Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I do like playing FF14 as a Working Adult, but I do sorta miss the serendipity that came with playing old MMOs (FF11, for me). A decent amount of friends I've made (some who I still talk to today!) have today are people who I maybe ran into multiple times while leveling this or that job, got roped into spending 2+ hours to clear a mission, or even just ran into dead on the ground while mining.

I like the new games, too! I just wish everything didn't feel so anonymous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
One of the things that I look at the modern MMO and online gaming platforms and then look back at the old school ones like Everquest and even WoW is the modding and policing of players.

In Everquest there was a "camp" system. It was similar to what some of the other folks have posted here concerning guilds rotating and honoring killing certain bosses. Since there were no instances, if you wanted to farm some XP and loot from killing monsters in an area once they respawn this was considered a cam. They organically grew from what players settled into, usually a relatively safe NPC-pathing-free area in a dungeon or area that was focused on pulling and killing monsters in an area. They were NOT things that the game devs created or that GM's would enforce. You kill a monster, its yours, its all gentleman's agreements on whether it was part of a specific camp or not.

This led to all sorts of consternation in certain cases like people training monsters into a camp, usually trying to do so surreptitiously, wiping out the players there then claiming that it was now YOUR groups camp was a not uncommon occurrence. Often times it led to HUGE arguments with group A training out group B then in zone wide chat claiming they were camping the area, and when Group B respawned and came back, found that THEY were now seen as the aggressors trying to steal Group A's legitimate camp claim. GMs would get involved, reports (called petitions in EQ) would be filed, forum posts would be made, and it'd be a huge drama bomb when something like this happened.

Instances definitely solved a lot of this in later games, but the way the devs handled it is really quaint when you look back on it. They would try to negotiate with people, try to regulate it, kick everyone out of a zone, try to watch and be referee invisibly and make a determination right there, whatever they thought was best in that moment. Eventually the devs just had to say "you know what, we don't recognize camps, figure it out, just let us know if the training of monsters turns into active consistent greifing, good night, don't bother us with this again".

On one hand the emergent gameplay of camps being set up is actually really cool to look at and see how folks interacted, but on the other, what an absolute nightmare for any kind of moderator of a game to try and police that. Essentially it came down to "can you call dibs and should dibs be enforced" which is really funny when we look at games today.

Edit: One memory I have was being in a camp situation and one of our group had to use the bathroom, so they went to some area safe up, like into a next room or something in a dungeon. The rest of us were going to take a break and see if maybe a rare monster was up, so we left the room too. We were gone maybe 2 minutes tops. Buddy comes back from the bathroom and is like "where are you guys and why is this other group here?". Turns out another group had saw us leave, moved in, claimed to everyone we had left, and took the camp. We were SO MAD but looking back thats so petty and silly lol. The wild west indeed.

Javik the Seer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 18, 2021

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
Camps provoked all sorts of great Skinner Box-style superstitions, too. "Anti-camp radius" was definitely the most common: it was the belief that a desirable named mob would/could spawn only if no players were within X range of its spawn point. Sometimes you'd get people who would insist that the camping group had to sit in an adjacent room to avoid triggering the anti-camp radius. And of course everyone had an anecdote about that time they camped a mob for 11 hours without luck, only to have it pop the second they left, which proved it was a real mechanic.

Not a single mob, anywhere, ever had an anti-camp radius. It was nothing but community lore. There were some rare NPCs with weirdly complicated systems of distant placeholders behind their spawns, always in big open outdoor zones (Quillmane and Bilge Farfathom come to mind). These systems were intended to make their associated spawns extremely rare and unpredictable, though players did eventually figure them out. But named dungeon mobs always followed a simple and straightforward system of having a fixed percentage chance to spawn at whatever the dungeon's respawn timer was; all other mechanics players imagined governing their rates were pure superstition.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

Not a single mob, anywhere, ever had an anti-camp radius. It was nothing but community lore. There were some rare NPCs with weirdly complicated systems of distant placeholders behind their spawns, always in big open outdoor zones (Quillmane and Bilge Farfathom come to mind). These systems were intended to make their associated spawns extremely rare and unpredictable, though players did eventually figure them out. But named dungeon mobs always followed a simple and straightforward system of having a fixed percentage chance to spawn at whatever the dungeon's respawn timer was; all other mechanics players imagined governing their rates were pure superstition.

That seems directly contradicted by:

Vinestalk posted:

The best part was classic Drelzna was confirmed to have an anticamp radius by a dev years after JBoots were removed from her loot table. She had a decreased chance of spawning if anyone was within a certain proximity of her spawn point.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004

MechaCrash posted:

That seems directly contradicted by:

I'd really like to see confirmation of a dev making that comment (and/or context to prove he wasn't trolling, which would in fact be pretty funny). Until then, I'm afraid this falls into "uncle at Nintendo" territory for me.

