Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do the big werewolf players, the ones that wanted a legendary for their commander deck, feel about Midnight Hunt ones being mechanically different? I think the Day/Night mechanic is good and a lot of fun, and whilst it's derived from the old werewolf flip condition it means old ones enter as humans even at night and you have to monitor for the new condition (two or zero spells from active player in a turn) as well as the old on (two or zero spells from both players in a turn)

But now there's Gruul legends I think there's justification to call for Jund and Temur ones to open up more of them and the day/night gameplay.

I'm getting really keen to see what mechanics will migrate to Crimson Vow. I think transform can be taken as read, not necessarily Disturb, I assume Day/Night stays for werewolves? Unless the theme of the set makes it always nighttime and Werewolves are one-sided or triggered differently? I feel like it might make sense to move away from a mechanic that exists for werewolves (but extended to be used by other stuff in their set) and find a new mechanic centered on vampires and the wedding somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, would be nice if they kept making more of night/day. I think transform/DFCs are just so strongly associated with Innistrad I'm not sure they would ever drop it. Would be like doing a Zendikar set without landfall.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I actually forgot Avacyn Restored had no DFCs, but that's not an example to follow.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think the US will be open from the UK by then, might think about it if the price is right as I had a trip to Vegas cancelled earlier in the year.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

I would not enter any venue that does not mandate vaccinations.

I need to do some checks, but aren't a lot of them doing that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What do people feel about the soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored? Think only the double strike one saw some constructed play, it's hard to think of it outside a bad format. Just seems like it's a mechanic previously seen on Innisrad that could work with the wedding theme of Crimson Vow. Maybe a different implementation beyond both bonded cards getting a keyword for the most part.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Wolfir Silverheart saw play too.
Deadeye I know is/was a staple of EDH.

It fits the marriage theme, but only if you believe in monogamy, and in innistrad sexy vampires have harems.

A given creature could be bonded more than once, you can form a polycule!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What's a good way to get up to date on Modern? I'm thinking of going to the Vegas GP (or whatever it's called now) and whilst I might do the Crimson Vow sealed (sealed's not the best but I'd be playing the set a week early) I think I'm going to at least try the Modern event. Is Griefblade a Thing? I got some of the MH2 cards but I'd need to get Stoneforges. I can also do Vampires which might not be top tier but I have affinity for the tribe and enjoy it, plus it can sometimes just be so explosive as to be unbeatable.

I should probably hop back to MTGO (I've played Arena pretty exclusively over the pandemic) and rent decks for leagues but I'd then need to source the cards in paper PDQ.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just noticed that Crimson Vow's release date is November 19th, which is the date the big Vegas modern event starts, does that mean it will be modern legal if you can somehow get the cards for it that morning. I might be overthinking, but one if my options is vampire tribal who should get goodies

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I guess they might have other sellers on site that I could preorder through? Or will it just be CFB? Maybe it's different from their GPs run with Wizards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Well, if they're copying tcg player then they'll also have their own warehouse like tcgplayer direct.
I think the answer is going to be that they won't be legal. Like the old days, where you had to wait until next fnm

That seems reasonable, just seems unfortunate timing to have a major constructed event and a release overlap like that. Of course there's also a sealed event so swings and roundabouts.

To be fair, they would have to print and incredible one drop or a bomb rear end bomb for Sorin to cheat in for it to master, but you never know. May also impact colour choices as currently expect to be monoblack or Orzhov. Might make a case for Rakdos or even Mardu as if they use the same pattern as werewolves in Hunt there will be a core of support in the tribes main colours of RB plus pushed common, uncommon and rare of a tertiary colour (probably white, conceivably blue) and a rare each for the remaining colours.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 4, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just picked up what I believe was a very cheap MH2 bundle box at a games expo (£36 I think) just as a little treat. Naturally I open Kaldra Compleat, the main big-ticket card from the set that I had already bought as a single.

But how does rarity distribution work for the set? I opened a pack with two rares, neither are foil or alt art as far as I know. Another had one rare and four uncommon, I think one of those might have been the sketch version

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 7, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

MH2 were draft boosters, Midnight Hunt has set boosters.

MH2 has a rare/mythic slot and a possible extra rare/mythic that's a reprint that is "new to modern" What are the two rares you got in the pack?

drat and Upheaval.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Get it together America, I almost booked for Vegas but seems the country isn't opening until "November", not necessarily "November 1st". Might be able to book a few things to be cancel-able but I don't feel great about leaving said last-minute

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 8, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I would strongly advise against coming to America if you live in a country that has any kind of sane covid response

The UK, so I think I'm good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Did I see next Thursday for the start of Crimson Vow spoiler season?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Looks like I'm going to Vegas, better build like 3 decks. Probably just play the modern event for lols since vampire tribal is the only deck I have since both affinity and pyromancer got banned for other decks bullshit. Guess I'd like to see if there's any pioneer and I find myself quite liking the monoblack standard deck, Meathook and Graveyard Trespasser are fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is it felt that Sealed uses a particular skillset independent of the set, or is it basically distinct between sets and seperate from draft? I'd like to be as good as possible for Vegas but I don't know if I'd get anything out of playing Sealed for Midnight Hunt. There's all the deckbuilding principles which I can practice in draft, but maybe the only way to prepare is to pay attention in spoiler season?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Quick random question, Split Second doesn't prevent triggered abilities going on top of it on the stack, right? Only manually activated stuff?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah I don't feel like Double feature is it's own thing, kind of a pain of it's good and I want to draft Kamigawa though.

