticAutomaton posted:

... ...okay yeah Gatecrash is probably the worst set I've drafted since Avacyn Restored.
:thunk:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aranan posted:

Bring back Final Fortune.

They did. It's white now too

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just noticed that Crimson Vow's release date is November 19th, which is the date the big Vegas modern event starts, does that mean it will be modern legal if you can somehow get the cards for it that morning. I might be overthinking, but one if my options is vampire tribal who should get goodies
Yes but the set releases on a Friday and the tournament I assume is the weekend.
It's CFB right? Preorder through them and pick up at the event? I know scg let you do it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well, if they're copying tcg player then they'll also have their own warehouse like tcgplayer direct.
I think the answer is going to be that they won't be legal. Like the old days, where you had to wait until next fnm

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wizards have got a lot better at templating over the years too. Remember the jank of early cards?

These are actually pretty straight forward, where's Chains of Mephestophois? Sylvan Library? Illusionary Mask?
(Illusionary mask kicks rear end and if you have mtgo it and dreadnought are both like a cent)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I conflated bad templating and "oddly specific and verbose rules text"

Illusionary Mask is a great one, I should have put that instead. Did the face-down creature's static abilities somehow secretly apply back in 1993?
That's exactly what happened. And you'd have no way of knowing if they were right until you attacked, tapped, dealed or recieved damage.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

reading the original version for illusionary mask.. when you're ready to flip it over you can just remove the counters? is that it? why even have counters on the mask? was it a reminder to show how much mana was used to cast it so when it flips over the player can't say he put down X mana when the creature cost X+5 mana?

nobody at my school had these early weird magic cards.. they played like djinn and shivan dragons and what not but never any of the cards that required parsing text.. i think the most complicated one someone owned was like sengir vampire.

That's not how Mask works.

Mask lets you cast creatures facedown for their amount + anything. So you can cast Phyrexian Dreadnought for 1, 1U or 100UUUUBBBBRRRR Mana. What you'll get is a 2/2 face down spell with no name.
Then, that creature has a replacement effect that any time it would deal or receive damage, or become tapped you instead turn it face up and have it deal, recieve, or tap.
The trick is mainly to cast creatures with bad ETB or Entry replacement effects skip those. That Phyrexian Dreadnought I mentioned before? Well now it attacks as a 2/2 to get under your ensnaring bridge, and the turns face-up and oh my god it was a 12/12 the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dehtraen posted:

For the latest set full art lands - where the art is black and white and there is a colored border… about half of the basics I have have this colored border as matte, the other half is shiny… are there two versions or is it just inconsistent printing?

That's the spotglosss treatment and the regular. It's intentional