Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This is such an elegant way to do it that I wish the OG Innistrad and Shadows Werewolves could work like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

If anything needs to go it's Epiphany. Can WotC please stop printing Time Walks, especially time walks that are win cons on their own?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Standard is basically back to being unplayable.

Alrund, Goldspan and Chariot ruin the format. It's was lovely waiting so long for rotation only for the format to just go back to stinking again

I've been playing Orzhov Midrange and have like one or two losses to Chariot. It's a dumb card with W7 but just means you need to play more instant speed removal or artifact/enchant hate, which you should really be packing for their value engines anyways.

The Goldspan into multiple time walks is incredibly dumb though.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Lone Goat posted:

Return to Ravnica full block sucked rear end though. In conclusion, Ravnica is a land of contrast.

That mostly comes down to Dragon's Maze being garbo.

Triple RTR was great though. ...Except Pack Rat which was just an absolutely format ruining rare.

Gatecrash... ...okay yeah Gatecrash is probably the worst set I've drafted since Avacyn Restored. It is hyper aggro and basically had two decks you could actually draft.

...Okay you know maybe the format just sucked.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay the Mind Flayer card is a really good flavor hit for how it works in Stranger Things

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I've still been hoping for Planeswalker Thalia after all the poo poo she's seen.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm surprised they just did a reprint of OG Thalia rather than a new one, but I'm happy to see her alive and massacring all the undead.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Man the Izzet Ephihany/Dragon decks are going to be completely unbearable.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

When a token leaves the battlefield at all it is gone for good. it can not return from exile because it no longer exists.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

mcmagic posted:

Man, Alchemy and what it's done to historic is just loving horrible and depressing.

I legit think Saffron Olive's meme Inquisitor Captain/Clone Tribal deck is dumb enough to shut out most fair decks from the format and it's a complete RNGfest whether it goes off or not.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

HootTheOwl posted:

Tamiyo's Compleation]
She's phyrexian now, notably the first phyrexian planeswalker (according to Jin Gitaxis) implying Tezzeret isn't.

Oh hells no :ohdear:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh we're just skipping straight to Phyrexian Tamiyo. :ohdear:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So it seems like Tezzeret's working with both sides of the Phyrexians, as he's aiding Urubrask in an attempt to spark a revolution against Elesh Norn's control of New Phyrexia. This can only end wonderfully.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

uggy posted:

Ob seems incredibly good I don’t think it can be underestimated how annoying it’ll be to have two planeswalkers on the battlefield to deal with on turn 3

So uh what's with Casualty X on the card? Does it just mean sacrifice a creature period?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Seeing the early access streams alone, man, Ob is going to be the new Oko and get (rightfully) banned in every format

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Man what Arena are you playing on I've seen 90% Mono Blue and Blue/Red.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Urza tribal, let's go.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

oh no new Teferi that gets loyalty from drawing cards.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

YggdrasilTM posted:

There is still space for the Urza lands, right?

No, thank god. Underground River is 267, and basic Plains is 268.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Pirated Copy :allears:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

They are going to compleat Nahiri and I will be so mad.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well that's confirmation that The Jace/Vraska/Nissa compleated leak sic orrect

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nahiri's story continues to be sacrifice everything for the multiverse and get relentlessly poo poo on as repayment.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

??? didn't she deliberately bait Emrakul to innistrad so she could gently caress the plane over as a middle finger to Sorin, and then lock him inside of a rock for several years?

To be fair Sorin locked her in a rock with nothing but vengeful demons for several hundred years for the crime of asking him to take responsibility and fix the prison containing the Eldrazi.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Jace is a loving moron.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also Nissa getting got is 100% Lukka's fault lol. But also lol at this basically being entirely Jace's fault for walking into the trap, getting himself stabbed and losing Nahiri in the process, then deciding to suicide and take half the multiverse with him.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I thought it was less that and more the whole "holy poo poo we can't even have farmland because there's elementals everywhere and none of the land stays still."

