Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sasha is absolutely indispensable for several reasons, since her niche is extremely powerful.

Naturally, I fear that means the thread is going to try to keep you from her. I recommend Colin for this map, though!

EDIT: There is an update on the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sasha i like the cut of her jib

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sasha's skills will be particularly helpful with 2 enemy commander's bars to bust.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Yeah, my thoughts on the Director's identity grow ever stronger with this part.

Anyway, as for the vote.... On one hand, Sasha's absolutely CP's playstyle here. On the other.... I really wanna see more Bad Jake Victory Quotes for the sake of seeing my dude cringe, so....

Jake or Sasha, CP's choice.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The AI treats fog of war a little better in this game, but not much. In 1 and 2 the AI knew where your units were at all times and could target units with indirect fire regardless of vision (excepting woods and reefs); in DS, the AI still knows where your units are, but won't target them unless it has vision. It takes until Days of Ruin for the computer to play fair in fog.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote Rachel for this one. It'll be . . .

...interesting to see what happens re: enemy CO powers.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I like Sasha too, but we've just seen them, so I'm voting Max.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I want to say Sasha just because I want to watch you go mad with power before the thread takes her away from you forever.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

EDIT: Actually, go with Rachel. Don't wanna spoil the party too soon, should see what it's like facing 2 COs without interference.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 31, 2021

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Sasha for your first introduction of the true game

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Quackles posted:

I vote Rachel for this one. It'll be . . .

...interesting to see what happens re: enemy CO powers.

:emptyquote:

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
With Dual Strike, casualties are (almost) inevitable. Rachel should take command.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Rachel

Sasha's the better CO for the map but narratively Rachel will work a lot better.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Going for Colin since hey, you just said you couldn't wait to use him on a deployment map. Sasha's extra funds can be handy there too though.

CO notes: Colin is pretty much unchanged, which means he's still busted to all hell and back. Perhaps even more so now, for a very specific reason: black bombs. 80% of the cost, but since they don't technically "attack" they don't get his nerf. They're kinda disgusting.

Sasha is pretty neat. Opinion seems to be divided on how useful she is in competitive play (AWBW puts her in top tier (which isn't actually the top tier because broken exists), on about the same level as Hawke but below the broken COs like Colin, but the AWDS competitive scene doesn't rate her so much). Market Crash makes her indispensable in later campaign levels though. Much like Colin, you'll be getting far more use out of her COP than her SCOP.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 3, 2021

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
Umm, this is my dude we're talking about here. Colin's playstyle, on top of being in the first Tag battle, makes it much more likely you'll suffer casualties, and that's a no-no for my dude.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys
Part 11 (Battle) - Bombers Are The Reason I Get Up In The Morning

Good day, folks. We've already reached the first two-parter of this LP, would you believe? This map was long as hell, so let's get right into it. Two enemy COs! It's gonna be interesting.

So, let's find out exactly what nonsense we're in for.

Probably. Recent troop-movement intel points to this location.

The fighting is gettin' fierce, too. Black Hole is all up in our business. Who knows what they're up to?

I don't know, but I don't like it. And where on earth is my dude?

Looks like he and Sasha have just arrived.

...And I think that’s where this obsession with no casualties came from, because I couldn’t save Eric.

You’ve been blaming yourself for every loss, and seeing Fog of War reminds you of it, doesn’t it?

Oh my god, you’re right. I associate Fog of War with losing people. That’s why I hate it so much. Because suddenly, whether they live or die isn’t down to my strategy - it’s down to luck. Oh my god! I never realised how much I repressed this stuff!

There, there. Let it all out. You’re making such good progress.

I'm not quite sure what you two are talking about, but are you ready to go, my dude?

Oh! Yes, right, sounds good. What are we doing again?

We've tracked Black Hole to this location--and we're expecting trouble.

No kidding. There's no telling what they'll do when they get backed into a corner.

New strategy analyzed and understood. New weapon system deploying... Piperunner online. Enemy defeat imminent.

Tee hee hee! It's time for a tag battle!

A what.

So, my dude, who's gonna be best for this battle, do you think?

I mean, we're working off of basically no intel, so I really don't know. Hm...

Don't do it...

Rachel, I guess? Nice generalist.

Oh, I just KNEW you were going to say me. Alright, let's go, my dude.

Right, we've got Rachel in tow for this one. Technically she and Sasha tied in votes, but you all said Rachel would work better narratively, and I'm all about that narrative.

Oh, that does lead me onto an important point worth mentioning though: from now on, the CO selected for a map will also determine the soldiers used (i.e. Orange Star COs will use OS soldiers, Blue Moon COs will use BM soldiers, etc.) for the most part, which will naturally also determine who appears in the intermission updates. Some of you plot-focussed people may want to vote for certain soldiers and intermissions rather than the optimal CO for a map.

Right. Deployments.

Today’s Deployments
Dave, Infantry
Rin, Infantry
Fliss, Infantry
Alfonse, Infantry
Michael, APC
Fleur, APC
Julian, Tank
Ingo, Tank
Selena, Medium Tank
Fred, Medium Tank
Carter, Rockets
Lucy, Bomber
Raynald of Châtillon, Bomber

Raynald of Châtillon
Personality: Dependable but mysterious crusader.
Proficiencies: Bomber, Fighter, Cruiser, [unknown]

Heeeeey, it's Raynald! Been a while, buddy, let's go crusading.

Now get out of the way!

You heard the lady. Move or be crushed!

OK, so, let's talk strategy. There's three possible avenues connecting the top and bottom of this-

god drat it

I see it. It's sitting on one of Black Hole's infamous pipes. They're impervious to any type of attack.

My dislike of these pipes is long established.

This weapon is new to me, though.

Rachel, that's got to be an indirect-combat unit.

How can you tell?

Check out the size and angle of the barrel. I bet that thing can rain some hot death!

Huh, he's right. You're not just a pretty face, are you, Jake?

You think he's pretty?

Hey, you can't just twist everything I say! How would you like it if I spotted euphemisms in everything you say?

Anyway, Jake, I see what you're saying. In that case, we should get next to it and pound away.

Oh, you said it like that on PURPOSE.

It may be big, but there's only one of them. It'll blow up like anything else!

