Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

To go back to the whole cube talk, I've always been interested in building a cube, but have literally no fuckin idea where to begin, what kinds of cards to include, etc. The thought of a pauper cube is twice as appealing, as it lets me get my cube on while also not being crazy expensive (in theory).

So I figure I'd ask if there is any good guides to making cubes, common draft archetype cards to include for each color, articles and guides like that that would help someone new to the whole process get their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

One of my favorite cards back during the "high school lunch period" days was Powerstone Minefield. Had a deck with four of them, four Caltrops, and all kinds of stuff like d'Avenant Archer, Kris Mage, and other RW pingers that often could only hit attacking or blocking creatures. Just slogged down the board to make it so anything attacking needed to survive a shot of anywhere from 2 - 10 damage on average, and won through big dudes with protection from either red or white that didn't get damaged from my own minefield.

Nowadays, though, it's gotta be Reflect Damage. I've caught so many people out with that in EDH games, and it's just so much better than Deflecting Palm and others, because it turns back all of the damage from one source (so like, a Hurricane for 10 with three players and a flyer would reflect 40 damage back to the caster), and it doesn't change the source either, so people can and have gotten Commander damage'd out by their own Commander. It's funny, every single time. Well, I find it funny, anyway.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Gynovore posted:

So when 4th edition came out, I was the first guy in my local meta to realize how broken Land Tax was. The deck I made to break it? Why, simple! I would draw tons of lands (using Zuran Orb if needed), discard a fattie at end of turn, then use Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead to bring it back for beatdown. Which fattie, you ask?

Yep, I think I was the only person in the history of Magic to ever use that guy.

And here's the fun part... the meta was so horribly slow and janky back then, this deck actually won. A lot.

Actually, back around '02-'03ish, I'd had a deck that was UG that I'd thrown together using the Spawn and another forgotten fattie, Gurzigost. Looking at that card, I'm sure you can see the synergy there, stacking the triggers so the Spawn would mill two, then the Gurzigost would slap those right back on the bottom of my deck. The other ability Gurzigost had helped break through board states as well, as that ability was just starting to become a thing post-Rhox. I'd also used Seeker of Skybreak in order to untap the Deep Spawn in order to keep swinging turn after turn even after using the shroud ability, and just basically ramped into having a couple copies of each in play. It was so dumb, but it definitely won its fair share of games, even against one of my buddies and his tournament-level decks, so :shrug:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So apparently one of my buddies (and former boss) is like, top 50 in Mythic on Arena. Kinda wild, because while I knew he played casually, I didn't know he even played Arena, let alone was good at it.

Also, I love the hell out of Isshin's design, and feel like this is the Mardu Commander I've been waiting for. Pretty stoked to take a day off from work to sit down and brainstorm a deck for him.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

xarph posted:

wotc how did you manage to go to the 20s chicago mob plane and not have a card called Piece of the Action

Edit:
wotc how did you manage to go to the 20s chicago mob plane and not complete the XXX the untouchable cycle https://scryfall.com/card/cns/120/phage-the-untouchable

I'm just wondering how they went to the 20s Chicago mob plane and didn't have a card named "Usual Suspects". Hell, I'm actually probably more surprised there hasn't been a card called that yet, let alone in New Capenna.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

That's exactly my point, that while "Rogues Gallery" is still a good name for that, they should've gone all in. And again, I'd originally thought they didn't because they'd already used the name before, but no. I'm just a little disappointed.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

On the topic of Pauper, is there any sort of meta discussion out on the internet somewhere, or is it limited to discord channels, decks posted to mtggoldfish and YouTube videos? The Professor's video kinda piqued my interest in the format again, and I'd like to look into things before jumping into another format, but I'd prefer to read articles rather than watch videos if possible.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

First off, :aloom: at how much people hated the M30 poo poo.

