Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New cool Dauterman cover. If you click through it's a thread showing the original source of each costume.

https://twitter.com/616wandacomfort/status/1438929616236863498?t=Vj6qJhuqKOE6xhRSdr3NNQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Cat Wanda no buys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cat Wanda?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Cat Wanda?

Wanda as a cat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Wanda as a cat

But when was that in the comics? I tried googling both "cat wanda maximoff" and "Cat Avengers" and I just get fan art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

But when was that in the comics? I tried googling both "cat wanda maximoff" and "Cat Avengers" and I just get fan art.

When did I say it was in the comics?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Do you want to clarify what you're talking about because as it stands you seem to be growing slightly defensive about an idea that appears to maybe just exist in your head?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a joke on how there should be a cat Wanda.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry I was making a play on Cat Loki. I'm sorry if I came off defensive

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

oh no worries, I think I just misread the joke. apologies!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone commission Erica for cat Wanda

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also second sorry: Cat Thor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m listening to the Old Man Starlord podcast thing and I think Chris Eliot is my favourite Rocket voice. He really just nails the character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm glad that Superman has a pink-haired boyfriend but my god that is the worst artistic depiction of a kiss I have ever seen

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1447562887854186500?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 4

I wound up gapping due to other obligations taking up time and then Metroid: Dread (but not Dredd). Still, I want to get through these books in October as that it the only month in which you are legally allowed to read Clive Barker comics. (Ever read the Hellraiser series? That was an odd one and published by Marvel, too!)

Saint Sinner #3 - You know what this comic needed? Another origin story. This time it's the origin of the demon and angel living in the saint's head. Each of them existed in a trinity being (but not the same trinity being). The saint's buddy accidentally killed one-third of the demon's trinity allowing all the bad aspects of it to escape and run wild. The angel had the other two aspects of her trinity stripped away so she could get to earth and find the demon. That's why when they got into the saint's head, they got stuck there.

The static guy is also a time travelers so he meets himself and creates a time loop and I'm not sure which one was the past one and which was the future one since the one referred to in the future tense was the one in the present of the comic, but the past one got things from the future to give to the present one and this is worse than time travel stories usually are. Either way, when they escaped from hell a few issues ago they let a monster out so he tells the saint about it and they decide to go off and fix this.

Three issues in and it's still all set up. And not interesting set up, either. I still don't know what this comic is about other than being warmed over Vertigo.

Hokum and Hex #3 - My thoughts going in, "Please, no more painfully unfunny comedy."

It starts with an evil looking jack-in-the-box doing what should be catch-up but it's more like explaining to me what was going on in the last issue. Apparently Jack's abilities made a tank explode and shrapnel from that killed one of his comedian buddies. Or didn't kill her since she's in the hospital later. Also it says she took the injury in her chest and in the hospital she has a head wound. I'm just going to say that the words and pictures don't really match up well in this comic.

Then we're introduced to Wrath, a female bounty hunter who looks like something Rob Liefeld would reject for being a crappy design. After taking down some generic thugs, she's offered the job of capturing Jack by a media company who want to put him on television. She'll do it for free because she likes the challenge but when her employer reminds her that they need him alive, she says that as a bounty hunter she'll kill him.

Jack meanwhile is doing the "I never asked for these powers" angst poo poo that we've seen a thousand times. He gets attacked by Fury who takes time in the fight to give us the "As a woman, I am extra tough but nobody every let me be extra tough grr..." thing that idiots used to think was feminist. Jack refuses to use his abilities in the fight because it somehow proves that he's in control of his own destiny. Massive property damage ensues and then when the fight is over, an army of cops show up.

This book is still trying to be funny and is still just painful. Jack's powers are that he can do anything which gives him the Green Lantern problem of "You can do anything and this is what you chose?"