OK, now we can talk strategy. So, three chokepoints: the bridge in the middle, the passage on the left near the piperunner, and the small island with the airport. Of these, the rightmost one is most important. It's the only airport on the map, so having it will give us a massive advantage. However, Black Hole aren't going to give up these chokepoints for free; we'll have to play very aggressively to begin with.

And we can't play aggressively until this stupid pipe bitch is out of the way. So! Game plan: destroy piperunner, obtain airport, deploy a million bombers.

To start with I deploy two infantry - Dave and Rin. You will also note that we no longer have any deployment limitations. It's medium tank time, boys.

As usual with these deployment maps, the first few turns are going to be pretty slow.

Black Hole start with fewer properties and fewer bases than we do, though, so we've got an advantage. The important thing, of course, is maintaining that advantage.

Black Hole is totally scheming something.

They've deployed ONE INFANTRY.

Yeah, but I only see one army, but there are two COs. What's up with that?

Who knows? Just stay on your toes. They may be evil, but they're not stupid.

Word...

So, Dave begins capturing; Rin's gonna be heading to the airport once her Uber arrives.

Ah, there he is. Michael, everyone!

"Hey, Rin! Ready to roll?" Michael asks as he prepares his APC to drive off.

"Sure am!" Rin replies, beaming. "I'll meet you further ahead, alright?"

"On my way. We've got to grab that airport before Black Hole do, otherwise we're ruined!"

Rin nods. "Besides, I want to get back early so we can watch the new season of Spann Island!"

"I don't know if it's as watchable as Tabitha High, to be honest. But I'm happy watching whatever you and Lucy want, Rin!"

It's the worse team's turn.

Oh, THIS should be good.

What we do is change COs mid-battle to adapt to any condition on the field. When the time is right, we can use our Tag Power and attack on the same day!

WHAT.

What?!

What that means is that, once one CO is done, the other CO can issue orders. Do you understand the genius at work here? Huh? Do you?

Oh my god, it's loving...

I told you, my dude, we've been studying you! And we figured out your biggest weakness by looking at your first campaign - Lightning Strike! So I developed my own version of it, and now we can issue orders twice in one day!

Oh my god. First the black bomb, now this... Lash is determined to bring me down, huh?

Whoever's running the show at Black Hole now obviously knows that you were the one who beat Sturm twice. They're not messing around when it comes to you.

More importantly, my dude, can you win?

'Course I can. I'm the goddamn KINGMAKER.

Don't be so cocky--our Tag Power is super strong! If you and I were more compatible, our attack would be even stronger, but...

Twice the pain equals twice the terror.

Tee hee hee! That's Black Hole math! Prepare to get served!

OK, we might be hosed. That sounds absolutely obscene, and of course we don't get access to it. I suppose we probably will after this map, but for now, we're on our own.

The infantry, at least, aren't being very threatening right now.

So, let's get on for that airport and that piperunner. We can't waste any time now.

Michael drives ahead, and Rin hops in, ready to reach the airport next turn.

Dave finishes capturing the thing he was capturing. There's... not much else to do right now.

gently caress it, two more infantry. Fliss and Alfonse are here to capture even more stuff!

Black Hole are really slacking in the capturing department, for once. I'm sure it'll start up this turn.

Ah, yep, here we go.

They still haven't deployed anything more threatening than an infantry, though. I suppose Lash is very confident in her piperunner.

S'gonna be really embarrassing when it doesn't kill any of my units.

Admittedly, it has a pretty large range, which is annoying when there's a building right there that Dave could capture. But I suppose we'll have to play this one more tactically.

By which I mean, I'm going to throw tanks at the problem until it resolves itself.

Julian! If you wouldn't mind?

"Pleasure to be of service. My, my, Black Hole never learn, do they?" Julian murmurs, observing the battlefield before nodding. "Alright, let's get started."

"Newsflash, pal, we've already started. You're late to the party." Dave says sharply. Julian chuckles.

"I suppose so. Alright, I'll have that monstrosity on the pipe out of the way in a jiffy. One moment, gentlemen."

And Fleur as an APC, too. My infantry need more manoeuvrability.

"Fliss! Are you alright?" Fleur says, looking down at her sister, who nods.

"I... I'm OK! Let us fight the enemy together, Fleur."

"But of course, mon cherie. Stay close to me, now."

Meanwhile, Michael drops Rin off at the airport. Black Hole's not even close to getting it, so hey, we're good to go. The only question is going to be keeping the airport, but I have a plan for that.

Like most of my plans, it involves copious amounts of bombers, medium tanks and loving with the AI.

This Dick Captures A Property: 5

This one's partly-capturing a property. The good thing is that his slight delay in capturing this property means that he's gonna be too late to capture the base just above him, which is probably the more strategically useful of the two. I love the AI being unable to prioritise capturing the right things.

Hm. They have deployed a tank now, though. I'm going to have to get some more combat units on the field before long.

But right now, I've got a million things I need to capture, so may as well do that first.

Well, OK, it's more like three things, but still. Alfonse makes a start on the base over here; he'll be capturing most of the properties in this area, whilst the rest of my infantry handle other matters.

Like this airport, which Rin's almost done with. God, I can't wait for Operation Bomberstorm.

Fliss hops into Fleur, and the sister prepare to head south. Whilst staying out of piperunner range, anyway.

I'd kind of like to nab that middle base, but I don't feel like that enemy tank is going to let me do that. Worth a shot, though.

Guess we'll see how it goes now.

This Dick Captures A Property: 6

There's gonna be a lot of captures on this map, isn't there?

As predicted, the tank makes a beeline for Fleur and Fliss. I can't drop Fliss off on that base unless I want her to die, so... I guess I'll take them somewhere else. Maybe to capture that other base next to the piperunner.

And they've got a recon out. Huge movement, but not much damage.

I'm just concerned that the recon might go for Rin on the airport before Operation Bomberstorm can commence.

Julian goes for the piperunner, anyhow - that damage suggests to me that it's more bulky than rockets, but not a brick wall like the Black Cannons. Two shots from a tank is fine by me.

In case anyone's curious what they look like on the combat screen, here we go: rather dangerous-looking. No threat to a close-range target, though.

"Airport captured!" Rin announces delightedly, and Dave nods, holding up his transceiver.

"Atta girl. Now keep yourself safe, and my dude will handle the rest."

It's also a place where B copters and bombers can repair and refuel. Capturing this airport put us a lot closer to victory. Let's keep on rolling!

