Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

1. rescind larry's forum ban

2. unmask whoever's re-reg this:

3. crusty nutsack is to be demodded immediately

4. the coolzone is to be gassed as punishment for inflicting crusty nutsack on cspam

yes

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

Posts more recent than these have been probated in the same threads they were posted in. I don't appreciate having to see this poo poo in forums I read and it's very plainly against the rules.

and now I'll probably be harassed by either these posters or people who are friends with them because I had to bring this extremely loving obvious violation of the very plainly stated rules up in the feedback thread since my reports and PMs were completely not answered AT ALL. Great job guys!

ignoring the merits of your complaint, i dont think that last one fits the pattern of the other three. there's a very clear difference between saying "X should kill themselves" and "I'm going to kill myself" and I don't know what your problem is with the latter

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Unban Larry and ban forum ban this dweeb instead. A poster for a poster

also, i looked at the rules. most of the rule are about not causing trouble for mods/admins. it's junk about cspam being 'a problem' and it's not, sorry, and coming from that attitude is doomed to failure

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

500 good dogs posted:

ignoring the merits of your complaint, i dont think that last one fits the pattern of the other three. there's a very clear difference between saying "X should kill themselves" and "I'm going to kill myself" and I don't know what your problem is with the latter

Its just pointless virtue signaling and he's carrying around a cross looking for any excuse to climb up on it. Like I doubt he really sent any PM's and if he did they probably weren't read yet.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

4. the coolzone is to be gassed as punishment for inflicting crusty nutsack on cspam

Sound recommendations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this about sums it up

500 good dogs posted:

the latter always makes me pretty uncomfortable, but I was also there for the insanely doomer early 2017 era of c-spam where every other post was just suicidal ideation and it got Weird

banning it just because it creeps me out would be weirder, though

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Terminal autist posted:

Its just pointless virtue signaling and he's carrying around a cross looking for any excuse to climb up on it. Like I doubt he really sent any PM's and if he did they probably weren't read yet.

No, dude, I really do not like having to read this poo poo. I struggle with thoughts of self harm and it's not cool for people to go around posting poo poo like this and it's very clearly against the loving rules.

Of course, I'm already being proven right about being harassed over it so thank you for that too.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is basically what i said already so you can answer this isntead of my post if you want mods

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

empty whippet box posted:

No, dude, I really do not like having to read this poo poo. I struggle with thoughts of self harm and it's not cool for people to go around posting poo poo like this and it's very clearly against the loving rules.

Of course, I'm already being proven right about being harassed over it so thank you for that too.

I sympathize but perhaps you shouldn't be reading the black-pilled irony politics forum. C-spam is fun but I dont think its ever made my brain better.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The thing about the kill yourself posting and the push for legalizing slurs feels like an attempt to make CSPAM more FYADish, and while I have no beef with FYAD, there's a reason I don't post there and I instead post in CSPAM. There's plenty of ways to be funny and even edgy without necessarily getting juvenile and excessively violent. I say all this but also want Larry freed? So I guess I'm a mess of contradictions.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

just to be clear for my posts the 'them' and 'her' in that were the cast of TV's The View and congresswoman AOC, if AOC really does kill herself tonight I assure you I will feel v. bad.

It doesn't loving matter if the people you're saying should kill themselves post here or not. That doesn't change the fact that it's not ok to post this type of poo poo. You shouldn't loving do that, and moreover, it's literally explicitly mentioned in the rule about it as not being ok

quote:

7. Do not say that anyone, on here or off, specific or general should kill themselves. Do not say that it would be good if anyone killed themselves. Do not say that anyone should be killed. Do not lay out methods for successful suicide, even if you direct them toward hypothetical terrible people who might be reading. These types of posts can be triggering and it's not cool.

