Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

delete the "debate & discussion" subforum plz, thank you

nah, keep that trash where it belongs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I only consent to be digitally governed by those who have demonstrated a practical understanding of and adhere to the principles of Xi Jinping Thought

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is a good point actually, I'll think about it. might not hurt to experiment a bit. Would like to hear what others think.

hey whats up stop trying to be my loving dad and just clean up poo poo when it comes over the loudspeaker, thanks.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

if people don't want to get cooked for their lovely tweets they should make better ones. the idea of disabling twitter embeds on the forums because one guy doesn't like it is absurd but oddly not surprising

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lmao don't unembed twitter

that's my whole cspam feedback

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'll take 24 hours to restate emphatically that Crusty Nutsack should be demodded and her arbitrary decision to forum ban Larry overturned.

See you tomorrow, comrades.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Who the gently caress is Larry?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
make slurs bannable regardless of context. nobody who whines and cries about context actually gives a poo poo about context. it's the thinnest, flimsiest excuse. these are just lovely people who want to throw slurs at their political and posting enemies. we've even seen more than one slur-thrower admit more than once that they only use slurs to cause trouble and piss people off. they're not good faith posters who actually care about context. this is 2021 for gently caress's sake and the english language is one of the most descriptive on the planet. there is literally no good reason for slurs anywhere. and if you insist on acting like a petulant child all the time then you shouldn't be surprised when you're treated like one

also start banning or probating "free my favorite poster" qq bullshit. i've been on these forums for 20 years and i have never once said "free someone". these whiny little children throw multiple tantrums across multiple threads for multiple months over toxic rear end people. and of course a bunch of the people they stan for are slur-slingers. what a huge surprise. for christ's sake we literally had multiple people posting "free taintrunner", a loving rapist, for weeks if not months after he was permabanned. "free x" is the most tedious exhausting poo poo, it shits up all kinds of good threads, and 99% of the time nothing happens because people shouldn't expect any kind of consistency or justice on these forums

Malah
May 18, 2015

New mods have been great, pretty sure this has been the best way I've seen a mod feedback thread done so far.

Tiler Kiwi would make another good mod if one is needed. 4-5 seems like a good count to leave room for when one flies too close to the sun or otherwise burns out spectacularly. I read CSPAM when I want to chill a bit, so I like that the new crew seems aligned on the chill axis rather than starting poo poo like previous mods did. IKs starting poo poo is a good time but there was a period where it felt the mods kept coming in to crash parties and that wasn't a fun atmosphere. Maybe promote a few more chaos IKs if things settle down too much, but something will surely happen to blow poo poo up again before long.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Elephant Ambush posted:

make slurs bannable regardless of context. nobody who whines and cries about context actually gives a poo poo about context. it's the thinnest, flimsiest excuse. these are just lovely people who want to throw slurs at their political and posting enemies. we've even seen more than one slur-thrower admit more than once that they only use slurs to cause trouble and piss people off. they're not good faith posters who actually care about context. this is 2021 for gently caress's sake and the english language is one of the most descriptive on the planet. there is literally no good reason for slurs anywhere. and if you insist on acting like a petulant child all the time then you shouldn't be surprised when you're treated like one

also start banning or probating "free my favorite poster" qq bullshit. i've been on these forums for 20 years and i have never once said "free someone". these whiny little children throw multiple tantrums across multiple threads for multiple months over toxic rear end people. and of course a bunch of the people they stan for are slur-slingers. what a huge surprise. for christ's sake we literally had multiple people posting "free taintrunner", a loving rapist, for weeks if not months after he was permabanned. "free x" is the most tedious exhausting poo poo, it shits up all kinds of good threads, and 99% of the time nothing happens because people shouldn't expect any kind of consistency or justice on these forums

free larry hth

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

for christ's sake we literally had multiple people posting "free taintrunner", a loving rapist, for weeks if not months after he was permabanned.

Surely you can quote just a few examples from this overflowing font of rapist apologia in cspam that show taintrunner had not, in fact, become persona non grata overnight?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

for christ's sake we literally had multiple people posting "free taintrunner", a loving rapist, for weeks if not months after he was permabanned.

TBF those people were very sharply informed to stfu.

