Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Silhouette posted:

There are a handful of cards that care about Day/Night that don't transform in this set.

Those aren't Daybound cards. Daybound/Nightbound are keywords. All the ones that do an ability based on when it changes from Day/Night have it written out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

If you ignore just a slightly improved ability from their human side..

Fangblade Brigand: Red, when you flip it it has a 4R ability that gives all your creatures +2/0 until end of turn.
Kessig Naturalist Red/Green. Other wolves/werewolves you control get +1/+1
Tovolar, Dire Overlord has a XGR spell that pumps any wolf/werewolf and gives them trample.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm guessing this is win % with these cards in the winning deck? is this arena?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looking it up, they created ETB for that weird Portal expansion designed for newcomers and they liked it so much they decided to introduce it in Visions. So it goes back to 1997

it looks like portal used "comes into play"... unless you meant the mechanic?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

want to flex at your LGS's Innistrad draft? Well why don't you buy the original paintings for the Day/Night token?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtgartmarket/posts/3142692999294231/

Get an easel and switch the art everytime the Day/Night cycle switches. Now you'll be able to tell when it is Day or Night!

($3K+ per side)

edit: someone just bid $6K for each.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Kjermzs posted:

Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.

volunteers have tagged tribal cards using oracletag:tribal but it seems like sets from the last two years haven't been tagged.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Because tribal payoffs are so varied there's going to be no singular search for this. Unless you search for every creature type at once. Which I supposev you could do by looking up the rule that defines all the legal creature types, paste them into your favorite text editor, and then doing a find/replace for ", " with " o:" which will look for any card that references a specific a specific creature type.
Then OR that condition with the phrase "choose a creature type" and that should cover just about everything

oh yeah you can use regex.. so you can do

o:/\b(Angel|Zombie|Human|Vampire)s?\b/ set:MID

however yeah you'd have to find all the types yourself

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

1. With Croaking Counterpart, I can copy a Jadar, Ghoulcaller without getting hit by the Legendary Creature rule, right?
2. If the above is true, do I get 2 2/2 decayed zombies at the beginning of my endstep?

nvm, got told it copies the legendary from the name so probably can't copy a legendary.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 27, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

it seems like they've decided 1WW 2/2 w/ flying first strike is way too strong. so for 2WW you get those attributes w/ an added 0/+1.

IMO... they're not going to break RL anytime soon so it just seems pointless to talk about whether they should break it. my opinion is that even if it happens, they're not going to be flooding the market with reprints anyways.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i never understood why they continue to make "take another turn" cards without some kind of penalty or downside.. (besides mana cost)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

do vardik astral archmage and storm skreelix reduce the cost of flashbacked spells?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

played in my LGS's FNM swiss draft and went 3-0 with a dimir zombie deck

i got lucky because at least 3 other people were trying to play blue. I only stayed on blue because i picked up patrician geist in my first pack and was looking for spirits with azorius but i couldn't get many after my pack came back... so i ended up going blue/black. didn't even end up playing the geist. i think once i got dreadhound around P2P3/4 and a morbid opportunist i pretty much committed to playing the colors. picking up 2 organ hoarders was a nice bonus and is such a powerful card...

My main deck was
2 Falcon Abomination
2 Organ Hoarder
2 Morbid Opportunist
1 Ghoulish Procession
1 Diregraf Horde
1 Siege Zombie
1 Dreadhound
2 Delver of Secrets
2 Rotten Reunions
1 Corpse Cobble
The rest were either more zombie generators or bounce/counterspells that also gave me zombies.

First match was against a similar U/B deck but he apparently took a ton of the counterspells.. we actually drew 1-1 and then rolled 2d6 for the win because our time had run out. Second match was against gruul werewolves and Third Match was against azorius coven/spirit deck.

really helped that I got Delver in my hand a couple of times early on but the biggest thing was I was able to play dreadhound in almost all my matches, I only didn't get to play it in my last match because my opponent conceded before I could cast it on the next turn... once that comes into play and you have a whole bunch of zombies they have to deal with both the dreadhound and with the decaying zombies.