OK, that's a great start. Now I just need to worry about the other two chokepoints...

Alfonse is still merrily capturing stuff, so good for him. We'll need all the money we can get for those million bombers I ordered.

Whilst we wait for those, though, let's get our girl back on the field where she belongs. The Head Bitch of Orange Star, heavy tank driver and expert soldier, blonde bombshell with a heart of steel: Selena Hartford!

"Finally, I'm back with everyone else." Selena murmurs to herself, before picking up the transceiver. "All units, I'm ready to deploy. Fliss and Fleur, my dude's orders are to go for the factory beside the piperunner. Let's not waste any more time."

"R-right!" Fliss says, nodding.

Dave gives an excited grin. "Good to have you back with us, Selena!"

"But if Fleur and Fliss move away... Selena, what about the middle chokepoint?" asks Alfonse.

Selena's eyes flash as she turns her medium tank towards the battlefield, where moving visions of black hint at the advancing Black Hole army on the horizon. "I'll handle that myself. Now let's show Black Hole - and Commander Rachel - just what my dude's finest soldiers can do!"

Fleur drops Fliss off right on top of the factory - Fleur's in range of the piperunner, but she can take a hit. Fliss, who needs all her HP for capturing, is totally fine.

Let's see how this works out, anyway.

This Dick Captures A Property: 7

Thanks to Julian doing so much damage to it, this is barely any damage. Fleur's fine, and the piperunner's hosed next turn. I have a horrible feeling we're going to see lots of these things in future, though.

And because I had to get the girls out of there before that tank showed up, Black Hole soldiers have managed to get the middle base at the chokepoint. Selena can choke the point perfectly fine, but man, I really wish I'd got that one. It's going to be very annoying pushing ahead now.

I don't know why these assholes keep deploying recons. They're not even that good on plains, and they do fuckall damage, and it's not even Fog of War.

CO Power? Oh boy.

Oh, no, it's a CO Swap. Intriguing. So can they do that at any time, or just at the end of a turn? Either way, guess we're dealing with Lash now.

Right. Well. That was interesting.

I mean, Lash's existence doesn't change my game plan in the slightest, so let's just keep going. First, Julian eviscerates the piperunner.

And piperunners are such a pain to make, too.

Not a problem. Piperunners can now be built in factories.

And THIS is why we're wanting to capture that factory next to the piperunner - so they can't build any more of them.

We have Tag Powers and advantage. Victory is certain...

It still bums me out, but... Whatever! All we have to do is not get overrun or let them capture our HQ! Tee hee!

Speaking of that factory, let's capture it. Off you go, Fliss!

In the meantime, I move Fleur to Fliss' left. This means that the infantry can't reach Fliss this turn and attack her, so she'll be able to get the base without any problems.

And Dave can finally start capturing this building that was in the piperunner's range. That was starting to annoy my OCD.

Loooots of capturing this turn. We need hella cash.

Rin's gonna be capturing some stuff around here, too. My infantry are doing a great job, but I suppose that's what happens when you deploy four of them.

Selena heads for the middle, meanwhile. Whatever they deploy will have to sit face-to-face with her, and I highly doubt that they can afford anything more powerful than, like, a recon.

The enemy are not very good at saving up, I've noticed. It's a distinct advantage for the player, provided you can play around the numerous things they deploy each turn. Which, y'know, a single medium tank can usually do.

Oh boy, they have the base. This is going to be troublesome.

Unable to attack Fliss, the infantry settles for bullying Fleur some more. She already took a hit from a loving piperunner, so this infantry is barely anything to her.

Hm. There is a recon on the way, though... and an artillery, the natural predator of chokepoints. That could be a problem.

OK, this is going to get interesting.

For now, we're just

finishing off all

of the capturing.

Right, so now let's get rid of you. Julian can weaken the infantry, no problem.

Fliss captures the base, too! Now we can deploy things to the middle of the battlefield instead of about three to six business days away.

Selena embodies the spirit of Tina by using her medium tank to just slaughter whatever's in front of her. She can't one-shot the infantry, but she can do enough damage to make it think twice about loving around with her.

I think that's gonna be it for this turn. We're close to Operation Bomberstorm, though... very close.

god, why are bombers so expensive

These fuckwits haven't done anything remotely threatening yet, I'm not gonna lie. Are they just waiting for this mysterious "Tag Power" to activate?

The infantry shoots Fleur again, and does even less damage than last time. I'm surprised he didn't just explode with embarrassment; imagine doing no damage to a 6HP APC.

The recon and artillery are bound for the leftmost chokepoint, which is probably the best result for me. Meanwhile, a tank shoots Selena. It takes more damage than Selena does.

Oh boy, is it swap time again?

It is indeed. I didn't even notice that these guys were swapped. Their day-to-days are so inconsequential - y'know, if I was facing, like, a team of Grit and Eagle, it'd be worth keeping track of who's in control at any given team. But this? Meh.

Note to self: do not allow Grit and Eagle to work together ever.

Wait, wait, wait.

Can you take advantage of swapsies? Like, I assume the stats of the units are dependent on the current CO. So could you, say, deploy a Neotank with Colin at a knock-down price, then switch to Kanbei to give it 130/130 offense and defence without needing to pay for it? That can't be how it works, can it..?

I need this strategy for myself. I've got to see what kind of bullshit can be done with it.

I move Michael down to block off this forest before the recon can come in and annoy Rin all the way to death. He'll only have to hold it off for a little while - once Operation Bomberstorm is underway, we'll have a new, permanent solution to this pesky recon.

Speaking of, let's do it...

"Bomber C-0820 reporting for duty. All hail the Queen of the Skies, back where she belongs!" comes the triumphant cry of Lucy Ophelia Maxwell. "What am I bombing today?"

"I don't know yet; I'd await orders from my dude for now." Selena replies. "I'm sure you'll be perfect, though, Lucy. Everyone, prepare for incoming air support - we have the advantage now, so let's push ahead if we can!"

"Sounds perfect to me." drawls Julian. "Fleur, Fliss, are we ready to move on? Black Hole's waiting, and so is their HQ?"

"Y-yes!" Fliss says nervously. "We must capture it... we must win!"

And indeed, Julian and the girls will be handling the capture of the enemy HQ, if everything goes well. I just need to make sure everything, you know, goes well.

