Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

I completely agree with you but there is zero chance anyone in the P5 is agreeing with any system that eliminates the chance to get more then one of their teams into a playoff.

No doubt. Which is why :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Death to the NCAA.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The current 4 team system has one major flaw, and that is that it allows more than 1 team from a conference in. Alabama and Georgia both got in a few years ago, and the media projections have both of these teams in again. Of course, a lot can change, but to some degree, the playoff selection is a self-fulfilling prophesy. I do think we'll see Alabama again, but I'm also confident that this is the year we see three different teams than usual.

Four teams is unsatisfactory and 12 just seems way too many. I think people made compelling arguments for 12 earlier in the summer though, but I'd still rather see the regular season and conference championship continue to play a decisive role in playoff selection. Part of the excitement of college football is that your conference championship/playoff/bowl status can change in one game. You can lose week 5 in the NFL and still rebound and win the division. Penn State loses to Iowa in three weeks, and maybe they're out of it, even if they win out. It kind of sucks, but there's so much greater exhilaration in winning any single game in college football than pro sports.

I think a 12 team playoff would be more effective if we returned to smaller conferences with round-robin scheduling. That's not going to happen though. If they were to expand to 8 or 12 teams, I think they need to install a more rigid set of conditionals:

-No more than 2 teams from a conference.
-Ideally, those teams shouldn't have played each other. Let's say OSU is a 1 loss team that lost to PSU. PSU plays Iowa [again] in the Big Ten Championship game and loses the rematch after winning in the regular season. Iowa goes to the playoff, but OSU might also, having not played Iowa at all. So you've got a 12-1 Iowa with 1 win and 1 loss to PSU and 11-1 OSU with a loss to PSU. PSU can't get an at-large because no one wants to see a third game in the playoffs.
-Try to avoid any playoff rematches for teams that played OOC. If Auburn runs the table and finishes 12-1 in the SEC, they get an autobid as conference champ. But if they didn't win the conference, the don't get an at-large, if Penn State (who beat them) is also in the playoffs.
-No carve-out for Notre Dame or Independents.

Honestly, I don't think you can have as many as 12 teams and still conform to these requirements. You'll end up having 2 teams from as many as 4 or 5 conferences, plus 2 at-large G5 teams. The SEC and Big Ten will throw their weight around and try to get 3 teams in. No one wants to watch that.

edit:

The more interesting the playoffs are, the more people (particularly those who aren't fans) tune in. The playoff ratings have been dipping for several years. People are tired of the same teams getting in almost every year. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-playoff-ratings-bcs/

Komet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 23, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BradLoganCOTE/status/1440846757160574980?s=19

Guess I'll just die then

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So they're going to go from 8 to 12 to maybe 16 just like that?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The fact that OSU and Bama can make it without even winning their division means that the margins are not that tight for them. They only play maybe 3 games a year against teams that have a legitimate shot and they can drop one of those, not win their division or conference, and still make it in.

Getting to bypass a conference championship game is a huge advantage for certain programs.

I agree ohio state shouldn't have been selected in 2016 but I don't think anyone really got screwed by it. Every other P5 team lost twice. The problem was that only 3 teams deserved to be in it, not that more than 4 did. And the next up were Penn St, Michigan, and Oklahoma, so its not as if big12 champ Iowa State got hosed there.

quote:

But according to you the NCAA season is tight so losing at most 2 games end it and for the most part we know who the playoff teams are like 3 weeks in.

i think people mistake the recent dominance of Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson and the resulting predictability of the playoff teams as a function of the playoff format. They've just largely been the best teams lately, but that won't last forever, or probably much longer at least collectively.

I agree with whoever posted that Notre Dame (and other independents) shouldn't be eligible for the playoffs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

No doubt. Which is why :guillotine:

If you did 8 teams with each p5 conference champ then you could keep the stupid traditional bowl game tie-ins too!

It would probably have the effect of making the g5 games glorified play-in games but it just seems like a way to make the most people the most happy to me.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Big XII will be a mediocre monstrosity stretching from Boise to Orlando.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t get why people have a problem with independents being eligible for at-large bids

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

General Dog posted:

I don’t get why people have a problem with independents being eligible for at-large bids

My opinion is strictly based on screwing Notre Dame.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Well i guess the g5 doesn't really need a path to the playoffs if every relevant g5 team is just gonna join the big12 anyway :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Southern Miss has been dead and bloated since Fedora left. What do they bring to the table at all?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems weird to me that they’d do expansion in two stages just a few weeks apart.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Seriously, Southern Miss? Bring in the Aztecs, I'd take a roadie to San Diego.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

And expanded playoff provides more meaningful games between good teams and novel matchups and because I like football I think that’s good. Maybe if you don’t actually like football that would be bad.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Man I thought about going to maybe the last ever Texas/TTU in-conference game but fuuuuuuuuuuck that 11 AM kickoff time

I am so loving glad we are getting out of this horrible frankenstein conference

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like being proud of being a bottom feeder in a good conference is weird

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

they just don't like notre dame it is never about notre dame's almost always actually good resume

Which is shortsighted because Alabama is going to turn someone into paste in the first round anyway and it's way more fun when it's Notre Dame.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Just had to repeat it on this page the NFL sucks and is boring.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd rather suck in the SEC than suck maybe slightly less in (what's left of) the Big 12

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I would like for the G5 to get a guaranteed slot so my G5 school can get more money and our football program be the biggest deal.