Even if the devs had wanted to, original release EQ (the era in which JBoots were a drop instead of a quest) didn't have the ability to implement something like an anti-camp radius, because nothing about the zone's spawn cycles checked for or interacted with players' presence.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Perfectly fair. I think the reason a lot of people assumed it was true is because everything else about EQ is incredibly player hostile, why not this too? :v:

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Camps provoked all sorts of great Skinner Box-style superstitions, too. "Anti-camp radius" was definitely the most common: it was the belief that a desirable named mob would/could spawn only if no players were within X range of its spawn point. Sometimes you'd get people who would insist that the camping group had to sit in an adjacent room to avoid triggering the anti-camp radius. And of course everyone had an anecdote about that time they camped a mob for 11 hours without luck, only to have it pop the second they left, which proved it was a real mechanic.

Apparently Prathun did actually confirm that the code for it exists but was only ever used on one spawn that he was aware of. The old rumor that it was Drelzna persists.

I can't find the actual post but here's some links saying as much:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-170638.html

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=1&mid=1106317370280015246

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/12-years-i-feel-so-old.4319/page-7#post-55174

And one that sort of conflicts those here:

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/aradune-returns-to-eq-aka-the-eq-nostalgia-thread.2679/page-11

Who knows!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

I'd really like to see confirmation of a dev making that comment (and/or context to prove he wasn't trolling, which would in fact be pretty funny). Until then, I'm afraid this falls into "uncle at Nintendo" territory for me.

Even if the devs had wanted to, original release EQ (the era in which JBoots were a drop instead of a quest) didn't have the ability to implement something like an anti-camp radius, because nothing about the zone's spawn cycles checked for or interacted with players' presence.

It was from Prathun on the official EQ forums prior to daybreak takeover (so before they nuked the boards). Here's the context prior to confirmation:

quote:

Myths:

Having the "how to blacksmith" book in your inventory increases your success rate on blacksmithing combines. Ditto for every other tradeskill.

Tradeskill success rate is dependent on intelligence / wisdom.

Any of various tactics to get an NPC to spawn including, but not limited to, killing other mobs / every mob in the zone (which sometimes helps), waiting until certain times of the day (which occasionally helps), speaking to NPCs in other zones (which almost never helps), or standing on one foot.

The person looting an NPC's corpse affects which items drop. Guild leader says, "You can't loot anymore because you have bad luck."

The locked mirror on the far right hand side of the final room in ToFS leads to an 8th floor.

Begging skill is great for aggro generation.

Truths!

The Anti-camp radius does exist, believe it or not. It's not used very often, but it is on at least one spawn that I know of.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Thank you for the links. That is interesting! I remain skeptical that it was implemented at or near launch or with Drelzna specifically, though. There are just as many reports of her spawning right on top of people as there are of her seeming to avoid her campers, so it’s hard for me to attribute the anti-camp rumors to anything other than a human tendency to find patterns in random events (especially low probability, high impact ones).

I can definitely believe that by 2005, when the Allakhazam thread is dated (and the implication of that thread is that it’s quoting a recent post), there were anti-camp type mechanics in play somewhere. I think it was Planes of Power (2002?) that introduced the “ring” style events, which as far as I remember were the first case of the game spawning mobs (or not) as a response to players being in a certain position.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The worst part was going into a large, difficult/dangerous to navigate zone and doing a camp check to no response on the camp you wanted, then making your way there with your group and finding it occupied by some folks too lazy to respond

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Thank you for the links. That is interesting! I remain skeptical that it was implemented at or near launch or with Drelzna specifically, though. There are just as many reports of her spawning right on top of people as there are of her seeming to avoid her campers, so it’s hard for me to attribute the anti-camp rumors to anything other than a human tendency to find patterns in random events (especially low probability, high impact ones).

I can definitely believe that by 2005, when the Allakhazam thread is dated (and the implication of that thread is that it’s quoting a recent post), there were anti-camp type mechanics in play somewhere. I think it was Planes of Power (2002?) that introduced the “ring” style events, which as far as I remember were the first case of the game spawning mobs (or not) as a response to players being in a certain position.

My understanding of anticamp radius from the thread wasn't "zero percent chance of spawn," but "decreased likelihood of a spawn." She could still pop with her JBoots on while you sat on top of her /loc but that just meant you beat the odds.

