Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

hi friends... or as we say down under, g'day mates!

in this thread i'm going to introduce BYOB to the weird and wonderful world of australian slang, expressions and idioms

there's a twist though, just for fun not all of these will be real, it's up to you to guess which ones are the real, true blue australianisms!

e: per manifistos excellent suggestion after the first one, a new twist! I'll give you the expression and y'all get to guess what it means!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

our first one is an old favourite

'going off like a frog in a sock' - this means to be excited or for something to be wild, like how one can be said to be 'bouncing off the walls' or 'having ants in ones pants'. it can be used like 'yeah, he was going off like a frog in a sock last night' for someone who was full of undirected energy and maybe slightly unstable or it can be used as a signifying wildness in a good way 'this party is going off like a frog in a sock mate'

Stoner Sloth

ok here's one to guess friends

'to take a squiz'

Stoner Sloth

to 'take a squiz' is to have a close look at something, 'give us a squiz' means give me a look at that!

i'll be back with more weird australian language tomozz (tomorrow)

Stoner Sloth

Lock posted:

does squiz come from an aussization of squint?

probably! was thinking about that earlier and that's what makes sense to me lol

Stoner Sloth

*true australia fact* harold holt was our prime minister (think president but no one takes it that seriously mate) from 1966-1967, until he 'mysteriously' disappeared while swimming at cheviot beach. wild speculation reigned free - did he drown? get eaten by the local fauna? kidnapped by the japanese/soviets in a miniature submarine?

anyway he is mourned to this day in the form of the harold holt memorial swimming pool

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

I want to swim in the Harold Holt memorial swimming pool but I legitimately cannot swim in fresh water so I too shall drown like Harold Holt, allowing him to return to this plane of existence.

please do not return harold holt to this plane of existence friend, his views are frankly outdated... oh uh im recieving word that he'd find a place with the bloody Nats if he can ever dislodge the fetid turd that is barnaby joyce *true australian fact*

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

finally i've been dying to ask this for years.

what the gently caress is a fair dinkum. am i a fair dinkum, or should i get mad? please help my family has been in crisis for so long.

too bloody right mate! i blame the clowns in canberra!

'fair dinkum' means something is legit, honest to god, real, 'dinky di', true blue, fair suck of the sauce bottle mate

it's also used kinda ironically to some extent because it's a bit outdated but in a beloved way

Stoner Sloth

also it can sorta overlap with the term 'fair go' in some cases but there is important differences too

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

Do y'all say "taking the piss" like Brits or nah?

nah, yeah - we say that

Stoner Sloth

Areola Grande posted:

taking the piss has always bothered me. what's it short for :confused:

short answer is that we don't really know

longer is that it's short for 'taking the piss out of someone' - it's parallel seemingly to the cockney slang 'taking the mickey' (short for mickey bliss) but aussies seem to prefer obvious crudity possibly? either way there are various theories about its origins - one is that the old urine trade used to be a big thing, ships would often carry piss instead of water for ballast because it could be sold - supposedly sailors would say that someone who was lying about their cargo was 'taking the piss'

we don't really know though lol

Stoner Sloth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve watched a lot of Kath and Kim and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be ace at this

Do y’all really say ‘budgie smuggler’ for speedo? And call those little crackers with a thing of peanut butter and plastic spreader thing ‘dippity bics’?

we honestly do say 'budgie smuggler' unironically

dippity bix i think mostly became famous with Kath and Kim and tbh i've never heard anyone say it but it may be more of an eastern states thing - a lot of slang is regional and given australians mostly live clumped together in cities on the coast there is big geographical distances even if we can mostly understand each other

Stoner Sloth

okay got a few terms for today

1. bodgie
2. carrying on like a pork chop
3. to get the rough end of the pineapple
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

Stoner Sloth

ill give it a couple more hours for folks who want to guess to take part and then i'll reveal the answers

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

I would be cheating if I participated, I have an insidue maun (my good brother lives in NSW).

you and any other australianese speaking goons are welcome to pm suggestions (real or fake) or to post your own itt so as to get to join in the fun!

