Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I shrug off the RL as a lost cause at this point, it still amuses me that gold bordered cards are affected by it when they're not legal in any format (even commander). They're literally WotC-sanctioned proxies that they could and would still make money off of without affecting any competitive metagame (or collector value, for the hand-wringing RL defenders) but still allowing casual and kitchen table players to have "official" copies, if having self-made proxies isn't kosher with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

If the reserve list didn't exist, I'm not totally convinced that Wizards wouldn't find a way to create it even now.

They have. Kind of. Secret Lair cards are a big "get 'em before they're gone" thing and while they're all reprints of existing cards (barring the TWD ones), they're still specially made cards that will never be made in that form again, and have some value for that reason.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

So, what's the logic for making a spell have two mana pips rather than one? Is a monster that's 1gg more often more powerful than a monster that's 2g? Or is there something else that determines extra pips in a mana cost?

A more restrictive mana cost would imply a more powerful card, yes. Something that costs 1GG is significantly more difficult to cast on curve if you're running a multicolor deck, rather than one that costs 2G.

Gigantosaurus comes to mind. A 10/10 for 5 mana sounds absolutely absurd, but it's actual cost is GGGGG, which wouldn't be reasonable to put in anything but a monogreen deck.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 3, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I have no real idea how the game works, I was only able to pick up enough to realise that the main character was playing a very bad deck and only won by fluke

he literally gets possessed by a magical cheater lol

Also Eleven looks busted as hell, I want her

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Oh drat, you get 2 hoofs for less than the cost of 1 in here. I was already interested in getting this one for the charity but that's a cool bonus.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
A double sleeved deck with dragon shield sealable inners fits almost perfectly in my satin tower with space for a couple tokens (though it's worth noting this is for edh, so 75 cards + tokens should be more than fine). There's just the teeniest bit of rattle when I shake it lol

I swear by the sealable inners though. Once they're sleeved they're easy to swap around.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The art for this set is great so far. Really want Thalia in that art (though it's a little disappointing that she doesn't get a new card-- but the OG is great either way) and those Dracula cards look really cool.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Can you cast Croaked spells from Exile if the frog is back in your command zone or dead?

Pretty sure the frog must be on the battlefield for the croak counters to have any use.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Final Fortune sees some play in CEDH, but has that kind of effect been playable anywhere else? We've seen a few extra turn, lose after spells in Standard over the years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually cast them.

Final Fortune sees some play in cEDH as a 2 mana instant speed extra turn. Last Chance sometimes gets played too but it's way worse because sorcery speed. This is unplayably bad imo, because if you just want a quick extra turn, you'd play Final Fortune (which can also be grabbed with Spellseeker in 1-card Spellseeker lines), but in an Izzet deck you'd probably just play the regular 5-mana warps.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hey hey hey those could both be dudes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I literally had no idea that card existed and they made the monkeys fuckin a canon thing holy hell

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

There's been some fun looking EDH cards but really nothing I'm slamming for constructed play.

the frog is a great hermit druid card for edh and the slug is absolutely disgusting with kormus bell and urborg

it's exciting

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Did we miss Odric or did he die?

Hero's Downfall implies he got vamp'd.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

So do the people that Don't Get the rare not realise that you draw a card for every card you've discarded this turn, including ones from before casting it?

Like, even if there isn't a specific case for it right now, that's a really powerful effect that I think is unique?

It's ridiculously good in formats where you have the opportunity to wheel multiple times in a turn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

https://twitter.com/Oritart/status/1455592078050684930

Useless fun fact of the day: you can Needle Blood tokens

You can technically needle any valid card name.

Whether or not that actually does anything, though...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mike N Eich posted:

Wash Away applies to everything cast on “impulse” effects too right? I imagine it’s gonna have a lot of applicability

Yeah, those cards are exiled and you cast them from exile.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I went through my box of commons/uncommons last night and I'm surprised how much some of these go for. Found a bunch of Cabal Rituals which go for like $5-6 for some reason, 3 Priest of Titanias and a Carpet of Flowers which is somehow a $20 card :popeye:

Carpet of Flowers is an A+ edh card and pretty much an auto-include in higher level pods because you're almost certain to see blue somewhere in there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Now that I've played modern and feel more confident I'm going to finish the Merfolk deck and none of you can stop me!!!!

At the end of the day, it's more fun to play what you like than to play the top decks just to win. More power to you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You don't need to have a super spectacular deck to do well in FNMs anyway. I had built a few more fairly expensive decks back when I played modern (Soul Sisters, WB Death & Taxes, UW Spirits), but I almost always performed better with https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel. I went 3-1 most of the time and only ever really crumpled to Grixis Control decks. (This was around 2016, before Grixis Death's Shadow took off big time.)

With as inexpensive as Burn is to play now, I'm half tempted to try it myself, but I keep reminding myself that I just don't care much for how repetitive playing 60 card constructed feels to me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Finally giving Arena another try. I don't really care to play Historic anymore ever since the persistent effect thing happened, but if it's really that easy to keep consistent standard decks going with f2p, I may as well bite the bullet and learn to play limited even though it's the format I hate most.

