Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zeke is gonna eat Pollard and the last anyone is going to see of him is a leg disappearing into Zeke's mouth with a big ol' spaghetti slurp.

Edit: well this was meant for the NFC East thread but I guess it can live here now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh god are the Chiefs really this panicked after 2 loses?

https://twitter.com/JordanDajani/status/1442595835271737346

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Gonna buy one to stick pins in.

What the heck!!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just remembered who is playing in tonight's game. Ugh.

Best we can hope for is a tie.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Tanier's article today had a long section on the Chiefs:

quote:

How to Think About the Chiefs' 1-2 Start
It's not difficult to pinpoint the Chiefs' biggest issues after back-to-back losses, including Sunday's 30-24 defeat against the Los Angeles Chargers. They committed two turnovers in a 36-35 loss to Baltimore on Monday night and four more on Sunday, while their boom-or-bust fastbreak defense isn't producing enough stops or turnovers to compensate for their mistake-prone offense.

The big question is not what is happening but how to interpret it. Mahomes still looks excellent when he's not trying too hard to shift into phantasmagoric yolo hyperdrive, all of the big names on offense and defense are healthy, and both of Chiefs losses came down to the wire against quality opponents. So is the Chiefs' 1-2 start no big deal? Some big deal? A very big deal? Here are a few templates to help make sense of what's happening.

The Andy Reid Eagles Template
The Chiefs have become an upgraded version of the 2006-2010 post-Super Bowl XXXIX heartbreak Eagles.

Reid's attention to detail lapsed in the late 2000s, and his commitment to the run completely disappeared. The Eagles still made the playoffs frequently thanks to big plays by their veteran stars, but every close game was a potential nightmare of clock mismanagement or some other form of sloppiness.

Likelihood: Low. It's hard to tell if this template even applies to the Chiefs, because Mahomes is far superior to Donovan McNabb, and because the Eagles had no weapons quite like Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in the late Reid era. In fact, the Eagles template might simply be a variation on…

The Packers Template
The Chiefs have become like the Brett Favre-Mike Sherman Packers of the early 2000s or the Aaron Rodgers Packers of the late Mike McCarthy era.

The Packers started out 1-2 in 2003 and 2004 under Sherman (and went 0-3 when the wheels came off in 2005). They started 1-2 in 2006, 2012, 2013, and 2014 under McCarthy, plus 1-1-1 in 2018. Those Packers offenses became starring vehicles for their overzealous quarterbacks, sometimes to a fault, yet they often rebounded to make the playoffs because, well, look at who those quarterbacks were.

Likelihood: Moderate to high. Mahomes is clearly trying to do too much with some of his no-look passes and risky maneuvers at the ends of scrambles. The Chiefs defense has also bought too heavily into the belief that they can give up gobs of yards and big plays as long as they produce a few turnovers. The Chiefs need to act more like a supergroup than Mahomes' backup band.

If The Packers template applies, the Chiefs are now a 10- or 11-win team likely to fall victim to some flaw like a leaky run defense when they reach the postseason. That tracks, and it should be a major worry for Chiefs fans.

The Patriots Template
Nothing to worry about, folks! The Patriots went 1-2 to start the 2018 season but won the Super Bowl. They went 2-2 to start the 2017 season and won the AFC. Heck, what would September in the 2010s have been without an early-season loss or two and a PATRIOTS DYNASTY HAS ENDED storyline? The Chiefs are doing their version of the same thing and will stomp on the accelerator any minute now.

Likelihood: Moderate to low. The biggest difference between the 2010s Patriots and the 2021 Chiefs is their margin for error. The Patriots could noodle early in the year while counting on an easy divisional schedule to buoy them come playoff tiebreaker time, but there are no Jets in the AFC West this year.

There are other differences—those Patriots teams made far fewer mistakes, even in their losses—but "figure out solutions on the fly" tactics will likely force the Chiefs onto the road for at least part of the playoffs, which sends us straight back toward the Packers Template.

The Troll Template
Mahomes has been figured out, folks! It's over! The Chiefs are screwed for the rest of the decade!

Likelihood: Close to zero. But if it's true, Bills fans better start buying up those PSLs for the new stadium, because they're really gonna want a seat.

E: Also Gordon's conceivably still a good WR, but I don't know why anyone would freak out about it. Even if he can still go, and even if he's fine now... he's depressingly, relapsed over and over and over again. He's just not gonna stick around :(

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 27, 2021

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Honestly now I wish the Browns won week 1 more for the Chiefs being winless, than the Browns being undefeated.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/DanHanzus/status/1442612925131223043

How optimistic of him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

well he is Mr. Unlimited

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

I mean ppl we're saying this dude is boring.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

what does this even mean

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

what does this even mean

Agreed I need Wilson to post the tier list so we can rank him week to week

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

what does this even mean

Maybe he views quarterbacks like gacha pulls.

Common - Jeff Driskel
Uncommon - Tyrod Taylor
Rare - Jared Goff
Legendary - Baker Mayfield
Epic - Dak Prescott
Iconic - Aaron Rodgers
Ultra Instinct - Tom Brady

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'll explain. i'm not sure how deep he wants to go, but in this context you can assume that he's either talking about quarterbacks, football players in general, legendary quarterbacks, or legendary football players in general. an icon would be the person who comes to mind when you think of one of those terms. effectively, the most important one. so for example, not just one of the legendary quarterbacks, but the one that represents a legendary quarterback in your mind's eye. :)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

lmao what a dork

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ICONICALLY scoring 0 points in the second half and badly losing a QB duel to Kirk Cousins.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

what does this even mean

No one knows what it means but it gets the people going.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sounds like Ronnie Stanley might done for the season slash maybe for his career?