Stoner Sloth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can absolutely hear an Australian saying all of those so I’m gonna say they are all real?

correct. amazingly all these terms are real:

1. bodgie - originally derived from the now obsolete british term 'bodger' meaning 'to work clumsily'. the australian term means something that is 'fake, false or worthless'. an example would be a bodgie knockoff brand fridge that you bought and isn't good or a fake receipt for something would be 'bodgie'

2. carrying on like a pork chop - when one rants, makes a fuss, complains or otherwise is loudly foolish and make yourself the center of attention. some believe this stems from the spluttering noise a pork chop makes when being friend but it probably draws from an older expression 'like a pork chop in a synagogue' which meant something unpopular. ex: davo is a good bloke but bloody hell does he carry on like a pork chop when he's drunk!

tbh i still remember the first time i heard this unironically between two people arguing and it made me laugh

3. to get the rough end of the pineapple - as several of you correctly guessed this just means to get the raw end of a deal or recieve unfair treatment, to get shafted. ex: 2013 Sydney Morning Herald 23 October: We welcomed the byelection so we could send you the message: we don't support a government that is giving us the rough end of the pineapple.

4. on the wallaby - to be 'on the wallaby' is to have gone bush, to be travelling off the beaten track especially looking for seasonal work. it can also be used more generally to mean 'on the move'. this stems from 'on the wallaby track' which initially just referred to following the bush tracks worn by the animals. it's not especially common as an expression these days but still does the rounds. ex: shazza (sharon) went off 'on the wallaby' looking for work picking fruit up north

Barking Gecko posted:

5. Real
I've usually heard this one used in the negative: Don't come the raw prawn with me!
Don't try to deceive me.

this basically covers it - 'don't come the raw prawn with me' is the most common form it and it basically just means 'don't try to pull one over on me'/'don't try to bullshit me'

thanks for playing along friends, i will bring you more possible idioms and questionably true australian facts soon!

Stoner Sloth

empty whippet box posted:

why do australians love philosophy so much? they refernce kant in nearly every sentence. 'oi, kant' this and 'oi, kant' that. read another book, guys!

lol

nut posted:

spend ur life thinking that the met gala is australian slang for starting a relationship

also lol

and love your work roomforthetuna!

Stoner Sloth

NumptyScrub posted:

As a pommie I can chip in on 1, we still use "bodged" and "bodge job" for workmanship which is done without using correct processes or tools. Taping a plastic bag over a smashed car window (instead of just getting the glass replaced) is a classic bodge job.

thanks for the contribution! that doesn't surprise me really because those forms of it survive here alongside 'bodgied' and 'bodgie job' or just the general use of 'bodgie'

Stoner Sloth

pnac attack posted:

bodges are a thing p much everywhere that speaks english, i guess .au just ads the -ie cause they're cute

makes sense - we seem to like adding vowels to the ends of stuff, most prolifically when shortening words and ending with 'o' or 'ie'

examples of the former are ambo (ambulance/paramedic), muso (musicians) bottlo (drive thru bottle shop) and smoko (smoke/snack break)

the latter includes sparkies (electricians), tinnies (can mean a tin boat/dinghy or a 'tin' can of beer depending on context), mozzies (mosquitoes) and aussie (you can probably guess this one)

alternatively a y replaces the ie in words like footy (AFL) or chrissy (Christmas)

more rarely some words are commonly used with any of these variants - rello, rellie, relly are all commonly used terms for relatives, flanno or flannie for flannalette shirts and commo or commie for communists

i think it's mostly a way to sound informal

Stoner Sloth

Areola Grande posted:

by the way op, I've always thought of u as being cute as a June bug and knee high 2 a grasshopper

:3:

cruft posted:

I want to finally learn the real truth about dropbears. They sound terrifying!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i guess if i spent my entire life being chased by venemous marsupials i would try to shorten words wherever posso (possible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAN77ZR6Bc

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

It's false because it's nonsense mostly. Adelaide isn't even a real place, look it up.

Adelaide? more like Radelaide!

Stoner Sloth

alright my fellow orbs - here's some more possible aussie idioms coming in hot and fresh from the arse end of the world!

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

are any of these real? and if so what do they mean?

Stoner Sloth

NumptyScrub posted:

drat, now you mention it I think there is one about someone who measures the bend on a banana

British slang has "chocolate fireguard" and "ashtray on a motorbike" for similar useless things

we also have 'useless as tits on a bull/mule'

Stoner Sloth

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright my fellow orbs - here's some more possible aussie idioms coming in hot and fresh from the arse end of the world!

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

are any of these real? and if so what do they mean?

alright some good guesses here - and now for some answers!