Here's further confirmation from Kendrick, who was the guy who wrote both the BFG quest and the mage epic:

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatze
"anti-camping code was a big rumour early on, BBC camp "ZOMG STAY OUT OF THE ROOM!"
Anti-camp radius code was real, but got turned off for MOST places before release, because it sucked. The functionality was still there, and some encounters didn't get caught, and some were made that way by mistake, though very very few. The first encounters to use it were Drelzna and others in Najena, and the BBC area, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftish v2
"That door and the zone line in Netherbian Lair (where it says "To Unknown Zone") always puzzled me."
That was just bad zone design and/or miscommunication between the artist and me..there was only supposed to be two entrances/exits from Netherbian, the third was built by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylax
"There's a hidden "room" in Tower of frozen shadow. If you sit and look into the wall to your right as you zone in you can see it. A bunch of numbers liter the wall."
Those are found in a lot of zones, the zone artist puts that there for the designers and himself so they can quickly use a GM command to move to the coordinates of key areas. It's just that most zones, you'll never be able to see them accidentally. The picture of the room in Solusek is a good example of this.

I don't know what event in PoP would have a player proximity mechanic. Players got teleported to certain locations and that would begin a script which would spawn mobs or make them targetable, but nothing similar to an anticamp radius. The only thing I can think of was the Ring of Fire in Inner Acrylia from Luclin, where there had to always be one player within the designated area for creatures to spawn and for the ring to progress.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Kerzoro posted:

Was City of Heroes the first MMO to do the "let high-level players level down to assist lowbies" thing?

In the game, this was known as the Exemplar system, and it was a pretty fantastic idea. High level players could play along with newbies without absolutely destroying everything in their path. While I'm not sure how many other MMOs today can do that, I know that at least FF14 can, which helps immensely.

The OTHER system in City of Heroes that I haven't seen implemented at ALL is Mentoring. Pretty much the reverse of the Exemplar, it allowed a low level player to temporarily level up to catch up with a high-level player, only a couple of levels behind them, so they could play as their sidekick and go on missions way beyond their level. Of course, the Sidekick was still limited in their power pools to their original level.

As systems that let players of wildly different levels play together, I always thought they were pretty cool systems. I wonder what game could benefit from having something like Mentoring?

I think EQ 2 did this as well. I always liked the system of bringing a sidekick up in CoH.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

gnoma posted:

North Temple of Veeshan

The other thing to keep in mind is that Temple of Veeshan had three major wings. The east wing was the Halls of Testing, this was the 'entry level' raid dungeon for the expansion. Nothing in the Halls of testing was on a faction so it was an incredibly safe way to cut teeth on the higher end raiding of the time because nobody's faction was at risk, though the loot was pretty much on-par with the world spawned raid bosses of the time. The lore behind the boss here is funny, a dragon named Dozekar the cursed, who's curse was that he's imprisoned there to be killed my mortals and resurrected over and over due to unspoken crimes against the dragon race. Hence why nothing there gives faction hits.

The West Wing played into the three-way dragon/giant/dwarf war that the expansion was largely centered around. These dragons were all on the main dragon faction and dropped quest pieces specific to players who were allied to the Giant faction. Naturally spending much time here would explode your dragon faction. There was a similar area of similar boss strength and loot caliber you would get if you were on the dragon faction by raiding the Arena and Giant royalty of the giant city.

North Temple of Veeshan was also on the Dragon Faction, but unlike the west wing most of the poo poo didn't give positive faction hits for the Giants nor did it have any quests. It just exploded your dragon faction standings. Because of that, if you were primarily on Giant faction for the expansion, it didn't really matter because your dragon faction was more than likely already bottomed out. If you operated primarily on the Dragon Faction, well I hope you did all the faction specific quests you wanted to do because you won't be back in Skyshrine nor Kael Drakkal for a while. But the loot at least after the revamp was all pretty much top tier.

Also - the reason Sleeper's Tomb was so important was that all the wardens dropped Primal Velium weapons. These weapons had absurd damage / delay ratios but the real kicker on them was that all of them had a random proc of Avatar, which was one of the premier melee buffs at the time, basically capping out your physical stats and giving you a huge boost to your attack power. Even after better weapons came out post-Planes of Power, it was still pretty common if you had a Primal Velium weapon that you'd use it until Avatar procced, and then swap to your normal weapon for the duration. They were just that bonkers and they only dropped on the Wardens. IIRC at a certain point later on in the game's lifecycle, the bosses that took over in Sleeper's Lair after the sleeper was awakened dropped a less bonkers version of those avatar proccing weapons because the Avatar proc was just such a huge leg up for those guilds that got em and then pulled the ladder up behind them - they re-added a mildly nerfed version of them back to try and close the gap.