Hyperkind #3 - We start out getting some background on these characters. Armata's a student and is researching the superhero team who had the powers before them. Bliss is a stripper whose boss is also her crack dealer; truly a hero for the Clinton era. Amokk has found a golden age comic based on that hero team and decides to smuggle some pot in order to afford it. Logix almost accidentally deletes the Internet because it couldn't find anything online about the team. The investigations lead to Paragon Studios whose evil chairperson knows about the superheroes and is covering it up.

Meanwhile, Bliss can see black blobs draining people's souls. She finds out that attacking them makes the blobs visible to others, so she does that and it turns into a giant black blobby baby that likes to eat superheroes. The team gathers and then immediately comes to the conclusion that the way to beat it is to do nothing. They do and the blob baby dies.

Well, at least this book has a plot. It's also doing 90's comics about as hard as you can 90's comics without going full Image. These are some unlikable characters and the book does not make me want to read any more about them.

Ectokid #3 - Dex is checking out the ghostworld of New Orleans when he's tackled by Jindrak, a guy who was a friend of his missing father's and who knows enough to get Dex off the street and out of sight. They're already being hunted by a ghost witch. While they're hanging out, another one of Dex's father's friends shows up: Edgar Allan Poe. He's brought along some more friends including Cyrano de Bergerac. One of the characters introduced three panels before turns out to be a traitor and snatches away a letter from Dex's father. Then the ghost witch and her legion shows up. Fortunately, Poe is a better fighter than you'd expect from a sickly writer who died of alcoholism. However, Jindrak gets killed and when you get killed in ghostworld, some nasty things called etherites show up to wipe everyone in the vicinity out. Which they do and the cliffhanger is that everybody including Dex are just gone.

Okay, I can do without shoving all of the historical figures in, and the fight scene is particularly incoherent in terms of art. They're in a room, then they're fighting on steps and holding back the hoard, then they've gotten away from the hoard onto a roof, then the hoard is back and around them and there's no transition between any of this. So far, this is the Razorline comic with the most going on and I actually kind of want an answer to what the deal is with the etherites. I know I probably won't get it, but I think there's a chance for me to find out why a ghost getting killed prompts this overwhelming response.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RIP Comixology. Completely replaced by Kindle store, no more DRM-free downloads, shittier commissions for creative teams, end of an era of decent digital distribution.

Can't imagine someone would be able to create a competitor now vs Amazon's monopoly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Saoshyant posted:

RIP Comixology. Completely replaced by Kindle store, no more DRM-free downloads, shittier commissions for creative teams, end of an era of decent digital distribution.

Can't imagine someone would be able to create a competitor now vs Amazon's monopoly.

It’s been owned by Amazon for a while

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bobkatt013 posted:

It’s been owned by Amazon for a while

There's a world of difference between being owned by and being entirely replaced by, especially when there's absolutely no advantages either for the consumers or the authors.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I ended up opening a file with my comic shop again for just the Non-Marvel stuff again because of this. I closed it last December when my daughter was born, so it was only closed for about 10 months. Managed to get all the issues of Die that came out in between during one of their sales too, so that worked out.

Thank you Amazon for making me support a local business again!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Saoshyant posted:

Well there's ways to rip files from the Kindle store in DRM free ways, so should work for comics from there too

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't see myself using the Amazon storefront to browse comics since it's so awful, so it might be time for me to open a pull list at the comic shop again.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of pull lists at comic shops, I'm going to be moving to an area where the closest comic shop is over an hour away. I keep hearing that DCBS is a good site for getting your pull lists by mail. Anyone have experience with them? Is there anything better?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So The Mads (Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu) did a riff of an old Captain Marvel serial from the 40s and being so old it has some weird stuff. Like Captain Marvel manning a machine gun and shooting a group of bad guys who were running away. Not exactly his most heroic moment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

muscles like this! posted:

So The Mads (Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu) did a riff of an old Captain Marvel serial from the 40s and being so old it has some weird stuff. Like Captain Marvel manning a machine gun and shooting a group of bad guys who were running away. Not exactly his most heroic moment.

