Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In the league you are in, Brady Tkachuk is definitely a guy to take high. How high? I am not sure. Not being signed worries me, and I'd also prefer to take elite scoring talent before I take him.

For the record, I always have trouble converting a player like Tkachuk's true worth against primarily scorers, which is why I lose the HHL every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If it's 14/16, then it's me and my buddy who haven't posted. We discussed it amongst ourselves yesterday, so I think I know who he is going with, but I will double check.

For me?

Kaprizov ($34 -> $41)
Kucherov ($23 -> $28)
Fox ($31 -> $38)
Necas ($1 -> $2)

Do we have to round up? Fox is actually $37.2, but I rounded up because I thought that was what we needed to do.

Had an issue not taking one of Sorokin or Suzuki, but I feel like Sorokin is still gonna only be the goalie 30% of the time, and Necas is just so much cheaper than Suzuki. Also sucks to lose Fiala, but I feel like Kaprizov is going to be the better player. I also usually don't take defensemen, but it's hard to resist keeping Fox.

Hopefully my "focus on keepers" strategy works out at the draft.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is it 20% or 25%, because when I multiply 1.2, I get 27.6 for Kucherov.

I would have thought Lafreniere would have been a definite keeper before the season started, but oh boy, what a season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My friend selects

Seguin ($19 -> $23)
Zacha ($1 -> $2)
Weegar ($1 -> $2)
Kuemper ($52 -> $63)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

1. (16) Jake Guentzel (Pit - LW,RW) $57
2. (29) Sebastian Aho (Car - C) $101
3. (45) Philipp Grubauer (Sea - G) $69
4. (61) Elvis Merzlikins (Cls - G) $35
5. (88) Ivan Provorov (Phi - D) $22
6. (93) Zach Werenski (Cls - D) $17
7. (109) Matt Dumba (Min - D) $22
8. (114) Vladimir Tarasenko (StL - RW) $12
9. (125) Jean-Gabriel Pageau (NYI - C) $9
10. (127) Alec Martinez (VGK - D) $18
11. (141) Sean Monahan (Cgy - C) $12
12. (157) Anders Lee (NYI - LW) $9
13. (172) Josh Anderson (Mon - RW) $1
14. (186) Kailer Yamamoto (Edm - RW) $1
15. (229) Martin Necas  (Car - C,RW) $2
16. (230) Adam Fox  (NYR - D) $38
17. (231) Nikita Kucherov  (TB - RW) $28
18. (232) Kirill Kaprizov  (Min - LW,RW) $41

My strategy last year was tank for good keepers. I was successful. My strategy going into this draft was to use that money on a top tier center. After the rush of the elite, I zeroed in on Aho, and paid slightly more than I wanted. I should have passed on Guentzel, but he went for a price that I could not say no to. My goalie, Grubauer, was the result of me realizing that after Hellebuyck, he was the guy I wanted. Again, I paid more than I wanted.

I don't believe in Tarasenko, but for $12, I am willing to see what he does.

The rest of the draft was me trying to build a tough defense, and then also realizing that I needed a second center. Josh Norris was the guy I was targetting, so I avoided going in on Hischier and others, but then Norris went for way more than I could pay. So, I ended up with...Pageau. And Monahan as a 3C. Obviously, Pageau is not there to put up points.

The end of my draft was just me going "alright, let's see".

I tried for a more balanced team this year than in year's past, and I am unsure if I did that. My goalies are huge question marks (although, this is a common theme among every team, I'd bet), and I am banking on guys like Monahan and Tarasenko to rebound, so we will see how this all plays out.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yahoo is pushing their Research Assistant, and it's suggesting that I drop Tarasenko for someone named Garnet Hathaway.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

While I myself would probably hold onto Eichel just a tiny bit longer to see if any news comes out about him, I wouldn't really argue with you about dropping him. Especially since your IR slot is going to become needed.

Since FW don't matter, I'd just ride a hot hand. Jenner is probably the best bet in your format, and he is on the top line/PP unit for Columbus. May be worth riding out.

As for the goalies. Again, just ride the hot hand. Anderson is not the guy I want long-term, but you may as well see how long he can keep this up for.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Until further notice, my expensive drafted goalie, Grabauer, is riding the bench in favour of Elvis Merzlikins and...Quick? Sure, why not.

Three of my waiver wire pick-ups have been pretty valuable for me: Henrique, Hartman, and now Quick. This is perfectly sustainable while Kucherov is out for longer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have no idea what to do with Samsonov in HHL. There aren't really any better options available but it's quickly looking like he might be 3rd string on Washington soon.

I’d keep him for now. I don’t trust Fucale yet, and it’s not like Vanecek is doing amazing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

On draft day, little did I know that my goaltending would be led by the undrafted Jonathan Quick.