Also I'm offended my Sun Belt school isn't being courted by the AAC or Big12. gently caress you guys we didn't want you either anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like being proud of being a bottom feeder in a good conference is weird

I look forward to it.

*ahem*

S-E-C S-E-C

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

General Dog posted:

I don't really think anyone should be in the playoffs unless they're in a power conference and generally unless they win that power conference so that includes independents, to me. Notre Dame at least basically plays a p5 schedule, so its not really a major problem or anything, but its just kind of pointlessly clunky if they're keeping a conference champ out with the same record.

I. M. Gei posted:

I'd rather suck in the SEC than suck maybe slightly less in (what's left of) the Big 12

same. also texas will at some point, perhaps even in our lifetimes, not suck. Probably.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 23, 2021

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
CJ Stroud's shoulder is apparently bad enough we're sitting him against Akron.

Henderson gonna go off again.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Dude is gonna go off every week no matter what.

It is in no way surprising he went to OSU over VT but man it always sucks watching top VA talent go kill it somewhere else esp when we were high on him too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

Seriously, Southern Miss? Bring in the Aztecs, I'd take a roadie to San Diego.

We have good tacos and weather and a new stadium!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheGreyGhost posted:

CJ Stroud's shoulder is apparently bad enough we're sitting him against Akron.

Thank god Master Teague got benched. Dude had Trent Richardson type vision. I still think Williams will also be a good back next to Henderson.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rad Valtar posted:

Thank god Master Teague got benched. Dude had Trent Richardson type vision. I still think Williams will also be a good back next to Henderson.

Williams is literally just what I wanted out of Teague--decent speed but just runs like an angry bag of hammers. As bad as Teague's vision is, the thing that makes me the craziest is just how slow he is to the line anymore.

Listening to Tim Brando's insanely lovely call last week where they spent all the time complaining about "kids these days" and wondered where Master Teague was made me realize how happy I am that we don't seem to be doing the Urban Meyer "he's a senior so he plays" bullshit right now. A world where we start Teague and the oldest LBs on the team might put me in the hospital this year.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

+1
At first I was wondering why in the gently caress you would leave the Big 12, only to see how much of a clownshow it would end up as. Goddamn.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I. M. Gei posted:

Might be time to prophylactically form a support group with some Tennessee, Arky, South Carolina, and Kentucky fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Might be time to prophylactically form a support group with some Tennessee, Arky, South Carolina, and Kentucky fans.

Wow there was more here than I expected.

LSU/Auburn (three times)/Texas/Florida/South Carolina/Georgia Will Muschamp appreciation stations in the SEC once Texas joins. Obviously as an assistant for most of those.

e: Oh my god

quote:

On February 3, 2021, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart announced that Muschamp had been hired as an analyst. Smart claimed Muschamp would work with the defense and "help coach the coaches."

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 23, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Robert Facepalmer posted:

+1
At first I was wondering why in the gently caress you would leave the Big 12, only to see how much of a clownshow it would end up as. Goddamn.

The additions the conference had made thus far are fairly unimpeachable. If OU and Texas’ eventual departure was inevitable, what they’ve done since has made the best out of a bad situation.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Wow there was more here than I expected.

LSU/Auburn (three times)/Texas/Florida/South Carolina/Georgia Will Muschamp appreciation stations in the SEC once Texas joins. Obviously as an assistant for most of those.

e: Oh my god

Oh I meant mostly just from the sucking in the SEC And How Fulfilling It Really Is, but I didn't even think about the Muschamp angle.

To your edit, he loving played Safety at UGA lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

boop the snoot posted:

This is why eight teams is a solid compromise imho.

Five P5 conference champs + 3 G5s arbitrarily picked because people like to argue.

Independents aren’t allowed (suck it Notre Dame).

Winning your conference makes the regular season still matter.

I believe this would’ve kept Alabama from a title.

No at-larges would be hilarious if only for the Texas / Oklahoma schadenfreude.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

General Dog posted:

The additions the conference had made thus far are fairly unimpeachable.
Then you have Boise State potentially coming into the fold. I will say, the potential of them having a big boy schedule and just getting absolutely annihilated year in, year out is delicious, but I am sure there will be (even more) scheduling shenanigans to ensure high rankings.

Conferences were a fuckin' mistake.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Why doesn't anyone want our basketball or football

https://twitter.com/GoAztecs/status/1440801597051719684?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Why doesn't anyone want our basketball or football

I think your location is just a dealbreaker other than the Pac 12, who obviously won't be interested unless a whole lot of stuff goes sideways.

Unless the AAC takes up my idea and adds four western teams and just figures things out while adding to their crazy spread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Then you have Boise State potentially coming into the fold. I will say, the potential of them having a big boy schedule and just getting absolutely annihilated year in, year out is delicious, but I am sure there will be (even more) scheduling shenanigans to ensure high rankings.

Conferences were a fuckin' mistake.

I think you highly overestimate the skill level of most conferences outside the top

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I think your location is just a dealbreaker other than the Pac 12, who obviously won't be interested unless a whole lot of stuff goes sideways.

Unless the AAC takes up my idea and adds four western teams and just figures things out while adding to their crazy spread.

I could buy the location thing if not for BOISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still thing Penn State would have at least scored on Clemson in 2016, through the power and will of Saquon, unlike Ohio State.