Anymore I just wanna throw cards around without feeling gross going to the LGS where masks don't matter anymore.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Seems the secret lair bonus for the phyrexian text praetors is a phyrexian text swamp, the jumpstart one, in foil. neat!

are all secret lairs each going to have a specific bonus they come with that's unlisted now? or are they going to do the random poo poo inclusions they did before like the stained glass planeswalkers, I bought the heavy metal tour poster set and it came with a foil stained glass angron

Yeah, mine had the swamp. I think they've been doing that for a while. My Seb McKinnon one had a second full art Swamp with slightly different art.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There are some solid reprints in the commander deck. The deck itself though, ehhhh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Where is that MSCHF secret lair at? I really wanted that one and I've seen a few people on TikTok opening it. Was it just a really limited release to certain people or something? :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Weird that it's not dropping with the rest of the things. Ah well.

Nov 20 is Saturday, though...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I still maintain the secret lair commander deck is not only good value monetarily (and as far as monetary value in reprints for precons go, no less, as supposedly 50 cards in this will be foil and hopefully some of those are desirable cards), but it's really not that far removed from Krark/Sakashima and Okaun/Zndrsplt cEDH decks. Like yes, the deck has some chaff in in it and stuff that doesn't really work for the overall gameplan of either commander (the equipment, some low-impact creatures, etc). Most precons have that, but you'd also be able to upgrade it to something more resembling this Okaun/Zndrsplt list or this Krark/Sakashima deck without breaking the bank (like yeah you wouldn't have stuff like Volcanic Island, Wheel of Fortune, Force of Will, Dockside Extortionist etc, but still, some of those have pretty easy replacements).

There's much more than no effort put into it. It may not be an amazing deck out of the box (frankly I feel like it relies far too much on Okaun for wins), but it wouldn't take much to make something pretty cool out of, either.

Having a bunch of copied Krarks is actually pretty cool, especially if you have Krark's Thumb and something like Birgi in play. You can practically just loop Frantic Search until you hit Grapeshot and just go off, because chances are good at least one of your flips will allow you to send those back to your hand. It's RNG Manipulation: The Deck!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The World Inferno posted:

w/ all the basic land Secret Lairs, wonder if we've reached the point yet where you could theoretically build an entire EDH deck out of SL cards. The mtg equivalent of ordering a gold gilded steak.

Is there a comprehensive list of every SL card? I'm sure it could be done. You could even do a 5 color deck since all fetches and shocks have been made into a secret lair.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

There was a time in the email they sent out for it, November 28th at 9amPT

Also looks like they’re either not including or keeping “secret” the Battlefield Forge with the Plains sticker.

It's probably just the secret card.

Snapped up my preorder. What a great list of cool cards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Aether Vial circa 2016 when I was using it in my UW spirits deck and my WB death and taxes deck back when I played Modern. It worked great in my FNM meta because no one ever did anything about it and it led them to make stupid decisions. See that I'm tapped out? Nope, just vialed in a creature with a counter stapled to it.

It was basically a deck where every card, including the creatures, were counterspells, and I just won with tempo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to hope this will push down the cost of shocks again so I can actually get a playset of all of them

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

[ ] Tournament support
[ ] Spectator mode
[ ] Fixing random hitches with certain spells (Fatal Push)
[ ] Pioneer cards
[ ] Making the client not run like absolute poo poo
[ ] Keeping a 1:1 relationship with the world's longest lasting card game.
[ ] Maintaining the integrity of Arena's only 'Eternal' format.
[X] Epic random Hearthstone-style cards.

Folks, looks like WotC Digital understood the assignment

[ ] Implementing commander into arena

:sigh:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It really does feel like every Innistrad set after the first one has been riding on its coattails despite being kinda crappy overall and they're really banking on flavor to sell packs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

That's a wonderful card. Of course it'll be impossible to get here. :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Who wore it better?

For a second I was thinking green was getting a color shifted Chains and I couldn't be more disappointed

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

MeinPanzer posted:

It's funny that when I returned to MTG after literally 20 years away from the game and learned about all the tiny variations on kicker or whatever that got their own dogshit keywords, it's cleave of all things that leads people to claim that keywords have jumped the shark.

It's less jumping the shark and more that it's just an extremely obtuse way to word a kicker variant (and it's especially frustrating to read out loud because you essentially have to read the card twice to explain how the mechanic works). That and it kinda sucks at flavor because it doesn't really have anything to do with Innistrad or a wedding theme.

It's a bad version of kicker that will hopefully be seen as disliked and therefore rarely (if ever) reused, much like many other mechanics that they don't print cards for anymore.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
the only thing that will kill magic is people not playing it anymore, and from what I understand it's pulling in more money now than ever.

We can go on and on about how alchemy sucks and these online-only cards are loving up historic (because it's a radical and frankly unfun way to go about things), but no amount of change over almost 30 years has killed magic, despite that many years of doomsaying.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Congratulations to Magic for being an unkillable game because it has yet to be killed up to this point.

I mean if that's what your reading comprehension was able to squeeze out of what I said, more power to you?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So I've picked up Arena again and have just been doing dailies for a while building up gold to draft with. I have about 25k built up.

How exactly does one go "infinite" playing this? I'm not really interested in playing historic anymore, but I guess being able to play Brawl online would scratch an itch every now and then. But to do that I'm gonna want to bulk up on wildcards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't download a helper thing or anything like that, but I decided to try my hand at Premier Draft more or less blind and got 3 wins. Apparently if I got 1 more win I'd just be a little short of being able to have the gems to run it again.

Bloodcrazed Socialite does some pretty good work.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Predicting that spirits are gonna be real good in standard since Innistrad has a bunch of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

are we going to get a bunch new spirits in neon dynasty?

e: also, does kamigawa come out in February or May? I dont understand if crimson vow is just straight up an extra set or if it is the february set moved several months earlier

Kamigawa had a lot of spirits in it, didn't it?