Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32357&d=448854&f=VI

Bazaar aggro has your back, with a creature base worth $100 backed by a manabase worth $40000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

My favourite part about anti-Reserved List chat is that, of all the reasons to revoke it, they rally behind a card that would end up being a C- at best in most draft formats.

I want to revoke it because I want to stick a Black Lotus up my rear end, how's that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

I can’t link them, but if people here are really champing at the bit to play eternal formats but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars there are all sorts of places you can get paper playable proxies that will pass any inspection done short of busting out a loupe and getting sweaty about it.

My buddy ordered some of those for Commander. They look great and side by side they were almost indistinguishable, but I could almost cut to them consistently in an unsleeved set of cards and I think that could be a problem from a gameplay PoV.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

That's because "the Internet" doesn't like to take responsibility for their actions.

Making counterfeit cards (cards designed to be easily mistaken for real cards by laymen) is a lovely thing to do.

You got beef with WotC? Cool. Don't play in their tournaments. Hell, don't buy their cards. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

But when you buy or create counterfeit cards, which we've seen time and again work themselves into the ecosystem and be pawned off.on unsuspecting customers, you're just being a shithead. You aren't Robin Hood, sticking it to the man. You don't have some moral high ground. You're just doing harm to all the other people involved: the artists, the printers, the game stores, and fellow players.

WotC will move plenty of 80 dollar monkes without me, Toshimo

They do not need my cash

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

There's no reason your playtest cards should have authentic looking card backs. Functionally indistinguishable counterfeits are objectively bad because every one comes with a percent chance that some schlub is gonna get ripped off by them. If you're just cubing or whatever then your cards don't need authentic looking backs.

What if someone wants to play monkeys without spending 320 on monkeys?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All these fine, upstanding moral paragons mail me their Monkeys, please and thank you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Artifact hate is pretty easy to sideboard for Chariot, but I'm not sure what the good counters are for Goldspan (instant-speed creature removal is easy in B and available in R...) and particularly Alrund's (just counterspell effects?)

But this does seem to me like the same issue you have in any given release where there's two or three really good cards you have to account for in your deck. Am I missing something that makes these three especially hard?

Answering Chariot still leaves the opponent with 4 points worth of power on the board and Goldspan Dragon very nearly refunds itself if killed with targetted removal.

Only one color can interact reasonably with Alrund's and coincidentally it's the colour that runs Alrund's

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Esika's Chariot is functionally very close to a 4 mana Grave Titan and that's very nutty in Standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Incidentally, ability counters haven't been seen since Ikoria. I guess it didn't work out.

Three other creatures use non-+1/+1counters in MID, one counts them to transforming, one uses them after transforming, and the third is Sludge Monster.

They printed a commander in Ikoria that was all about ability counters and it's just such a pain in the rear end to use and track.

The thing makes 10 counters on average every time it comes in, it's ridiculous.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can’t believe how shamelessly WotC ripped off Yugioh by printing a bird card that makes the opponent never draw a card again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Isn't this dude a shithead and a sexpest?

Post literally any evidence to back this or shut the gently caress up, dude

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I saw 144 new posts and got excited they banned Epiphany

.....gently caress

Give it a week

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Why would they ban it in a week if they just decided not to do it until Crimson Vow?

IDK, why did they say they were going to wait and see on cat combo and then ban it 3 days later?

The rest is an exercise for you, dear reader

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want cards that read like Yugioh cards

Port Relinquished into Magic and let's work from there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have absolutely no idea how Yu-Gi-Oh works. Would watching the anime help

Yugioh is playing Storm such that you end up with creatures that have 8 separate copies of Force of Will on the board bolted to them at the end of your turn and saying "your go".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I was like 13 when I realized the heart of the cards was Yu Gi just stacking his deck like the kids who thought they were being sligh while cheating at the lunch tables playing magic.

Joey is the only duelist who legitimately plays on a level playing field, Yugi has literal puzzle magic to draw what he needs and Kaiba bullies people with his money.

Marik coasts on a chicken while torturing people for kicks, the game is whack

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Unironically Relinquished is really easy to do as a Magic card. Pay a cost, exile target creature, Relinquished has the types, effects, power and toughness of all creatures exiled by its own effect. Place one creature exiled by Relinquished in its owner's graveyard, Relinquished becomes indestructible this turn.

