Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

They strike me as being a little unwieldy as game pieces.

Get a butler to hold and swap them as needed! wait poo poo does that count as outside assistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Abhorrence posted:

Yeah I remember you did a lot of the legwork on that deck, probably why I misremembered that way. And yeah, Oracle would have made things much simpler if it was around back then. Wasn't there an alt win con of Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami, and Lab Man, too?

I think there was also briefly an Underworld Cerberus version that used a bunch of Elvish/Simian Spirit Guides and a Wild Cantor to cast Laboratory Maniac, then cycled Street Wraith for the win. God, the things people used to do to combo kill...

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I sort of get why they templated it the way they did, but a part of me wishes the second ability had been "Prowess, prowess"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

I dunno, they look kinda SCUMMy to me...

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

drat, now this has me thinking about what a Secret Lair Constructed format would look like. Probably not good, but it's at least a possible bad idea.

Also I hadn't been keeping up with what they'd been putting out so I missed Dan Frazier's exquisite interpretation of Gruul Signet the first time around:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

Isn't Jukai Trainee's ability just Bushido? Wonder why that's not Keyworded.

Not much interest in codes of honor in the cyberpunk future, I guess.

Okay it's probably for a boring practical reason, but I enjoy thinking of it that way anyhow.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

resistentialism posted:

magic_brain.txt

legacy players when they walk through the cereal aisle

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lhet posted:

My favorite card was Survival of the Fittest when options were more limited - specifically back when you'd usually use it in a toolbox deck to grab Goblin sharpshooter, FTK, Sadistic Hypnotist, Tradewind Riders, etc. Fill with lots of mana dorks and Genesis and Squee for card advantage. You could go for a quick win, but you really had to commit with something like Volrath's shapeshifter copying Cephalid Illusionist followed by Phage the Untouchable.

That was a little before my time, but I felt the same way about Birthing Pod.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

Has there been a competitive constructed playable Shade since Nantuko Shade?

Depending on how you want to define "a shade" there's Knight of the Ebon Legion - it's a small black creature that pumps power and toughness for mana, but it isn't actually creature type Shade nor does it have the exact Shade ability of "B: +1/+1 until end of turn."

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The ninjutsu effect on its own is whatever given the cost and the requirements to make it work (you gotta have another attacker worth cloning that doesn't get removed in response), but being a one-drop enabler that you can ninjutsu back in later for value makes it a lot more appealing, if there's other good ninjas for it to enable.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

Exile feels a clunky mechanic somehow used elegantly in a ways that would be way more wordy without it.

It functionally means "super destroyed no GY recursion" but also "temporarily set aside" and sometimes "placed beneath this permanentand out of play" and occasionally "sort of in your hand, but not actially" just off the top of my head.

All the other zones have unique and necessary functions in the engine of the rules, so in practice exile is the catch-all zone-that-isn't-any-of-the-other zones. A zone defined entirely by negative space.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Iron Heart posted:

I think the "deathtouch counter doesn't actually give deathtouch" thing is more about how if you ninjutsu in Kappa Tech-Wrecker and burn the counter on the ability, you're left with a vanilla 1/3 on the field after, which is something that's easy to forget when you think "oh, it has a deathtouch counter, AND removal" when your reading comprehension is low.

You know what I bet is going to feel great when it lines up? Ninjaing in one of the "remove the counter for an effect" cards, getting the effect, and then bouncing it back to put in another ninja after damage for a better body in play and another go-around later.

Not making any claims as to whether that'll be good in whatever the limited format ends up looking like, but it sure sounds satisfying.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

A big flaming stink posted:

can "equipment" be selected by plague engineer?

You can't. All subtypes are associated with a particular card type, and Plague Engineer requires you to select a creature type, while Equipment is an artifact type.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Here's what this flips into:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

It's terribly juvenile and the lowest-hanging of fruit but I will always get a chuckle out of "Mr. Cocks."

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

Not sure if this guy makes the cut for living end but he's really cool regardless.

I could see it getting swapped in for Brazen Borrower. You lose out on the castable 3/1 flyer body, but being a big guy that goes to the graveyard instead of into exile, having the bounce effect be uncounterable, and being able to rebuy a protection spell or cascade card all seem like meaningful upsides.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Possible, but the bounce only bouncing creatures vs Borrower's wider range is for sure an issue, T3feri being the biggest one that comes to mind.

I'll level with you, I totally missed that it only bounced creatures when I first read the card. Less high on it now that I know it can't bounce Teferi, Chalice, etc.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Barry Shitpeas posted:

it was a whole thing in that set, they had Notch and Penny Arcade as well https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Am15+ft%3Adesigned&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Totally forgot about the Minecraft card. Magic's original Hatsune Miku collab.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Eej posted:

They said that they would stop doing blocks because they would run out of card juice by the third one. They also said it wouldn't stop them from making multiple sets in a plane though (ie Innistrad) they're just no longer beholden to the dreaded Third Set Doldrums.

I remember there being a few years in there where they did two-set blocks, but not why they stopped doing that.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure what the functional difference is between "you may" and "up to one" wordings. It seems like they've mostly swapped to the latter when they can and I'd be interested to learn why.

My guess would be that it's for Arena. "Click a card to target or click a button for no target" is more streamlined than "click a target whether you want to use the ability or not, then click yes or no," and the difference largely doesn't matter otherwise.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

soupy. posted:

I just started getting into Magic for the first time recently and I'm going to the prerelease this Friday at my LGS. Is there anything I should know ahead of time? Like the "do's and donts" of a special event like this besides making sure I'm showered? I have no idea what to expect but I'm gonna bring my Walmart deck, see if I can upgrade it with their singles, and hopefully meet someone that would walk me through my first time playing IRL. I'm not nervous or anything and I know it'll be a fun time. This might be overthinking it too much lol but I figured maybe there's some advice to give to someone in my position :P

E: I plan on actually watching videos about the rules because I've only played on MTGA and it does all that stuff for me. That's about the only thing I can think of for not being "annoying/a burden".

