Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
I feel like your worries should have been nipped way earlier. The 60-day rule only applies to indirect rollovers. Yours was direct… you never had a chance to hold that money for a minute, let alone 60 days.

It is normal for 401k’s to send you a check that you have to forward, but if it is written directly to the other institution fbo you, it is exactly the same as if it was electronically transferred, regardless of how long it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Gazpacho posted:

I suspected that and would have said it if I had found it laid out somewhere in IRS guidance for 401(k)s specifically, but I couldn't.

Here's a link directly to an IRS guideline: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/verifying-rollover-contributions-to-plans

quote:

The plan administrator should take reasonable steps to evaluate whether these conditions are met. If the funds are coming directly from the old plan or IRA trustee – for example, via a check made out to the new plan – then there is no 60-day requirement. If the funds were paid to the individual, the plan administrator should ask the individual to certify that the distribution was received not more than 60 days before the date of the rollover.

They really just don't want people using it for a short term loan where they actually touch the money.