Make it a Colorless or White/Black Angel horror.

Most Yugioh cards actually do translate well to Magic cards because Magic has things like simplified wording and keywords.

This ridiculous monstrosity could get pared down to 5-6 lines easily.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shoutout to the protagonist whose ace card actually got banned out of the game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

That guy from GX or someone else?

Jaden's ace card was Pot of Greed so this is technically true

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

dinosaurs predate the middle ages and so do pirates do I dunno what ya on

Bullshit, Charlemagne founded the Holy Roman Empire off the back of his Ankylosaurus regiment

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pairing the green white one with the Grixis commander gives you all 5 colors so I'd expect to see that pair show up a ton now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

I was thinking of the Cyber Dragon dude.

His ace was also Pot of Greed

E: His real, real ace was Future Fusion which actually did get banned so this is accurate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Koirhor posted:

I’d rather they rotate every set knock the oldest one out when a new one is released

I think you’re only saying that because you never experienced the short while where they actually tried that (it sucked)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

are the chalices even an important part of fish in modern? what are you chalicing on 1 for, opt??

You're chalicing on 0 to not die to Rhinos or chalicing on 1 to not die to something else

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Not to re-open that discussion, but if Chalice is both necessary and expensive, perhaps you can ask the locals if they are OK with proxied cards. Not counterfeit, of course: clear, unambiguously proxied. Reportedly, many folks are fine with it!

You are literally opening that discussion back up because proxies are not allowed in DCI/WPN-sanctioned events.

If you're playing kitchen table Magic, mark that swamp up with a sharpie saying it's a Black Lotus, Wizards doesn't care, but the only way to play cheaper Chalices in any kind of event like a sanctioned FNM at the moment is to not tell anyone you're playing cheaper Chalices.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

I loathe Esper Sentinel

Do you pay the 1? should not be a question asked regularly in competitive Magic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SomethingAwful invitational card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I guess. But blood doesn’t give you board or card advantage

Tokens are card advantage if you have another way to utilize them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That 4/4 flier seems funny in Spirits

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Part of me is reasonably sure that we're gonna see at least one Blood generator get broken in modern as part of a Dredge deck.

Not as long as it costs mana to do so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This could've been a Castlevania set and I'm just so sad it's not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

So do the people that Don't Get the rare not realise that you draw a card for every card you've discarded this turn, including ones from before casting it?

Like, even if there isn't a specific case for it right now, that's a really powerful effect that I think is unique?

It costs so much mana that any combo for it is wildly impractical and you might as well compare them apples to apples because that's the only context you're ever going to be casting them in outside of the funny formats.

It's very cool, but it should've cost 3 if they wanted it to do the thing it's built for

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Change of Fortune is insane in Commander wheel decks. You'll end up drawing like 14+ cards minimum. That's where I think it finds its place.

Yeah, the funny format

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jiro posted:

So........like lore wise..........is Innistrad just a flat world/discworld planet? If the sun isn't rising on one half of it, the other half has to be straight up burning to a crisp no?

It's this OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374xW4zZbZA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_NntYhzV4

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Eidolon tugging at it's collar as this guy shows up in burn. (Eidolon is probably better, maybe in pioneer you play both)

That guy punishes fetchlands real hard while not burning you in return, it seems pretty close

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Standard decks are also a lot clunkier than modern or historic decks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing 80 cards to get a free, extra, guaranteed powerful card in your hand is uber powerful, as it turns out, particularly when the rest of your cards are mostly redundant interchangeable valuemen

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So, normally I dont have issues with Sealed, but this time I ended up playing U/R aggro..ish? and it went 2-2 out which was okay but not great. Should i have been playing green? I think Oddity is top tier, and Colossus/Cadet/Hunter are all pretty good. Or does anyone have a U/R list to share, since maybe I'm playing bad cards.

http://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_VOW&pool_id=k22x6XWQJ

I feel confident saying you should've been playing UG with the 5 good to great fliers or G/R.

This is how I'd build, at a glance

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
T, sacrifice a Scissors: destroy target card owned by your opponent.