+1 on getting rid of the R-word tho. For a while, it was just a way to express anger at bad moderation, but Flavius has gone the way of the chipmunk, so there's really no excuse to keep around words that make people feel bad unless those people are liberals.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

how about: dont probe anyone for saying retarded. However if they’re politely asked not to and, instead of going “ok sure” like a normal person, they go on a lovely little rant about how you shouldn’t police language without context and it’s hypocritical to call that a slur when “stupid” and “moron” used to be even more offensive and if you tell them not to say a word they’ll just come up with a euphemism anyway and we’re going to alienate the working class with these liberal tone arguments!, they should be probed immediately just for being a tool

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for the responses everyone. FYI I've been tapering down the "already posted" probes because they're not intended to punish, just make room for others until the thread's done

Varinn posted:

transfer larrys forum ban to chuka

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

delete the "debate & discussion" subforum plz, thank you
mods are working their asses off

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah--the people posting it immediately in the wake of the perma were mostly unaware of what happened and did a 180 as soon as they heard why he was perma'd (and like cpt obvious said, they were also quickly told to stfu). Since then it's only been one person who I'm pretty sure is just trying to rile people up every now and then.

I'll keep this thread open a while longer in case anyone else has something to say, but I'll probably close it some time this afternoon and then post a summary of the feedback received. Much appreciated everyone

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Elephant Ambush posted:

who did that

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

free Pittsburgh Felony Cloud

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

misadventurous posted:

how about : dont probe anyone for saying retarded. However if they’re politely asked not to and, instead of going “ok sure” like a normal person, they go on a lovely little rant about how you shouldn’t police language without context and it’s hypocritical to call that a slur when “stupid” and “moron” used to be even more offensive and if you tell them not to say a word they’ll just come up with a euphemism anyway and we’re going to alienate the working class with these liberal tone arguments!, they should be probed immediately just for being a tool

I think this might be a good approach if it wasn't this specific word with the specific history it has on this specific forum (SA in general but also CSPAM specifically). At this point everyone already knows and everyone knows better, and I don't have any patience left for it.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Cpt_Obvious posted:

TBF those people were very sharply informed to stfu.

+1 on getting rid of the R-word tho. For a while, it was just a way to express anger at bad moderation, but Flavius has gone the way of the chipmunk, so there's really no excuse to keep around words that make people feel bad unless those people are liberals.

Agreed on that +1. I've seen a lot of "euphemism treadmill" takes in this thread regarding the R-word and I don't see any of these people coming out to defend the N-word or the F-word with the same logic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Filthy Hans posted:

free Pittsburgh Felony Cloud

Not exactly sure what's going on there. The last entry in their rap sheet is for 12 hours while they're probed for 91 days which only an admin can do. My best guess is they requested some time off from an admin or something, and probably didn't post about it publicly because they didn't want anyone to make it their business.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

Surely you can quote just a few examples from this overflowing font of rapist apologia in cspam that show taintrunner had not, in fact, become persona non grata overnight?

spacemang_spliff posted:

who did that

there's one guy whose username I forget who posts it frequently, I can only assume as a joke. not sure if anyone else does. anyone who does so does, for sure, need to shut the gently caress up

anyway I don't have much sincere feedback except that chain probes should be freely used on liberals posting in this forum to melt down that people think their vote for a racist rapist is bad, and that larry must be freed

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

We don't need a word filter, we need probes when people are being ableist, which necessarily includes slinging around retard or mongoloid or whatever people say now when they want to try to be cute with their ableism to try to avoid getting probed.

It's absolutely true that moderation on that has been bad in the past, but we're long past the time where there should be any tolerance of that.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

there's one guy whose username I forget who posts it frequently, I can only assume as a joke. not sure if anyone else does. anyone who does so does, for sure, need to shut the gently caress up

anyway I don't have much sincere feedback except that chain probes should be freely used on liberals posting in this forum to melt down that people think their vote for a racist rapist is bad, and that larry must be freed

there is one poster who posts "free taintrunner" a single time every one or two months. that is the extent of his support base. if someone wants to deal with that, go ahead, but the notion that there is this active posting campaign to "free taintrunner" is yet another example making something up and then getting mad about it.

edit: and the last time they did they ate a probation for it. the only people bringing up taintrunner anymore are just doing it to get mad at CSPAM

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Sep 27, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bedpan posted:

there is one poster who posts "free taintrunner" a single time every one or two months. that is the extent of his support base. if someone wants to deal with that, go ahead, but the notion that there is this active posting campaign to "free taintrunner" is yet another example making something up and then getting made about it.

edit: and the last time they did they ate a probation for it. the only people bringing up taintrunner anymore are just doing it to get mad at CSPAM

