Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hello, posters of cspam.

Welcome to the feedback thread! What's on your mind? What can be done better? What can be done worse? Anything we're doing particularly great or terrible? Let us know! Feel free to bring whatever you want to the table for discussion.

This thread will be opened on Thursday 09/23, and will be open until some time Monday 09/27. It will be open continuously if possible, but if nobody's around to watch the thread and respond, or we wake up and there's a ton of stuff to read and respond to, the thread might get closed temporarily so we can catch up.

Finally, a couple of specific things:

• Rules refresh: We are planning to refresh the rules thread. LK's rule set has been working fine and only needed a couple of adjustments. Here's a link to the new version of the rules, for input, any significant changes or additions are bolded for now: LINK
  • Mod nominations: It's been decided that instead of a thousand IKs, CSPAM should try having a thousand mods instead! Or at least, more than we currently have. Makes sense to me, considering how active this forum is. So if you have anyone you want to nominate for moderator please let us know!

Bonus: The CSPAM Hotline is open! Thanks twoday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hey cool i can use my mod powers to post in closed threads.

I'm a new mod. hoping to be a useful post janitor and not gently caress things up, as futile as that sounds. let's post together.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hi everyone, im also a new mod and i am a big dumb idiot who would love nothing more than for us all to get along and :justpost: together

PS if you want to give feedback in private, you can PM me or the other mods. we might share these comments in private if they raise important points, so if you want your PMed feedback kept anonymous, let me know

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Opening this thread for comment! I'll be back in a few hours to catch up and respond.

And don't forget about the hotline!

twoday posted:

How's the modding of C-SPAM? Want to scream into the void about it? Call the C-SPAM hotline and leave a message!

Just dial 1-(TRU)-A01-HAPM or 1-‪(878)-201-4276‬. Remember to dial *67 before the number if you wish for your phone number to remain invisible.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gonna need mods to go ahead and rescind the Larry forumban.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I think you're doing a great job. No complaints!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

:hmmyes:

also worth noting that despite the admins insistence that they think subforums should have a say in who their moderators are (which is important since we can't seem to give up the fiction that it is the job of moderators to guide the culture of a subforum), that the newest additions to the team here were basically just plucked out of the aether and made into mods. like I have no reason to have anything against them and they might be awesome for all I know, but I've never heard of either of them and I'm apparently not the only one. like they did the d&d mod thread and then (no offense to ehf) made somebody a mod who was hardly mentioned in that thread at all, and not suggested as a mod by anyone. so yeah I would say the admins are completely full of poo poo, actually - talking mainly about you ath since you ran that thread

other than that basically it would be cool if the site admins quit treating cspam as a problem to be solved, namaste

MSDOS KAPITAL has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Sep 23, 2021

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

Cspam is a very unhealthy environment for some people it seems. Larry doesn’t appear to enjoy posting in cspam, but does elsewhere to a large enough degree to not end up forumbanned. It appears the problem with Larry is Cspam. Keeping the forum ban in place is not only to his benefit, but the mods frankly know better when it comes to posters mental health.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i also think larrys forum ban should be lifted

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if larry wishes to not post in cspam he can simply not post here, a lifted forum ban is not an order to start posting again

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Kim Bong Chill posted:

Cspam is a very unhealthy environment for some people it seems. Larry doesn’t appear to enjoy posting in cspam, but does elsewhere to a large enough degree to not end up forumbanned. It appears the problem with Larry is Cspam. Keeping the forum ban in place is not only to his benefit, but the mods frankly know better when it comes to posters mental health.

shut up bitch

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

Agreed and furthermore make him the IK of the Marxism thread and ALD of the greenwald thread. I feel like Larry would be hopefully less prone about telling people to kill themselves(even if they need to hear it) if he could just chain probe them instead.

Flavius Aetass posted:

E.g

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i also think larrys forum ban should be lifted

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
agreed on larry's forum ban, let the boy post here if he wants to

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Terminal autist posted:

Agreed and furthermore make him the IK of the Marxism thread and ALD of the greenwald thread. I feel like Larry would be hopefully less prone about telling people to kill themselves(even if they need to hear it) if he could just chain probe them instead.

E.g

No one needs to be told to kill themselves you terminal shutin. This is not the vote for Larry you think it is.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

My suggestion is that thread bans and forum bans are dumb and lame and weird. Idk chain probes are okay if you’re trying to send a message but even then you got to let them have some recharge posting time to be dumb again in between

Also idk your rules updates also seem very pointed and reactionary and imo that’s always a bad look to try to relitigate yesterday’s drama when it’s kind of been dormant for a bit

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kim Bong Chill posted:

No one needs to be told to kill themselves you terminal shutin. This is not the vote for Larry you think it is.

