Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

not seeing the problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A 6/5 for 4 at common is loving ridiculous though, so yes, you should have to work for it, and yes, sometimes the effort isn't worth it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

It's wordy and I think you could have come up with singular game words for the actions of turning day into night and night into day and made cleaner cards.
Also they were (for maybe good reason I don't know I haven't played with them yet) very conservative with the non-transforming day/night cards that only turn it into day if it's neither night/day.

So you make these supposed "singular words", then have to put reminder text on everything so that they're all longer and wordier anyway. I don't think this solves any problems here.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

You can draft any color pair as long as it has Black in it.

black isn't even the best colour in MID limited

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't know why you think this is any different from Magic in general.

My point was the current wording is fine, and adding more words isn't better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's blue

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'm absolutely certain they just didn't want to add more vocab words. Personally I'd say it's intuitive enough, but I've taught enough people to play to know that the vocab is a huge barrier.

Yeah making two new words to save like 9 characters seems like a horrendous idea.

Given all the keywords we already have, which one saves the least amount of space in the text box? Off the top of my head Defender is just "this creature can't attack", though also gives the game a cleaner way to ignore defender like on High Alert.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Blue is the best support color but all the best commons and uncommons in the set are in black. (I actually think that White is the second best.)

nah

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm guessing this is win % with these cards in the winning deck? is this arena?

Game In Hand Win Rate, ie: percentage of games won when the card is in your hand, whether in a your opener or drawn later in the game. Premier draft (bo3) on Arena, pulled from people that are using the 17lands app.

https://www.17lands.com/card_ratings if you want to have a look

mcmagic posted:

I hadn't seen this but it's interesting that the community pick order is way higher on the black commons than their metrics. I guess i'm in the middle of that group think lol

I trimmed the pick rates out but Startle, Sifters and Flip the Switch are all seen around 7th, the rest around 5th.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Yes, yes they do. It was "comes into play" between portal and M10, which then you had "in play" the zone, "play" the verb, and "cast" the verb. We've still got the play/cast issue, but at least play only means one thing now.

Yeah before they introduced "Cast" as a verb they used "play", and it lead to some truly wretched wording, like on Furnace Dragon

It was fun explaining to people that cheating it in via Tooth and Nail did not do what they wanted it to do.

The new wording is "When Furnace Dragon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, exile all artifacts." which is much clearer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

why the gently caress are those things twenty five American dollars

It's a a playable (??) mythic in a very bad set, all the value of an unopened box has to go somewhere

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Chariot can go ahead and catch an emergency ban on Monday. It's easily the most miserable card in standard.

Katana Gomai posted:

Chariot and W7 will be banned before the year is over.

mcmagic posted:

I do think W7 falls off a cliff if Chariot eats a ban which isn't a zero chance.

lmfao who had 9 days in the pool?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

what was the last good cat card?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

Whats the wincon of this deck, just beating people to death with the birds from Alrund's Epiphany when you get a bunch of turns?

and the blue creature land yeah, there's the Flashback copy spell that lets you crank out lots of turns

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure. My gut says that getting at minimum 3x 3/3s on your Epiphany turn(s) (something like six if you're copying it, right? Two from the casts, four from the Epiphany) is pure win-more, but that does basically just close any game out instantly. I'll probably do a fun or two of even if it's strictly worse than what I took out to fit them in. I think long term even if it does lose me a game here or there the equity from not having PTSD flashbacks of winning Nexus games by swinging with a 1/1 army token over and over will work out.

seem kinda win more to me, and turns on your opponent's otherwise dead removal spells. the thing I love most about creatureless control decks is that my opponent starts the game on at least one mulligan

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

1. With Croaking Counterpart, I can copy a Jadar, Ghoulcaller without getting hit by the Legendary Creature rule, right?
2. If the above is true, do I get 2 2/2 decayed zombies at the beginning of my endstep?

1 no, it's still Legendary and the copy has the same name

2 also no. the ability checks when it tries to go on the stack and when it would resolve (see "intervening if") and if either gives a false result, nothing happens

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Paper magic is always a good time even if you 0-4!

Like most MTG formats it's definitely pay-to-win, but I've heard good things about the budget decks on Goldfish:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

I wouldn't take any of these to a MTGO Challenge or whatever, but if you're just messing around at your LGS and don't want to spend a ton of money these will probably do you alright.

My favourite part about almost all these decks is that they're "budget" but still require you to pay $30+ on some goofball card that's completely unplayable in the rest of the format.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Goon finds One Weird Trick to get around the reserved list. Collectors hate them!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aranan posted:

Legacy and Vintage are pretty dead, but there's this up and coming format that's pretty popular and still has RL cards legal in it.

Despite Leperflesh getting hoodwinked into including it in the OP, Premodern is neither popular nor up and coming.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

They basically did this already, multiple times, and the complaints are dumb because for limited it makes almost no difference that they can't reprint literal Thunder Spirit:

My favourite part about anti-Reserved List chat is that, of all the reasons to revoke it, they rally behind a card that would end up being a C- at best in most draft formats.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to revoke it because I want to stick a Black Lotus up my rear end, how's that

Yeah that's a much more noble reason than "I want a lovely white card gumming up the booster packs"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Froghammer posted:

You wouldn't proxy a car

DON'T PROXY THAT MOXY

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As noted it doesn't apply, but I would be more concerned about the art of the older cards. If I recall WotC had some lovely deals with art for older stuf like the Black Lotus and such?