Selena can take out the tank, at least. She can't quite choke the point properly, either - I forgot that foot units can ford rivers. Ugh.

In order to keep her out of harm's way, I put Fliss back into Fleur. Admittedly, Fleur's not doing fantastically for HP, either... she's got to keep it together for now, though. We've not got time to heal her up, even with Rachel's faster repairs.

I don't remember how much damage recons do to APCs, but I decide not to risk it and weaken them with Julian.

Julian could do with some backup too, come to think of it.

Another tanks comes rumbling out of the base, and a familiar voice can be heard over the transceiver. "Hey, guys. Heard you need backup over to the west?"

Julian raises his eyebrows. "Ah, you must be Ingo, correct? Brother of Eric?"

Ingo's breath catches in his throat; it's not often that he hears someone mention the name of his deceased brother. Lucy puts her hands over her mouth - most soldiers know not to bring up Bill and Eric around Ingo, but evidently nobody told Julian.

"I... y-yeah. How did you know...?" Ingo murmurs. "Uh, never mind. Let's focus on pushing back against Black Hole!"

"Good luck, Ingo, Fleur, Fliss!" Lucy trills. "If you need backup, just let me know!"

So, yeah, that's about how everything shapes up this turn. Next turn, we begin Operation Bomberstorm.

And what's that, you ask? Well, you'll see after Black Hole do some useless stuff.

The theme of this turn is "Black Hole shoots APCs that can't fire back". It happens here and over there with Michael and Fleur.

Also, when I said useless stuff, I was wrong. This infantry attacks Selena and gets killed in the counter, which is worse than useless.

It's also a bit weird. I don't remember the AI suiciding on my units in previous games. Is that because it just didn't happen, or is this game's AI different?

These assholes keep poking at Fleur, too. Don't worry, she'll be fine.

...Mostly. She'll die if anything with an actual attack stat tries to hit her, so I'm going to have to be very careful.

Tee hee hee!

They're swapping again. Still don't care.

Righto, bomber time.

So, first stage of the operation: we get Michael the hell out of there. He's not gonna be able to tank very much, being, y'know, an APC. The squishy clerics of the Advance Wars world.

Then we capture a thing! This has nothing to do with the operation, I just wanted to show it off.

This is Operation Bomberstorm: as we know, most units can't fire on bombers, so they'll make the perfect chokepoints as we converge on the HQ. Lucy will put herself here for now and destroy this recon...

"Take THAT!" Lucy yells. "Man, it's good to be back in the sky! I've missed this, y'know?"

"You're doing great, Luce. Don't get cocky, though - just keep holding that line for now." Alfonse replies.

Julian finishes off the infantry, meanwhile.

And Ingo takes out the recon. Now we're free to move ahead! A little bit. Without running into that artillery.

Selena's just holding down the chokepoint as expected. Fantastic work from best girl - especially seeing as we do not want anti-airs hanging around, as they could challenge my bombers.

She could do with a friend, though, since I think Ingo and Julian might want backup. To that end, I deploy Fred.

That said, we're almost out of time here. We'll have to do the actually dangerous part of this map next time. Let's watch Black Hole do nothing useful for a bit, first.

This Dick Captures A Property: 8

Wow, they've managed to double their captured property numbers in one update. I'm almost impressed.

And then the rest of these losers hang around outside Lucy's area, none of them able to get past her or fire at her. Well done, Black Hole.

So! Next time we'll push ahead, get Fliss to the HQ and capture it, deploy way more bombers* and finish the map. All without running afoul of the dreaded Tag Power! (Hopefully.)

Later, folks!

* one more bomber

Part 12 (Intermission) - Tell Me Honestly

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 13, 2022

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You have a ton of missing portraits when Lash and Jugger start talking about the dreaded Tag Power.

I’ll leave it a surprise what exactly that is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This gonna be good :suspense:

And yeah, Colin/Kanbei works exactly that way. It's kinda underwhelming as far as Dual Strike bullshit goes, because sometimes you're forced to pay Kanbei prices for Colin stats.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

AweStriker posted:

You have a ton of missing portraits when Lash and Jugger start talking about the dreaded Tag Power.

I’ll leave it a surprise what exactly that is.

Fixed, sorry!

Omobono posted:

This gonna be good :suspense:

And yeah, Colin/Kanbei works exactly that way. It's kinda underwhelming as far as Dual Strike bullshit goes, because sometimes you're forced to pay Kanbei prices for Colin stats.

That does make sense, yeah. I'm intrigued to see what other Dual Strike bullshit. I've heard a lot of talk about this being the least balanced game (Eagle/Sami one-turn HQ captures, I seem to recall being a thing?)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

cosmicPostman posted:

Fixed, sorry!

That does make sense, yeah. I'm intrigued to see what other Dual Strike bullshit. I've heard a lot of talk about this being the least balanced game (Eagle/Sami one-turn HQ captures, I seem to recall being a thing?)

So since you're dealing with tags now, here's how it works.

You pick two CO's, whichever one is the first pick starts the battle as normal, and while a given CO is active, their units have the stats appropriate to that CO, as well as their various D2D benefits if any. You can swap for free, but doing so ends your turn then and there, so it really is only an 'end of turn' deal, by definition. Once swapped, the units already deployed switch to the 2nd CO's stats and advantages/disadvantages. So, if you had say, Andy/Sonja, and you switched to Sonja, your units would suddenly gain +1 vision.

As for powers, only the active CO can use their powers, and it works like normal. However, if *both* COs gain enough stars to use their SCOP, they can initiate a Tag Power. It's probably not going to come up on this mission, but when activated, the lead CO's SCOP activates, and they get to utilize their turn as they would. Then they can swap once they're ready to end the turn, but instead of the turn ending, the CO's swap, and *all units* (yes, including infantry!) get refreshed. The second CO's powers then activate, although the powers from the first CO deactivates. So you cannot, for example, have a Lash/Kanbei combo where Lash gives double terrain stars and Kanbei gets his superpowered units simultaneously, thank god. Although that would be a good combo since Lash's terrain-ignoring ability would allow units to get into good position and take better engagements at the start.