Terminal autist posted:

I sympathize but perhaps you shouldn't be reading the black-pilled irony politics forum. C-spam is fun but I dont think its ever made my brain better.

gently caress off

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

it seems hard to believe that the admins decided on specifically a c-spam forum ban without it being pushed by someone in the community, and we all already know which dipshit everyone hates that did it. seems obvious what should be done.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

The thing about the kill yourself posting and the push for legalizing slurs feels like an attempt to make CSPAM more FYADish, and while I have no beef with FYAD, there's a reason I don't post there and I instead post in CSPAM. There's plenty of ways to be funny and even edgy without necessarily getting juvenile and excessively violent. I say all this but also want Larry freed? So I guess I'm a mess of contradictions.

also in regards to the Bad Word it's not like using different words is some massive lingual challenge

there's like 100,000 ways to call someone a dumbass, half of the english language is dedicated solely to it. people can get by without that specific one

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Sep 23, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Probably Magic posted:

To me, wanting Larry freed is more about being opposed to administrator overreach than condoning all his actions

I am personally not a fan of his style but I also think being forum banned is absurd

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Im ambivalent on the R word and self harm jokes and I'm totally fine with them gone but the idea a person suicidal ideations should be browsing C-spam with threads like the covid or climate change one, lmao. Time to get that cross out boys

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

Im ambivalent on the R word and self harm jokes and I'm totally fine with them gone but the idea a person suicidal ideations should be browsing C-spam with threads like the covid or climate change one, lmao. Time to get that cross out boys

tbf consistent exposure to the climate thread will destroy just about anyone except the most hollowed-out husks

Flavius Aetass posted:

I think you're doing a great job. No complaints!

also why is this pedophile defender still around

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes you just need to log off and there's no shame in doing that, it's not a concession, it's admitting that you're not having fun and there's probably better uses of your time than staring at people prattling on a screen. At the same time, the taintrunner debacle proves this forum doesn't have to be unfun and that not every style of posting has to be endured. Difficult line to balance on, whether it's a personal problem or an actual forums problem. Doesn't help that everyone, online or off, has a completely broken head now, myself included.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
too many rules and they all suck.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
doomposting is another thing I really didn't like as a poster, but i get that people want to just vent and frankly there are topics that are just grim and there isn't any way around it. long-term exposure to the climate change thread is definitely not good for anyone. and dark comedy is part and parcel for this forum and I wouldn't want to discourage that. The New American Gothik Thread is one of my favourites, for example.

far be it for me to suggest anything less than :justpost: but, logging off is good and healthy. i think people unfortunately get invested in poo poo, especially related to social media and it spills out here. it's good to care about things, but there's only so much we can do as individuals and we do even less posting so it's important to keep that in perspective.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

remember when the mods posted a poll on whether to allow larry back in, over 80% said yes, and they locked it, belittled everyone, and gassed the thread

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gonna need to know which admin the order came down from because Crusty openly threatened it on Larry:s rap sheet, not an admin

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Free Larry. it was ridiculous that even overwhelming majority, including his haters, agree it should be lifted

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

at the risk of being called the r-slur, I don’t like it when people use that or other ableist language. I don’t know if saying “drat that’s crazy” ought to be probated, but I don’t feel personally comfortable using those terms anymore. 15 years ago not that many would bat an eye at “drat it’s loving gay that your car got stolen,” for example.

it’s unnecessary and involves other people and stigmas that usually have nothing to do with the topic of discussion. usually these terms come from archaisms within the medical field. they don’t hurt the people they are used against and it makes posts harder to read.

I’ve been called all these things, it cuts closer when they have to do with something I do suffer from.

tangentially — I don’t really care if someone tells me to KMS, because when I’ve tried it did not have anything to do with someone online telling me to do that. that aspect, to me, seems more closely linked to the therapeutic cultural turn america has taken than to do with not being lovely to groups of people you don’t know. but I could be wrong. I seriously hate it when social media tries to police your emotions and shows a popup dialogue about how to get therapy for your issues in a convenient app.

in conclusion, I’m glad to see the r-slur less because I hate thinking less of my fellow posters. I hope to see less policing of emotions.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Sep 24, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
on mods, Dreyland and Vylk are good choices

I’d nominate for mod (or IK):
Smythe
Epic High Five
comedyblissoption
Rasklinovo
AnimeisTrash
a Loving Dog
Marzzle
Peneer
dead gay comedy forums
Paul-soccer12
Tiler Kiwi (upped from IK to mid)

some would probably be better IKs than mods so w/e

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
nothing against the Cool Zone but it should be renamed from the Cool Zone, a specific meaning related to overthrowing the government, which people were excited for at the time, to the Joe Biden Blue Lives Matter thread

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think cspam should have forumbans at all personally, and larry's just feels like such a dumb lovely grudge. Also, it is apparently so deeply shameful to the perpetrator that nobody will loving even own it.