WorkerThread posted:

shut up bitch

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Kim Bong Chill posted:

Lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flavius Aetass posted:

If you make this rear end in a top hat gently caress off, I'd be obliged

Other than that it's been smooth sailing for the past couple of months from what I can tell. Still, to echo another poster here, it'd be cool if there was like any element of democracy in how cspam is governed, thanks

Theoretically so we wouldn't get someone like FA in the mod seat again, but especially not without some mechanism of recall

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

:hmmyes:

also worth noting that despite the admins insistence that they think subforums should have a say in who their moderators are (which is important since we can't seem to give up the fiction that it is the job of moderators to guide the culture of a subforum), that the newest additions to the team here were basically just plucked out of the aether and made into mods. like I have no reason to have anything against them and they might be awesome for all I know, but I've never heard of either of them and I'm apparently not the only one

other than that basically it would be cool if the site admins quit treating cspam as a problem to be solved, namaste

my approach is very much not to try to shape the culture of cspam since that's a) insane and b) clearly counterproductive given what's happened with mods in the past. the only thing I personally would love to see is people posting more threads about stuff. i think more threads is good.

can't speak for the other mods here, but for me whatever cspam is and becomes is up to the people who post here. i have some preferences but you know, no one is an empty vessel

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Sep 23, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

1. Why is Crusty Nutsack still a mod?

2. Why did gradenko's IK star get removed?

3. Free Larry

4. What happened to the community having a voice in the selection of the moderators?

5. Why does CSPAM have a rule about "not directly link[ing] quotes" to D&D when the D&D moderators have said "Yeah, why blind quote when you can just....quote the poster?"

Edit:

Dreylad posted:

can't speak for the other mods here, but for me whatever cspam is and becomes is up to the people who post here.

6. So you would agree that we should free Larry, given 95% of the comments in CSPAM and QCS about this topic have supported letting him post here, right?

Edit 2: 6 was answered.

Second Hand Meat Mouth has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Sep 23, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

forum/thread bans are stupid, ramps are stupid (but funny when done to genuinely terrible people like How R U or whoever it is that keeps getting hit)

things are pretty alright though, if you wanna chainprobe/forum ban/whatever someone it should probably be that chipmunk pedo guy that nobody likes.

Flavius Aetass posted:

yea this is the guy

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kim Bong Chill posted:

Unban Larry and ban forum ban this dweeb instead. A poster for a poster

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
pity reply. new mods have been good. keep probing for r slurs. dont really care about Larry one way or the other but keep probating him if he keeps r slurring and death advocating. some people don't like Crusty Nutsack but idgaf, they don't cause problems.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

Also compromise this guy to a permanent end

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you make this rear end in a top hat gently caress off, I'd be obliged

Other than that it's been smooth sailing for the past couple of months from what I can tell. Still, to echo another poster here, it'd be cool if there was like any element of democracy in how cspam is governed, thanks

Theoretically so we wouldn't get someone like FA in the mod seat again, but especially not without some mechanism of recall
yeah I've stated in the past that it's way more important that we have a way to quickly get rid of bad mods than it is that we have a say in picking new ones, and a couple times laid out a possible approach to doing that. I won't reiterate it here but needless to say it was totally ignored, and currently the only way for the community to deal with this problem is to flood qcs with shitposts and hope for the best

Dreylad posted:

my approach is very much not to try to shape the culture of cspam since that's a) insane and b) clearly counterproductive given what's happened with mods in the past. the only thing I personally would love to see is people posting more threads about stuff. i think more threads is good.

can't speak for the other mods here, but for me whatever cspam is and becomes is up to the people who post here.
that's great and I hope you stick to it but, fwiw literally any d&d or cspam mod would nominally agree with the substance of your post (and many have) and then just go ahead and... do all the bad poo poo anyway.

I don't want you to feel like I'm calling you out in particular or not giving you a chance - but it does need to be said

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pamela Springstein posted:

pity reply. new mods have been good. keep probing for r slurs. dont really care about Larry one way or the other but keep probating him if he keeps r slurring and death advocating. some people don't like Crusty Nutsack but idgaf, they don't cause problems.

the problem with crusty nutsack is that they seemingly don't do anything but police the r slur, and the way cspam mods handle the r slur now is only making it more attractive for the posters that get a giggle out of it to use it. the most telling thing about how in touch crusty is with c-spam is when they showed up in qcs the other day, and proudly posted that they put through a request for a perma or a ban on someone that SoTB had already said they'd just put the same request in for.

if they just want to have a mod star so they can chat in the mod forum with their mod friends, make them mod of somewhere out of the way like QCS or TECH, but the only reason I could come up with for CN still being around is so that it didn't all fall on SoTB while we were waiting to have new mods assigned.

