Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Just had a good draft

Nice. Big same.

Gonna take this post to shoutout 17lands. It tracks your draft record, but also all your picks, deckbuilding, and also your games. Pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Baller Ina posted:

Just noticed the symbols on her laptop are wrong. Interesting touch or ridiculous blunder?

Lol you're right. It's uncentered and also perfectly horizontal despite the laptop being tilted a bit. :mediocre:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
God I love drafting UB. This deck didn't come close to losing.

See the draft here as I switch out of Shipwreck Sifters disturb and hard in to decayed. T2 lord in to t3 Flip or Falcon, with something to do with the tokens afterwards is usually gg. With the tapper I got by without the black removal.
Remember to set a stop on the damage step or end of combat to be able to cast Cobble on your tokens before the decay triggers resolve.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TacoNight posted:

You still have to announce all DFCs when drafting in person, right? I never did original innistrad or the recent Zen, and I’m afraid it being awkward going around the table saying our two flippy cards each

To can't hide them, but you don't need to say anything. Just put them on the top of your pile so the back is visible, and cover them with your next pick as usual.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I looked it up. The tournament rules don't actually have that much to say

tourney rules posted:

Players may not reveal the front face of their card selections or the contents of their current packs to other
participants in the draft and must make a reasonable effort to keep that information from the sight of other
players. Players are not permitted to reveal hidden information of any kind to other participants in the draft
regarding their own picks or what they want others to pick. (Exception: This does not apply to double-faced cards,
both faces of which may be revealed at any time during a draft.)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

there's a bunch of modern set design a 1WW first strike flying 2/2 would fit just fine into, but they can't do it because of the reserved list

Give it vigilance too :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

The nexus of fate buy a box promo did this too didn't it?

Yes there were lots of standard tourneys I recall with proxied nexus.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So quick poll, who is feeling brave safe enough to go to the Vegas gp in November?

I'd really like to go, but I am doubtful I will. Then again, I will have attended plenty of Kraken games by then...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also why the mark poole secret lair with og BoP art was notable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

Draft: 1, up to 2 rares/mythics, sometimes a card is shiny
Set: Up to 4 rares/mythics, more things are shiny. 25% of the time you get a card and think, "Isn't that from a set 5 years ago?"
Collector: Everything is shiny. Guaranteed at least 4 rare/mythic+ but you get normal, alt-frame, sketch/bordreless and 1 non-shiny extended-art rare.

The Midnight Hunt Bundles I'm interested in since I think they have a bunch of the black and white + color border basic lands in them. I want to play with a complete set of them when I play draft.

Actually you get totally normal lands. It's bullshit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man that game 3 strasky vs sperling was sick. I don't think I could have born foretelling epiphany and hoping I'd get another turn to double iteration it with the mana to just cast it for 7. Not to mention the sick rummage in to test of talents.

Great match.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's fine so far. Lots of non games in limited due to mana issues and mulls. AliasV still sucks as commentary. Interesting how the limited meta was pretty different than what you'd see on arena ladder. Also as mentioned the round 5 match of spasky vs sperling was really good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

I'm sure thread regulars know all about this, but I just saw it for the first time and thought it was hilarious.

https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1447397745623457796

cml is doing well and got married last week. i'd have gone but travelling to south africa during plague times wasn't really on the table.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I know Rudy has come up several times before and I've said he wasn't so bad. But I need someone to come on here and explain how him bilking $1.3 million from his patrons for literal nothing is defensible in any way whatsoever.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ I don't see anything objectionable about that at all. He sells sealed product at prices people are willing to pay, cheaper than retail. It's the pump and dumping insinuating you're getting in on the ground floor of some also-ran game that gets me.

AngryBooch posted:

What's the story behind this?

Yeah sorry I should have gone in to it but I'm so incensed.

So, he was an early partner with the manufacturer of flesh and blood. So my understanding is he partnered with them to get a vanity card referring to himself made as a thank you? Non tournament legal. Then he got 1500 copies, put them in a secret lair style box, and offered them for fomo sale for $1k each, for 24 hours, promising to keep 10 for his family and destroy the rest publicly. He framed it as a public experiment to see whether people would reject it, making it rarer, and thus more valuable.

But at the end of the day he sold like 1300 of them for 1.3 million, and they are totally pointless pieces the equivalent of art cards. It's astounding really.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 12, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's pretty true, sadly. I know he has a few patrons on here so I invite any of you to defend your purchase, if you did get one. Please.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's a front page OP??? ;)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You can also have more than one rotation a year without shortening the length of legality or shrinking the standard card pool. I think as usual they drew the wrong lesson from the feedback.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My friend beat him on stream and he got all salty and insulted him and his deck like a little bitch loser so that's why I don't like him. Also while vaping like moron also.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Went cubing for the first time post pandemic. Turn one bribery feels good man.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

uggy posted:

Cubing has been a delight!

You got the cube list? How'd you get it out turn 1?