Secondly, there's been a decent amount of cube talk scattered over the past few pages, and I've been kinda interested in getting one set up at some point. The more I think about it, though, the more I realize I know next to nothing about how to actually go about getting one set up. I know that the concept is taking a bunch of cards, sorting them into "packs" of 15 cards, and drafting with those. At the same time, though, that's pretty much all I know, outside of knowing that's not enough. Even simple poo poo like how many cards to put into the cube as a whole, should I keep basic lands on the side or slot it in like regular packs, simple introductory poo poo that would be nice to know, I'm clueless on. Long and short of it, is there a resource (youtube videos, websites, etc) that can hold my hand and walk me through babby's first cube, with hopefully more than just "copy this cube list and go", but provide actual cube construction theory and methodology to be used when trying to make a cube myself?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Cool, thanks for the info and links. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Strong Sauce posted:

So some ONE cards got leaked

https://imgur.com/a/Cqcm1dq#eYhkVEw
https://imgur.com/a/12Wpfij#rZNFf7Y

Fast Lands, Phyrexian Arena reprint. Bunch of cards that look pretty strong..

LEGENDARY JUGGERNAUT!? That's honestly pretty surprising, and also really cool. Gonna have to look into some mono-brown staples for edh now...

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Toshimo posted:

Phyrexian Plaguelord was the Rock and Squirrel tokens from Deranged Hermit were his millions.

The Rock was actually Deranged Hermit, while Plaguelord was actually The Undertaker. Source

As for the topic at hand, like yeah, I get that pop culture references have been in magic forever. But for the longest time, it was just that, references. It was interesting to see a different spin on popular things, without directly referencing them. Now, it just kinda feels like, "oh boy, here's yet another ip I don't care about :jerkbag:", because there isn't that separation forcing a different take and perspective on things. A lot of the flavor that initially drew me to magic and kept me interested seems to be waning as they start adding already existing ips into the game. If I wanted to play Warhammer 40K, I'd go to my flgs and bust out the minis, I don't need to have Abbadon or Rowboat Girlyman in my commander deck to get my fix. More power to you if that's your thing, but it's not mine.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mezzanon posted:

Also just won the local paper pauper league with uw inside out. Anyone interested in a tournament report?

I’ve been on a real heater lately.

:justpost:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mezzanon posted:

Went to my first paper pre-release in over a year and played round one against the guy with turn 2 bitterblossom two games in a row

Edit: I went 2-1 and he went 1-2 despite me seeing 5 on color rares in his deck

There was a guy in the prerelease at my store that pulled 2 Raid Bombardments. Thought that was kinda nuts, at least until I saw someone else building their deck with Beseech the Mirror, Dark Tutelage, and Necropotence. Absolutely nutty pulls (which makes me sad that my prerelease pack was garbo). At least I was able to get a storybook Sneak Attack though, and grabbed a few of the art cards from the cases I opened for the store I work at as well, because a lot of the art in the set absolutely owns.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

There are so many pretty decent attack trigger dudes in Mardu colors in the set, I just hope they're all going to be in the Caesar deck so I can just buy that to upgrade Isshin.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

One time that stands out to me was just jamming EDH back at the local community college in the campus center, something like 14-ish years ago. It was a little later in the day, and as classes got out, the pod I was in broke up, some to go get food, some to hang out with their buddies that just got out, and one dude still wanted to play, so I figured gently caress it and shuffled up my Mayael the Anima deck. He was playing something mono-blue control, I think it might've been Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. Real "Draw Go" energy. As expected, he countered a few of my early spells, and I didn't have a way to give Mayael haste, so I just got to the point where I could hardcast some fatties. First one just so happened to be Spellbreaker Behemoth. Apparently, all he had in hand was bounce and counters, so while he slowed the beats, I just ran him out of relevant answers and played big fat things. He got salty over that, and after getting his lumps, scooped up and stormed off in a huff.

Gotta say, it was real weird when I saw people talking about that same dude a few years later. He probably got a few over on me, but at the same time, I still remember how mad he was over not being able to get rid of a Spellbreaker Behemoth.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Strong Sauce posted:

Jolene is an uncommon legendary

edit: is that a snake with a horse's body???

snorse

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Sickening posted:

I think the full art fast lands are going to be a great pickup by next week.

Seconding this. Opened 17 boxes for the store I work at, and we got four full art lands total. Even the regular ones aren't bad, though, and they're pretty much always going to be decent, so now is as good a time as any to grab them in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

OneDeadman posted:

I like the art a lot better in Playmat form and those are currently only JP exclusive so :negative:

Well if you want cool playmats, Richard Kane Ferguson is running a Kickstarter for playmats with his art. Looks like it just started, too.