Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just won a match on MTGA where we both had two Mayhem Devils out each and it was just a mess of ping triggers laying on top of each other. I guess I actually knew much less about rules regarding triggers than I thought, and so did my opponent. I see now that the player who has priority has to put their triggers on the stack first. What are the Magic 101 heuristics that I should be keeping in mind in these cases? Seems to me that the starting point should be "don't take any actions that will set off a bunch of beneficial triggers for both yourself and your opponent, since they will get to both play around where you chose to place your triggers, and theirs will trigger first"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Cat oven decks also leave me conflicted about digital magic. I generally think that MTGA is a better way to play magic than paper, because I enjoy being challenged on actual strategic decisions, not "remembering that I have a disturb card in my GY that I can cast". But having to target every single ping trigger instead of just being able to describe it to your opponent using words sucks.

On the mutant third hand though, I know if I got into a truly complex sac mirror using paper then I would not resolve things correctly

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Nizzahon did a "top 10 most OP multicolored cards" video and almost every single card on it is post-arena

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Are those GoatBots event calculators pretty realistic? https://www.goatbots.com/event-calculator I'm not good enough to go infinite in Arena draft and I need to re-up on gems, but I'm considering switching to MTGO. I've played MTGO before so I'm familiar with the client and I understand I'll be up against more skilled players. Even if my WR is absolute trash at 33%, looks like I should expect to lose only 6 tix per friendly sealed league? That's not bad at all for 6 BO3 limited matches. Looks like a big part of the secret is to buy packs from bots and use those to enter instead of paying with tickets directly

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
What's the best LOW EFFORT thing to do with boosters I win from stores that don't give store credit as prizes? Crack them and sell them back to the store for credit?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sickening posted:

The most low effort thing to do is just trade them for cards you want from other players. It rarely happens because I think its rare for people to not compulsively open them , but I have seen that it can be pretty easy to trade them for cards you desire at some % of their cost.

I only play limited

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

The use them to draft with friends

I don't have friends

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I guess at least tokens have summoning sickness so Treasure Cruise doesn't just become "draw three cards add 7 mana"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Just went 6-3 with a green deck with a single red card. It's just one draft but idk about this set. Every game I won was dumb (playing a larger man than my opponent) and two of the games I lost were dumb. One I didn't hit my curve perfectly and one I got hit with that guaranteed 4-for-1 black rare. Of course the game had to get to the point where they had that much mana, but every game did -- I just put big guys on the board until I could give them trample and swing for the kill on like turn 10. The only cool game was a loss to a WB deck that had a couple of fliers and enough removal to shut down my reach creatures

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Like I guess it's cool that the format is slow enough to turns off from affecting the board for once, but skipping turn 3 and 4 to play 15/15 worth of French vanilla stats on turn 5 isn't exactly thrilling gameplay

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I predict that by the end of the format, black and white and maybe blue will be ok, but red will be in the gutter unless paired with green, because every deck that isn't playing huge green creatures needs to be able to beat the huge green creatures, so damage based removal is useless

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I play a larger and larger green man.

I already made that joke on the last page

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Khanstant posted:

which allowed me to later on summon an even larger man

:golfclap:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
There's a common (or uncommon, don't remember, there isn't a difference anymore with play boosters) 2 mana/plot 3 that copies your biggest power, and a common (and seemingly underrated) 3 mana 4/2 that gives your whole team trample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I didn't realize that bonus sheets didn't go into standard until 1 or 2 sets ago. Given that, I am obviously not a competitive constructed player, but I consider myself a reasonably enfranchised player overall, I regularly trophy paper and mtgo drafts. So the non-uniform legality in products is definitely confusing