Is Geralf accounted for. Don't think he's candidate for a double card (already has one with Gisa) and I don't think he's becoming a vampire, but his sister got a card in Hunt.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

E; misunderstood

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Halana and Alena, Comfortably Shoed.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They showed that art during the stream yesterday as “Kaya, Geist Hunter”

She's definitely going to make another Ghostbusters reference in her Arena voicelines.

Silhouette posted:

Yessssssss more Castlevania references

Move on, it's time for a What We Do in the Shadows reference. Then Count Duckula.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 29, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Reads like a cycle card, having upside for the tribe in red's enemy colours. That would mean a black one for humans, blue for werewolves, white for vampires and green for zombies.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Maro preview article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/vow-part-1-2021-11-01

Confirms white vampires, including Orzhov and Boros legendaries which seems interesting. Don't think he indicates there will be a full Mardu one, I'd been assuming Edgar would be BW.

Alt art Falkenrath Forbear:

Also discusses the design team and the process behind Blood tokens.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Edgar's Awakening 3BB

Sorcery Uncommon

Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield

Whenever you discard Edgar's Awakening, you may pay B. If you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Cute. Maybe a Madness-adjacent theme?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wow, Downfall is incredibly powerful for an uncommon!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's really not? Doom Blade was a fine uncommon...

Doom Blade doesn't kill planeswalkers, about 1/5 of creatures and hasn't been printed into a standard set since 2014. I'm not saying it's bad for the limited format or anything, but it's of a level that we've only seen at rare for a while, and it probably going to sour the mood of a few people who draft planeswalkers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Zombies definitely like to survive wipes.

AngryBooch posted:

The new printing of Hero's Downfall has flavor text saying he got turned. I'm expecting a Vampire Odric card.

I figure he'll be the main monowhite vampire.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Want to keep any eye on clerics and see if something comes together, between this and Voice of the Blessed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Don't think I've seen the counterpart in here:

Kind of odd Olivia's getup is white, and Edgar's is black, figure either Groom's Finery would be red, so it's like both characters are full Mardu, or that both should be each character's non-black color.

Anyway, seems like you're in MCL if you can draft them together, they seem pretty underwhelming on their own, especially with the color requirement for pretty basic equipment.

Also I'll enjoy putting the gown on apparently male creatures. I am British, it's my culture.

Edgar himself is odd, 4 mana lord is bleh, can you get anything out of him dying, giving tokens and flipping back to make them 2/2s? Probably too long to spend on this stuff.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 4, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I dig it, +1 seems good if you're going wide, forcing the opponent to let attacks through or give up blockers to deathtouch is a rough time. -2 means I think this is a build around like Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord. Ultimate isn't an insta-win but can be good if she stays on board to +1 again.

Also not the -2 isn't only for creature tokens. Applies to Blood, treasure and the rest. Also Awaken the Blood Avatars token is not legendary.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 5, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pioneer was great specifically when Spirits was really popular and I was maindecking Hushbringer.

Kind of related: I heard on a podcast earlier, Faithless Brewing I think, that VOW cards aren't contracted legal on the 19th, the Vegas modern event. I had toyed with getting there in time to play that, without practicing, possibly with new cards in a T3 at best Vampire deck in a format I've barely played since they banned Faithless Looting, but I think I'll roll in later and try to practice the update deck in lower stake events. (Haha, stake. Vampire humor)

Something I do mean to do is get cards signed, Johannes Voss is one of the guests so I need to look up if I have stuff besides Thalias and Blood Artists for him, sure I have some stuff for rk post too. It's my first time doing this, and I think it's just for tips rather than a formal pricing system or anything, any guidelines on what I should tip?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Balon posted:

Any goons going to be in Vegas?

I'm sat in Heathrow now, going by way of Seattle though. Also didn't want to build a modern deck and go into the Friday event with barely any practice, so playing the sealed event and deciding if I want to buy 2 Solitude or sell the 2 I have.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Balon posted:

I’ll be there doing commander stuff all weekend. Come see me and get one of my logo patches.

I've brought a deck, but it's not been updated for years. Getting the foil Blood Artist signed hopefully though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anyone at Vegas know which stores are good for selling to?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

If 95MTG is there, I've had good experiences with them before. You could also check the buylists and just see who's offering the most for the main cards everyone is looking for.

Yeah, was thinking them, think I went to them at multiple GPs before.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Primate I'd...?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

kalvanoo posted:

joke about MILF, a popular type of Mom

Or a cropped screen of a store's buy list at Vegas, depending on the nature of the question

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

They closed sealed early so I've not actually played today 😔

Johannes Voss was cool though;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Dang, i love that thalia. That star was for judge promos right?

Artist proof, hence no hologram and the back is blank