The number of people who were lapping up his psychotic rants at the time though, and then backpeddled when it became clear he was as repellant as his posting suggested ... good grief

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beached Whale posted:

Agreed on that +1. I've seen a lot of "euphemism treadmill" takes in this thread regarding the R-word and I don't see any of these people coming out to defend the N-word or the F-word with the same logic.
Because the treadmill is catering to a demand; calling people really loving stupid, which is a far more socially acceptable goal than making GBS threads on black and gay people. The comparison only works if you think being black or gay is just as worthy of being called out on as being a moron.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
my feedback is that you should stop stifling the feedback thread

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Unoriginal Name posted:

my feedback is that you should stop stifling the feedback thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not exactly sure what's going on there. The last entry in their rap sheet is for 12 hours while they're probed for 91 days which only an admin can do. My best guess is they requested some time off from an admin or something, and probably didn't post about it publicly because they didn't want anyone to make it their business.

It's this.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
My last bit of feedback can be found in the new avatar I've been given as a result of this thread, an avatar that has had me laughing for quite a good while now.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

still can't add mods to ignore list

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BONGHITZ posted:

gotta take that up with astral

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Elephant Ambush posted:

cromulent fuckcrustable vibe from this post

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
My feedback is that it feels that mods really don't seem to want feedback if they are closing the thread on a whim and probing anyone who posts twice

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

i would like the mods and certain posters to stop feigning interest in my mental health, or whether certain posting styles are "healthy", etc. this is a dead gay comedy forum, and i post here because i like the community in general. none of you are my mom (probably, that would be a fun surprise), so just post, probate the bad posts, and relax. you are internet janitors, not clinical professionals.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mods knew

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Also: Give gradenko back his star.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also: Give gradenko back his star.

I'm definitely open to it and will bring it up!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All right, that's been the feedback thread! Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts.

In the interest of increasing transparency, these are the planned next steps:
  • At some point soon, hopefully tonight, I will review the thread and write a post summarizing the main points that were raised.
  • I will also post a list of all mod nominations, and will also throw in nominations of my own. The other mods are free to chime in on this as well.
  • This thread will be unstuck to make room for other better threads.
  • We'll discuss the feedback and what we will do in the mod forum. Not sure how long this will take but I don't imagine it should take long unless we hit some major gridlock disagreements on something (I don't foresee that happening though)
  • Once we've come to decisions, I will update this thread with a new reply on what will be happening next.

e: so I didn't get around to it yesterday, but I should get to it today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Jd6AalPJA

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Sep 28, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

gotta take that up with astral

astral posted:

Anyway, this is more of a policy question that belongs in QCS than a forums software question, but last I heard the policy decision was still a 'no' on ignoring mods.

On the other hand, being able to ignore IKs (at the very least outside of their own forum, or outside of their own thread for thread IKs) is something under discussion that might happen someday. Relatively low priority; it would likely come into existence after features that highlight which forums someone moderates (e.g. in user profiles), also low-priority.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

[*]At some point soon, hopefully tonight, I will review the thread and write a post summarizing the main points that were raised.
[*]I will also post a list of all mod nominations, and will also throw in nominations of my own. The other mods are free to chime in on this as well.

Sorry this is going to be delayed for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Here is a summary of topics that were raised that we will discuss in the mod forums. Please note that the mod threads tend to move kind of slowly (though our current team is pretty responsive) so it might be a bit, but I will come back with an update. Maybe periodic updates depending how the conversation goes but preferably all in one update if possible.

If there's anything not on this list that I either missed or you didn't get a chance to post, feel free to PM me or any of the CSPAM mods, or if you don't have PMs you can join this discord server to message us.
  • Free larry
  • Better representation in mods & less opacity in mod selection process
  • Better ways of removing mods the community has rejected
  • Take time zones into account when expanding the mod roster
  • Take context into account when addressing language issues/euphemism treadmill concerns
  • Moderate for ableism, not specific words (related to previous point)
  • re-IK gradenko
  • A perception of insularity from/for certain megathreads (it appears various groups accuse at least one or two other megathreads of being insular and never posting anywhere else)
  • Unnecessary aggression/cruelty towards posters
  • can we get a joecopter to cheer up the cspam threads
  • Twitter embeds (gonna be honest I doubt this will change but we'll chat)

Once again thanks to everyone who participated, and thank you also to those who think we're doing a good job! I'm hoping that we can continue to do better and improve.