I think it's laudible to try and make ableism, racism, homophobia and transphobia unwelcome on the forum but the word filter approach as a rule just led to inconsistent application and frustration, which has in turn led to people saying the words specifically to point out how annoying and arbitrary it is. Hell near as I can tell the specific ban of the word "retard" started as part of flavius' weird feud with some of the people in the marxism thread - which eventually included Flav calling posters there "mongoloids." The policy has not, in my opinion, worked to reduce ableism on the forum and we should be willing to admit that and try something else. idk what that something else would be though

tl;dr free larry and end word-filter moderation is my feedback. new guys seem like the ok sort.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

docbeard posted:

That's interesting because we've been told in the past that it was a decision of the CSPAM mods (at the time). So far as I know no one has ever actually stood up and said "yeah that was my call and here's why". I'm pretty ambivalent toward whether Larry is actually freed but this mystery bullshit does no one any good.
Sure I'm here. I wanted this. It just seemed like a silly song and dance to continue having these conversations over and over. Charming or not, Larry has demonstrated he won't change his posting based on probations and bans, and now those inevitably get escalated to me. That is to one's credit when their intent is to provoke but.....I just can't have the same argument every month. I know that the ending is "I run out of patience and permaban him" and my hope is that forum banning him will head that off.

In effect, to me, this isn't even a c-spam action. Removing him from the place he causes trouble and headaches for me spares him the permaban that prevents him from posting in Imp Zone, where he is recognized as an upstanding poster. I know that is not the answer that many people here want but.....perhaps you can visit imp zone and talk to him about games instead of marxism.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dreylad posted:

doomposting is another thing I really didn't like as a poster, but i get that people want to just vent and frankly there are topics that are just grim and there isn't any way around it. long-term exposure to the climate change thread is definitely not good for anyone. and dark comedy is part and parcel for this forum and I wouldn't want to discourage that. The New American Gothik Thread is one of my favourites, for example.

I've never really recognized "doomposting" as a thing. If there is any real doomposting out there, it is in the people who are champions of Open Biden, or are unfailing boosters of meaningless greenwashed environmentalism, or are willing to accept any incrementalist distraction.

It is impossible for me to create a nihilist caricature that exceeds the nihilist reality of someone who made "children can't get it and if they do they recover fast" as a cornerstone of their response to a global pandemic. And I can think of nothing more gross and more self serving than to think climate change is in the hands of the experts thanks to toothless agreements and pledges to reduce the sale of ICE vehicles by some percentage decades into the future.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sure I'm here. I wanted this. It just seemed like a silly song and dance to continue having these conversations over and over. Charming or not, Larry has demonstrated he won't change his posting based on probations and bans, and now those inevitably get escalated to me. That is to one's credit when their intent is to provoke but.....I just can't have the same argument every month. I know that the ending is "I run out of patience and permaban him" and my hope is that forum banning him will head that off.

In effect, to me, this isn't even a c-spam action. Removing him from the place he causes trouble and headaches for me spares him the permaban that prevents him from posting in Imp Zone, where he is recognized as an upstanding poster. I know that is not the answer that many people here want but.....perhaps you can visit imp zone and talk to him about games instead of marxism.

he causes headaches because the forums are run poorly. the problem is on your end not his

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
catching up, probably gonna post my replies by page as i go through. I'm not going to respond to every single post but if I missed you and you really really want a response just nudge me either itt or pm

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bedpan posted:

I've never really recognized "doomposting" as a thing. If there is any real doomposting out there, it is in the people who are champions of Open Biden, or are unfailing boosters of meaningless greenwashed environmentalism, or are willing to accept any incrementalist distraction.

