Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I knew I was hooked in EQ when I was brave enough to take my first character, a level 10 high elf paladin, to a strange and dangerous new city called Freeport. I made it past the roaming ogres in Butcherblock and made it all the way to the docks. I got on the boat and decided to explore the lower hold of the ship. A few moments after zoning into the Ocean of Tears, I fell through the bottom of the boat. I swam and swam, my stamina eventually depleted, and I gave up, sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

It was devastating. I tried to get my corpse back somehow, but failed. I wandered around Faydwer naked and afraid until I realized the only path forward was to roll a new character. A hard lesson learned, but it defined that game (and all MMOs) for me forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Justaddwater posted:

Shorter video about Project M (man that was fun the week or so it was in the game) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_qJxw5bCg

I loved playing as an NPC for that brief moment in time. I wish they did something more with it.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
That brings back memories and is awesome.

I miss EQ and also know I will never have the time as an actual adult to play a game like it again, even if one were to magically exist.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
In EQ, there was also tons of little things in the game that suggested deep lore. I would certainly love to hear what folks actually figured out based on the little in-game clues. I'm sure most of it was incomplete, incomprehensible garbage, but I found it fascinating at the time. Like the neon graffiti in Neriak or the weird stuff with Mayong Mistmoore.

Oh, and Tower of Frozen Shadow, that place captivated me, but felt unfinished and forgotten.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 9, 2021

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

gnoma posted:

Fighting the ghosts also revealed additional weirdness. One type of ghost was what you'd expect, hostile and undead. Another type of ghost was indifferent/non-aggro and was usually undead. I could get to amiable faction with them using the enchanter faction raising spell. Some of them would then /con indifferent after casting invis to undead, which was standard when NPCs couldn't see you due to an invis spell. Other ghosts, sharing the same faction, would stay amiable with invis to undead up, which meant they weren't flagged as undead. So there were angry ghosts and non-angry ghosts and non-angry ghosts that secretly weren't ghosts. And none of it meant anything, because that's how EverQuest went.

But, what if it did mean something...

That was one of the things that always fascinated me about EQ. All of these weird factions made you wonder about deeper plots to be discovered for these NPCs. At best it was an unfinished, half-thought dream. In reality it was probably a mistake or convenient work around for some technical issue.

For instance, this random guy, Barodreth Firefingers lives in Erudin, gives out newbie crafting quests, and is an absolute unit. For some reason though, he is on three factions for the elves, who live on the other side of the world. One of those factions is 'King Tearis Thex', the king of the high elves, who barely ever made any appearance in the game, despite apparently being alive and a part of the game since it's beginning.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Were all the mobs in VP on the same faction? I feel like I grinded the VP faction on my druid at some point so I could go in there and not be KOS. I may be misremembering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

cmdrk posted:

on Mithaniel Marr we did North Freeport. It was okay but kind of a pain to get to.

GFay seemed like it sucked for any evil races who wanted to get there on foot. Tunnel was a much better neutral ground in that sense.

Mithaniel Marr bros! :hfive: N. Freeport was fine and good. I know E. Commonlands was the standard on most servers, but it has always felt weird to me.

At some point I decided I wanted to be an evil druid, so I tanked my factions with the FP guards by killing the guards in the commonlands and quad-kiting the dwarves at the docks in Butcherblock. The freedom in EQ was really something else. Has there been a game since with such a robust and often superfluous faction system?