Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The power creep in this game is just ludicrous. AW2 will always be my favourite but I can't deny that this game is just super fun to completely break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Poor Max got nerfed again in this game. No more movement bonuses from powers.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Koal is a slightly more offensively-specced Adder, imo. Adder has no D2D but with his ability to be almost constantly in COP mode he essentially has a 10% defense boost most days, while Koal is going to be relying more on his offensive D2D boost since his COP doesn't come around quite as often. Koal looks better on paper but Adder has the edge overall, since defense wins over offense in AW and Koal has to give up all of his to take advantage of the road boost.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

As a side note, B copters absolutely can fire on landers. Yours was just out of missiles and refused to switch to machine guns for whatever reason.

Also, cruisers being able to fire on other cruisers/battleships for scratch damage is new in this game. They still absolutely are overpriced garbage though.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2021

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The AI treats fog of war a little better in this game, but not much. In 1 and 2 the AI knew where your units were at all times and could target units with indirect fire regardless of vision (excepting woods and reefs); in DS, the AI still knows where your units are, but won't target them unless it has vision. It takes until Days of Ruin for the computer to play fair in fog.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Quackles posted:

I vote Rachel for this one. It'll be . . .

...interesting to see what happens re: enemy CO powers.

:emptyquote:

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

So here we get our first close-up look at the infamous Black Hole pipelines, indestructible and uncrossable by even fighters and bombers.

Doesn't look too impressive, does it? Apparently planes in the AW-verse fly about a meter off the ground.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, you might want to come up with some cannon fodder names for the AI-controlled top screen maps.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, deleting counts against your number of units lost. You can also only use it on units that haven't moved yet, which is weird, but I suppose is meant to balance out the possibility of deleting your front-line units to attack twice. As FoolyCharged noted, there is one map (in this game!) where it's actually useful in any way.

Kindle is interesting, probably my favourite of the new Black Hole COs; she continues the theme of "just like the old ones, but even more situational" but actually manages to carve out a niche for herself. Where Jugger is obviously Flak 2.0 and Koal is Adder 2.0, Kindle is a Lash that focuses exclusively on a single type of terrain - properties (not only cities). Where Lash would get a 15% offensive boost from parking in a property or 20% from an HQ space in this game, Kindle gets a whopping 40% boost at the expense of being bland anywhere else. Her CO power is fairly unique, doing hefty mass damage but only against enemy units on properties; the SCOP just gives her property-sitting units a straight-up terrifying additional 90% attack on top of the 40%. I really like her on the right map!

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 26, 2021

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yay, Harlow! And yay, Grimm! He's the most straightforward CO introduced since AW1, and he has an actual downside, which is seemingly rarer and rarer. Of course that means he's actually pretty low tier, but the straightforward all-round offensive boosts are sometimes just exactly what you need. He's all about hitting first, so positioning is key.

Oh, and you've unlocked CO Skills. Welcome to reason #438 that AW3 is broken as poo poo. Getting a CO to level 10 unlocks their alternate outfit, which is just casual wear. It's generally pretty underwhelming.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 3, 2021

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Did you discover the blank CO glitch?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Paul

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Javier :allears:
He continues the Green Earth = Europe tradition of Eagle=Germany, Drake=England, and Jess=France. No points for figuring out what country Javier represents, but what's more fun is that he also just straight-up is Don Quixote. His powers are pretty good, if heavily map dependent, as this mission is about to show you.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Nicely done with the enemy power management. That was a thing of beauty to return on.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

...how did those carriers get there?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oh God you chose this map to make even harder on yourself?

I can't wait.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I'm super impressed that you beat the last map on your first try! While not a hard map, it's really easy to forget about the enemy's healing and get nailed by a tank that's suddenly just a little bit stronger than you anticipated.

You're not going to beat this map on your first try.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Nicely done with the black bomb kiting!

Sensei posted:

Hmm...it is beyond the reach of our air forces, and even my copters.
I like the implication that his copters can go higher than anybody else's planes.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah Grit with a carrier has absolutely ridiculous range. Pop your SCOP and you can take down a plane anywhere in the entire world.
It's too bad about his lines, though.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Man I hate this mission. What a slog.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I propose clone My Dude henceforth be referred to as "Your Buddy."

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The good news is the primary front is really easy. The bad news is everyone on the second front is about to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Well done once again! It's been another fun ride.