U/B is so strong, especially blue. my last opponent actually drafted jadar (which if i had gotten would have been crazy) but my deck w/ diregraf horde/rotten corpse/and a couple other blue spells that made zombies were more than enough

i was actually hoping i'd be able to get a Lier, Disciple of the Drowned and maybe get a blue/red izzet deck going. i also watched a youtube vod yesterday where the guy drafted U/G, had Lier and drafted like 6 might of the old ways and actually seemed to do pretty well since all the flashback costs were so cheap.. green seemed to be really ignored.

i'm sure this is all well known and boring to most since you guys/gals play arena but i'm actually pumped that 1: i was able to draft U/B and 2: have it end up working so well after reading about it and doing mock drafts.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Any context to those of us who don't know what specifically your talking about?

the winning decks for all 6 satellites played either izzet control or monogreen aggro. izzet plays alrund's epiphany while monogreen runs esika's chariot both cards have been talked about as being too OP.. arguably there are other cards but those are the two that have seen complaints
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32563&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32573&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32574&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32576&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32578&f=ST
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32580&f=ST

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Sinteres posted:

Jesus, those top eights being almost entirely two decks is pretty grim.

But look at this Japanese tournament. https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32582&f=ST

The guy won with a Temur Deck and look no Alrund's Epiphany in it.. oh wait there's Esika's Chariot...

But what about this Dimir Control deck that placed 5-8... certainly that's a little diff.. oh it has Alrdun's Epiphany in it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

that card text/font has all the stylings of late 90s design in it. no kerning. no anti-aliasing so there's jagged edges everywhere. a low-res screenshot from the movie.. ahhh

also while i was trying to figure out if the card was real.... lmao

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

reading the original version for illusionary mask.. when you're ready to flip it over you can just remove the counters? is that it? why even have counters on the mask? was it a reminder to show how much mana was used to cast it so when it flips over the player can't say he put down X mana when the creature cost X+5 mana?

nobody at my school had these early weird magic cards.. they played like djinn and shivan dragons and what not but never any of the cards that required parsing text.. i think the most complicated one someone owned was like sengir vampire.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Toshimo posted:

You aren't talking about the original version. You are talking about the weird mid-2000s version they used for Masters Edition. The original version didn't use counters and didn't alter a creature's power/toughness. It was very much a "trust the other player not to lie" card which is why it got cut from Revised.

ah thanks.. that clears what version i was looking at.. then my complaint is about the masters card since it makes it a bit confusing why you need more than 1 counter to signify that the card was summoned via the mask effect.

looking at the rulings from gatherer, it's looks like its to make sure your opponent used enough mana to cast the card once the effect ends but it also says that the caster must properly use the right mana types/colors to cast the card.. so why isn't that being tracked by "colored mana counters" or what not...

not a big deal but just weird wording to me. it could have just said all face down cards get a "mask counter" and any card cast this way must have the right mana cost and type and you would just keep track of it outside the game.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quote:

Q: Was there ever an idea to use -1/-1 counters on either return to Innistrad? You've said that you prefer to use them on crueler worlds, and an Avacyn-less Innistrad seems like a very cruel world.

R&D has really soured on -1/-1 counter sets. It creates gameplay incentives that we don't like and makes sets harder to balance. We're not against occasionally using them on cards, especially in supplemental sets, but I don't anticipate us using them as a set-wide thing for a premier set anytime soon.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/odds-ends-innistrad-midnight-hunt-part-2-2021-10-04

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Bundles are set boosters instead of draft boosters now right?

So they usually have 1-3 rares and a weird common/uncommon distribution

MH2 were draft boosters, Midnight Hunt has set boosters.