And despite all of this, it was still way more pleasant a raiding experience than Veeshan's Peak in Kunark. Once you entered the zone, you could not leave via gating or teleporting. You had to be able to make it to one of the portal out spots, which required being able to kill at least one or two bosses. GMs and guides were under explicit orders that they give no assistance to help teleport or corpse recover anyone in the zone. If you couldn't hack it or if you lost connection to the internet for a long period of time, it was entirely possible you could have a character nearly-permanently stuck in the zone and not be able to leave.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 19, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the best part of Veeshan's Peak was that it required a key to enter - this key had to be physically in your inventory to zone in

this is a game where your inventory was left on your corpse if you died, customer service is not allowed to help you inside the zone and a lot of people were still using dialup with only one phone line

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

blatman posted:

the best part of Veeshan's Peak was that it required a key to enter - this key had to be physically in your inventory to zone in

this is a game where your inventory was left on your corpse if you died, customer service is not allowed to help you inside the zone and a lot of people were still using dialup with only one phone line

Yeah, and when Velious came out all the loot in Veeshan's peak was extremely not worth the effort. Entry level Velious loot was either as good as VP loot but way less of a hassle, or just outright better and way less of a hassle. I really got into raiding late in Velious and I don't think I ever knew anyone who had been inside of Veeshan's peak.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Was there really no good way to sneaky evac people out of the zone? Stealthing or FDing past one of the bosses or something? Because that seems like a real fuckin nightmare for a bad wipe or something. Surely EQ wasn't permadeathing people by rotting them right?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you could ghost to an exit by unplugging your internet and plugging it back in before the network number reaches zero and hopefully not dying before you can unplug it again / loving up the timing so you disconnect entirely (you'd have to load back in and you could aggro mobs before the loading screen goes away)

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Glagha posted:

Was there really no good way to sneaky evac people out of the zone? Stealthing or FDing past one of the bosses or something? Because that seems like a real fuckin nightmare for a bad wipe or something. Surely EQ wasn't permadeathing people by rotting them right?

You could invis past a bunch of stuff and just have a rogue with a rez stick drag a mage to the exit. It was a pain, but if your guild was good enough to get into VP in-era they had mastered strats like that as a matter of course already. VP was kind of a joke though because the boss mobs had a leashing range twice that of the trash mobs, which allowed fairly easy pulls to the entrance by using crap like throwing a javelin and then accepting a rez box before it connected.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 22, 2021

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

cmdrk posted:

I think EQ 2 did this as well. I always liked the system of bringing a sidekick up in CoH.

FFXI and FFXI private servers have a system for this too, called Level Sync, where you can invite higher level players into your exp groups without losing all of your exp due to the way level calculations work. I think it was mostly a concession to the shrinking population but it worked really well, particularly on the private servers that require an absolutely immense grind to get anywhere near cap.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Frog Act posted:

FFXI and FFXI private servers have a system for this too, called Level Sync, where you can invite higher level players into your exp groups without losing all of your exp due to the way level calculations work. I think it was mostly a concession to the shrinking population but it worked really well, particularly on the private servers that require an absolutely immense grind to get anywhere near cap.

I wish more games did this, especially where characters get broader sets of abilities over time. Just don't let lowbies have access to their later abilities.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's functionally how Elder Scrolls Online handles levels these days. The whole world is available right from the start because your character level has only a relatively small effect on your character's numbers. Those numbers do go up, but it's not nearly as dramatic as the difference between level 1 and level 50 in most MMOs. Instead, it's more about getting new abilities and fancier equipment set bonuses and stuff as your level increases. You do get more powerful, but in a "you can do more stuff" way rather than a "you do all the same stuff but the numbers are higher" way.

It's a clever way to handle a "the whole world scales to you" thing, in that the world doesn't really scale to you--it doesn't need to.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Glagha posted:

Back when I played p1999 (so maybe not 100% accurate to live in the year 2000), individuals trapped in Veeshan's Peak could escape via a convoluted resurrection loophole.

The way resurrection spells functioned in that era is that casting a res spell on a corpse would check to see if that player was currently in the game world. If that player was online, then no matter where they were in the game world, they would receive a "would you like to accept a resurrection" dialogue box. Clicking "yes" in this dialogue box would instantly teleport that player to the location of their corpse. And as it turns out, the coding for Veeshan's Peak did not block this specific teleportation effect.

So if you have a corpse outside of VP somewhere, then any cleric can walk up to that corpse, click their res stick, and give you a free teleport out of VP.