A lot of older artists had royalty deals so wizards got new art that, assumedly (I am not a lawyer, or accountant), they have perpetual rights to without having to pay the original artists every time they reprint the card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ilmucche posted:

my dude have you tried notable dead formats modern or legacy?

their previous post was asking for $100 modern decks, so no lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

But this does seem to me like the same issue you have in any given release where there's two or three really good cards you have to account for in your deck. Am I missing something that makes these three especially hard?

No, there will always be a Best Card(s) In Standard, some players would just rather complain about them than adapt.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chamale posted:

I think the move away from blocks has resulted in a Standard where synergistic decks are much weaker, so the best decks tend to involve cramming all the best cards together. This problem has existed before, as with four-color Siege Rhino decks. It seems that the gap between the best Standard decks and a casual tribal deck is much wider than it used to be.

What was the last good standard deck that you felt was "synergistic"?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chamale posted:

Oven Cat. Before that, the Wildgrowth Walker/Explore package with Bolas's Citadel.

Arivia posted:

which i think speaks to the problem - the problem isn't the lack of blocks in and of itself, it's the lack of synergies across multiple sets. standard has largely turned into figuring out which particular mechanics package in a recent set is The Best, which feels pretty pre-determined and lovely. it's not a "brew" if you're just putting all the food or all the adventure or all the werewolf cards in a deck, it feels like you're just doing wotc's 75-piece puzzle set.

"Oven Cat" was Jund Sacrifice, a deck that had synergies between cards in 4 different sets -- Mayhem Devil (WAR), Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA), Woe Strider (THB), Cat/Oven/Korvald/Trail of Crumbs/Etc (ELD), and then got banned because it was Too Good, so it seems cross-set synergies can exist!

All blocks did was spread out the good cards over three sets instead of having them all at once, and you'd end up with dud third sets with nothing good in them because they ran out of ideas.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gramps posted:

I just miss drafting full blocks. OG Ravnica block limited was absolutely bonkers. I know that's a high watermark but if they do it once they could do it again.

Return to Ravnica full block sucked rear end though. In conclusion, Ravnica is a land of contrast.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

i never understood why they continue to make "take another turn" cards without some kind of penalty or downside.. (besides mana cost)

Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Taking Multiple Turns So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Game Length Ever Elemental

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

What if a take another turn card also untapped all your opponent's lands and creatures? Would that be too big of a downside to let it be playable? Let's assume it's fairly cheap to cast and has no other downside.

There was a UU1 take another turn but skip your untap step, and it sucked major rear end

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The oracle text on it basically the same as written

T: Change the text of target white enchantment you control that doesn't have cumulative upkeep by replacing all instances of one color word with another. (For example, you may change "black creatures can't attack" to "blue creatures can't attack.") That enchantment gains "Cumulative upkeep 1." (At the beginning of its controller's upkeep, that player puts an age counter on it, then sacrifices it unless they pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)

It's less a templating issue as a "why does this need to exist" issue.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I conflated bad templating and "oddly specific and verbose rules text"

Illusionary Mask is a great one, I should have put that instead. Did the face-down creature's static abilities somehow secretly apply back in 1993?

I think so? So you'd have Ali From Cairo in play face down and your opponent would bolt you at 2 life and you'd said "ok I'm at 1 life" and they'd have to figure out what happened lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Man, I would love to read that if you can find it. I only just got back into MTG last year and it's sent me down memory lane when it comes to these old CCGs. I've even been hunting down scanned copies of Scrye and Inquest from back in the day to find articles about them.

Still had it in my bookmarks

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447461

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Koirhor posted:

Can’t wait to tune in!

This but unironically, watching high level control mirrors is extremely my poo poo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TipTow posted:

Lol didn't think he'd even be listed, whoops.

He went to law school but Magic is his "job." I'm pretty sure his collection is from the $1 million payout from the Mythic Championship he won.

The 1 million was the entire purse, not just first place. I think Mengu's cut for winning was a quarter million? Which is still a obviously a lot.

According to the page for lifetime earnings, not a single person has made over a million dollars from playing in professional tournaments. Though this obviously doesn't count income from twitch, articles, tournaments run outside of the pro tour (eg SCG tour), etc

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Just stop printing them into standard and just make more and more elaborate Explore effects, imo.

They banned the last two of those too lmao

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

do players even want new mechanics all the time?

yes, unquestionably

when there were sets without new mechanics, players would be disappointed

when there were sets with new mechanics but the mechanic wasn't actively pointed out with a keyword, like "gating" in planeshift, players would be disappointed

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Was hoping this week's Resleevables pod was going to make it all the way through without talking about the set, but alas.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Don't blame people for getting conned, blame conmen for running operations designed to rip unsuspecting people off

nah these people are dumb as poo poo and deserve to get ripped off, if Rudy didn't get their money someone else would have

unsuspecting lmaoooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I would simply not spend four figures on worthless garbage.