Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Over the years, i've been trying to collect weird oral history stuff from MMOs.

One item of fascination to me is, "The Most Important Event in Raiding History" which saw McQuaid take on a guild that had glitched an unfinished raid to complete it and then got banned. The email exchange is super fascinating and the reason it is called, "The Most Important Event in Raiding History" is because the outcome would pave the way for super strict ToS.

I had grabbed this off of Elitist Jerks before they replaced their UI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eam0z21sufcn37a/The%20most%20important%20event%20in%20raiding%20history%20-%20full%20-ui%20.pdf?dl=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

30.5 Days posted:

Man, is there anywhere left to see the blog posts brad posted about that event & the reaction? I can't imagine posting "just kidding we banned them for doing poo poo you all do all the time" went over well.

Some of it you can find on Archive.org. The video game history foundation might also have some material but I don’t know if they’ve really dug into mmos quite yet.