Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

Prof. Crocodile posted:

4. real - being positioned on top of a wallaby, perhaps for the purpose of riding it.

lmao

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I once had a sort of long distance relationship (rellie?) with a top strayan shiela so I've heard a few but there's so so much i haven't heard, I'm loving this thread

alnilam

:pwn:

ty manifisto

alnilam

Hooroo is deffo real (ridgey didge?) but i forgie what it meansie

alnilam

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
3. flash as a rat with a gold tooth
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. Real, radio interference / static noises
2. fake
3. real, implying something bad dressed up as something good, or as mark twain might put it, gilded poo poo
4. Real, i like manifisto's interp of someone irrelevant's opinion that won't be listened to
5. Real, running shoes
6. real, i just feel it in my bones that this one is real but have no guess what it is
7. Fake
8. This one isn't even strictly strayan! Means wow
9. Real, hey/oi/gday
10. Fake
11. Real, fox in the henhouse
12. Real, lively/energetic person who is rough around the edges
13. Real, puke

alnilam

NumptyScrub posted:

9. a U turn in the road. Pulling a u-ey can be illegal in many circumstances in AU

If this is right then this one is also pretty common in the US. I've never seen it written though and might have misinterpreted it; when I saw "uey" i thought it was pronounced like you would pronounce "hue" in spanish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

lol some fun surprises in there

How much aussie slang is adapted from indigenous languages? Some of them just don't seem rooted in english or indeed any indo-european language, like yakka