MH2 has a rare/mythic slot and a possible extra rare/mythic that's a reprint that is "new to modern" What are the two rares you got in the pack?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Jesus Christ this poo poo is tough to keep track of

Draft: 1, up to 2 rares/mythics, sometimes a card is shiny
Set: Up to 4 rares/mythics, more things are shiny. 25% of the time you get a card and think, "Isn't that from a set 5 years ago?"
Collector: Everything is shiny. Guaranteed at least 4 rare/mythic+ but you get normal, alt-frame, sketch/bordreless and 1 non-shiny extended-art rare.

The Midnight Hunt Bundles I'm interested in since I think they have a bunch of the black and white + color border basic lands in them. I want to play with a complete set of them when I play draft.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Actually you get totally normal lands. It's bullshit.

WTF that is bullshit!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

I won multiple pre-release games by casting angelfire ignition on old stickfingers.
you play some 4 color deck during pre-release?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they're streaming a draft match at worlds on twitch right now... they were commenting on k. sato's B/R deck and the commentators were going "yeah rakdos is not really good in this set but i like his picks!" and then when they went to him for comment he said.. "my deck is.. not so good"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

This is from the lower bracket semifinal top 4 but just a pretty crazy topdeck here. I made it just a normal URL link in case you still don't know who won or whatever https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1172936398?t=3h18m12s

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

all i know about yugi-oh is he could suspiciously top-deck any card he needed. i only saw the early episodes though

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I thought Season 1 of Stranger Things was good, Season 2 was OK.... but the art on those magic cards isn't very good...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

more stranger things cards

more secret lairs

speaking of too much text: "read the fine print"

apparently also the MTG flavored version of the Stranger Things cards will show up in New Capenna Set Boosters. Approx 1 in 8 set boosters will have one of the MTG-equivalent versions.

https://clips.twitch.tv/YummySparklingStarHumbleLife-TM1Ty6pEGlv42lDH

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I mean the artist's name is right there on the card.

She does do pretty good work, or at least good enough work... these Stranger Things ones though I really don't like at all.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they updated will's card

(they forgot this one though)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

apparently he was getting so many replies about why... it's because i guess the crokeyz guy made a mtg pro tier list video and i guess he rated him low or something i'm not sitting through the video to watch where he is since i don't know either of them

https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1450132538417049600

like it would be kinda funny if it wasn't in a post announcing your kid, and like anyone else had a clue you were mad about the tier-list video. instead you just give some random callout to a DUDE who made a video for views.

imagine being that mad at someone, just seething about being rated like a C... not telling anyone and then when you had a baby thought, "YES FINALLY I CAN GET IN MY DISS FOR THAT TIER LIST VIDEO"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wrong thread :|

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so what happens if there is no target creature

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

bring sleeves and a playmat and dice if you have those.

there's an app called Carbon that I use rather than the Companion App

no one seems to freak out at my LGS for a handshake/fistbump

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

I can't wait to open up the 5 cent rare that removes emblems.

Don't worry they'll buff any "remove emblem" card by also letting you take an extra turn after

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

There was some side story about how a woman who wore the mask in Hedgewitch's Mask

who was possessed by Saryth and began dumping human bodies into large eggs or something so I'm guessing that's where the Serpent Egg is going to come from? Maybe?

Also since Saryth is dead.. maybe she is the Legendary Spirit Warlock.
Edit: Oh just realized Katilda is also a Warlock. So probably her instead.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they posted the official release date for kamigawa neon dynasty yesterday

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/mark-your-calendars-important-dates-kamigawa-neon-dynasty

quote:

Prerelease: February 11–17, 2022

Release: February 18, 2022

so we get about ~1.5 months of crimsom vow, then about 1 month of double feature, then kamigawa. jeez that feels very fast.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell I'm into it. Do we know if double feature is gonna have anything new or is it all gonna be MID/VOW reprints?

It's just the combined set but the art will be all black and white and also only at WPN stores. I just checked the date though the release for double feature is jan 28th. so about 2 weeks before kamigawa pre-release.

so just a guess maybe that means is some stores may alternate draft nights to get rid of their midnight hunt supplies.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Heads up. Someone spoiled a poster with the name of the two characters getting married...

Supposedly it's, Olivia Voldaren / Edgar Markov

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003