Of course, most players don't leave corpses lying around unless they have a good reason (for example, corpsing keys in Plane of Sky - someone else can talk about this if it hasn't come up yet). So most of the time, your average raider in VP doesn't have a corpse handy outside of VP.

So let's say you're trapped in the safe entrance area of VP, probably because you missed the bus when your raid ran out to one of the teleport pads. No problem! You can still get out by following these steps:
  1. Commit suicide by tossing yourself at one of the trash mobs near the entrance. Try to make sure you don't accidentally train it on top of any other unlucky souls in the safe area.
  2. You respawn naked at your bind point. Now you have a VP Corpse that has all your nice raid gear on it.
  3. Kill your naked toon again, this time outside VP. Preferably near a friendly cleric. This creates an Escape Corpse.
  4. Have a cleric in VP cast a resurrection spell on your VP Corpse. Hopefully your guild has a clericbot that permanently lives in VP (usually a cleric formerly played by a now retired player). As described above, this effect teleports you directly to your corpse in VP, no matter where you are in the world.
  5. Loot all your nice shiny raid gear off your VP Corpse.
  6. Have a friendly cleric cast a resurrection spell on your Escape Corpse. Again, this allows you to teleport directly to your Escape Corpse, even if you are in VP when the resurrection spell is cast.
  7. Now you're outside of VP and still have all your stuff. All it cost was a small amount of XP (max level res effects restore most but not all XP lost on death), the time of probably multiple different people to drive the two needed clerics, and the logistical headache of setting up the process.
Yes, doing this was as annoying as it sounds. But it was also extremely common, because there was basically no other way out of VP if you missed the very narrow time window for the raid bus out that generally only occurred after all the dragons were dead for the week.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Were all the mobs in VP on the same faction? I feel like I grinded the VP faction on my druid at some point so I could go in there and not be KOS. I may be misremembering though.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
They were not, it was kind of messed up. All the dragons were on Ring of Scale faction, but the trash were not. The trash didn't see invis though, so you could get by running around there if you were careful enough.

We, very rarely, had a group that would get together and kill the dragons in VP on AK. I would always spend a little bit prepping by soloing the King of Kaladim over and over on my bard so I could max my RoS faction. It made pulling in that place a breeze.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm pretty sure some of the trash saw invis, otherwise it would have been easy for many classes to run out solo.

Speaking of faction, killing in Veeshan's Peak had the nice side effect of quickly maxing out your positive Venril Sathir faction (evil lizardman mega necromancer vampire dude). This let you run around the Overthere outpost with impunity no matter your race/deity, which was very useful since that was the main travel hub of high level players on the Kunark continent. It also made all the living mobs in Karnor's Castle (a high level dungeon) friends with you. This was mostly a novelty since all the undead mobs were on a different faction that still hated you and almost every area in Karnor's featured live and undead mobs spawning side by side. But it was a fun novelty to be able to chill out with the drolvargs in Karnor's after spending so much time killing thousands of them to level up in your agonizingly slow 50s.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 23, 2021

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Here's something I never figured out. Like 2002 or so I decided to sell my account so I could buy a playstation 2. I sold my account for like $300 (I was a warrior that wasn't even level 60 lol, no idea why someone paid me money for it) on whatever the forum was where you would sell stuff. I gave the guy my email and password and he sent me 300 bucks somehow. In my memory it was paypal but no idea if that actually existed at the time.

Years and years later, I petitioned Sony to get access to my account. The guy could tell I was the original account holder and he was really trying to get me access to my account. He was asking me for old passwords etc, all this stuff I couldn't remember. Even credit card numbers. Finally I convinced him to give it back to me just based on me remembering my old login (a hotmail account.) Anyway I logged in and my character hadn't been touched. It was in the same zone I had left it in. All the gear was the same. All the stuff in the bags was just as I'd left it. Still had some random amount of money on the character and in the bank. I never figured out what the hell the guy did with my account.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Phoix posted:

When Crimecraft first launched you could bring up the console with tilde and there were no roles preventing players from doing whatever they wanted. It was incredible

That owns

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Vinestalk posted:

All right. Hopefully we can get those Rift Chloromancer and Vanguard Blood Mage posts.

I posted this in the Pantheon thread after I caught up there then saw this thread linked. Figured I'd cross post this here where it's more on topic. If anyone is interested in anything else Vanguard related, I'm more than happy to reminisce and try to remember as much weird, broken, and fun poo poo as I can from playing.

ZixTheYeti posted:

A little late responding to this as I've been catching up on lurking this thread. Since no one's jumped on it and I've seen them brought up a few times in the thread, I'll talk a bit about Vanguard's blood mages. For context, I've done raids and endgame grouping as one and I do still remember an unhealthily large amount about the game.