I went after Grubauer, but now I am longingly looking at Sorokin, wishing I kept him over Necas.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

just sent out an assload of trades in HHL trying to pick up a defenseman, if you got one check out my team and see if you think we can work something out

What's your team name? I can take a look.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not great! Just when I felt like my team was starting to pick up steam too

Hopefully they are really just day-to-day.

My match with T-Bone was intense this week. Managed to come back and lead for a little bit coming into Sunday until his team of 7 Knights and Jets players just pulled ahead.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I'm embarrassed at how good my goaltending has been this season, lmao Jarry/Andersen?

If am really surprised you ended up with the best goaltending with those two.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Had three players go on IR in HHL today and none of them are guys I can drop (Barkov, Hischier, Thomas) very cool. I also already have Price on IR LT but I might honestly just drop him. Demko and Samsonov have been more than enough and I don't think even Carey can turn this Montreal season around.

This week and beyond, winning is going to be less about how good your roster is, and more on how lucky you are for having healthy players thanks to COVID and injuries.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Honestly it's already been that way for much of the season. All year so far my team has been sort-of-healthy but ultimately not healthy enough. Sometimes COVID sometimes not. I'm in 13th place out of the 16 teams but if you actually look at the totals for every category I'm in the middle of the pack for just about everything. What I'm saying is my team's true talent level is more like 9th place.

Also Byram just went from DTD to IR, and he's another guy I don't want to drop, so now my roster looks like this:

My roster is also hit hard. Which sucks because my team was just turning it around. Last night, I had 10 of my 17 skaters out either due to injury, or the game was postponed because of COVID.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yaya posted:

Just as I expected my goaltending is being carried by Anthony Stolarz at the moment

I am sure I have mentioned it in this thread, but my goaltending is currently being carried by Jonathan Quick. Merzlikins started the season hot but has been garbage recently, and before dropping Grabauer, I don't think I started him since October.

Jonathan Quick, lol.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I thought I was secure heading into the year with my goaltending. I drafted Grubauer and Merzlikins. I dropped Grubauer months ago, and Merzlikins hasn't had a month over .900 since November. I am now relying on Matt Murray and Quick, in addition to Merzlikins.

I hate goalies.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's Friday and I still haven't a goalie start thanks to Merzilikins and Murray going down with injury.

I am starting an actual real goalie named Scott Wedgewood tonight, and have locked up Andrew Hammond for tomorrow. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

My HHL team has officially crawled from a low point of 15th place into playoff position. Now I just have to hold it for three weeks!

You and I seem to be on similar trajectories right now. Now that my team is healthy, I have had strong showings against top teams in the league.

On the downside, there is 3 weeks left, and 8th-11th is seperated by 4 points. My guess is that 7th may be a little out-of-reach because of how little time there is left, so it's essentially 4 teams fighting for one playoff spot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The battle for 8th place will be fun this week. Between me, Jamwad (I think), and Hopalong Studenich. I don't think I have been in a situation like this in all my years playing fantasy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yes I'm osti pastrnak. Lately my team can outscore everyone but has basically no goaltending anymore. It's also interesting that everyone in the 7-10 spots or so are all playing higher seeds this week.

Congrats, one of the funniest ends I have ever been involved with. I was up 7-6 most of the week, and on the final day, T-Bone pulled ahead. I think you were down 7-5, but tied 6-6. Which made you and I tied to end the year, except you won the tiebreaker because you had more wins.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Of course it was Provorov, the guy I dropped only a month or so ago.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Looking at my potential keepers for next year. Kucherov and Kaprizov are a definite yes. Leaning towards keeping Keumper, despite his cost, because I need a stable goaltender.

For my last choice, I am thinking Tanner Jeannot. But I had never heard of him until this year. His PIMs and hits are huge bonuses, but is there any hope for his offensive game besides a huge question mark. I guess being an undrafted player who debuts at 24, I already have my answer, but thought I should ask.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hartman is also an interesting option. I guess I will also have a few more months to decide.

I think Robertson and McAvoy are the definite choices. I'd probably lean towards Raymond, too.

For the last choice? I dropped Merzlikins, and he was a frustrating goalie to have. Makar is Makar, but that price seems a little expensive (has a defenseman ever gone for more than $100?). I think Robert Thomas had some ~prospect~ shine to him, and he's finally breaking out this year. Byram seems a little dicey, even though I like him, just because of his injury issues.

I'd probably lean towards Thomas, but again, you have a few months to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

That's a good point. I think when Makar gets drafted next year, if you choose not to keep him, he'd probably be going for the 90-100 mark. So it's not an overpay the more I think about it. Also, comparing Thomas and Makar, you may get Thomas for much cheaper price, but Makar has a ceiling of being a top-10 player in the league (I also didn't realize his hits/blocks numbers).