Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Hey everyone how did my auto draft do.

"Logs in*

*Logs out*

that was a great source of amusement in the draft

The problem is that the default Yahoo budget is much lower than what we use so if you don't preset values you're pretty much not going to get anyone. I guess you could add a bunch of young guys and prepare for next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Isn't that always the case, though? I think the auto draft just figured it need to watch their spending in the flat cap era.

Only bidding on Kane was a lovely touch.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

that was a great source of amusement in the draft

The problem is that the default Yahoo budget is much lower than what we use so if you don't preset values you're pretty much not going to get anyone. I guess you could add a bunch of young guys and prepare for next year?

Yeah, I think I'm going to go this route. I have no choice. I'll play the waiver wire and hope to grab some young guys.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Just pretend you're an expansion team

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
$412 FAAB budget baby

fancy stats posted:

Isn't that always the case, though? I think the auto draft just figured it need to watch their spending in the flat cap era.

Only bidding on Kane was a lovely touch.

The autodrafters in the past had probably set their values.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
1. (16) Jake Guentzel (Pit - LW,RW) $57
2. (29) Sebastian Aho (Car - C) $101
3. (45) Philipp Grubauer (Sea - G) $69
4. (61) Elvis Merzlikins (Cls - G) $35
5. (88) Ivan Provorov (Phi - D) $22
6. (93) Zach Werenski (Cls - D) $17
7. (109) Matt Dumba (Min - D) $22
8. (114) Vladimir Tarasenko (StL - RW) $12
9. (125) Jean-Gabriel Pageau (NYI - C) $9
10. (127) Alec Martinez (VGK - D) $18
11. (141) Sean Monahan (Cgy - C) $12
12. (157) Anders Lee (NYI - LW) $9
13. (172) Josh Anderson (Mon - RW) $1
14. (186) Kailer Yamamoto (Edm - RW) $1
15. (229) Martin Necas  (Car - C,RW) $2
16. (230) Adam Fox  (NYR - D) $38
17. (231) Nikita Kucherov  (TB - RW) $28
18. (232) Kirill Kaprizov  (Min - LW,RW) $41

My strategy last year was tank for good keepers. I was successful. My strategy going into this draft was to use that money on a top tier center. After the rush of the elite, I zeroed in on Aho, and paid slightly more than I wanted. I should have passed on Guentzel, but he went for a price that I could not say no to. My goalie, Grubauer, was the result of me realizing that after Hellebuyck, he was the guy I wanted. Again, I paid more than I wanted.

I don't believe in Tarasenko, but for $12, I am willing to see what he does.

The rest of the draft was me trying to build a tough defense, and then also realizing that I needed a second center. Josh Norris was the guy I was targetting, so I avoided going in on Hischier and others, but then Norris went for way more than I could pay. So, I ended up with...Pageau. And Monahan as a 3C. Obviously, Pageau is not there to put up points.

The end of my draft was just me going "alright, let's see".

I tried for a more balanced team this year than in year's past, and I am unsure if I did that. My goalies are huge question marks (although, this is a common theme among every team, I'd bet), and I am banking on guys like Monahan and Tarasenko to rebound, so we will see how this all plays out.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Forgot to post my LSL draft

Miss Chanandler Bong

1. (15) Aleksander Barkov
2. (26) Igor Shesterkin
3. (55) Linus Ullmark
4. (66) Quinn Hughes
5. (95) Nick Suzuki
6. (106) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
7. (135) Torey Krug
8. (146) William Nylander
9. (175) Chandler Stephenson
10. (186) Christian Dvorak
11. (215) Radko Gudas
12. (226) Pavel Zacha
13. (255) Alexandar Georgiev
14. (266) Filip Hronek
15. (295) Paul Stastny
16. (306) Jesper Bratt
17. (335) Tyler Bertuzzi
18. (346) Gabriel Vilardi
19. (375) Filip Chytil
20. (386) Moritz Seider
21. (415) Troy Terry
22. (426) James Reimer
23. (455) Brandon Carlo

I was drafting on my phone at a Thanksgiving dinner and then driving back and had no sheet so it was basically just adding a pile of guys I recognized to my queue, taking who was left, then repeating with the next batch of players. I missed out on the start of the goalie rush due to draft order, but tried to make sure my starts would be covered and then just focused on positional flexibility and centers.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Yaya posted:

Basically every defenseman I drafted is going to be seeing PP1 time so that should be good for the PPP category. Stoked about Dahlin for $6 and Kakko's underlyings are just too good for him to not eventually break out (David Quinn being gone also helps).