Island Mox Lotus lol. My deck was stupid. Accelleration included

2 off colour mox
lotus
mox diamond
mana vault
coalition relic

Interaction

cryptic
remand
spell pierce

Then just a bunch of things to make people concede

upheaval lmao
karn 7
jtms
bribery
treachery
consecrated sphinx

Anyways my buddy has been building it all pandemic and we finally tried it out and had a great time. Would recommend.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea what that sentence means

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Did Raven man get a card?

Nope never did. And they kind of wrapped up Lilliana's story at the end of Strixhaven without revealing who it was. I'm a bit miffed as that's the longest running unresolved storyline in the entire game afaik. The top theory is he's Leshrac who was hanging out on Shandalar where she got the chain veil.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why did no one post this when it came out? epic marketing spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJlfmLjPgxk

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Can't be lesbians if your plane doesn't have the Isle of Lesbos!

Anyways, I've started listening to the resleevables. Two eps in and it's as fantastic as everyone mentioned. It's funny hearing it after the arena decklists podcast in my rotation as Patrick is easily five times as capable of communicating and explaining points as Brian Gottleib. It's night and day. The dude has lawyer ultraspecificity brain poisoning or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I never cared about Odric :smugmrgw:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

what about that odric card is aggro or equipment-based

Nothing, hence it's boring.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I quit LR too. It's sucked for a long while anyway. Lords of limited is good. Haven't tried Limited Level ups but the hosts have good chops.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Since it gives your creatures that ability until the end of turn, does that mean after the turn you can’t play the exiled cards anymore?

No, since it says, "as long as they remain exiled."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah since Gonti you have to check every time. Grolnok from VOW templates it yet another way using croak counters.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

I'm not sure this is true, if you exile an opponent's bone crusher giant with robber of the rich and cast stomp off of it, the card goes into exile under your control and you are able to cast the giant from exile.

Technically, only permanents have controllers, and permanents are only permanents on the battlefield.

So when referring to cards in exile it will say 'cards you own' or whatever generically. And for specific things it usually goes off the 'you' or the controller of the ability specifying what happens to it when put in exile.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok so between MID and VOW how many did you get

So I started playing arena seriously at the beginning of MID. I have had an account since beta though not with much stuff on it. I think I started with 25k gold, 8k gems, 5 mythic WCs and 15ish rare WCs. I did 24 MID drafts over the season, and played a bit of standard using the welcome deck to get to plat and mostly brawl to hit 4 wins most days. I ended up buying the season pass and then cracking all my packs at the end. I got a helpful email saying that amounted to 147 packs and I am now at 60k gold 9k gems after buying the VOW pass, with I'd say 60% rare & mythic coverage from MID and my WCs are at 26/53. So if you buy a lump of gems once and draft reasonably well and hit your dailies it's not actually that bad.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

If I'm reading this correctly though you only got about 10, plus 60% coverage. That coverage isn't 4-of right? 1 is the same as 100?
That sounds awful to me and seems to support my "you couldn't build a new deck for the new set, only improve an existing one" belief.

No that is coverage-of-playsets. I can check after work but without purchasing any packs or redeeming any WCs I ended up net WCs and am most of the way to getting every/rare mythic, so that if I DID want to redeem a WC I am more likely than not half or mostly there.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I love limited but not for how much they charge vs how badly you can dud out at 3 or fewer wins. What's the term for a free version with drastically reduced or nonexistent prizes? Shadow? I'd like a like 500 gold practice draft that you can get a rare or two from and don't get to keep the stuff you draft, just to have a cheap draft option tbh

It's overpriced for sure, but I can tell myself it's cheaper than the lgs would be, not even factoring in the beer and tacos that would involve.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What is arcane? A LoL character?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Idle musings, how would y'all feel if in the new OP structure, whatever it may be, they gave exclusive promos as prizes/trophies? GP winners get (one, two, a sheet) of that year's winner promo, 2-8 get a different card, and another card set for worlds? Given that they're going to cheap out on it.

Feels a lot like judge promos, so, mostly irrelevant. Also like state champs? I remember the full art mutavault from something like this. The proliferation of alternate treatments, classic frame, two types of foilings, extended art, full art and all that has kind of shown me that adding yet another 'special' treatment is just not interesting any more.

They should stick to what people want imo: Large cash prizes and qualification for future events. If they ever got their head out of their asses they'd do what wsop or similar does and offer prizes that scale with the number of entrants and deal with the legal consequences.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot even conceive the mindset of someone wanting to drop thousands on a legacy card in tyool 2021. There's nowhere to play, the format has no long term future, and serviceable counterfeits are mere dollars.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm playing mono clonal agro with some steroids for high end

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Triple Khans was an all star. I really liked Eldraine and have a bunch of sealed boxes stashed away for future drafts. New phyrexia was bonkers and fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They used to have nice art on the box (maybe still do idk) and also a booklet with every card inside too.