Were they Nazis cause if so then it was perfectly alright to do

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, they were natives of whatever country it was supposed to be who weren't too thrilled with the white people looting a sacred tomb.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think you'll find that the wisdom of a bronze age king told him it was perfectly okay to do that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 5

I spotted something in a next issue blurb last time that made me nervous. One of these comics kicks off the Razorline crossover. So that'll be "fun".

Ectokid #4 - Firing off with the comic that's actually okay. The weird guys that vaporized Dex last issue sent him back to his own body which made me go, "That's not how this comic works." Turns out we've had a writer switch. James Robinson is off the book and the person is credited as "Larry Wachowski", which would be Lana Wachowski to use her proper name. She had written for Marvel's Hellraiser series before this and this would be right before her sister and her started directing movies.

Anyway, it means that nothing matches up to the previous issues. Now Dex can control his ectoplasm and hit people with it. He pulled a note from his father out of the ghost world when he was sent back with directions on how to locate his father. Then he goes off to meet some of his friends at his favorite strip club, but everyone there has been massacred. A woman he knew stuck around after death to let him know that their killers, some bad guys who have been subplotting around for the past few issues, know about Dex's mother and are going after her next. He heads to the mental institution where there's a fight, they get away with his mom, and then use her to force him to locate Dex's father.

Not a good sign when a book completely flips after three issues.

Hokum & Hex #4 - Trip is busted by the police because of the property damage incurred in the fight last issue, all of which was done by super bounty hunter Wrath. Trip restrained her by turning her costume to metal, but since it was basically a strapless bathing suit I don't really see how that was restraints. Anyway, he agrees to turn it back and for some reason she decides to instantly attack him in front of all the police. So her turns her costume into plastic wrap. Ho ho ho :geno:, he stripped a woman naked in public. loving 90's.

This comic gets way more hosed up that that, too. As Trip is being booked, an old man suddenly remembers that he was a superhero: Z-Man. He had the ability to fire eye beams that disintegrated things. A media mogul is also watching and he's mad because he's spent decades erasing superheroes from the public consciousness and it's unraveling. And an rock monster with a goat skull head and the ability to control time appears and is out for revenge. The old superhero turns up at Trip's arraignment and disintegrates a cop. Then we get his backstory where he was the sidekick to Paxis, the old hero team at the center of Hyperkind. One time when he saved their lives, they returned the favor by liberating a concentration camp.

So superbeings with the power to stop the Holocausts only liberated one camp because they owed a Jewish kid a favor. gently caress those assholes and gently caress Frank Lovece for thinking this was a heroic action.

Anyway, he got Dr. Manhattaned into superpowers, which seems out of place since so far all of the superpowers in these books have been mystical in nature, but this guy is getting a silver age origin. Then he went on to be a hero until he accidentally killed another member of Paxis.

After relating this, skull-face kicks in the door and starts using his time power to kill Z-Man over and over again. Trip just crushes the skull guy anticlimactically. Z-Man is dead, but when he died the police officer he just disintegrated comes back which would imply that everything Z-Man disintegrated should have come back too. And then we're left on a cliffhanger as Trip is summoned to host Friday Night Live.

Hyperkind #4 - The media mogul is our next big villain as he has a personal grudge against superheroes and wiped them all out last time. He also controls all media, murders someone for running a news report on the Hyperkind, murders another employee for figuring out that he has mind control gas, puts a public challenge out to Hyperkind to lure them into a trap, then has a public battle between his private army and the superheroes. They all wind up captured, the end.

The rest of the book is the Hyperkind doing the superhero team fighting among themselves which you know makes them very relatable. Or come across as a giant pack of assholes that you wouldn't want to read about. One of those two.

