Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Every LP I've quietly thought to myself "This is the game where Cosmic Postman will have to drop this insane gimmick (the low deaths)" and I'm always pleasantly surprised when you manage to still perform really well with those restrictions. Looking forward to being surprised again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Mission 4 always makes me giggle. Even for a tutorial, why did they give you thirty minutes? I challenged myself as a kid to see how quickly I could beat the map using that timer, I think I got just under 30 seconds?

My theory on that is, early versions of the map had a shorter (but still very generous) time limit, but playtesters that were new to the series found it very stressful, even if they never actually came close to running out of time. This might have even discouraged them from reading too deeply into the info cards of all the new units on the map to learn the units (and who knows when the next time they'll see friendly rockets or missiles again?).

Extending it to something longer than ten minutes probably resulted in inexperienced players coming out of the mission with a better understanding of the new units for future maps, even if it didn't meaningfully change the difficulty. It's still definitely a tutorial mission, but maybe the gimmick helped prevent players from getting tutorial fatigue. Or maybe they didn't want to waste the devtime spent on making that fancy rocket map for the second screen :v:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Spiral Garden seems like it would have been a good map to be able to deploy your own piperunners, both because it would greatly increase how much firepower you can put into it's narrow corridors and it would have force the player to be more careful with breaking pipe seams.

Of course, since you didn't have them yet, they'll probably just be unused for the rest of the game.