Harbaugh didn't say much obviously but the update he gave today wasn't too optimistic.

here's the tweet about harbaugh:

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1442564738295152645?s=21

Asema fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Asema posted:

It sounds like Ronnie Stanley might done for the season slash maybe for his career?

Harbaugh didn't say much obviously but the update he gave today wasn't too optimistic.

here's the tweet about harbaugh:

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1442564738295152645?s=21

Absolutely crushing blow. To think all this started the very game after he signed a long term deal. I have to think his career is done.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I kept telling people the Ravens needed to fix the o-line (and in particular get a center who can snap the ball) but NO ONE at SOUTHSIDE SALOON in RIVERSIDE BALTIMORE would listen to me and that's why this is happening now

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

camoseven posted:

I kept telling people the Ravens needed to fix the o-line (and in particular get a center who can snap the ball) but NO ONE at SOUTHSIDE SALOON in RIVERSIDE BALTIMORE would listen to me and that's why this is happening now

Is our center issue still a big problem? Who do we have playing there now? Why don't I know this?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's Brad Bozeman now, but he can't snap straight either. I don't think there's been any huge disasters yet but as a running team that relies on options and reads and poo poo you gotta get the ball into Lamar's hands every time!!!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

camoseven posted:

It's Brad Bozeman now, but he can't snap straight either. I don't think there's been any huge disasters yet but as a running team that relies on options and reads and poo poo you gotta get the ball into Lamar's hands every time!!!

He's grading really high on PFF if that matters (i do not know if it matters)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bozeman's been clearly very good good. it's the tackles.

I just remembered they stashed Ja'Wuan James away for next year so hopefully he can finally be a solid RT, or else we might as well just declare Patrick Mekari permanent RT for life status

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mekari is looking okay right? I don't understand these scores but having the old Army dude who was in the Army move over to LT seemed to give Jackson more time

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

oh cool one of my favorite players and a foundational piece of the team is dead, who needs a top 2 LT anyway

:smithicide:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

camoseven posted:

I remember only one botched snap so far (against KC and Lamar ran it back to the LoS) which is good considering last season

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Asema posted:

Mekari is looking okay right? I don't understand these scores but having the old Army dude who was in the Army move over to LT seemed to give Jackson more time

he's been okay but I dread teams with some real edge dudes like Cleveland

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
outside of Stanley issues the 2021 First Round pick known for his hands is practicing again so maybe we see him this week? Next week for sure.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Asema posted:

outside of Stanley issues the 2021 First Round pick known for his hands is practicing again so maybe we see him this week? Next week for sure.

I feel like against the Colts would be a good debut. Sit him against the Broncos though cause I really doubt we win that game. Ravens are traditionally really bad on the road against good defenses.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawalimus posted:

I feel like against the Colts would be a good debut. Sit him against the Broncos though cause I really doubt we win that game. Ravens are traditionally really bad on the road against good defenses.

Lamar Jackson is 32-8 in the regular season for his career.

Im going to wager a guess more than a couple of those 32's are good defenses on the road.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Asema posted:

Lamar Jackson is 32-8 in the regular season for his career.

Im going to wager a guess more than a couple of those 32's are good defenses on the road.

True enough though his line has never been as bad as now. I guess it doesn't matter though. Jamal Lewis started his first game at Miami in a disaster of a game but he had a few great runs. So maybe just base it on whether Bateman is healthy. Still I really don't think we match up well against Denver at all.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What team do you think you match up against well Kawalimus? The 1924 Rochester Jeffersons?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Cavauro is a legendary poster but Kawalimus is iconic

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What team do you think you match up against well Kawalimus? The 1924 Rochester Jeffersons?

Kansas City in some ways because their weak front lets us still have a running game. The weaker the D the better we match up with them because that lets us do what we do even in our depleted state.

On the defensive end it's anyone who is primarily a running team but I'm not sure those exist anymore outside of us and we can't play us. So maybe nobody on defense except teams that are just inept like the Bears or Jets.

Denver has the best run D in the league right now and also a strong pass D. It's true they've played inept teams so far though so it just depends on how much that's influenced things. Unless they're total frauds I'm pretty sure they blow us out.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 28, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Kawalimus being so sure that the Ravens are losing next week makes me nervous

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ravens are tenacious but down 20 players due to various injuries. Broncos have looked pretty good against the absolute worst teams in the league. It should be a close fun game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Kawalimus being so sure that the Ravens are losing next week makes me nervous

It's Alejandro Villanueva against Von Miller. You guys are stacked on D. This isn't going to be pretty for the Ravens. But it's not a big deal because winning the Lions game makes this kind of a free game for us with four home games in a row following it. That's where we're really going to see what the Ravens have potential for this year. 4-0=major contender. 3-1=probable playoffs. 2-2=playoff bubble team. 1-3=missing the playoffs. 0-4=total disaster but we'll get a top 10 pick.

I can realistically expect anything between 1-3 and 3-1. I don't see us losing to Indianapolis and I don't see us beating LA Chargers. Minnesota and Cincinnati are tossups.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

Is our center issue still a big problem? Who do we have playing there now? Why don't I know this?

you know really well why you dont know this lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

Kansas City in some ways because their weak front lets us still have a running game. The weaker the D the better we match up with them because that lets us do what we do even in our depleted state.

On the defensive end it's anyone who is primarily a running team but I'm not sure those exist anymore outside of us and we can't play us. So maybe nobody on defense except teams that are just inept like the Bears or Jets.

Denver has the best run D in the league right now and also a strong pass D. It's true they've played inept teams so far though so it just depends on how much that's influenced things. Unless they're total frauds I'm pretty sure they blow us out.

yeah good point. we beat them so we match up well against them. we match up well against the lions too. they cant defend a 66 yard fg attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thread title relevant. Even Peyton Manning is a fan.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1442666971636506626