Saint Sinner #4 - Four issues in and we have a plot! SS has been summoned back to earth by people praying over a tentacle monster killing people in the river. He's the one who let that monster out of hell, so he has to deal with it. Also, there's an ad man who doesn't want to be evil, though the book for some reason thinks you can be in advertising and not be evil. His boss wants to make commercials that provoke fear in order to get people to buy things and their newest commercial is going to involve a tentacle monster in the river. The boss is being possessed by other demons who were trying to lure Saint Sinner into a trap. Once there, he finds the monster, opens a portal to hell that it goes through an explodes, and the human soul gets pulled out of Saint Sinner's body leaving the angel and demon behind.

This is the toughest book to read because they still screw around with the format in "artistic" ways that make it nearly impossible to figure out what's going on or read the text. It's a real headache of a book.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I think you'll find that it is perfectly canon:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure about where they decided to mount those guns

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I recently learned that Captain Marvel had an African American sidekick named Steamboat, and the depiction was considered racist even by the standards of the early 40s. Comics with steamboat have not been collected, as far as I’m aware.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I recently learned that Captain Marvel had an African American sidekick named Steamboat, and the depiction was considered racist even by the standards of the early 40s. Comics with steamboat have not been collected, as far as I’m aware.

He did though I don't know if I'd say Steamboat was racist by the standards of the 40's. He was very much a minstrel show character and an unfortunately small number people at the time were pointing out the racism in those. On the golden age racism scale, Steamboat is about a 7, as racist as you can get and still be a "positive" portrayal.

Some comics with him have been collected. There was a Monster Society of Evil collection a long time ago (like the 80s or 90s) and he was in that story. I don't remember seeing him in the Shazan Archives I have, though I don't have the complete set...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Soonmot posted:

I'm not sure about where they decided to mount those guns

It was a real thing, early fighter plane guns were synced with the propeller so they’d not hit the blades somehow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

It was a real thing, early fighter plane guns were synced with the propeller so they’d not hit the blades somehow.

Synchronization gear

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I can't see myself using the Amazon storefront to browse comics since it's so awful, so it might be time for me to open a pull list at the comic shop again.

Marvel at least lets you buy their comics from their own website, though it's kinda poo poo to browse from a computer too, maybe better with an app. Trying to read comics in Unlimited is way easier with the unlimited app than through their website.

Not sure about Image or DC.

If Comixology being gone and using the Amazon store is enough of a pain that a lot of people stop buying comics online I could see some combination of Image, Darkhorse, Boom, and possibly one or both of the big two throwing some venture capital at someone to make a better online store. If they laid off people who were working on the Comixology storefront/app when they folded it in to Amazon there's some people with the experience necessary to create one that need a new job.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm somewhat confused, I have Comixology open right now and it looks like I'm able to buy things from it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's *going away*. It's not *gone* and they haven't given a specific date when the changeover will happen last I checked.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

holy poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clive Barker's Razorline Part 6

Whew. Over halfway there. Taking stock at this point, these are generally bad comics. Ectokid started out okay, but that was the only one. The thing is, they're not bad comics in a "You've got to check this poo poo out!" way, they're bad comics in the "So you really don't have any interesting ideas?" way. I'm seeing it through to the end because I doubt anybody has cared to read these books in over twenty years and they're a forgotten part of Marvel comics, but I was hoping for more crazy flailing when started this read.

Anyway, crossover month! Not line wide, but Hyperkind crosses over with Hokum and Hex while Saint Sinner crosses over with Ectokid.

Hyperkind #5 - When last we left the angry superteens who fought amongst themselves more than actual threats, they had been captured by the evil media mogul who wanted to erase superheroes. And he's decided to explain his evil plan to them before he kills them. No, that's actually what he says. In the extended flashback that makes up the bulk of the issue we find out that the lizardman was the leader of the original superhero team. Also the mogul killed almost all of the previous heroes in the dumbest ways possible. "Hey guy who omniscience powers.... have you ever tried knowing everything?" "Hey logic brain woman, have you considered the fact that half your team vanishing suddenly might mean that you should give up?" Also, he made people forget about superheroes with mind control gas he spread around the world.