It is impossible for me to create a nihilist caricature that exceeds the nihilist reality of someone who made "children can't get it and if they do they recover fast" as a cornerstone of their response to a global pandemic. And I can think of nothing more gross and more self serving than to think climate change is in the hands of the experts thanks to toothless agreements and pledges to reduce the sale of ICE vehicles by some percentage decades into the future.

to me it's restlessly attacking people who express any kind of optimism or disagree with your assessment, or telling people not to crack jokes about something because it's deadly seriously. it's pretty rare, but it's sort of a failure to read the room in a thread i guess. to be clear, my views on doomposting aren't some kind of Mod Statement, just a personal poster preference

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I think the mods of CSPAM are for the most part doing a good job, but that's probably because I don't have a personal stake in the Larry issue. He was a fellow CSPAM poster with a 'bit' that pushed boundaries that had gotten stale to certain mods. Forumbans are the weapon of D&D and are thus for the weak. I believe in forgiveness following a suitable probationary period of good behavior, and I also believe in people paying the troll tax from time to time.

Speaking of trolls:
A while ago Flavius popped back up in CSPAM after re-regging (after his self-ban defending chipmunk bj porn as a twitter meme), and everyone told him to GTFO of CSPAM and not come back. Some even suggested he buy a new account and put the Flavius username behind him permanently, and it seems like the guy hasn't yet followed this advice. Flavius' account is forever compromised by its association with pedo poo poo, and it should be permabanned for his own sake.

Also I thought Gradenko was doing fine as an IK. Even if they didn't seem interested in mediating slapfights or handing out probations for aggro-posting or whatever, they still seem to have a good feel for the community,

Lux Anima has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Sep 24, 2021

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

bedpan posted:

people pearl clutching about "doomerism" whether here, d&d, or qcs, is a bit annoying. you don't need to wallow in despair but it's not that strange for people to want to post about and discuss heavier stuff sometimes

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Roth posted:

The cspam mods don't wish to have Larry continue posting in cspam if he's going to knowingly push boundaries with the "Should [X] be killed/[x] should be killed" posts, and he has had multiple chances now. It was decided that this was a more appropriate solution than a permaban.

Smythe posted:

i largely agree and i like this part of the big forums show but i aint a cspam mod and its their call to make. the mods have discretion to eject people from their forums if they so choose

Koos Group posted:

The forumban wasn't a Jeffrey decision. Forumbans are given at discretion of the mods of the forum in question.

Koos Group posted:

Right you are. I personally wanted neither Flavius nor Larry to get a perma or forumban. Larry's forumban was brought up right toward the end of the discussion, and I didn't push back against it because those are normally the purview of the forum's mods

hmmm

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'd like cspam to be less aggro and condescending over the smallest poo poo but that's more a larger issue with internet culture than with mods

I'm also probably in the minority since everyone seems so angry all the time

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

circle the wagons around crusty, just like they did to eatass

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

copy posted:

The policy has not, in my opinion, worked to reduce ableism on the forum and we should be willing to admit that and try something else. idk what that something else would be though
I mean the flippant answer is "take action against ableism on the forum" but that implies that merely saying the word itself is not ableism. I'm not opposed in principle to banning the word and there are certainly other words that are banned here (including apparently "bitch") although I think self-policing is probably the better approach.

I think it basically comes down to whether it's even possible to use the word in the way that it was usually used before Sarah Palin, and fwiw my opinion is that it's not. For better or for worse the word just has a different meaning in the context of 2021 and you literally can not use the word the way you might have in say 2005 where it was no different than "idiot" or "moron" etc. Full stop it just does not work anymore. And that's not inherently good or bad it's just the way language works - even if your intent is to use the word that way, the word simply doesn't mean that anymore and won't be received that way. And I don't think anyone can claim ignorance now anyway: if you use the word it's overwhelmingly likely you're doing it to get a rise out of people.

I would agree that the chain of events that brought us to these linguistic circumstances are profoundly stupid, but regardless of how we got here we're still here. You'll just have to find another word.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CSPAM is fine, and if an alec vlog gets over 20 likes on imgur make him an IK for a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for every vlog he posts that doesn't get 20+ likes, give him a 24