Do note that with Eagle as the lead CO, you effectively get three turns (although his infantry don't get refreshed from his power as per his power's mechanics). Some CO's are naturally better in the lead when using a tag power (Eagle should ALWAYS be the active CO when using a tag power), and some (like Kanbei, or Olaf) are better as the second. You can guess how, with two of Eagle's turns and then swapping to Sami how you can insta-capture an HQ from across the map utilizing this.

Finally, the 'compatibility' that Lash mentioned. Some COs have an affinity with each other; you can figure this out in their dossier, for each star shown there is a 5% luck factor given to the other CO.

Also do note, that the second CO only gains half the star-value from damaging units, so if you want to get the tag activated as quickly as possible, you'll have to swap back and forth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You know, all that talk about two enemy Co's made me think. They never have you fighting multiple enemies factions at once in any of the campaigns do they? Every map with more than 2 side is you leading a group against a huge enemy or having an ai buddy.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

So here we get our first close-up look at the infamous Black Hole pipelines, indestructible and uncrossable by even fighters and bombers.

Doesn't look too impressive, does it? Apparently planes in the AW-verse fly about a meter off the ground.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
maybe the piperunner is just really really big

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Part 13 (Battle) - The Most Irritating Chip Damage Ever Taken

Right, let's get back to it. So, if you remember last time...

It was our turn, these losers nearly have their Tag Power active, but Operation Bomberstorm means I'm prepared to block off/murder everything using my bombers now, which hopefully means the rest of this map will be smooth sailing.

Alfonse is still capturing things up here. There were a ton of buildings - I'm kind of surprised he's not finished getting them all yet. Ah well.

Meanwhile, our crew on the right are going to be our advance squad - Julian and Ingo in the tanks, Fred in the medium tank, and Fleur carrying Fliss to the HQ. Will our little Fliss get the HQ safely? Time will tell, but for now we're hanging back a little and staying safe.

Now that Lucy's holding the bridge down here, Michael and Rin are free to head back up, so I decide to load Rin up. I'm not sure what I want them to do now, honestly.

I also get some rockets to help support Selena in the centre. They'll take a few turns to actually move into range, but hey, should be useful. Carter, get in here!

"I-is that Carter?" Fliss asks over the transceiver. The cocky, self-confident reply is evidence enough.

"Hey there! Yeah, it's me. Where am I needed, chief?"

"It's 'Selena', not 'chief'," Selena sighs. "I need reinforcements at the centre bridge. Can you get here soon?"

"I'll do my best!" Carter says, and Dave nods, impressed.

"The kid's really growin' up." he murmurs to himself. "Now let's hope Fliss can do the same in this battle..."

And this is how things stand at the end of my turn. As you can see on the right, I'm actually pretty close to getting Rachel's SCOP - but they're close to their Tag Power. Not great.

My general strategy for getting through the Tag Power is pretty simple: I'm thinking if I destroy and weaken enough units, they won't have enough actual firepower to take advantage of their two-turn bullshit. That's a double-edged sword, though - if I play too aggressive trying to weaken everything, I may end up wide open to take a huge counterattack when the Tag Power drops.

You might have noticed that I moved Selena one space up at the end of my turn. That was primarily to make her job easier - yeah, she's gonna take quite a potent hit here, but she can choke this point way easier here, since anything in front of her will be on the bridge (0 defence stars) rather than the base (3 defence stars). Plus, it means that Carter can be in range to fire on anything in Selena's way by next turn, instead of in two turns' time.

...Admittedly, that was a bit more damage than I was expecting. 5HP on Selena, hm...

It's OK, I'm a genius, I'll figure this out. First things first, keeping up the aggression.

Let's get Carter onto the field to start shooting the lads. That should hold things back a bit, hopefully.

That said, Selena is getting a bit damaged now, and I care about her wellbeing slightly more than I did with Tina. So I pull a retreat - Lucy can fill that gap, I reckon.

And this image is called "my dude overestimated Lucy's movement capabilities".

gently caress.

No, it's OK. I've got a brilliant solution in mind. It's called...

...do something completely different on a different part of the map. Fred attacks this infantry with his violence!

Ingo follows up to kill it. Now we can make a neat little wall to keep Fleur and Fliss safe.

Like so! And everything will get restocked next turn too, which is good. We're getting closer to the enemy HQ!

OK, I need to do something about this god drat middle bridge. Lucy kills the mech that was about to cross over.

Michael can go back to holding this point off in the meantime. He'll be fine.

Right, let's just let these two do whatever and then figure out how to hold off the middle bridge next turn. I need thinking time.

I don't understand it. Usually applying a bomber and a medium tank to a problem makes it go away...

Unsurprisingly, the infantry shoot Michael, but they don't do much damage worth talking about. He'll survive.

And, uh, the middle chokepoint just kind of solved itself? The recon didn't even move into my territory. Weird.

Meanwhile, the anti-air's gone over to the rightmost bridge, so it's probably a good thing I moved Lucy away from that point - it was probably going for her.

Welp, not going to complain about Black Hole being useless dipshits. Let's take advantage of that.

Lucy massively weakens the recon, but it's not quite a kill. Still, it won't be a problem any further.

And I can afford a second bomber! Woo! This one's the one we've all been waiting for. The one, the only, motherfucking Raynald of Châtillon!

"Good morrow, fine soldiers! For the motherland, we fight! For the motherland, we CRUSADE!"

"Raynald! Nice of you to join us - let's fight from the skies together!" Lucy cries. "Or, crusade, I guess!"

"That guy really is a riot." chuckles Ingo. Fleur nods in agreement.

"He is... passionate, oui. But passion is just what we need to succeed."

Carter can now target anything that comes up to him, like so. Would've been a bit nicer if something was blocking off the middle, but honestly, maybe this is better? I want to keep the enemy distracted whilst the advance team take the HQ, so getting them all to cross the bridge might be useful.

Then again, I could just murder them all with bombers. That sounds like a more permanent solution.

This artillery is poorly-placed, meaning we can approach and attack that tank without fear of taking ranged fire. So, hey, let's kill it!

I mean, we're so close to...

Fred initiates on the poor bastard, ripping it to shreds. We can only attack it from two sides, so I'm bringing the big guns to guarantee I get the kill.

Next, we have Ingo finish it off, just like the infantry before. Julian's just going to just follow them and create a defensive wall to keep Fleur and Fliss out of danger.

But I think that was enough damage! Which means...

Hey, Rachel, can I ask a favour?

That was oddly polite of you. Are you feeling alright?

