Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Stoner Sloth posted:

correct. amazingly all these terms are real:

1. bodgie - originally derived from the now obsolete british term 'bodger' meaning 'to work clumsily'. the australian term means something that is 'fake, false or worthless'. an example would be a bodgie knockoff brand fridge that you bought and isn't good or a fake receipt for something would be 'bodgie'

As a pommie I can chip in on 1, we still use "bodged" and "bodge job" for workmanship which is done without using correct processes or tools. Taping a plastic bag over a smashed car window (instead of just getting the glass replaced) is a classic bodge job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright my fellow orbs - here's some more possible aussie idioms coming in hot and fresh from the arse end of the world!

1. she'll be apples
2. banana bender
3. not within cooee
4. crack a fat
5. dingo's breakfast
6. fremantle doctor
7. hooley dooley
8. jumbuck
9.hooroo
10. ridgy-didge
11. gungaflog
12. rip snorter

and a bonus

13. pig's arse

are any of these real? and if so what do they mean?

Full disclosure: I'm a pommie and my bestie married an Aussie lass, so I have a headstart on 'strine vernacular (I'm sure I only know a small amount of it though)

1. It'll be fine
2. someone from QLD lol
3. a long way away
4. lol this one is :nws:
5. going hungry
6. not heard this before
7. or this one
8. One of AUs most prominent species, the humble sheep
9. another one I don't know
10. this phrase is ridgy-didge alright
11. this one is definitely not ridgy-didge
12. something very good or exceptional
13. is no 11 proper aussie slang? Pig's arse

NumptyScrub

nesamdoom posted:

I swear I've seen this as a German insult for someone with a meaningless job or something like that

drat, now you mention it I think there is one about someone who measures the bend on a banana

British slang has "chocolate fireguard" and "ashtray on a motorbike" for similar useless things

NumptyScrub

nesamdoom posted:

I swear I've seen this as a German insult for someone with a meaningless job or something like that

I looked it up and it literally is "Bananenbieger" or "banana bender"

Dein deutsch is besser als meins :buddy:

NumptyScrub

Oh holy lol trust the Aussies to come up with the literal best name for a Spitting Image type show, that is a rip snorter of a title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub

Stoner Sloth posted:

alright friends, it's time for another edition of Australian idioms with Stoner Sloth!

here's some more possible aussie idioms that you can decide if they're real or not and if so what they might mean!!

1. aerial ping-pong
2. dobbing
3. flash as a rat with a gold tooth
4. donkey vote
5. trackie daks
6. yakka
7. gnell
8. wowser
9. uey
10. stoush
11. dingo in the crib
12. spunk rat
13. chuck a sickie

have fun guessing!

1. football, but the Australian one not soccer or the one Lock runs
2. telling, snitching
3. never heard this one
4. writing numbers in order, but on an official electoral ballot (only relevant to ranked voting systems)
5. not heard this one
6. labour intensive work; being a brickie is hard yakka
7. not heard this one either
8. (UK) exclamation of surprise, if AU have a different meaning I am not privy to it
9. a U turn in the road. Pulling a u-ey can be illegal in many circumstances in AU
10. never heard this one
11. not heard this one
12. attractive person
13. take a sick day from work when technically not ill

Barking Gecko posted:

A tradie might chuck a sickie in order to avoid a day of hard yakka.

Also this