1. it'll be alright, things will work out
2. a person from queensland (also lol at the additional meaning someone pointed out here, that is rad) because queensland grows a lot of bananas
3. far away or not even close - can be used for distance or metaphorically 'that isn't within cooee of being acceptable'
4. to get an erection
5. to wake up, have a yawn, take a piss and take a look around - no food involved
6. the fremantle doctor is a cooling sea breeze that hits the western australian city of Perth on summer afternoons coming in from the direction of Freemantle
7. aussie version of holy moly - an exclamation of surprise
8. a sheep - most famously from a song about stealing them called 'waltzing matilda'
9. goodbye
10. authentic, honest, genuine article
11. this one is fake, i made it up
12. brilliant, great or fantastic - 'that was a real rip snorter of a party the other week!'

and our bonus number

13. no way, not a chance, i disagree, that's full of poo poo - 'give you five bucks for that lamp?' 'pig's arse you will! it's worth at least twenty!'

the reason for the bonus there is that it was most famously used by ex-LNP politician and long time president of Carlton football club John Elliot who died the day i put up these idioms. he was heavily satirized back in the day by a show called 'rubbery figures' (a term meaning manipulated accounting especially by government) which used puppets to make fun of political leaders of the day. never agree with the guys politics but seemed appropriate to include

thank you all for playing, stay tuned for more idioms soon!

Stoner Sloth

BALLS DILDO posted:

ill be honest even as an australian ive never heard on the wallaby so thanks!

no wuckers mate!

yeah it's an old one - i think it's from the 19th century originally but i have seen it in newspapers in the last five-ten years, definitely not as common as it used to be tho

also feel free to join in with your own possibly made up idioms and facts!

Stoner Sloth

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
3. flash as a rat with a gold tooth
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

Stoner Sloth

some interesting guesses, i'll keep it open a little longer in case anyone else wants to jump in!

Stoner Sloth

time for some answers!

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
3. flash as a rat with a gold tooth
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. AFL or aussie rules football - based in large part on a game invented by the first nations people here called 'marngrook' by some of the groups that played it. this term is often used derisively or jokingly
2. snitching or ratting on someone
3. ostentatious, too flashily dressed for the occasion, well groomed but a bid dodgy

NumptyScrub posted:

4. writing numbers in order, but on an official electoral ballot (only relevant to ranked voting systems)

this exactly - usually done by people who don't a give poo poo. australia has mandatory voting and you must be registered. if you fail to vote you'll be fined. our voting system works differently depending on the house - the lower house uses what's called preferential voting while the upper house uses proportional voting. both are ranked, instant run off type systems rather than first past the post

5. track suit pants - daks are pants in general, to be dakked is the same as to be pantsed and underwear is often called underdaks. trackie daks are the most common use of the term though.
6. work generally physical, hard yakka is the most commonly used form of the expression and is just particularly exhausting/difficult/tough physical work
7. fake gnews (made it up)
8. someone who is puritanical or prudish, a person who attempts to shame or censor people and the things they enjoy. a wowser might write letters to the editor about naked statues at the art gallery or complaining about declining moral standards in the young people of today
9. a u-turn - usually phrased something like 'nah mate, ya missed it and need to pull a uey up here'
10. an argument or fight or brawl, probably taken from the Scots 'stashie' or 'stushie' meaning a quarrel, uproar or commotion
11. like number seven this one is made up
12. an attractive and/or promiscuous person (sorry this one is kinda judgey but that's language for you) - these days more commonly used in the first sense. derived both from 'spunk' in the sense of bravery, chutzpah, plucky (which is also understood in australia in this sense albeit rarely used these days) and also in the sense of semen.
13. take a day's sick leave without medical reason, a very australian thing to do - though to be fair australians actually work very long hours compared to many countries and work a large amount of unpaid overtime because capitalism is a right cun...

...nyways folks that's all for this time? how did you do at home? this is stoner sloth and i'll be back next time for more australian idioms with stoner sloth!!

Stoner Sloth

alnilam posted:

lol some fun surprises in there

How much aussie slang is adapted from indigenous languages? Some of them just don't seem rooted in english or indeed any indo-european language, like yakka

some - and well spotted on yakka which comes from the Yagara language of the brisbane region (queensland). it is derived from 'yaga' which meant work.

much of it is white folk hearing words and mispronouncing them while incorporating them into the language, also often from pidgin dialects

aboriginal languages are a complex thing - before white folk got here there were over three hundred different language groups of varying relation to each other, some of them very, very ancient indeed (like stemming back from before there were modern humans in europe) in all probability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

but probably a majority of it is taken from UK dialects of various sorts and rhyming slang is commonly understood and sometimes used too - you'd be hard pressed to find an aussie who doesn't get the term 'dog & bone' that someone mentioned in an ad earlier

a lot of early australian slang and idioms were probably used for the same reasons to - partly to avoid having the coppers understand you while talking about criminal activities