Oh my god, drop the sass and give me a loving airstrike.

That's more like the my dude I know. What do you need it for?

I... fuckin-- covering fire! What the hell else would you use airstrikes for?

Yeeeees.

This is pretty loving crucial - the Tag Power's coming next turn, as you can see from the rightmost side of the screen. And what better way to weaken the enemy forces than dropping several missiles on 'em? I'm ecstatic that I managed to get the SCOP before their Tag. That might've just won us the map.

Time to get missilinated!

Are... are you piggybacking off of my Super CO Power?

Everyone else gets to say cool one-liners when a SCOP goes off! Why do I never get to?

The first blow lands in the midst of this lot, bringing them down to 7HP...

Then again to 4HP...

And BOOM! The dust clears, leaving the largest portion of the enemy forces with just 1 measly HP. Try and threaten me with your Dollar Store Lightning Strike now, fuckers!

The most terrifying thing about them getting two turns is the possibility of their ranged units using the first turn to move, and the second to attack. This artillery's gonna be trouble, so I checked its movement range to make sure it can't go for Fleur/Fliss. If they fall, we are hosed.

Thankfully, I think we're fine! You'll note that I've also moved Selena over to the rightmost bridge. She'll, uh, make a slightly better wall than Michael in an APC, especially with a bit of Rachel-powered healing.

Oh boy. Let's see what the hell the Tag Power is.

Ah, Jugger. You sound like you mean business.

Flashy lightning crosses the screen, as everything grinds to a halt...

This would probably look better if I hadn't organised the top and bottom screens like this, but ah well. 100% power! How exciting. Looks like that bar can go beyond 100%, so I presume that's what Lash meant about the attack being stronger if they were closer. Different COs must have different power levels depending on who they're working with.

And then this infantry decided to attack the rockets, and I remembered Jugger's SCOP was one of those "maybe big damage, maybe not" powers.

...0 damage. I'm relatively confident this was a "maybe not" kind of attack.

Lash's turn! This is slightly more threatening. Probably.

Wait, I didn't check where the artillery had moved-

oh ok it moved north into a position where it isn't able to fire on anything..?

What the gently caress, Black Hole.

Oh yeah, Carter takes more damage, also. Thankfully, he's fine.

The other infantry goes for Alfonse, meanwhile! He's getting kind of close to my HQ, and I am not fond of that.

Oh, uh, never mind. He suicided on Alfonse.

Seriously, what the gently caress, Black Hole?

This is probably the only actually threatening thing that happens - Ingo takes a pretty heavy hit from this enemy tank, leaving him on 3HP. Thankfully, poor artillery movement means Lash can't even capitalise on this for a kill.

This infantry pokes Michael. Bridges provide no defence stars though, and Lash's power scales from stars, so... yeah, this still does the regular damage, somewhere in the region of "diddly" and "squat".

And that was the Tag Power! I can't be the only one who felt like that was supposed to be more threatening, right?

well, ok, the first time I did this map I lost like 4 units to it, but

So, uh, that happened. Let's get on with it. Michael beats a hasty retreat so Selena can do his job better than him, by murdering this infantry.

This thing's going to be an absolute motherfucker, though. Lash's SCOP just happened, so this tank technically has goddamn 6 defence stars, and I'm virtually 1 tank down because Ingo's barely going to scratch it. Right. How do I deal with this?

Well, first, may as well take advantage of the fact that this base was left empty. Raynald crusades over to sit on it, so that they can't deploy anything else from it. That also means Lucy is free to do what she wants now, so she can support the advance group.

I also move Carter down and Alfonse around a little bit. The infantry aren't much of a threat, but I still need to pay attention to them.

OK, first things first, let's get Ingo out of there. Julian and Fred can cover this.

Especially with Lucy's help.

loving look at this. 31% from a bomber against a tank. This should be illegal.

Julian follows up for a bit more damage, and the tank's looking ragged now. If we're lucky, we might just have enough...

Oh, medium tanks, you beautiful bastards. You never disappoint. The tanky, uh, tank, is gone!

So, hey, let's make a bit more progress with the map. Fleur can drop Fliss off here, which puts her exactly in range to capture the HQ, and she's safe from being attacked on all sides!

Dave's not got much to do now, so I just have him capture some stuff. It's... probably not going to be necessary, since we're so close to being done here.

At least the doubled defence stars are gone now. I really hate that CO Power.

Carter continues to get harassed. I might have to retreat him, now - he is taking a fair amount of damage.

"Hold on, Carter, I'll back you up!" Alfonse says.

"Oh, thank goodness. Thanks, Alfonse!" Carter replies. "How's things down south?"

"We're making progress." Julian replies silkily. "The girl - Fliss, was it? - is about to move on the enemy HQ now. Is everyone else holding out alright?"

"We're fine over here." Selena says, then her voice drops to a murmur. "I was hoping to see... well, it doesn't matter."

Rin looks across at Michael, grinning widely. "Looks like things are gonna be fine! Lucy and Raynald will easily crush the rest of the enemies, right?"

"Oh, certainly." Michael replies, with a lazy smile. "You remember what they were like during our first battle against Sturm? My dude knows how to use his bombers well."

All systems, go.

They're swapping. I probably prefer fighting Jugger to Lash now. The differences are minor, but Lash has a more consistent firepower advantage with her terrain-based attack damage, whereas Jugger's is just luck-based.

Right, let's not waste any more time. Fliss!

...I said Fliss. Not Dave. But uh, well done. Suppose I ought to check on the others before I move on the HQ.

I retreat Carter and Alfonse up here. Anything that goes for Carter will get harassed by Alfonse, and anything that targets Alfonse will be in Carter range, so theoretically, they should be fine now.

Selena's totally fine, but we already knew that.

OK, NOW Fliss can target the HQ. And with that, our victory is secure! Next turn, we're done.

Of course, we do need to kill everything nearby that might be a threat. Fred gets started on this anti-air.

I very wisely finish it off with Julian, and somehow didn't notice that he's now in artillery range. I took such pains to avoid this thing for most of the map, and then blunder like this? How typical of me.

Thankfully, this is why bombers were invented. Lucy, solve my problems for me!

And hey, if this is the final turn, we may as well finish off everything else. Raynald crusades up here to crusade this infantry's face off.

Right, now we're done. Looks like everything's taken care of!