First off: Don't worry about being new/inexperienced. Prereleases are pretty casual events and a lot of people who aren't interested in competitive events otherwise go to them.

Prereleases are played in the "sealed deck" format - you get six boosters (plus basic lands) to build a 40-card deck out of, and play against other people who do the same. Building a good deck out of a sealed pool is hard and there's usually people who are happy to help. If you want to bring a deck and play casual pick-up games, people are usually down for that too.

Above all, have fun playing with the new cards, that's what everyone's there for.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/UltraProIntl/status/1516807914136248325?t=DZenXUkqmjcKhmqQqCH4-g&s=19

I don't care if these deck boxes make me afraid I snagged a card on the lid and it's going to snap the card in half every time I close them, this is good marketing.

Can't quite tell from the picture, which combo deck from 20 years ago is that?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I imagine this is just something you've got to work out with your commander group, but I swear a good half the commander players I've ever chatted with while playing modern or something all seem to just want to play whacky "forced random target" decks or big ole pillow fort nobody gets to win decks

Seems exhausting trying to get 4 people all in the same mindset to have decks that would be fun together

I got to try cEDH with a loaner deck recently, and while plenty of the other issues with EDH remain present, it did seem to avoid the social tensions of the "try to win but not too hard" type of play.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I like that the fandom wiki has an entire section on this

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Chandra_Nalaar#On_Chandra.27s_love_life

To be fair, having a sexual orientation that everyone finds confusing and self-contradictory is excellent representation.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I'm literally talking about my own bisexual experience

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Whatever happened to Modern Storm, anyway?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

There's probably a non-alcoholic lawyer out there somewhere, but I've never seen one.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Drewjitsu posted:

My power cube will incorporate a few of the conspiracy cards, but this is the basis of my own cube.

Ooh, which ones were you planning on putting in?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

I would love to see an Alchemy analogue to an Unset and watch people go absolutely loving insane about it.

Unprintable

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

A Moose posted:

Do yugioh tournaments not have judges that go "ok smartass, shuffle that in a reasonable amount of time or you get a game loss"

They do, and he was in fact politely requested to drop from the tournament a couple rounds in for exactly this reason. The guy who brought the deck was himself a judge, a fairly prominent one at that, and most likely brought the deck to highlight the need for a deck size limit. There's a good explanation of the story in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns17sYK4Eag

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Legit Businessman posted:

How on earth do you not know who Soundwave is, if you know who Starscream and Optimus are?

The cool sounding radio dude is pretty iconic as far as Gen 1 characters go.

As someone who isn't "into" Transformers, my knowledge of who's who starts and ends with the ones that ended up as general pop culture icons, and I suspect that's true for most people who know of Transformers but don't particularly know about Transformers.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Look guys, not every product is going to be for everyone. Paying a thousand dollars for four packs of proxies might not be how you like to play the game, but for someone else it is. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it, and I for one think we could use a little more tolerance of players who aren't like us, and a little less gatekeeping.

nah just loving with you, this sucks poo poo

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Wittgen posted:

We've also seen commons with an activated ability that costs 7 generic. The powerstone generation will play nicely with both getting you to 7. Plus all the artifact synergies.

(Speaking about limited here) Between expensive activated abilities, Unearth, and Prototype, there seems to be a lot of mana sinks in the set attached to acceptable early-to-midgame bodies. There's no way to know the speed of the format until we get the commons dump, but based on what's been shown so far I'd guess that they're going for Rise of the Eldrazi levels of glacial.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

LifeLynx posted:

BRO Jumpstart is fun.

Love how WotC's choice of set code leads to sentences that read like someone excitedly addressing their bro. Not being sarcastic here, I genuinely love it.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Didn't realize they even did RCQs in the Bahamas

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Depending who you ask it's either called Xerox because cantrips can reliably function as a virtual "copy" of any of the major categories of cards in your deck (it's a land if you need it to be a land, it's interaction if you need it to be interaction, etc.) or because the original deck that used this principle became known as "Turbo Xerox" because everyone copied it off the internet, which was a novel concept at the time.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

resistentialism posted:

Somebody tell me how do a scryfall search for cards with activated abilities that use colorless or black mana, only. Also including cycling, etc.

Right now my best searching method is to put zirda on as a companion in arena.

This should give you all cards with activated abilities that don't contain W, U, R, or G mana symbols, I think. Someone who's actually good at regular expressions might be able to do better.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ilmucche posted:

European legacy masters semi finals are on now. Top 8 was reanimator, delver, 2 breakfast decks, doomsday, RW initiative, W initiative, 4c control.

At least one of the initiative decks is going through to the final against delver or reanimator. Deck seems pretty good, wonder if it's that the meta hasn't adjusted yet.

It's a minor thing, but I'm tickled by the presence of a single copy of Thwart in the 4CC deck

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I gotta wonder what Unfinity and 40k cards aren't living up to their full Legacy potential due to being paper-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

generatrix posted:

I wonder if Looter il-Kor or Dauthi Horror (or possibly unblockable or flying one drops) would be a reliable way to be able to grab the initiative for yourself?

It’s kind of wild to consider cards like that for the power level of Legacy, but if the problem is not being able to remove initiative even when you kill the thing that introduced it, my first thought was “wait, don’t they have access to shadow creatures?”

There's Delver decks playing Unchained Berserker in the sideboard, it's getting real silly.