Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm a Lions fan so I can tell you the outcome of a season 10 years in advance

Go ahead, try me

They lose 90% of their games, and get absolutely destroyed Thanksgiving day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Who What Now posted:

They lose 90% of their games, and get absolutely destroyed Thanksgiving day

I was gonna go with "don't make the playoffs" but these are correct too

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Fans of the Las Vegas Raiders connecting. Do you have a problem with that?

The raiders have fans that aren’t in prison?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Julius CSAR posted:

The raiders have fans that aren’t in prison?

some of us are free now. Thank you very much

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
you are correct that we are all dirtbags, though

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This is gonna sound very “hand-egg”y of me or whatever, but is there some data about how much money is spent on NFL every year? Like, by the fans, by the teams, by the metropolitan areas, by advertising and other businesses, etc? Just feels like it’s gonna be widely disproportionate to the amount we spend on other things of similar importance

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just racists itt racistly watching the racist sport full of non white millionaires racistly kneeling for justice, while racistly wearing END RACISM helmets on a racist field that racistly says IT TAKES ALL OF US in the end zone

You should all be ashamed

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Brother Tadger posted:

This is gonna sound very “hand-egg”y of me or whatever, but is there some data about how much money is spent on NFL every year? Like, by the fans, by the teams, by the metropolitan areas, by advertising and other businesses, etc? Just feels like it’s gonna be widely disproportionate to the amount we spend on other things of similar importance

if other things were worthy of billions of dollars NBC and Fox and Amazon would give them a contract

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Just racists itt racistly watching the racist sport full of non white millionaires racistly kneeling for justice, while racistly wearing END RACISM helmets on a racist field that racistly says IT TAKES ALL OF US in the end zone

I am. for this and other reasons

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

Very few of them are actually millionaires, and almost none of them will be after their careers end when they can't get any jobs to pay for the medical bills incurred from playing football. They aren't all getting Patrick Mahomes money.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Very few of them are actually millionaires, and almost none of them will be after their careers end when they can't get any jobs to pay for the medical bills incurred from playing football. They aren't all getting Patrick Mahomes money.

Literal minimum salary this year is $610,000 so yes a player won't be a millionaire if they only play one or two years but most players are unless they totally blow it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

Literal minimum salary this year is $610,000 so yes a player won't be a millionaire if they only play one or two years but most players are unless they totally blow it

Yeah turns out that people in a sport that turns your brains into mashed potatoes aren't financial wizards. Also the millions in medical bills.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Yeah turns out that people in a sport that turns your brains into mashed potatoes aren't financial wizards. Also the millions in medical bills.

I think the NFL pays for that now. Took a whole lot of broken brains to make them

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
feeling pretty breezy in my silver and black sunday sundress, tastefully accessoried with a purse full of cheese its and beers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

If you want to hear that the NFL still has problems, hell yeah they do. We should probably ban childhood tackle football too

That's a far cry from "sports are for racists"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stalizard posted:

feeling pretty breezy in my silver and black sunday sundress, tastefully accessoried with a purse full of cheese its and beers

grandma escaped. Don't worry, I'll go get her

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Remember when 99% of the players were getting CTE and the NFL covered it up so they wouldn’t have to change the rules and the players could all continue to get permanent brain damage for the entertainment of the fans.

That’s not still happening is it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

Remember when 99% of the players were getting CTE and the NFL covered it up so they wouldn’t have to change the rules and the players could all continue to get permanent brain damage for the entertainment of the fans.

That’s not still happening is it?

it is, but they are sad about it now

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
American football is just rugby for dumb wimps. Why does a game take like four hours or something?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

American football is just rugby for dumb wimps. Why does a game take like four hours or something?

tv commercials. it is actually only 60 minutes

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
There's a NFL show Wednesday night's on Nickelodeon now so I guess everything's been fixed

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

Don't forget the jingoism.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

we never can

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Football is a turn based jrpg and a lot of real world time passes loving around in the menus but the players are only "active" for an hour

(plus possible overtime and some other stuff)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Murdstone posted:

That's rarely broadcast except in big games.

Also there's a difference between patriotism and jingoism. Most games have the anthem, only big games have military poo poo and flyovers and whatnot

Oddly that poo poo is really all just capitalism because the military pays them to do that stuff. Not that that's much better

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Also there's a difference between patriotism and jingoism. Most games have the anthem, only big games have military poo poo and flyovers and whatnot

Oddly that poo poo is really all just capitalism because the military pays them to do that stuff. Not that that's much better

they haven't done that for a while because the military can't afford it anymore
lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

I think it's the military stuff that makes it more jingoistic than just plain old patriotism, but in the current atmosphere almost any overt display of patriotism bothers me more than it used to so I'm probably not the best one to answer that.

Also I'm not sure but I think most games have a lot of military poo poo but it's not televised so you don't see it much at home.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Murdstone posted:

Also I'm not sure but I think most games have a lot of military poo poo but it's not televised so you don't see it much at home.

Yeah could be but lol at going to the covidbowl

99% of people just watch on TV

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

If you want to hear that the NFL still has problems, hell yeah they do. We should probably ban childhood tackle football too

That's a far cry from "sports are for racists"

Yeah "sports are for racists" is pretty dumb.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

tv commercials. it is actually only 60 minutes

According to some website
"An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes."

Lol, Americans will sit there for three hours being advertised at to watch 10 minutes of a sport that's not even that good of a sport. It's worse than cricket.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Go Birds

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Which player is likely to beat his wife in a concussion fueled rage first?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

baalaagaa posted:

Which player is likely to beat his wife in a concussion fueled rage first?

I think you mean “next”

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I love watching football

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Hey look the Lions lost

The defense has more holes than chud lungs infected with COVID

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think they should not havr traded stafford for goff. I mean either way they would have lost, but i think rams really got the better deal there

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
detroit is cool though because u can buy a home there unlike in California haahah kill me

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nooner posted:

I think they should not havr traded stafford for goff. I mean either way they would have lost, but i think rams really got the better deal there

I hope Stafford wins a ring and I sincerely mean it

I mean hell it's a multi-year rebuilding process so we'll see what happens

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I thought the Manning broadcast was fun, it was like watching the game with my friends if my friends were one of the finest offensive minds in a generation and some dopey nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
love 2 mash my brain into paste