This was quite the map. Lots of places where an unexpected problem could have made things much worse-

gently caress.

It's only chip damage, but any damage on a capturing infantry, as we all know, adds an extra turn onto proceedings. Goddamn recons and their massive range...

"Hang in there, Fliss!" Fleur shouts. "We'll defeat that recon, so stay focussed on capturing the QG!"

"I... I will!" Fliss replies, holding her gun firmly. "I must."

Smashin' you is gonna be fun!

gently caress off, Lash.

Sigh. Right, one more day, then, I guess. Let's kill some things to blow off some steam.

And also to stop them murdering Fliss. But mostly to blow off some steam.

Selena's broken through the group on the right, so she's just clearing up over there.

This is the most irritated I've ever been at the end of a map. Goddamn recon and its chip damage.

There's a tank here which is also going to be a problem for Fliss, so I liberally apply Lucy to the issue as per usual. It helps.

Fred can finish it without any trouble. Looks like Black Hole literally can't afford anything that's an actual threat to my team now.

Raynald can kill something too, which will be satisfying. 99% damage, nice, I love a good one-shot.

gently caress YOU.

Fine, I suppose Alfonse is going to clear this up. Wow, this map is going out of its way to irritate me right at the end.

Carter can finish this 1HP infantry off, too, who survived Raynald's previous attack. I think that's all the main problems dealt with now.

Oh yep, just one anti-air left.

This is, like, what? The sixth map where I've been in a position to both rout the map or take the HQ in the same turn?

I'm kind of surprised. I've not been planning it that way. I usually rout, so I think this time I'll go with the HQ capture. Fliss has worked hard for it, after all, and she's a good girl.

And Black Hole didn't do anything. They know that it would only piss me off further.

"I... I captured it!" Fliss announces, and beams with pride. Fleur nods, smiling back.

"Beautiful! Très bien, dear sister!"

"Nice work, kid. Congrats!" Dave replies. He knows the satisfaction of capturing an enemy HQ, and he's equally happy to know that Fliss pulled through.

God drat it, Jake, keep your mouth shut.

So that was a tag battle... It seemed odd at first, but it has its advantages. It seems worth studying.

I agree. This is no time for us to worry about appearances, either. Let's steal every technique and weapon Black Hole comes up with.

Did they really invent "working together with another person"?

Did you really invent "deploy a million medium tanks"?

HOW DARE YOU.

You may look all prim and proper, but you can get low-down and dirty, Sasha!

They built their empire with our materials. We're merely taking back what is ours.

Let's analyze the battle data so we can use tag tactics in our next fight.

Now we can drop some science on those fools. Things are finally lookin' up!

Indeed, we won pretty handily despite the odds being against us! Tag Battles look like they'll be fun once we get access to them. Now, let's see the mission scores-

THAT loving RECON COST ME THE PERFECT 300 POINT SCORE

I hate everything. One extra day... god drat you, recon. My eternal nemesis.

Right, what are we doing next, anyway? Seeing as I have continued to be incredibly awesome throughout these fights, and despite Black Hole's every effort to find my weaknesses, I feel like I'm on a roll.

Agreed. We must stop them here and now.

Black crystal perimete bases... Operational. Deployment of Black Arc flying fortress... Initiated.

Very well, Jugger. Report our preparations to that...Hawke. Lash and I will team up and attack. We will divide the earth and the sky between us, and our guns will sound a requiem for the allied troops. Spare no cost in defending the black crystal. Our foes will fall like leaves.

Tee hee hee! I can do death--no problem! Dibs on the Black Arc! Oooh! This is going to be so much fun!

That girl worries me...

Commander Koal. Am I to advise the land or the sky division?

Hmph. You will serve me better on the ground, Madam Director. The black crystal perimeter must be held at all costs. You will see to that.

Very well.

Oh, poo poo. This map looks pretty desert-like. Not good.

My poor Omega Land... I can't believe how far the desolation has spread. And these nasty sandstorms... I've got a bad feeling about this.

Tell me, Allied halfwits, how are you feeling today?

We were doing OK until we saw you, you pasty freak!

Your name is Rachel, is it not? You have an abrasive personality.

Hey, that's my line, fucker!

And you're an arrogant twit!

Wait, were you talking to him or me?

Both of you!! If you think we're not more than your match, you're in for a nasty surprise.

Learning to tag battle does not make us equals, you silly little cheerleader. Look at your precious homeland. It's like an old woman--wrinkled and wilting.

So you Black Hole vampires sucked this land dry?

Who else, young lion? Allow me to share with you the secret of the black crystal. In short, it bleeds a planet's life force and uses it to make physical materials. It is the source of Black Hole's miraculous regenerative powers.

You--

If the crystal is used too much, the earth suffers and becomes, well... Like this.

I'd tell you that we cared, but I'd be lying. And that would be wrong.

...I...

That's horrible! No... You're horrible!

What?! This is my homeland. These are my people. You can't... Ooooh... Don't even think I'm gonna squeeze out a tear after I bury you!

Hell yeah, Jake! That's the fire we need!

Heh heh! Such passion! Such bravado! We will twist it into abject despair.

Cool it, Jake. And stop egging him on, my dude. Biting at the enemy's taunts will only play into their hands. The black crystal has no attack power of its own. Let's rush it from the factory at the centre of the map.

Seems like our best shot of victory. Selena should be able to steamroll the enemy forces.

No. I'm afraid I can't allow that. Lash! Come out, come out wherever you are.

Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this!

Whoa! Look up at the top screen!

God drat it. To quote my best friend, can we at least try to have a passing relationship with the fourth wall, guys?

How'd that get there?

This is Lash! I'm calling you from the fabulous flying fortress, the Black Arc! I'm roughly 33,000 feet above the battlefield. And the view is spectacular!

Black Arc? Flying fortress? It's huge... How did you get that thing to fly?!

Tee hee hee! You're surprised! You're surprised! But wait! There's more! I'm even going to throw in a free bomb shower!

drat it... That's what I was afraid of. We're powerless whilst that thing's above us.

Umm... This isn't good.

Yeah, you think?! We have got to do something about that thing!

Rachel, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Probably the same thing I'm thinking, too.

Yep. If they're going to tag battle, then we have to do the same! Let's choose two COs--one for the main front and one for the second front. The main front is on the surface, and the second is up there with the Black Arc.