All I have to do is believe in Carter Hart. Oh no.

Hey just a quick update on this it's not going great

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yaya posted:

FBS posted:

The goalie situation in LSL is a crime against humanity. The UN should intervene.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yahoo is pushing their Research Assistant, and it's suggesting that I drop Tarasenko for someone named Garnet Hathaway.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Gotta trust the expert opinion.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Would've lost week 1 goalie stats anyway but it's annoying that I didn't get 3 starts combined out of my guys in a few leagues because some teams only had 1 game.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, I think like every other season we've played have had extended week 1's to offset the early season scheduling quirks. Stuck hoping Ottawa saves my rear end today instead.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
oh I thought the double week was always a thing?? :(

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Good chance I go 0-12 in HHL which I'm not too stoked about

Maybe a longer week would have helped but also, 0-12 is 0-12

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I am doing a fantasy league for first time ever, but made a huge fuckup on draft day by stepping away from the computer and grabbing a drink from the fridge. Sat back down to see the timer on my next pick with about 3 seconds remaining and it auto picked Jack eichel because I was too dumb to realise there was a Do Not Draft list beforehand.

He's just been chilling on my one available IR slot which I now want to put Mike Smith on. Should I just bite the bullet and drop Eichel completely and pick best available C? I can't see him playing a single game this season realistically, or it'll be so many months before he does play a game that I'm just handicapping myself while he's out so long.

Non goalie stats our league counts are G, A, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK.

Here are best available forwards for C slot sorted by current rankings:

Boone Jenner Cls - C,LW
Evan Rodrigues Pit - C,RW
Radek Faksa Dal - C
Matt Duchene Nsh - C,RW
Tyler Johnson Chi - C,RW
Mikael Granlund Nsh - C,RW
Adam Henrique Anh - C,LW

Any advice? Thinking of just doing the obvious and dropping eichel to grab Boone Jenner as I don't currently have anyone on Columbus at all and Jenner has started strong? Next question is then what to do once I put Mike Smith on IR? Reimer and Craig Anderson are available (my current squad is Nedeljkovic, Talbot and the injured Smith). Goalie stats tracked are just Win, SV% and Shutouts. Can't see Anderson maintaining a .900+ save percentage playing for buffalo but he'll get plenty of starts at least? We need minimum 3 games played per week across all goalies which hasn't been a struggle yet.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

While I myself would probably hold onto Eichel just a tiny bit longer to see if any news comes out about him, I wouldn't really argue with you about dropping him. Especially since your IR slot is going to become needed.

Since FW don't matter, I'd just ride a hot hand. Jenner is probably the best bet in your format, and he is on the top line/PP unit for Columbus. May be worth riding out.

As for the goalies. Again, just ride the hot hand. Anderson is not the guy I want long-term, but you may as well see how long he can keep this up for.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's really hard to know what to do with players who are Out or on IR due to COVID. There are a couple guys I've probably held on to longer than I should and it's costing me points.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's really hard to know what to do with players who are Out or on IR due to COVID. There are a couple guys I've probably held on to longer than I should and it's costing me points.

IR+ if they're worth anything at all. Probably drop otherwise unless it's like the Longstick League where the waiver is complete trash.

My LSL team is horrific this year. yeah I'm hurt a little bit by Crosby and Meier being out right now but I'm not sure how much it matters.

My hockiest team is doing OK. 9th. I feel like it should be doing better. My underlying totals are fairly solid. I guess we'll see how the next few weeks go.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like my teams in HHL and LSL are both underperforming. The HHL team in particular. I ended up a bit heavy on rookies there and Samsonov has been Not Great so far. My LSL team dropped from 5th to 10th because I lost every category despite good performances that would probably have won me most other matchups. Still only week 5 of 21 though so there's plenty of time for them to turn it around.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like my teams in HHL and LSL are both underperforming. The HHL team in particular. I ended up a bit heavy on rookies there and Samsonov has been Not Great so far. My LSL team dropped from 5th to 10th because I lost every category despite good performances that would probably have won me most other matchups. Still only week 5 of 21 though so there's plenty of time for them to turn it around.