We got two of them, so...what's the deal now?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't really 'dislike' crusty or whatever, but if their only real contribution is just smacking people who say bad words I'd say that job can be given to someone who actually participates in stuff as well if we need a dedicated slur mod.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

And yeah, no real problems with Dreylad or Vyelkin or Thunderbeast except for the way in which they were assigned to us.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

6. So you would agree that we should free Larry, given 95% of the comments in CSPAM and QCS about this topic have supported letting him post here, right?

before I got asked to be a mod I've posted for Free Larry, wont pretend otherwise, but from what i gather it wasn't a mod decision at all and so I can't actually free him. I mean I can say "Larry is freed" but if he posts here he'll get banned and then I'll be a giant rear end in a top hat

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hello

CSPAM has been improving somewhat the last months. Personally, posting has been more informative and entertaining than last year, people are putting some drat fine effortposts spontaneously in different threads that are highly educational and interesting. Hopefully, that trend continues. I am biased for that sort of stuff because I love to see people go on about the poo poo they are enthusiasts for, so, of course, that might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Now, about the bad, let's get right into it: free Larry. His CSPAM-specific ban is possibly one of the most obnoxious decisions effected out here and completely idiosyncratic with how this place works, especially because his style of posting is very CSPAM. Even a dumbass like myself, who is out of the loop about the forums' internal dynamics between their different personalities or whatever the gently caress, could figure out that Larry's posting was explicitly provocative - which is very different from being ironic by the way - and correctly directed at some problematic aspects of the forums.

Now, this might be worth elaborating because I never actually saw anyone breaking it down extensively. The language policy was a failure and will continue to be a failure, because it is the dumbass performative gesture of attacking someone for using the wrong word, instead of doing the harder work of figuring out the context. One thing that struck me out as particularly idiotic about this matter was the rather patronizing and dismissive attitude to the people supporting Larry, and in particular, trying to school them about "why you shouldn't use retarded". If anything, I doubt very much that Larry and others involved, being minorities themselves, are actually completely loving incapable of sympathy and solidarity with the cognitively impaired. Or, to put it in another way, the framing and justification felt like Larry personally went out of his way to bully these people, like a tryhard cartoon character or something.

Maybe I have too much solidarity involved here for my young queer brother here, but I think his style of posting, which others do share, is simply a natural consequence of their lives. Posting aggro-style when dealing with subjects that they consider completely loving idiotic can be very entertaining and is a way to deal with those subjects as well.

Which is where, I think, CSPAM moderation failed utterly. I do not know who was responsible about that, but it would have been far, far more respectable to come out straight out of the gate with "I am banning the guy because I think he is insufferable" and take the heat right on, instead of the timid, spineless bullshit that happened, using the language policy as justification (when many others pointed out how there were so many other examples of people bypassing the same rule without punishment), then about calling mods pedos (another obnoxious language policy rule that invites provocation that is far more justified than the first), to finally have something like "can't stand the guy and that's it" and total shutdown of the discussion involved. Overall, a general fuckup that was entirely unnecessary and simply contributed to antagonize most of us here, in my honest opinion.

My suggestions, if they are worth anything, is to revise the language policy to actually encourage moderators and IKs to properly work context, which seems to be the main problem after all. It's an unpaid job with lots of information in flux, it's not a doozy. Bad decisions will happen and the best thing to do is to admit they happened, recognize the mistakes and put the effort to rectify and improve.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dreylad posted:

before I got asked to be a mod I've posted for Free Larry, wont pretend otherwise, but from what i gather it wasn't a mod decision at all and so I can't actually free him. I mean I can say "Larry is freed" but if he posts here he'll get banned and then I'll be a giant rear end in a top hat

Thanks for answering, but lolling in confusion that the admins decided "no CSPAM for Larry!!!"

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea I don't really 'dislike' crusty or whatever, but if their only real contribution is just smacking people who say bad words I'd say that job can be given to someone who actually participates in stuff as well if we need a dedicated slur mod.

What else would you like their contribution to be? It seems like the overarching trend of past feedback threads has been “punish people for breaking the rules, but don’t gently caress with threads and otherwise let people post.” There’s probably a whole separate conversation to be had about word-filter modding but imo the forum is better off when mods aren’t barging into threads to tone police popular posters

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
didnt read

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

that's great and I hope you stick to it but, fwiw literally any d&d or cspam mod would nominally agree with the substance of your post (and many have) and then just go ahead and... do all the bad poo poo anyway.

I don't want you to feel like I'm calling you out in particular or not giving you a chance - but it does need to be said

nah, I think you're 100% right and the only thing I can do to prove otherwise is try to walk the walk. I've already promised to myself and a few other posters that if I start taking poo poo personally or start posting in a way that's about my self-preservation in keeping mod buttons instead of trying to communicate with people I should step down

I will say up front though that ultimately im still going to have enforce rules, so that may clash with my stated ideals in some people's minds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

What else would you like their contribution to be? It seems like the overarching trend of past feedback threads has been “punish people for breaking the rules, but don’t gently caress with threads and otherwise let people post.” There’s probably a whole separate conversation to be had about word-filter modding but imo the forum is better off when mods aren’t barging into threads to tone police popular posters

I mean, I'd argue we probably have too many mods considering cspam has like, what, four or five really constantly 'active' threads and then a bunch that are pretty normal? I don't see why we need a long modlist at all.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
execute paul_soccer12, he is a very disrespectful poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)