Oh, no. I assumed that was a given. I was thinking "those Black Cannons around the Black Arc are probably what power it, seeing as every Black Hole fortress you guys fought in the previous campaign worked like that". S'cool. Evidently we're on different wavelengths.

My dude, focus! I don't need to remind you that we can't afford to lose this fight!

Hey, I was talking ABOUT the battle!

You were being sarcastic! I'll confine you to the barracks if you keep talking back to me like that!

Please, you need me too much for that. Why don't you take a break from this battle, huh?

Oooh! I'm just as crucial to this war effort as you!

Only because of your fuckin' airstrikes! Got any more strings to your bow besides that?

...And off they go, arguing as always. I worry about those two.

Ah, I wouldn't. They've been like that since the wedding. Whilst they're, uh, busy, shall we choose our COs for this battle?

That sounds like a good idea. We've got to destroy that crystal!

Colin's right, ladies and gents. I'll see you next time with quite an intriguing-looking map - and we'll need some COs for it!

So, vote for which COs you want to use, from our usual list of Rachel, Jake, Max, Sasha and Colin. And also remember to vote for whether you want them to take the ground battle or the sky battle! Also also, voting will end on Wednesday, since I think I'm gonna need a bit of time to practise this map, based on what I've heard.

I got a bit of warning about this map, so I believe that in terms of COs, I can't control the sky battle directly, so I'd like some advice on who best to choose to minimise losses. Otherwise, see you next week!

Part 14 (Intermission) - The Impenetrable

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 3, 2022

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Max up top and Sasha on the ground seems like a really safe and potent combination.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Black Hole Tag Powers will put the fear of God in you, just you wait.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot sometimes you can't control the top screen AI. You'll have to experiment with the different AI modes (defensive, assault, etc) to see which gives you the best results.

Max is the obvious choice for the top screen. Go with Jake down the bottom.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In the confusion surrounding My Dude and Rachel's argument Collin and Sasha take to the field to get things done.

Unfortunately, due to poor leadership Collin was deployed to sky front

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Max for the sky fight and Jake on the ground front. Welcome to part 2 of the dual strike experience for your writings.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, you might want to come up with some cannon fodder names for the AI-controlled top screen maps.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, welcome to "Advance Wars AI stupidity will now get your units killed, instead of helping you find ways to save them". Uh, good luck I guess? I definitely think Max on the top front will give you the best chance, since his weaknesses won't be in play at all when he's restricted to nothing but air units.

As for who to fight the ground battle... honestly, anyone could work there. Maybe Colin to more easily feed Max planes?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The only correct voice for top screen is Max to be honest. There’s no indirect combat, plains, factories, anything that would give a different CO an advantage up there.

Bottom screen Colin.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I still say your best bet for the maps where you can't control half of it is to play by the rules Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn did, where if someone who was a player unit dies under other (or even enemy) control, they nonlethally retreat, but if they die in your hands they die. In this case, just have someone give sky team a standing "Retreat if critically wounded" order, while ground team plays by normal rules.

...Hell, Max has been around my dude long enough that it would make sense for him to take the sky and issue that order himself.

Ground battle? Eh, lets go Jake or Sasha, CP's choice. Sasha for gameplay reasons, Jake for the narrative.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, giving musclehead Max control of the new drone system may not have been the best idea (Max up top, they're unmanned aircraft and that's why you can't control them)

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Max in the sky and Jake on the ground.

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
Max takes to the skies while Sasha handles the ground forces.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Put your AI partner on "Defensive" via the intel option--they play much smarter, while still doing a good job exploiting openings.

Also, Max to the top, Sasha to the bottom. Gotta start getting EXP on the girl!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

You should be aware, that crystal is NOT just some decorative setpiece. All black hole units nearby it will heal 2hp of damage for free at the start of their turn!

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit

Fionordequester posted:

Max to the top, Sasha to the bottom.

I see what you did there.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can we cool it on the spoilers? This is supposed to be a blind run, even if we're only seeing the successful runs, and that doesn't work very well if every gimmick gets discussed in the thread before they come up in gameplay. If cosmicPostman wants something explained he can bring it up in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Rosalie_A posted:

Max up top and Sasha on the ground seems like a really safe and potent combination.

I know other people have voted this, but I have to mention, this reply being the very first one after the new part amused me, because it was the combination I was leaning towards personally. Great minds!

Ashsaber posted:

You know, giving musclehead Max control of the new drone system may not have been the best idea (Max up top, they're unmanned aircraft and that's why you can't control them)

SMaster777 posted:

I still say your best bet for the maps where you can't control half of it is to play by the rules Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn did, where if someone who was a player unit dies under other (or even enemy) control, they nonlethally retreat, but if they die in your hands they die. In this case, just have someone give sky team a standing "Retreat if critically wounded" order, while ground team plays by normal rules.

...Hell, Max has been around my dude long enough that it would make sense for him to take the sky and issue that order himself.

Ground battle? Eh, lets go Jake or Sasha, CP's choice. Sasha for gameplay reasons, Jake for the narrative.

You know, they're not bad ideas... fodder names, drone system, we'll have to see how it goes. I'd like to at least try it with no stipulations, since narratively that'll work best for what I want to do, but yeah, with the AI controlling my poor soldiers, we may need some kind of green-unit rule or something in place for them.

Rorac posted:

You should be aware, that crystal is NOT just some decorative setpiece. All black hole units nearby it will heal 2hp of damage for free at the start of their turn!

Well, that's absolutely terrifying. I presume that stacks with the healing from being on a property? That could be nasty.

kvx687 posted:

Can we cool it on the spoilers? This is supposed to be a blind run, even if we're only seeing the successful runs, and that doesn't work very well if every gimmick gets discussed in the thread before they come up in gameplay. If cosmicPostman wants something explained he can bring it up in the thread.

The concept of this being a blind run has always been a bit nebulous, since after the first game I was familiar with the mechanics and had a passing familiarity with the plot beats. I think there are certain instances where readers have been able to advise me on an approach to a map, which has made it easier to beat the map in time (thus preventing delays) or just made things a bit less frustrating for me.

Generally they've been good with not spoiling too much, and I have always appreciated that, but I do agree that spoilers should be tagged for myself, or readers who haven't played the game before (I don't know if there are any of those, but hey, covering all bases).