I literally didn't win a category this past week in the LSL lol. Things are dire for me. Somehow I'm not dead last despite that, so there's that.

Chychrun is minus 20 for me on my HHL which is incredible. I really don't want to drop him though since he had a solid year last year. I feel like I'm gonna ride this out at least a little longer. But holy poo poo is he bad. No points too. I don't get it.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

I can deal with getting absolutely blown out, but I'm fuming that I lost out so badly on hits and PIMs. I didn't spend all this time drafting big dumb idiots only for them not to play like big dumb idiots.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Used to be there was an enforcer on most teams you could count on to get into a couple of staged fights a week. I'm glad those days are over but it does mean that PIM is much more of a crapshoot, most of the current league leaders got over 50% of their season total in one game.

I dunno what the appetite is for removing the category but now I just ignore PIMs post-draft, most designated meatheads are a liability on roster when some guy can get 17 minutes in one game and then only get a couple more in a month.

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 8, 2021

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i've managed to build a capable team in HHL that is completely deficient in both assists and PPP. although only having one functional goaltender is probably gonna burn me at some point

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
One week and I managed to rocket back up a bunch in LSL and HHL.

LSL especially, winning 14-0 will help a lot.

My HHL team has a lot of work left to do, with that 9-1 win they're only in 13th lol.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Until further notice, my expensive drafted goalie, Grabauer, is riding the bench in favour of Elvis Merzlikins and...Quick? Sure, why not.

Three of my waiver wire pick-ups have been pretty valuable for me: Henrique, Hartman, and now Quick. This is perfectly sustainable while Kucherov is out for longer.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have no idea what to do with Samsonov in HHL. There aren't really any better options available but it's quickly looking like he might be 3rd string on Washington soon.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have no idea what to do with Samsonov in HHL. There aren't really any better options available but it's quickly looking like he might be 3rd string on Washington soon.

I’d keep him for now. I don’t trust Fucale yet, and it’s not like Vanecek is doing amazing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm not ready to drop spencer knight yet but uhh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Thatcher Demko not doing me any favors this week :mad:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Yaya posted:

Hey coming back with another update it turns out Carter Hart is good again

My LSL team is a disaster but it was also an autodraft so I'm not too broken up about it. Goaltending being bad when I got Hellebuyck and Varlamov is a shocker, though

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

somebody in hhl should trade me a winger/defenseman for farabee + buchnevich/one of my defensemen tia

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
are they really cheap or something

I think my HHL team is hosed now. It wasn't doing great to begin with but my players have been breaking all season. Just had to drop Compher and now Barkov is the latest who is out for weeks. I don't even have room for him on the IR to get someone to plug in because my IR is already full with players I don't want to drop (Price and Byram). I feel like my team's not that bad either, aside from goaltending, so I'm not sure why they're doing so poorly.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

farabee has a year left at $3, buchnevich is $47 next year with another year left after that, and all my defensemen are $1 guys. i would really like to package something together to open a spot for forsberg who is hopefully not dead ans back soonish.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My teams already breaking down so I'm already thinking about keepers so I'm interested in Farabee. Don't think there's a trade that makes sense for us though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

all of your d men are pretty great i think i could be down to swap farabee for one of them, any of them that are partway competent in hits and blocks would be an upgrade over scandella

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

On draft day, little did I know that my goaltending would be led by the undrafted Jonathan Quick.

I went after Grubauer, but now I am longingly looking at Sorokin, wishing I kept him over Necas.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

On draft day, little did I know that my goaltending would be led by the undrafted Jonathan Quick.

I went after Grubauer, but now I am longingly looking at Sorokin, wishing I kept him over Necas.

I picked up Quick one Saturday a few weeks back to get to 3 starts, probs should have kept him.

Varlomov started injured and now is being meh at best as a 1b behind Sorokin (certainly not providing value for $65..). Petersen and Vanecek are also looking 1b’s as well, not having anyone I can rely on for a good game is frustrating.

End result is trio that has only got me 8 wins in 6 weeks..

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
"Taking Driedger in HHL might start paying off for me given how Grubauer's season has started." - My dumb rear end, on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

just sent out an assload of trades in HHL trying to pick up a defenseman, if you got one check out my team and see if you think we can work something out