The short rundown is that they were a light armor wearing caster and had a few spells that "life tapped" an offensive target and returned the damage (and a bonus amount based on Blood Union) as a heal to the mage's defensive target. They didn't hit as hard as the sorcerer or druid classes (and arguably the psionicist and necromancer if you had a good one of those) but between damage and heals, they generated enough agro as it was. Where most healers relied on a high vitality stat to boost heals and mana regen, blood mages were built more like a caster with intelligence to boost damage and wisdom to boost crits and total mana,. Constitution was also a major stat (arguably more important than wisdom) as it was needed to boost hit points and mitigation since that light armor isn't going to help much when you're often in face punching range or using a pact (see below). There were a couple regular vitality based heals in the repertoire but if you were using those abilities, you either were fighting something where tap heals were not an option or didn't know how to play the class. Gear was pretty much like any other caster as far as stats/attributes/effects/etc., though with some limitations since some caster gear was ONLY for casters and didn't include the blood mage (Sparkles' ring, I'm looking at you). There is a minor tradeoff though in that some healer cloaks/jewellery could be equipped by blood mages, most of which were vit/healer oriented and not that useful but some were significant improvements (the mask from Mercaius is a prime example since it extended casting range and boosted damage rating, but was healer only).

When talking about blood mages, the two spells people usually refer to are Entwining Vein, which healed a single target, and Blood Tribute, which was an instant cast crit finisher that group healed. Usually, the finisher was left to timeout unless it was needed to actually heal the group or heal a group member instantly since it was a big agro generator and a waste to just be used for damage. Entwining Vein was the real bread and butter ability for healing but did have a very minor cast time, so not really a quick react heal. Both of these abilities were arcane (lightning) damage types in Vanguard's system, which made them very dangerous when fighting something that absorbed arcane damage. If the opposite of damaging something is absorbing/healing, what do you think the opposite of stealing health from a mob and healing a player is? If you guessed stealing health from the player and healing the mob, you are right. Now when the player is designed to have LESS hit points than the mob and the ability is designed to do damage with that consideration, suddenly that tap heal just became an instant player killer. This was often used to either grief fellow raid/group members or to indicate that the blood mage is not paying any drat attention. This is where those vit heals would have to be used, but they sucked big time and were very mana inefficient. A couple years before shutdown, a third ability got added (obtained through a quickish collect quest) which was a slightly weaker Entwining Vein that did planar damage instead (a newer damage type added in the Pantheon of the Ancients revamp and very little resisted it), which was nice since it allowed the blood mage to still tap heal on arcane resistant/absorbent stuff and had the added bonus of being one of the only abilities that damaged through the stupid "furious" ability a lot of endgame stuff had.

Some of the other combat related stuff included the three combat stances, Blood Union, and pacts while most of the remainder were typical DD and DoT's. The three stances were one that boosted spell damage but would do a little bit of damage over time to the blood mage (the primary combat stance), one that boosted mitigation/heal effectiveness/health regen (good when you're in the thick of things or being defensive), and one that was just a neutral/noncombat stance. Blood Union was a status counter that didn't penalize as a debuff but built up over time on an offensive target in combat as long as you stay targeted on them. Some abilities (like I mentioned above) would get damage/heal boosts the higher the union, plus the union points could be spent on certain damage abilities so it also functioned as another resource pool. Pacts were like a player to player bond that shared hit point pools between the blood mage and a single player or between the whole group a blood mage was in. This was important for some really hard hitting targets (e.g. Sparkles) so that the tank didn't die in one hit but instead the damage would get shared to those in the pact (this is where the extra con and hp for the blood mage help, otherwise you die, the tank dies, everybody dies).

