Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

...Youtube would keep forcing the same set of recommended channels with suggestive topics (regardless if I am logged into Google or not). I even saw youtube channel recommendations for a couple of old games that I haven't touched or talked about or even use any kind of google search about them, but they were visible on one of my game lists on my screen for a few seconds and not long after I went onto Youtube, I saw recommended videos on those two games specifically...

The TikTok/YouTube algorithms are very powerful and are capable of making uncanny recommendations. Especially if you have channel subscriptions.

Also, you don't have to be logged into any accounts. It can just go off of your public IP address. So clearing cookies or even formatting a computer might not make a big difference either if you have multiple devices on a network. Or if someone was using your Wi-Fi etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

Still, I think I’m dealing with something that most people typically don’t ever have to worry about. It’s hard to prove since this is something that is targeting me specifically. I’ve never had to deal with something like this ever before, and as far as I know it’s been going on since at least last year. We’ve seen unexplained jumps in data usage a few months ago for our internet, almost twice as much on average for one month. But I have no idea how to detect whatever is being used to quietly screen share my computer as well as something that can utilize smart phone microphones for passive listening. Stalker-ware is definitely a thing, and all I can think of is that it might be some variation of that.

If you did everything listed above and if you are still actually being attacked then you're in a big bind.

Let's cut to the chase. Smartphones and major operating systems have backdoors and things that various gov't agents/certain hackers can exploit to gain access. Some phone apps listen to people already but zero-click spyware is out there that can turn a smartphone into a great surveillance device with no action on your part.

Hypothetically, if you have an enemy in high places there's nothing that can be done short of going full Gene Hackman-mode in The Conversation or Enemy of the State by getting rid of all modern electronics. By merely logging into a flagged account from a different IP address a beacon could be sent out to the surveilling entities no matter where you are on the planet.

Governments around the world have spent billions of dollars on eavesdropping technology in the name of counter-terrorism/national security. The US gov't is currently spying on heads of state around the world. But not all people with these tools are ethical actors. If the leaders of huge countries can't avoid it then surely no average person can either.

PS I'm not saying this is your exact scenario but just for the sake of devil's advocacy.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

The world has gotten a little crazier in the past couple of years, and so have a lot of people.

This is true.

Wicker Man posted:

If they wish to waste their time and lives putting their skills to use trying to mess with me instead of doing something productive, that just shows how pathetic they are as individuals. In the mean time I will mind my own business.

This is the right mindset to have.

Wicker Man posted:

They see everywhere I go, and they will follow me online to places I go to smear my name to anyone willing to listen to them about me, to get them to join in on it. I think they've even reached out to one of my so-called friends on my Steam friends list to get details about me for fuel on the mind games they try to play.

They are trying to isolate me and have me be alienated from basically any kind of group online.

I'm not aware of a smear campaign against you although SA is a huge place with hundreds of megathreads. If someone was in on something like this they wouldn't come forward ITT because they'd out themselves.

The best thing to do with narcissists out for revenge is to ignore them if humanly possible. You can't control their behavior. Avoid technology if you need to in the short-term.