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Teferi did in fact, land on Zhalfir.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Full spoiler's out, those are some insane signpost uncommons for draft.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This looks like a cute, not broken set.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

White Remand :stare:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

They do have the balls to produce 1 of the One Ring though.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

What is Conquest, anyways?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well they're definitely seeding some form of resistance or purifier to the Phyrexian oil, but also lol Lukka. Turned to ash by a cat dragon, and absolutely no one mourns him.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Considering that both Tamiyo and Lukka got taken out, and we've seen a new planeswalker spark up, I'm starting to suspect there is no magic cure for Compleation and we're gonna get a fresh batch of replacement walkers for the phyrexianized walkers.

What I'm saying is Planeswalker Thalia let's go.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh, hi Serra.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

O-Ring with ward. Nice.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Khanstant posted:

They foreshadowed her return by making it seem like she almost poured all of her emotional trauma, Phyrexian feelings, and then her normal feelings and rest of herself into whatever she was doing to compleat the planet, but then they interrupted her when she's all empty and crashed the big temple she was in. I'm thinking she somehow decompleated herself in the process combined with the Phyrexian signals dying.

And she's a character I liked because she was involved in the stories and was essentially my introduction to her. But then folks pointed out her backstory and whoopsie genocide really poisons the whole character. That's not some misguided mistake she can learn and grow from and we can maybe support her growth. Not at that cost, what a weird save

Nahiri is great because her constant character arc is "Try to do good for the multiverse" -> "Get relentlessly poo poo on in return" -> "Absolutely lose your poo poo." -> "Try and make up for the last bad thing you did" -> "Nope, you're still going to eat poo poo for it."

She starts off by getting manipulated and used by Sorin and Ugin to lock the Eldrazi on her home plane, goes to sleep to keep an eye on it with their promise that they'll show up if the Eldrazi wake up. So she wakes up and finds out the wards have cracked and the Eldrazi nearly got out. And she's all by herself to fix it because Sorin's off on Innistrad and Ugin's busy being dead. (He got better.) Oh yeah. And her plane is completely different and also confused the Eldrazi titans for their gods. Oops So she goes to find Sorin, ask what the gently caress happened and get him to come hold up his end of the bargain to come help fix the whole containment system. Sorin's response is "yeah I made my own planar defense system that probably blocked the signal, also I don't like your attitude, get hosed kid." So Nahiri attacks him out of rage, beats his rear end intending to drag him back to Zendikar to keep his word, only to get jumped by Avacyn and Sorin proceeds to lock her in the Helvault with a collection of demons for several centuries.

OG Innistrad happens, Liliana shatters the Helvault and Nahiri finally gets out, goes home, only to find it in ruins from the Eldrazi escaping, and snaps, setting up a plan to repay the favor to Sorin by dragging Emrakul to his plane. She beats his rear end again, leaves him stuck in a rock to watch the carnage, and leaves. Nahiri and Sorin are eventually forced to reconcile after Bolas drags them both to Ravnica and they stop attempting to murder each other long enough to unite against the angry dragon god.

So after the Bolas poo poo, she returns home to try and return it back to how it used to be.. you know, before it was a living hellhole ruled by elementals, only to find that the plane iteslf basically went "OK, boomer," rejects her, and she basically doesn't have a home anymore. Also Jace tries to mansplain and play both sides between Nahiri and Nissa and constantly makes things even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

IIRC, the Eldrazi basically had to be imprisoned somewhere because they were going around actually devouring planes but couldn't be killed because ???. Ugin and Sorin said "not our plane" and shoved it onto Nahiri. That created the roil as a side effect which turned Zendikar into the unstable, living land. Her whole deal isn't about bringing back a facist empire. It's about putting the land back to being well. Stable ground. She thought that the elementals were just side effects of the roil and not actually living creatures, which is why Nissa pisses her off so much. She thought everyone would thank her for it. And then the plane itself essentially tells her to gently caress off, causing her to give up and leave before she gets compleated and all that anger is thrown into the grind mill.

She has very much done a /lot/ wrong, but it's not because she's fascist, it's because she got used by Sorin and Ugin, tortured for millennia, and lost everything she cared about in the process all because she tried to do what was supposed to be the right thing.