Outside of regular class buffs, the blood mage also had unique symbiote buffs that could be cast on individual players. This is one of the big complaints many blood mages had with the class because of how tedious it got farming components and doling out each symbiote one at a time in groups/raids. The components had to be farmed in combat using a specific harvesting ability and the component you got was based on the blood mage DoT/debuff active on the target. And you couldn't cast a bunch of them and get a bunch of components in one go. You only got ONE component at a time and the harvesting ability had a cool down too, which meant recasting both the DoT/debuff and the harvesting spell a LOT. Trying to farm during group/raid was a bit distracting, and solo harvesting meant you had to find the right target to farm from since a strong mob could beat your rear end or a weak mob could die before you got much. Alternatively, a psionicist could chain mez a mob that could then be harvested, but it wasn't very fun for the psionicist just standing around spamming mez. Once the components were collected, there were many different kinds of symbiotes that could be assembled. I don't remember them all, but some were one that gave bonus armor class, one that gave a temporary heal ability (meaning a bard could actually cast a little heal, for example). and one that granted levitation. However, there were only two that were really worth anything: frenzied and quickening. Quickening gave a temporary ability called Quickening Jolt which was an instant cast 5 or 10 second long big damage buff (HUGE for the burst DPSers) with a 5 minute cool down. Frenzied was a flat damage bonus for all abilities (not a percentage boost like most bonuses) so it boosted the damage of weapons/abilities in the calculation itself, making a sword that was 98-110 now be 108=120 in the damage formula (I don't remember the exact number bonuses frenzied gave, but that's basically what it did). The problem with the symbiotes was they had to be given out one at a time: target a player, cast the symbiote, target the next player, cast a symbiote, etc. And everyone wanted something based on their class/play style and the fight, so the blood mage would sit for like 10-15 minutes handing them out, getting messages/requests, and making sure they had enough symbiotes/components (and there was always that one jackass that was AFK and came back asking for a symbiote after last call). This was a major burnout factor for a lot of blood mages. On a personal note, these didn't bother me much since I had an NPC I could easily farm/stockpile components and since I didn't have to worry about running out, I just gave everyone the symbiote I thought they'd want unless they told me otherwise.

The last cool thing about the blood mage to mention are the benefits from the epics obtained in Pantheon of the Ancients. The primary epic (which was placed in gloves armor, unlike other epics) had a clickable ability that summoned a little ooze pet. It was pretty basic as far as abilities/stats but the real benefit was that it would have a special ability that was determined by the type of mob targeted when the epic was clicked. The best mob to target was the extraplanar ones (e.g. flarehounds, eyelords), because the ooze's special ability was a 10 minute 5% damage group buff and it would cast the buff on the blood mage's group every few minutes (I used to summon this pet and WALK to some raids just to have it). The off-hand epic had a passive ability that would proc and create a blood pellet in your inventory. There were four different kinds of pellets that could be randomly created: red, blue, green, and gold. Like symbiotes, these pellets were inventory items (more stockpiling!) that when clicked on a defensive target would cast single target buffs with a 10 minute duration (except gold). You could only have one active on someone at a time, plus since they were clicked from inventory there was a few second cool down which meant it took some time to hand these out and added to that pre-raid tedium if you were trying to give these all out before engagement. Red was garbage and only gave some bonus hit points. Blue granted a ridiculously high mana regen, which was real handy if you were fighting something that drained mana or if someone just got rezzed and needed to regen quick. Green gave a flat damage bonus and was VERY good (I pretty much gave this out to everyone, regardless of class). Gold was rare and you could only have one of these in inventory, but it gave a 10 second massive damage/haste buff that once it ran out, the player would be stripped of all buffs and be stunned, so it was used for big DPS burns toward the end of certain fights (like Shendu and Sparkles).

That might've been a bit more detailed than you were looking for, but that's the synopsis of what I remember about the Vanguard blood mage. I can talk about Vanguard's bards a little too if interested, I just won't have quite as much to say since most of their cool and unique factor is in the song related stuff.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That's a dope post. Cool mix of mechanics for a class too. Thanks for the post!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gnoma posted:

And players all across the game basked in the anti-climax of the corpse poofing 30 seconds after it died, with no loot or rewards to commemorate the legendary kill.

It seems like it'd have taken 15 minutes to take the Sleeper boss model, scale it down to near-player size, change the texture to gold, and just have a dev spawn a trophy in if/when they beat the boss.

Even lower effort would be to add some IOUs to the loot table.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Vinestalk posted:

That's a dope post. Cool mix of mechanics for a class too. Thanks for the post!

Thanks! And it was a dope class. I had other healers and casters I played regularly but that combo of caster dps with healing was super fun.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Conceptually it's just a cool idea. Like necros in EQ could life tap and they had a dumb heal/self-dot thing that was practically useless and I think I've read that certain WoW classes ramped it up to have that damage->heals mechanic, but I know next to nothing about WoW. That blood mage stuff is wild, though, especially with the reverse health stealing mechanics on arcane damage.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
random EQ memory.

When I was 12 or 13, my ranger which I had geared meagerly through hours and hours (far more than actually like fighting and stuff) of trading in Gfay (trade center on bristlebane at the time) died in a zone adjoining the big one with bird people. I died and lost my corpse and all my gear, which was a lot to handle since my highest level was a 28 rogue and I had essentially swindled my way into a very mild twink.