After giving our heroes all of the backstory, the new logic brain guy cuts a deal to give the mogul the omniscience power in exchange for letting them go. It was a trick, though, and he uses the mind control gas to make the mogul forget about capturing them. But here comes Trip from Hokum & Hex...

Hokum & Hex #5 - Trip is rehearsing for Friday Night Live and intentionally blowing his lines because his powers aren't working and he doesn't want to try to use them on television. The old wizard who looks like his ex-girlfriend comes up with a plan to talk to the god that gave him his powers and in that conversation we learn that Trip's powers to turn anything into anything work best on simple things that he understands or has a connection to. Kind of an arbitrary kryptonite, but okay. Meanwhile, the evil god is making his own supervillain which he calls "Bloodshed" because it's the 90's.

Trip heads out to a strip club where the Hyperkind member who makes illusions is dancing. She winds up looking like his ex-girlfriend for a moment and that sets off a heroes have a misunderstanding and start fighting scene. Once that's over with, they come up with a plan to deal with the media mogul who's erasing people's memories of superheroes. On Friday Night Live, Trip is going to turn things into statues of superheroes and then the new superheroes will crash the show. Just before he does that, some new supervillains attack and it's to be continued in Hyperkind #6.

I had to mention that this comic had a joke about "P. C. culture" just so you know how lovely it is.

Ectokid #5 - Part one of "Sir Sigmoid's Arcadia" so this is a proper crossover storyline. Dex is astral projecting himself to ghost world again even though that's not how his powers worked in the first three issues. Once there, he meets a worm that crawls in his ear and takes over his brain. But this Mr. Mind wannabe just sends him to an evil carnival where people pay ectoplasmic coins that they generate from themselves to play the games. Naturally the games involve inflicting violence on small creatures who claim to be other people who came to the carnival. While there, Dex meets Phil, the human third of Saint Sinner who got ripped out of the other two in his own book last month. The two hit it off and wind up in cages before Sigmoid, the demon running the carnival. Dex agrees to give him lots of ectoplasm for letting Phil go. Then after Sigmoid engorges himself on Dex's milky white goo, Dex explodes it out of him since he can control his ectoplasm like that. As the two half-dead humans run off, Sigmoid pulls himself together and swears revenge.

There's a lot of word balloons in this issue that don't have tails and the speakers are having their conversation in the distant background. It makes it a challenge to understand the comic a lot of the time. Hopefully this doesn't keep happening.

Saint Sinner #5 - So that cliffhanger gets resolved fast. Page 1: Sigmoid is confronting the on the run pair. Page 2: Phil sucks his own coins out of Sigmoid. Page 3: Sigmoid explodes as all the children souls that he's eaten escape. Dex then heads back to his body, but Phil isn't willing to return because he's got an angel and demon at home waiting for him.

Speaking of them, they're stumbling around the city unable to properly control the body. They get hit by a car, try to kill someone by giving them bad directions, and the demon decides he'll get free by killing the body.

Back at the carnival, Phil meets a girl who happens to have that worm in her ear. She's sucking his soul out one piece at a time. But eventually the carnival is revealed to be the real demon. Phil realizes it only likes eating children and he's no longer a teenager because he spent a decade in hell. With that knowledge, his soul self ages and pulls back all the missing bits. The children that were eaten explode out of the carnival and every dead kid is happy.

I'm actually surprised that this was a coherent issue of Saint Sinner. There was a story and I wasn't spending my entire time trying to parse bad lettering. The art isn't nearly as good, though. This is much more of a traditionally illustrated issue than the previous ones were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know not everyone goes beyond their bookmarks (I usually don't), so just posting a link here to a thread I only found the other day which may interest some people.

Mac9k5 has posted the first couple issues of their black and white comic (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960770), and they recently also posted images from several of the pages. It's a black and white sci-fi adventure story that reminds me a lot of those 80s/90s indie b&w boom comics. Heavy on the duo-shade, monsters, flying machines, blood. No weird T&A. Pretty cool and deserving of more eyes on it.