Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
windows phone
View Results

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

Windows Phone was good.

Zune was good.

Bring it all back!

yeah, classic yospos curse where satya is good at bringing in the o365 and azure revenue, which yospos all around called was the kind of thing they needed to do, but it is also so *incredibly* boring, where ballmer pissing away money on dumb but pretty good stuff was much better posting material.

see also, of course: apple selling you some subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

if you count their legacy support contracts for embedded devices I'd guess that winmo 6.5 outlasted all the attempts to replace it

windows ce and windows embedded are still everywhere. our transit fare readers run it

also these things

it made for an absolutely terrible phone os if you intended to use your phone as a phone, if only because of issues with memory leaks and the primary failure mode being the dialer crashing and not making that in any way apparent until it dawns on you that you haven't had a call in a while.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lots of inventory trackers/scanners all still use it too

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Windows mobile5/6.5 ,WinCE, whatever it was called on my HTC Touch Pro 2.

the honeycomb menu was wack but that's what I loved about windows mobile, you could customize the "my home" screen or whatever they called it. I would go as far as to say it might have been even more customizable than android is. i would have all my email accounts on the home screen with the email address and unread email numbers, and it took up almost no space (Windows Phone 7 is the antithesis of this; lets gently caress up all your screen real estate with huge gaudy icons and no info).

i had just bought my first smartphone, a blackberry something (the one that somehow didn't have wifi) and a coworker told me I was nuts and to get a windows mobile phone especially since i'm such a technoweenie. the thing that sold me was when he told me i could literally copy and paste the entire contents of my car's GPS onto the phone and it would run it. my mind blew when I did that and sure enough it worked.

i was running torrent apps on my phone in 2008, it owned so much. any program you could think of, someone already made for it, usually back in the winCE days; it didn't matter, it was all compatible.

the things that held it back were a resisitive touch screen and pathetically small amounts of ram. i think the largest RAM windows mobile device topped out at 256mb. i remember when I would use my GPS and audiobooks player at the same time while i was driving, the audiobooks program force close due to lack of ram. i was praying a 512mb of ram phone would have come out before windows decided to ditch the OS but that never happened.

right before killing mobile 6.5 they actually had an app store. i remember buy Sonic Spinball from it.

anyway i think if they would have released a phone with decent ram and a capicitive touch screen they would still be in the game today but somehow microsoft didn't get the memo that the only reason anybody uses their stuff is customobility and backwards compatibility

i was running torrent apps on my phone in 2008, it owned so much. any program you could think of, someone already made for it, usually back in the winCE days; it didn't matter, it was all compatible.

i was running torrent apps on my phone in 2008, it owned so much

torrent apps on my phone

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

wince was a pile of crusty garbage that had no place in the modern smartphone era and ms was right to kill it

unfortunately they hosed up everything after that

im really curious about all the industrial/embedded poo poo that's still using wince though. are these vendors paying assloads to MS for continued support or are they all saying "gently caress it we'll do it live" for this poo poo? i would hope there's nothing new still being produced and sold running this crap but my gut says "lol"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i imagine some of them have migrated to windows embeded, others to linuces, but the majority are probably just running completely unsupported wince.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wince: the original cringe

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah man to download music and Howard Stern episodes every single day right after it aired. poo poo owned

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SO DEMANDING posted:

wince was a pile of crusty garbage that had no place in the modern smartphone era and ms was right to kill it

unfortunately they hosed up everything after that

im really curious about all the industrial/embedded poo poo that's still using wince though. are these vendors paying assloads to MS for continued support or are they all saying "gently caress it we'll do it live" for this poo poo? i would hope there's nothing new still being produced and sold running this crap but my gut says "lol"

one of my earliest gigs was making sure 25,000 pound things dont hit 180 pound things. it ran wince then, and as far as i can tell, it runs wince now.

i bet they love having to keep an old version of visual studio installed in a vm to compile for it.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cement edition

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
CE more like cecotroph

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's called "wince" because that's what you do when you see things running it

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i dated a girl that had a winphone. she had to reboot it everyday to keep getting text messages.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bored Online posted:

i dated a girl that had a winphone. she had to reboot it everyday to keep getting text messages.

my experience was entirely the opposite, in that i think i only ever rebooted a windows phone for software updates, probably the most solid software experience i've had out of a microsoft product really. all anecdotal of course, but would actually guess she had a flaky sim, they fail in pretty weird ways.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Bored Online posted:

*desperately thinking of excuse as to why I left the awkward computer goon on read*

“I, uh, must have not seen your text cause, uh, I have a fail-rear end win-phone. goddamn balmer, am I right?”

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i
miss my windows phone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i saw someone actually using a windows phone on the train once

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

i
miss my windows phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zam Wesell posted:

i
miss my windows phone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zam Wesell posted:

i
miss my windows mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*desperately thinking of excuse as to why I left the awkward computer goon on read*

“I, uh, must have not seen your text cause, uh, I have a fail-rear end win-phone. goddamn balmer, am I right?”

there it is