I probably had the biggest ragequit reaction to a game I’ve ever had before or since. I proceeded to kill myself in gfay for over an hour. I deleveled my ranger from 25 to 9 in that time. I had so many bodies at the bottom of newbie elevator that I crashed the zone, it didn’t restart for over 30 minutes and I quit EQ for 6 months after that.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 11, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MechaCrash posted:

The major thing I know about Shadowbane is "the game's advertising was built to appeal specifically to the ganking assholes that ruined Ultima Online, the devs were then shocked that their player base consisted almost entirely of ganking assholes."

As for the failures, I didn't play it myself, but the major thing I know is someone was talking about the game after the fact and said "the devs gave us A-10s and expected us to continue with medieval siege warfare," or something to that effect.

But I would love to hear stories of Shadowbane tripping over its own feet.

I played shadowbane for years. From close to launch with a few breaks at times, to close to its death.

Like most MMOs at the time when I was a kid (still true really) I did not have the drive required to hit max level in grindy mmos back then, which was all of them.

So I kinda wandered SB aimlessly for months and months, I think I got the furthest on a bird man thief. Maybe in the early 20s. I would camp leveling groups invisible with their hide ability, try my luck at pickpocketing their gold and poo poo and when they caught on eventually I would try to kill ambush their squishy casters when they were in the middle of a fight. If I got them, id quickly loot them and try to fly away.

This didn’t work that often, stealing was hard and if they knew I was there they’d probably stop pulling and either try to aoe to knock me out of stealth or just sit there.

I was pretty vindictive back then though and would just wait. And wait. As soon as they would start to fight I’d do something to let them know I was still there… and they’d stop fighting again and we’d go back into the standoff. I would do that poo poo for hours, laughing my 15 year old rear end off wasting my and their time doing basically nothing.

Eventually they released a Test server in SB. I don’t remember exactly when, but I was still playing so it must have been pretty early. The thing about test was that it was dramatically faster to level (and gold? Don’t remember). It was ostensibly a server for patch and mechanics testing. One of the other benefits of test was that it had server wipes periodically built in due to its nature, which was eventually important for SBs health. Test also became the most popular server by far after a bit.

Test was extremely my poo poo . So much so that I fell in with 3 other dudes on the launch day of the server and we hit max level in one day and ended up founding a clan called Whisper of the Wind. We would go on to dominate test server for a long time.

I’ll write up more about what running a server dominating clan was like, what the politics were like, and other poo poo some other time.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 11, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tabletops posted:

trading in Gfay (trade center on bristlebane at the time)

And I thought the servers that had it in North Freeport were hosed up.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Groovelord Neato posted:

And I thought the servers that had it in North Freeport were hosed up.

It wasn’t bad! The wiz spire being there made it really convenient. I honestly always thought it made more sense than the ecommons tunnel just because gfay is pretty much 100% safe and very accessible w the spire. No zoning to get into kelethin either which just made it more convenient.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Tabletops posted:

It wasn’t bad! The wiz spire being there made it really convenient. I honestly always thought it made more sense than the ecommons tunnel just because gfay is pretty much 100% safe and very accessible w the spire. No zoning to get into kelethin either which just made it more convenient.

on Mithaniel Marr we did North Freeport. It was okay but kind of a pain to get to.

GFay seemed like it sucked for any evil races who wanted to get there on foot. Tunnel was a much better neutral ground in that sense.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

cmdrk posted:

on Mithaniel Marr we did North Freeport. It was okay but kind of a pain to get to.

GFay seemed like it sucked for any evil races who wanted to get there on foot. Tunnel was a much better neutral ground in that sense.

Mithaniel Marr bros! :hfive: N. Freeport was fine and good. I know E. Commonlands was the standard on most servers, but it has always felt weird to me.

At some point I decided I wanted to be an evil druid, so I tanked my factions with the FP guards by killing the guards in the commonlands and quad-kiting the dwarves at the docks in Butcherblock. The freedom in EQ was really something else. Has there been a game since with such a robust and often superfluous faction system?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Veeshan was also NFP and I've always been a fan of it over EC. First of all it has a freaking bank. I've always hated EC for this reason alone. The area around the bank was also designed as a market so it felt natural as well. Since it was market you could also trade skill while trading. Evil races could get into NFP via sewers and it was fine. It was also trivial to get non KOS to NFP just by killing corrupt guards in WFP or commons. Or my preferred method was just getting a hit in on Lucan when he was being killed.

ECs only better due to its location as a good crossroads of basically every race but NFP was just two zones further and you have to use NFP or Neriak to bank anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

cmdrk posted:

Oh yeah it sucked for foot traffic though it wasn’t impossible, I’ve ran a few ogres there.

But yeah. Wizards made a lot of money on bb porting. There was so much demand.